Summit without Ropes: Free-Climbing Timberwolf Mountain

ArchimedesLP

I've been working on this route for a while! I knew how to reach most areas in the game without using the climbing ropes. After I discovered the Climbing Area skip(which opened up Milton and most of HRV to rope-free travel) the Summit was my next big target. A couple big breakthroughs recently: The skip up to deer clearing means we don't have to go through Ash Canyon anymore, and I found a much more direct route past the rope climb near Eric's Falls(my previous route went alllllll the way across the face of the mountain over to Secluded Shelf.)

Curious to know what everyone thinks! I'm (relatively) newer to the game with most of my playtime in the last 1-2 years so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows what this was like in the past. I found a couple of obscure references to people trying this years ago but it seems the game has changed substantially since then in terms of sprains and what slopes are even climbable. The general consensus seems to be that the old routes no longer work.

• Upvote 9
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You are my Billy Goat Hero! I have been trying to free climb TM since I started playing and never found these routes. I use these techniques to get up the back  side of the lighthouse in DP, and always billy goat down the TWM summit, but I really never thought it was possible to go up. Thanks for sharing and thanks for doing it natural. I don't do glitches or cheats/exploits either. LoL - I actually didn't know those existed  before watching your video - although one time I was trying to free climb up out of that basin in MT and ended up off the map walking around for awhile. That was an adventure.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'd like to see how you did mountain town and ash.  Mountain town I find particularly annoying as I'm a hoarder.🙂

Climbing Area Skip: https://youtu.be/XMrh5J0kWXk

Multiple shortcuts including Homesteader's in AC: https://youtu.be/sa7w_MgCZGg

The Mountain Town skip is very useful for bringing a lot of heavy gear in, especially if your base is Paradise Meadows(the shortcut comes out near there.)

I'm working on a video now that will show how these can be done without getting any sprains. The sprains usually aren't a big deal but they can be annoying especially at the beginning of a run when you don't have bandages yet.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ArchimedesLP said:

Climbing Area Skip: https://youtu.be/XMrh5J0kWXk

Multiple shortcuts including Homesteader's in AC: https://youtu.be/sa7w_MgCZGg

The Mountain Town skip is very useful for bringing a lot of heavy gear in, especially if your base is Paradise Meadows(the shortcut comes out near there.)

I'm working on a video now that will show how these can be done without getting any sprains. The sprains usually aren't a big deal but they can be annoying especially at the beginning of a run when you don't have bandages yet.

Thank you.🙂.    I look forward to seeing it..   as it's possibly my last run before updating I've taken sprains off as I'd planned to do some goating. But going up seems more of a challenge.

@ArchimedesLP

I have been so busy that I haven't taken the time to congratulate you on here for finding a new and easier (on the first two sections) free climbing route to the summit!

We had a bit of back and forth in the discussion of your video as I along with Ice pioneered the original Summit w/o ropes route.

It's nice to know we have 2 routes up w/o ropes!

I do plan on making my own video but it will wait until after the DLC drop as I'm trying to finish my Halloween Challenge before then.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to find the mythical passage to summit without ropes is how I fell off the back of the world to my death.  In the short time I could still see things before fading to dark, I saw the underside of the map. 
fun!?

• Upvote 1