Killing a bear with a bow on interloper

bysinda

Hey, guys

Please, share your experience with killing a bear with a bow on level 1 vs level 5 

How many hits it takes you? How long is the bleed-out (roughly)  

If you hit him just once does a bear eventually bleeds out or do you have to shoot him again?

• Upvote 1

All those questions are mostly based on RNG.  I just recently killed a bear with a single shot at lvl 1 archery but I believe that is quite rare.

3 hours ago, bysinda said:

If you hit him just once does a bear eventually bleeds out or do you have to shoot him again?

As long as the animal is leaving a blood trail, it will bleed out.  Try to avoid transitioning though - there have been reports of the bear de-spawning when you do so.

• Upvote 1

If you get to level 5 and crouch-shoot in the face it's a 1 tap. Bow is pretty darn good.

At lower level bow skill seek high ground or a place to escape like a fishing hut, then just keep tracking it down after you land a few shots. 

Edited by Kain

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, dcats55 said:

Yes, bears will bleed out if hit even once, you just can't leave the zone. One shot to the head will kill it instantly.

Not true!

Head shot with Level 5 archery on interlooper mean 30 min bleeding out time. Of courese, there is  the critical hit chance, when the bear killed instantly.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2023 at 1:14 PM, dcats55 said:

Yes, bears will bleed out if hit even once, you just can't leave the zone. One shot to the head will kill it instantly.

I've also hit animals with an arrow and no blood.  IME, you have to see a blood trail for it to bleed out.

I was recently playing tag with the bear near Trapper's Cabin on my new interloper run. I hadn't got level 5 archery yet and I'm a chicken so I was shooting from outside the cabin then running inside. I noticed that often I'd get a hit (the little archery symbol popped up and my stats counted a hit) and the bear would either charge or run away, but when I looked on the ground later there would be an arrow there where I'd hit the bear ( I only had 3 arrows so I knew it wasn't one of my missed shots). After several days of multiple hits like this the bear just wasn't bleeding out. Then I managed to get a "good" hit where the arrow stayed in the bear. When it next appeared it was limping. I then managed to get a head shot that killed it. Did make me wonder if there are shots that are counted as "hits" (in terms of your stats) but don't actually do damage. 

I'm now at level 4 archery and yesterday I managed to kill the DP bear with a single head shot so I'm pretty chuffed about that. 

• Like 1

RGN, rng...

Yeah. Although it possible to one shot a bear or moose on lvl 1 archery on interoper (did both) its purely luck with critical shot. 

The most important diffrence between lvl 1,2,3,4  to lvl 5 archery is: If you dont crit at all it will take 3 shots to the head to kill a bear. On lvl 5 archery it will take 2 shots to the head/face.    Ofc you can just crit and oneshot a bear on any lvl it happens more often on lvl 5. 

IMO the bow is the 2nd most powerfull weapon in game after the distress pistol. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2023 at 9:28 PM, Retro Seamstress said:

I was recently playing tag with the bear near Trapper's Cabin on my new interloper run. I hadn't got level 5 archery yet and I'm a chicken so I was shooting from outside the cabin then running inside. I noticed that often I'd get a hit (the little archery symbol popped up and my stats counted a hit) and the bear would either charge or run away, but when I looked on the ground later there would be an arrow there where I'd hit the bear ( I only had 3 arrows so I knew it wasn't one of my missed shots). After several days of multiple hits like this the bear just wasn't bleeding out. Then I managed to get a "good" hit where the arrow stayed in the bear. When it next appeared it was limping. I then managed to get a head shot that killed it. Did make me wonder if there are shots that are counted as "hits" (in terms of your stats) but don't actually do damage. 

I'm now at level 4 archery and yesterday I managed to kill the DP bear with a single head shot so I'm pretty chuffed about that. 

Instead of running into the cabin, you can go on to the other side of the fence that is just outside the door of the Trapper's Cabin. There is a small ledge to stand on. Although the bear comes right up to the fence and is directly in your face, the bear cannot harm you. I often use this spot to hunt the bear in the that area. I've read mixed reviews about multiple hits speeding up the bleed out. I usually just do one bow shot and wait it out. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Instead of running into the cabin, you can go on to the other side of the fence that is just outside the door of the Trapper's Cabin. There is a small ledge to stand on. Although the bear comes right up to the fence and is directly in your face, the bear cannot harm you. I often use this spot to hunt the bear in the that area. I've read mixed reviews about multiple hits speeding up the bleed out. I usually just do one bow shot and wait it out. 

I've been gotten by bears so many times when I thought I was in a "safe" spot that I tend to err on the side of caution unless I'm really sure they can't get me, or I've got enough space to run to safety. I'm too much of a chicken to "test" if the bear can get me or not :P

• Like 1

@Stranzua

I'm all for player choice.

There are some meta-game strategies that folks certainly can use to (for lack of a better term) "cheese" the hunting of bear and moose for the sake of maximizing safety... and there's nothing wrong with that, to each their own.  I mean let's be honest, in reality most "hunters" (if not the vast majority) tend to target animals from positions of absolute safety (for the obvious reason that they want to kill an animal, but not risk getting hurt themselves)... so as I said, nothing wrong with cheesing a hunt, it's the player's choice.

However, I find that they are a fairly well-balanced challenge/threat when the player chooses to hunt a bit more out in the open (a little more "toe-to-toe" so to speak).  So, no... I don't think they need to be "harder" to kill.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
We can really drastically change our survival experience simply by choosing to change the way we play. 

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited for clarity
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stranzua said:

Does anyone think Bears should be harder to kill? 

