Magic sticks and stones - bug or feature?

AdamvR

Initially i thought this to have another explanation, but recent reoccurrence confirmed this:
There appear some sticks and stones in the world, which, upon picking up adding not one but much more sticks/stones to the backpack (in the range between 50-100).
Has anyone met this before? (I've ran into it multiple times in my current run)
Is this a new added feature, or a bug?

2 hours ago, AdamvR said:

Initially i thought this to have another explanation, but recent reoccurrence confirmed this:
There appear some sticks and stones in the world, which, upon picking up adding not one but much more sticks/stones to the backpack (in the range between 50-100).

I haven't encountered that one yet.  I have had a number of sticks despawn just as I've been picking them up though and not go into my inventory at all.  Same with some stones.

2 hours ago, AdamvR said:

Can you provide a video showing it?

@AdamvR

I'd say item duplication would clearly be a bug not intended behavior.
I'd recommend taking what debug screen shots you can, copy the save file in case they ask to analyze it (never mind that if you're on console, don't know how that would work)... and submit a ticket reporting the bug to Hinterland so they can get it on their radar as something to investigate and fix.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I'm sure I've had this happen once or twice before.

I think I had recently dumped/stored 30+ sticks in a stone cache.

(Does this sound relevant to your situation?)

Then headed out to collect more picked up about 4x sticks and became encumbered I remember thinking hmm thts weird, checked inventory and had over 100 sticks.

Ive been meaning to test it but I think , it's forgetting you just stored some and the first few sticks you pick up are causing the game to add the amount you stored aswell as what you are picking up.

Although I might be completely wrong

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sierra 117 said:

I'm sure I've had this happen once or twice before.

I think I had recently dumped/stored 30+ sticks in a stone cache.

(Does this sound relevant to your situation?)

Then headed out to collect more picked up about 4x sticks and became encumbered I remember thinking hmm thts weird, checked inventory and had over 100 sticks.

Ive been meaning to test it but I think , it's forgetting you just stored some and the first few sticks you pick up are causing the game to add the amount you stored aswell as what you are picking up.

Although I might be completely wrong

Thanks, this is very helpful!
Indeed, the first few times it seemed to be happening after interacting with stone caches (!).
But then the last time there was no stone cache involved... I might have stored some in another cache before, so it still might be related...
Good to know it happened to others as well!

Maybe we can find a way to replicate it...

I have had this happen a lot, before the update. I don't think it has happened since the update. I picked up more coal from one piece than I could carry...20 kilos or so. It almost always happens to me in caves, near caves, but not always. It may have to do with picking up stones, because I never used to do that but started to a while back when @Leeandareminded me about rock cache for storage. After that, I ran into the bug a bunch. Didn't want to report it though as who doesn't want a ton of coal?!? I have a pile of it at the cave entrance near Carter Dam and at the other end in PV. I also picked up 10+ stones, 10+ sticks multiple times. Also have not picked up stones since the update, so perhaps I will try that and report back if it repeats.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

I picked up more coal from one piece than I could carry...20 kilos or so.

Thanks for mentioning it!
Have you stored some of the coal in a container before? It seems, from what others are mentioning, that storing a (larger amount) of sticks/stones/feathers and then picking up more may trigger the originally stored amount to reappear in your backpack. Does not happen always though, so would be great to figure out what is triggering it. (I've been trying to willfully cause it, but did not manage to do so). To me it happened within the past days, so definitely after the update.

22 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It might be related to the multiple times you can take s.now shelters without them disappearing. My son had one in forsaken and after harvesting the same shelter a few times he had so many sticks and cloth he had to drop some.

it does happen as well, that picking up a stick, it still stays there so I can pick it up again, but that is just one additional stick, not a bunch at once.
So it might be a different bug. they may or may not still be related at the back end...(?)

1 minute ago, AdamvR said:

it does happen as well, that picking up a stick, it still stays there so I can pick it up again, but that is just one additional stick, not a bunch at once.
So it might be a different bug. they may or may not still be related at the back end...(?)

Probably a different bug ...  There's a few multiple bugs around though.    

I wish I had the multiple sticks one ,at least until the disappearing limbs bug is fixed😁.  

• Upvote 1

After checking today's/yesterday's devlog, i went on to see if this is listed on the known issues.
It was not, but its sister: sticks sometimes move around if you walk far and back is.
I checked if they might be related, and it seems so: I did take walks by sticks, not picking them up, then going further away to store my sticks in a rock cache. Then go back and picked up the ones i deliberately left around and the bug repeated itself twice(!).
(I think it has to be a bunch of sticks, that spawn together, and none of them was touched before - but that is just a hunch. Definitely not all sticks are triggering it!)

I also have recorded it this time, the second part is the more interesting one.
(the first part is just showing me store 50 sticks - and some others - in a rock cache in TWM.)
In the second you can see that I'm following my previous footsteps, picking up the sticks on the way. After picking up 4 sticks in the video, I'm checking the backpack with 16 sticks. Then, 5 sticks later I get the message of being over weight, checking it again, and I'm at 70.
The last stick appears to add  not 1, but the same (?) 50 I stored in the rock cache.

Part 1

Part 2 

ps.: Yes, I have frostbite... Frigging bear not only tore my entire outfit to pieces, it dared dying on a slope so I could not light a fire next to it while quartering..., and I forgot that if my clothes are torn off, this could have dire consequences...

Edited by AdamvR
added videos
  • Upvote 1