Locations in TFTFT

I have just finished mapping the new TFTFT areas.  I concluded that there were about 60 new locations and was interested to find out if I had missed any locations.  Then I relised that I had miscalculated.  In this Voyager run I started in Broken Railroad, went to TFTFT and had a trip out to ML.  In  my calculation I deducted the recorded surveyed locations shown in the journal from the total locations.  This was mixing different things.  For example I had 14 surveyed locations for ML but would have visited more locations in ML than that.  So I hadn't deducted all of the non-TFTFT locations from the total locations.   So I over estimated the locations in TFTFT.

I find that there are several inconsistencies assocated with the locations in TLD.  An obvious irregularity is that in the current version, the new zones are not included in the Surveyed Locations section in the Journal.  The waterfall that seemed to be the biggest in TFTFT did not have a name, when I tried to add it to the map with charcoal, nothing happened.  Whereas a lesser waterfall in Far Range Branch Line could be surveyed and added to the map.  Another small inconsistency that caused me a load of unneccesary cold, foggy trekking and sleeping out in blizzard was "Gribs Cave".  I remember staying in the cave but couldn't see it on my map.  I assumed that I had been unable to map it due to the fog. So I revisted the cave and resurveyed it.  The map did not change.  On the map the the cave is simple labelled "Cave" and not as "Gribs Cave".  That is a small point but the hardship, and waste of time and valuable resources was great.

I noticed the missing areas on the map as well. For example the cabin in NW corner. Nice trek there. I stand on the cabin porch and mapped. It is vista, so large portion of map is discovered but the cabin. It is still not there. I know where it is, the map underlayer, or how to call it, shows the rectangle of the map. But there is no map marker showing it is a cabin.

BTW how many cabins you folk found? I found two without loading screen, one with loading screen. And of course there is one completely ruined near airfield.

Same problem for mapping Mindful Cabin, it doesn't show on the map...

3 cabins (2 without loading screen), 2 trailers, 8 caves, 4 closed helicopters outside, add 1 crashed and open, 3 airplanes outside.

I'm also 1 rope short : it's either put it to evade the bear on the west (and climbing up to Sudden Ravine) or near the western fishing hut (and climbing up to Mindful Cabin) to evade the wolves up the slope following the road.

1 hour ago, DaGnome91 said:

I'm also 1 rope short : it's either put it to evade the bear on the west (and climbing up to Sudden Ravine) or near the western fishing hut (and climbing up to Mindful Cabin) to evade the wolves up the slope following the road.

That is interesting. I have not had shortage of ropes.  Perhaps it's that I took a different route that didn't need a rope.

The name Sudden Ravine doesn't ring a bell.  It doesn't appear on my map.  It could be that it is a location I haven't found, it might be that I just don't remember the name.  I can't remember a bear on the west, i.e. left side, of the map. I thought that I had found and mapped everything on the airport map, perhaps I haven't.  I hate the left side of the map, every time I have been in that area, in a straight Voyager game, I have had very cold thick fog and had a hard time.

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

That is interesting. I have not had shortage of ropes.  Perhaps it's that I took a different route that didn't need a rope.

The name Sudden Ravine doesn't ring a bell.  It doesn't appear on my map.  It could be that it is a location I haven't found, it might be that I just don't remember the name.  I can't remember a bear on the west, i.e. left side, of the map. I thought that I had found and mapped everything on the airport map, perhaps I haven't.  I hate the left side of the map, every time I have been in that area, in a straight Voyager game, I have had very cold thick fog and had a hard time.

There is a total of 3 rope spots : 1 already has a rope tied to it (leading up to Justy's), 1 leads to the Mindful Cabin coming by the east, and 1 leads to Sudden Washout (sorry, I translated myself) coming by the south, thus evading the bear's cave just a bit north of it (but still in the north half of the west side). I found only 1 rope in the Main Hangar...

In the hope I can be clearer, I made a partial screenshot of the map I found on steam :

image.png.b582a2690f6f3cc635cccca97ea85d29.png

Edited by DaGnome91

12 minutes ago, DaGnome91 said:

There is a total of 3 rope spots : 1 already has a rope tied to it (leading up to Justy's), 1 leads to the Mindful Cabin coming by the east, and 1 leads to Sudden Washout (sorry, I translated myself) coming by the south, thus evading the bear's cave just a bit north of it (but still in the north half of the west side). In the hope I can be clearer, I made a partial screenshot of the map I found on steam :

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.b582a2690f6f3cc635cccca97ea85d29.png

Thanks for trying to be helpful with the map, but I try to avoid spoilers.

I approached Mindful Cabin from the left, West?, I found the rope climb, without a rope, but didn't need it. I vaguely remember seeing the rock for a rope descent somewhere else, but didn't need it and forgot to map it.

On my last trip around the airfield region I was down to 4 rounds of revolver ammo. and my last bow down to 16% so I couldn't hang around and map the region as well as I wanted.  Now that I have a decent bow and plenty ammo I might have another trip out there.

22 minutes ago, peteloud said:

Thanks for trying to be helpful with the map, but I try to avoid spoilers.

