I can't believe this unskipabble photosensitivity warning screen adds a whopping 14 seconds of wasted loading time! Can't you make it skipabble?

Agreed. I don't normally immediately buy into negative comments, but this one holds a ton of water.

I understand making it mandatory the first time as a CYA move, but perhaps an opt-out in the options to disable it? And disable the disclaimer about "we know wolves don't typically attack people" thing too.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 6

I agree.

I know it's important for some people, since it could land some people in a hospital, or worst, so it should be there, but it gets tedious to see every time you boot up the game. Same thing could be said about the "Don't try this at home kids!" screen, they both need a "Never show this again" check box.

• Upvote 3

They do have to cover themselves ... And as most games don't come in boxes any more,except mine, it's the only way to get it out there.

I didn't get chance to read half of it if I'm honest..and Xbox is slower anyway...  Compared to a lot of games I find tld to be rather quick on the loading screens...   I even used to just watch the episode three screen for ages😊

I'm not saying you're wrong but I just don't see it as a problem...

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's really an issue... I appreciate Hinterland going a little out of the way to help give folks who have those issues a reasonable warning.  Folks may complain about the time... it's really just sufficient enough time to actually read it (which again is important if you happen to be one of those people who are affected by it).

In my opinion a few extra seconds before I get to start my session isn't anything to complain about... especially when a trivial delay is achieving some real good.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

I don't want to be forced to see the whole messages each time I start my sessión. We need to have the option to skip the message the same way we can skip the legal advice. That allows Hinterland to cover their legal obligations and we have the option to skip those messages, it gets annoying and incredibly time-wasting.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well you can blame me for it being there in the first place... I was the one who mentioned it because the glimmer fog gives me a blinding headache and I can't go to the airfield.. 

So blame me not them..

You certainly weren't the only one.  They're involved with the community but they're still a business and game studio, I doubt they'd go through that much trouble over a single complaint.

The funny thing is I thought it was common knowledge by now that flashing lights can trigger epilepsy among those prone to it. And video games are full of those. My friend's roommate is epileptic and his attitude is basically "We know we're playing with fire any time we watch TV. Acceptable risk."

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, ChaosArchbishop said:

I don't want to be forced to see the whole messages each time I start my sessión...

2 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

...they become very annoying and most people just don't care anyway...

...I don't know... it seems like you're assuming most people don't care; you can't know that for a fact.  It's so odd how folks make assumptions about things that may not personally affect them.

It doesn't personally affect me either... but that doesn't mean it doesn't benefit others.

I recommend folks thinking a little beyond themselves for things like this.  A few extra seconds is objectively not a big inconvenience.  Hinterland put it there for a reason, I think that reason ought to be respected.  And I think folks might do well to feel glad that such a trivial thing could annoy them... I think it indicates they probably have themselves a pretty comfortable situation if an additional bit of text before they can get started playing their recreational videogame is what they are annoyed by. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
That's all for me on this conversation.  
I'm not interested in getting into an argument.
If we don't agree... that's okay.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

You certainly weren't the only one.  They're involved with the community but they're still a business and game studio, I doubt they'd go through that much trouble over a single complaint.

The funny thing is I thought it was common knowledge by now that flashing lights can trigger epilepsy among those prone to it. And video games are full of those. My friend's roommate is epileptic and his attitude is basically "We know we're playing with fire any time we watch TV. Acceptable risk."

I don't use other sites but mine is the only comment I've seen on here about it.. aside from a few agreeing with it.. 

But I take your point....  It is a bog standard thing on most things ..  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well you can blame me for it being there in the first place... I was the one who mentioned it because the glimmer fog gives me a blinding headache and I can't go to the airfield.. 

So blame me not them..

Nah, you don't need to blame yourself. It's something a good amount of people who play video game have to deal with, and it's a common warning screen.

Like I said, I get why there's a message there. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that it wasn't added sooner, since flashing lights have been apart of the game since the aurora was added. I just don't agree with the message being unavoidable. Sure, for the first time you boot up the game to give people a chance to read it, I understand it being unskippable then. After that you should be able to skip it.

