So ..pissed...off

Bloodskye

I got to 397 days, stockpiled huge amounts of goodies and resources, braved all TLD had to offer for traps, predators, death defying treks across every region, and what happens?? I fell through the damn WORLD today in ravine right AFTER passing the gap in the trestle safety. I'm not only disappointed but angry. I was going for my first 500 day run and now I have to start over!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

No but I should. It happened before in PV outside the community center and instead of dying I was placed at the entrance to the mine that leads to Coastal Highway. Happened twice in a row. I figured this last time would be like the two previous times but no, insta death.

10 minutes ago, Bloodskye said:

No but I should. It happened before in PV outside the community center and instead of dying I was placed at the entrance to the mine that leads to Coastal Highway. Happened twice in a row. I figured this last time would be like the two previous times but no, insta death.

Anywhere near that trestle is instant death I think..   but falling through the world is a pretty big issue in itself.. I'd file a report with as much detail as possible.

• Upvote 2

@Bloodskye
I've lost many runs to instant kill walls... but I've never felt it was worth the energy to get upset about.  
I just start a new run... besides, I feel like the first few weeks of the survival struggle are the most fun.

I get that losing a lot of progress to a bug or instant kill wall can be frustrating... but you're not alone.  I had to restart one of my largest personal challenges four separate times due to things like this... sure it was a bummer, but I love the game... so ultimately, I never mind having to start again. 

Honestly bugs/glitches just happen sometimes, I recommend creating a support ticket... that way Hinterland can track and troubleshoot your particular situation.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

@Bloodskye
I've lost many runs to instant kill walls... but I've never felt it was worth the energy to get upset about.  
I just start a new run... besides, I feel like the first few weeks of the survival struggle are the most fun.

I get that losing a lot of progress to a bug or instant kill wall can be frustrating... but you're not alone.  I had to restart one of my largest personal challenges four separate times due to things like this... sure it was a bummer, but I love the game... so ultimately, I never mind having to start again. 

Honestly bugs/glitches just happen sometimes, I recommend creating a support ticket... that way Hinterland can track and troubleshoot your particular situation.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I'm trying to be optimistic but man it was initially frustrating. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. Maybe starting over will make some things not bugged anymore like certain recipes and mementos. I'm going to leave a rock cache where my last survivor died as a cairn of sorts. Starting over really isn't that bad and I'm going to make the most of it.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Since the release of the first part of the DLC, i always keep backups of my very old saves, just in case..

This is of course not optimal, but it's better than get the risk of losing your save forever for a bug or game error.

I highly recommend to make backups or even use the save data mod ;)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sito said:

Where did you fall through? I have crossed that trestle a thousand times by now and never had any problem other than my heart rate and hands shaking.

It was right after the trestle and leading into Coastal Highway. As soon as i passed the gap I moved right before the loading screen to CH and fell through the environment. I have also passed over that trestle a thousand times and only came out with the worry that I might fall but didn't. It's actually kind of funny in a way, I always thought if I was going to die in this game it would be on that trestle. Irony. I didn't exactly die on the actual trestle but it was in the same area, I just think it's humorous. I remember the first time I crossed the dangerous gap on my first playthrough, I didn't dare to cross it for a while. When I finally mustered up the courage and found Mystery Lake I was delighted. I avoided that trestle like the plague and went through Pleasant Valley as much as possible coming back from Coastal Highway for the longest time. I soon learned it was too much of a burn on my resources and time so I was just really careful when I did have to go over the trestle. I'm sure I'll go over it a thousand more times.

Edited by Bloodskye
Errors
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure if you are playing on PC, but if you have the opportunity I'd suggest backing up your saves. I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like so losing a long tenured survivor to a bug would be terrible to my overall enjoyment of the game. 

7 hours ago, Dan_ said:

I'm not sure if you are playing on PC, but if you have the opportunity I'd suggest backing up your saves. I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like so losing a long tenured survivor to a bug would be terrible to my overall enjoyment of the game. 