That's why i put a spoiler tag, I kind of remember you didn't want maps from others ;) But some other people might want the help...

22 minutes ago, peteloud said:

I vaguely remember seeing the rock for a rope descent somewhere else, but didn't need it and forgot to map it.

From the Mindful Cabin, if you stick to the northernmost then westernmost wall, you walk in front of Sudden Washout, then you arrive at that rock. if you climb down that cliff (with or without a rope), you arrive a bit south of a bear's hideout. So, you're right in a way: you don't really need it... But to evade that bear, it can help a lot.

Edited by DaGnome91

I didn't even realise that there was this western bear.  But the other bear!  I walked past it when it was sleeping without my realising. As I was walking out of its cave  it.  I thought a rock had a strange shape.  I stood next to it to look closely and realised that it was sleeping bear exactly the same colour as the rock.  I wanted to shoot it in the head at point blank range, but my rifle skill level was two and I only had two rounds of ammo, so I made a hasty retreat.  The bear woke as I was escaping but I managed to escape.

Very soon after that there was the moose.  With low skill levels all round and very little ammo and few arrows  there was little I could do.  As I thought about it he came after me and stomped on me.

Although I was playing a straight Voyager game, which I normally find easy, this was not easy.  Worst of all was the fog.  Not having read any of the blurb I know nothing about this Glimmer Fog, and still don't.

Edited by peteloud

I killed the western bear, quartered it all and harvested everything in the Sudden Washout, that's how I came to know those places. Same as you, straight Voyageur run, but I didn't see any moose around the Creek.

Found the other bear totally asleep during an Aurora, kinda blocked on a rock just outside Fallow Dugout, the icy cave on the eastern side of Shoulder Lake

On 1/3/2023 at 10:23 PM, DaGnome91 said:

but I didn't see any moose around the Creek.

I am not sure where you mean when you say, "around the creek".  In the airport region the moose I came across was in a very obvious place, impossible to miss.

At the moment I am just about to return to the TFTFT area. I am in Broken Railroad trying to kill the moose to make a backpack, but not having much luck. I am better equipped and armed, but there is almost nothing that can protect me from that fog and -38° except good luck.

On 1/1/2023 at 6:01 PM, TFA303 said:

Also - Mindful Cabin won't show up on my map, even after I've slept there twice and mapped it repeatedly. 

I had this problem too, I think it's similar to when the new mine entrance in PV near Thomson's Crossing wouldn't map after the ep 3 update or thereabouts.  I got Mindful Cabin mapped by standing on the porch, so at same level as the cabin- if you are below it, it doesn't register, which was what was happening with the mine (and I think was eventually fixed as a bug).

Mapping is awful (and was pre-update, too). It really feels random what buildings and vehicles will appear, and when a location name is included. For me, that's everywhere, rather than at specific locations. I really hope this gets overhauled. It's such a great mechanic but I wish it were a little more reliable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

This was really noticeable in the new areas - seemed that only about half of the location names showed on the map.

Yes, I've noticed this too, seems to be a change in praxis. Wondering if it'll change back to more "normal" behaviour on the future....

I returned to the airfield region to complete the mapping.  I found almost nothing new, but managed to clear up a few black patches. I managed to map another cave, bringing it up to 9 caves displayed on the map.  I had previously visited this cave but had been unable to map it due to the weather. I find it confusing that the caves on the map are just labelled "CAVE" and not given their name, i.e. "Gribs Cave".

This circuit around the region was very much easier than earlier circuits. I had good weather most of the time.  I had very little fog and few blizzards. On previous trips I seemed to have constant fog and blizzards.  To counter the good weather I made a couple of silly mistakes. After walking across the empty area between the Surveyor's Memory and Mindful Cottage I turned the wrong way when I encountered the road and walked back almost to the airport.

The other mistake was with my bow.  I had been carrying two bows, to lighten the load that I was carrying I left a bow at the hanger but kept the bow that was in 100% condition.  When I saw the western bear I readied the bow to find that it was a bow "in progress".  I could not hang around looking for the bear cave with no anti-bear weapon, I retreated.

I have been unable to find and map what DaGnome91 translates as either, "Sudden Ravine" or "Sudden Washout". I am about 95% confident that I have covered everywhere in the region so I am puzzled why I have not found it.  I wonder if the trigger spot that activates the "New Location" message is so small that I have visited the area without triggering the location.

Having very, very nearly mapped all of the region I shall now give up TLD until an update fixes the bugs.

On 1/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, peteloud said:

I have been unable to find and map what DaGnome91 translates as either, "Sudden Ravine" or "Sudden Washout". I am about 95% confident that I have covered everywhere in the region so I am puzzled why I have not found it.  I wonder if the trigger spot that activates the "New Location" message is so small that I have visited the area without triggering the location.

Sudden Washout it is, I tried to translate by myself first but then went to different wiki to verify ;)

As I said earlier, it's a cave just north of a rope-spot, uphill and crouched against the western wall. The rope-spot is due north of Grib's cave if you stick to the western wall, if I recall correctly (but you pass just in front of a bear's hideout). From Mindful Cabin, go full west then just stick to the western wall, and you'll get there eventually.

• Upvote 1