It wouldnt make sense imo. There are too many ways to cheese kill a bear currently like @ManicManiac said. Even if it would take more shots it would not matter because there are too many ways to kill bears from a safe spot - Cars (going in and out), Indoor cabins (same), fences, fallen logs etc. 

The way i would do is to fix the AI of the bear/map geodata so that he would not stop in front of fires, fences and fallen logs. I mean bears are fast and can climb trees no problem, a wooden fence outside trappers is no match for a grown bear. 

So making bears stronger - not really. Fixing the Bears AI/ability to chase you is what i would like to see. Personally i like a good fight and always measure my strenth before engaging with a bear. If im low on HP i will go back stronger if i dont have to kill it right now. If im almost full on HP and stamina i fight with him. I only saw ONE case when a bear mauled and killed a player in his full hp. 99% you will always survive a bear mauling if ur healthy. 

Moose is easier - i once wanted to kill myself on an interloper run and there was a moose outside of trappers - it took 6 moose maulings to kill a full hp character. So if i dont have to climb somwhere (for ex if im going for the backpack typically on day 10-15) i will always engage a moose if i see it. 

Edited by James Hickok
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, gotmilkanot said:

You could always do the bear dance if you feel that shooting the bear from a safe spot and waiting for it to bleed out is too easy.

That is what im talking about when i say

1 hour ago, James Hickok said:

Fixing the Bears AI/ability to chase you is what i would like to see.

Bears run up to 30 miles per hour. Try to outrun that. 

13 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

That is what im talking about when i say

Bears run up to 30 miles per hour. Try to outrun that. 

Well, I'm not expecting realistic bear behaviour from a game with green glowing bears and wolves.

I suppose the bear's current turning radius could be tighter, somewhat similar to the moose's. But I think that it's good to still have the ability to dodge a charging bear, even if it's extremely hard to pull off.

10 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Nope😁

Yes. To kill the top predator in the game with one shot is too easy, imo. Climb a fallen tree. Shoot the bear with one arrow. Guarenteed risk free bear kill. 

The game design with the moose is very good. Demanding several arrows and with some smaller risk. 

Edited by Looper

9 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

We can really drastically change our survival experience simply by choosing to change the way we play

While I understand the point, I think thats not a good argument. The game puts one in a survival mode where its you against the elements. A bunch of selfmade rules breaks the immersion of survive at all cost.🙂 But this has been discussed before.

It's not a big deal but asked directly I would say bears should require more arrows to kill. 

Or give every player across great bear a heart attack and secretly patch tree climbing in 😁🤣 

10 minutes ago, Looper said:

Yes. To kill the top predator in the game with one shot is to easy. Climb a fallen tree. Shoot the bear with one arrow. Guarenteed risk free bear kill. 

The game design with the moose is very good. Demanding several arrows and with some smaller risk. 

We're supposed to be the top predator😁.       I play pilgrim for a reason.... Bears....  If I wanted to literally be at risk from a heart attack I'd play harder levels with bears on...      

But it is a matter of personal choice....,  If you want it harder then don't climb trees or ledges. ,or carry lots of meat and just run blindly round without looking  out for threats...    Me...I'll climb any tree I can find and I'll still only shoot them with the flare gun..I'm a grade A chicken😅

• Upvote 2

Just now, Leeanda said:

We're supposed to be the top predator😁.

good point human always where 😁 but isn't the game about nature reclaiming human world? One of the things that caught me in TLD was how affraid I was from wolves. I would jump in the chair for a "Wooouf" and run for a door 😁. Scare is part of the beaty of the game.  So I hear you🙂

3 minutes ago, Looper said:

good point human always where 😁 but isn't the game about nature reclaiming human world? One of the things that caught me in TLD was how affraid I was from wolves. I would jump in the chair for a "Wooouf" and run for a door 😁. Scare is part of the beaty of the game.  So I hear you🙂

Well it might be but we're part of nature too....and no moose or bear is getting rid of me....  😁.  I'll go out with a self induced bang....I always do.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I have a few suggestions for bears:

1. Allow them to roam freely or increase their territory. Instead of just keeping them in small areas, why not keep everyone on their toes knowing that bears can be 'almost' anywhere.

2. If the bears are free to roam, then maybe hunting bears becomes more like the hunting challenge. If the bear runs away, the bear can be anywhere. Shooting a bear and then finding it in the same spot the next day is like shooting fish in a barrel.

3. Make bears more aggressive. Once the bear is attacked, now it remembers YOU. It sees you and smells you from further away, and now holds a grudge. If you 'cheese' using a car or shelter, it will now prowl the area, stalk you, and even charge you. 

4. Remove some of the 'cheese'. For example, a bear should be able to grab you inside a fishing hut and it should be able to grab you over a porch banister. 

5. Increase calories per piece of bear meat to balance out the smarter AI. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stranzua said:

I have a few suggestions for bears:

1. Allow them to roam freely or increase their territory. Instead of just keeping them in small areas, why not keep everyone on their toes knowing that bears can be 'almost' anywhere.

2. If the bears are free to roam, then maybe hunting bears becomes more like the hunting challenge. If the bear runs away, the bear can be anywhere. Shooting a bear and then finding it in the same spot the next day is like shooting fish in a barrel.

3. Make bears more aggressive. Once the bear is attacked, now it remembers YOU. It sees you and smells you from further away, and now holds a grudge. If you 'cheese' using a car or shelter, it will now prowl the area, stalk you, and even charge you. 

4. Remove some of the 'cheese'. For example, a bear should be able to grab you inside a fishing hut and it should be able to grab you over a porch banister. 

5. Increase calories per piece of bear meat to balance out the smarter AI. 

I really like Your ideas. 

• Upvote 1