I play in PS4 

19 hours ago, Bloodskye said:

It was right after the trestle and leading into Coastal Highway. As soon as i passed the gap I moved right before the loading screen to CH and fell through the environment. I have also passed over that trestle a thousand times and only came out with the worry that I might fall but didn't. It's actually kind of funny in a way, I always thought if I was going to die in this game it would be on that trestle. Irony. I didn't exactly die on the actual trestle but it was in the same area, I just think it's humorous. I remember the first time I crossed the dangerous gap on my first playthrough, I didn't dare to cross it for a while. When I finally mustered up the courage and found Mystery Lake I was delighted. I avoided that trestle like the plague and went through Pleasant Valley as much as possible coming back from Coastal Highway for the longest time. I soon learned it was too much of a burn on my resources and time so I was just really careful when I did have to go over the trestle. I'm sure I'll go over it a thousand more times.

Losing a run like that burns. But oh well. There are lots of silly ways to die in TLD. The rope bridges scare the death out of me but I actually died by walking off the log bridge in Ravine.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sito said:

Losing a run like that burns. But oh well. There are lots of silly ways to die in TLD. The rope bridges scare the death out of me but I actually died by walking off the log bridge in Ravine.

That log is so awkward to get off. ,it feels like it's trying to push you off. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sito said:

I generally avoid Ravine and HRV whenever possible. They're my least favorite places to be.

As for the rope bridges, the first one I ever crossed was the one leading into Blackrock and it terrified me. There's no easy way about it. You either dart forward and hope for the best or tiptoe over them. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2023 at 4:49 AM, Bloodskye said:

I generally avoid Ravine and HRV whenever possible. They're my least favorite places to be.

As for the rope bridges, the first one I ever crossed was the one leading into Blackrock and it terrified me. There's no easy way about it. You either dart forward and hope for the best or tiptoe over them. 

I have to down a couple drinks before doing a rope bridge or my hands shake so bad that I can't operate my trackpad. I find if I rock my finger left and right without actually moving it on the pad it is enough to keep me centered on the bridge as it sways. If I am doing the trestle crossing I have to be very slow and deliberate to make sure I am on the center of the rail then turn properly to get on the opposite rail and line myself up for the final crossing. Usually my wife picks this time to start talking to me. Good thing I don't have a cat. I hear there are lots of deaths due to a cat incident at the wrong time. :)

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Sito said:

I find if I rock my finger left and right without actually moving it on the pad it is enough to keep me centered on the bridge as it sways.

I don't know if it's different on console, but on Steam it's sufficient to simply walk straight ahead and let the bridge sway without changing course at all.  You'll rarely be centered, but I've done it this way hundreds of times and not fallen off.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I don't know if it's different on console, but on Steam it's sufficient to simply walk straight ahead and let the bridge sway without changing course at all.  You'll rarely be centered, but I've done it this way hundreds of times and not fallen off.

For the longest time I didn't think you could fall from the rope bridges. Sure there's openings and one could simply just veer off and fall to their doom but I'm on console and I seem to just slightly bounce off the rope railing usually. Never tried the open spots for obvious reasons.

• Upvote 1

Not sure about PS saves. But for next time would it be suitable pressing PS button and close the app before death occurs? I know it is working for SnowRunner. One time a bug sent my car flying. I immediatelly pressed the PS button, closed and opened the game and got to save before. Not sure though how TLD saves works on PS.

2 hours ago, acada said:

Not sure about PS saves. But for next time would it be suitable pressing PS button and close the app before death occurs? I know it is working for SnowRunner. One time a bug sent my car flying. I immediatelly pressed the PS button, closed and opened the game and got to save before. Not sure though how TLD saves works on PS.

That's actually something I thought to do, however as I said, it had happened previously and the game placed me in another location so I carried on after saving and restarting. This time I'd had just killed me. I was expecting the previous results but nope, instadeath.

Sorry to hear that. Beeing occasional player, I have not achieved 500 day goal as well. Several deaths (me beeing stupid usualy) and then big update happened and old save 400+ days is not usable. So the goal is still on horizon. And thats the silver lining for me.

6 hours ago, acada said:

Sorry to hear that. Beeing occasional player, I have not achieved 500 day goal as well. Several deaths (me beeing stupid usualy) and then big update happened and old save 400+ days is not usable. So the goal is still on horizon. And thats the silver lining for me.

We'll get there! Determination and survival is key.