It would be like if you went to a grocery store, and every time you went down the dairy isle an employee would bark at you saying "Hey! Careful if you're lactose intolerant! These item might not be so good for you to consume!" and hold you up for 20 seconds. Sure, if you're effected by that, I get having a warning. But it's not something that needs to be repeated every time you go down that isle, especially if you're not effected by it.

And yeah, obviously 20 seconds is not a long time. But, if you frequently play TLD, it will get annoying very quickly.

• Like 1

Just now, Leeanda said:

Well yes😁. But I did start it.    Guilty your honour.

Hah fair enough! But the fact that others did agree means it was ultimately a good addition, so you're "guilty" of nothing.

I'm not saying it was a bad idea, I just want to be able to opt out of all of the opening stuff and go straight to the title screen. I know there's mods for that but I do play on Steam Deck time to time and modding the game on that platform requires a lot of extra steps, so I would appreciate being able to load directly to the title in the base game. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, LunarLime said:

And yeah, obviously 20 seconds is not a long time. But, if you frequently play TLD, it will get annoying very quickly.

In my case I like to test game mechanics a lot, which frequently involves toggling my mods on to set up a scenario, then exiting, toggling the mods off, then loading and playing the scenario in vanilla. Then exit, toggle mods on, tweak the scenario, exit, toggle mods off, re-try the scenario.  Rinse, lather, repeat.

Restarting the game 15 times in half an hour, those 20 seconds add up.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

A few extra seconds

10 unskippable seconds isn't a good idea. The majority don't have the time to stare at the screen before they can start playing therefore there needs a prompt to just skip them. Forced-reading of certain stuff that does not apply to folks isn't the way to go.

Plus, there are people who keep restarting the game, test mods and ton of other stuff so staring at 10 seconds unskippable becomes even more painful.

Edited by thekillergreece
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

In my case I like to test game mechanics a lot, which frequently involves toggling my mods on to set up a scenario, then exiting, toggling the mods off, then loading and playing the scenario in vanilla. Then exit, toggle mods on, tweak the scenario, exit, toggle mods off, re-try the scenario.  Rinse, lather, repeat.

Restarting the game 15 times in half an hour, those 20 seconds add up.

Yeah, there's that.

That reminds me of times when I would start up modded playthroughs of Fallout or Skyrim. Having to constantly restart the game, over and over, to figure which of my 200 mods is causing the game to crash to desktop.

I don't even want to imagine having to wait through a minute long intro screen for that... I prolly would have given up.

Fortunately TLD modding is much more stable (if not, more limited currently). I've only had a handful of crashes, and those times it was I was using mods that were obviously outdated, but trying it anyways while saying "What's the worst that can happen?" fully expecting a crash. 

Edited by LunarLime
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

I wouldn't want "this isn't bad" to be what people say about my product.

Sure

but I also wouldn’t want someone’s seizure attached to my product.  
I have a family member with epilepsy, so my personal experience/opinion will differ because of it. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

(I don’t disagree with the skip option idea ;)

• Upvote 2

I think we can all agree that the addition of an optional button to bypass the screen would be a huge quality of life improvement, even if we don't need to engage in pointless virtue signaling about how necessary the disclaimer is, we all know its important and is there for a reason. The suggestion - and reason of why I started this post - is to provide insights on the importance to have options: which is a "press any button to continue" option, or at least make it such that hitting Esc or Space allows us to bypass it.

I think the time between "start the game and being ready to play" is a significant aspect in most games nowadays.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ChaosArchbishop said:

I think we can all agree that the addition of an optional button to bypass the screen would be a huge quality of life improvement, even if we don't need to engage in pointless virtue signaling about how necessary the disclaimer is, we all know its important and is there for a reason. The suggestion - and reason of why I started this post - is to provide insights on the importance to have options: which is a "press any button to continue" option, or at least make it such that hitting Esc or Space allows us to bypass it.

I think the time between "start the game and being ready to play" is a significant aspect in most games nowadays.

In short

1. The disclaimer is important, just allow us to skip it please with a player action like: "Press any button to continue", please!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1