Return of The Ancients - my attempts at the Neo-Native challenge

conanjaguar

Did I say it should be done shortly? It’s done now!

Native 4 / Day 3

I awoke bright and early in the farmhouse, and decided to make this a day for looting. As I entered the living room and saw the light coming through the windows, I remarked: “Looks foggy out there.”

Sure enough, when I opened the door, it was indeed foggy. (I swear I took a screenshot here, but maybe I pressed F9 or F11?) The temperature was mild; *only* around -20C, so I set out for the town itself. Bruno and Rufus were off duty, so I was able to make my way up to the town and begin looting. 
Note to self: Why was I carrying around four pieces of cooked venison? Answer: to stay Well Fed...

As I entered Milton, I heard the familiar sequence of “bark-squeak!” Taking a torch in hand, I took the liberty of confiscating these rations from the wolf, and then went into Grey Mother’s House, lighting up the stove to harvest and cook them (and rose hip tea, of course), and using my entire fuel supply.

Shrugging, I ate the rabbits and dropped their pelts and guts on the floor to cure before my painted totem. I then left Grey Mother’s, into a now very thick fog and began looting.

To put it bluntly, the result was disappointing. I found a (useless) Maglens and a couple liters of Grade-A, Vintage, All-natural toilet water. Sighing, I elected to spend the night at the cabin up on the hill, as it was already getting late.

Then I spotted the cattails.

My now ‘Loper-wired (supposed) brain instinctively entered what biologists call a “Fixed Action-Pattern (FAP)” of behavior; a sequence of actions that cannot be reversed of undone. Even though the nearby wolves elected to pay a visit, I paid them no heed. They sat on the edge of the ice and gasped at the sight of a nearly-naked man moving with mechanical efficiency and picking cattails and sticks.

After this FAP was over, I spotted the bunnies. Once again, I drew my stones and began to mechanically hurl them at the rabbits, to the tune of my younger sibling saying: “Baba, why are you aiming? You hit them better by just throwing the rocks randomly 🤪.” (Anyone detect something wrong with that statement?)

The second after he said that, I proved him wrong by bopping the first bunny... and then the second, at the edge of maximum rock range, within seconds of each other.

As the nearby wolves were coming closer, I elected to head back to the cabin... ooh, look at all those sticks! FAP initiated; I was grabbing sticks. With a full smell bar. With me freezing to death. With the wolves coming closer every second. I literally grabbed a stick from under a wolf’s nose before turning back and sprinting to the cabin.

Wouldn’t you know it? I got caught on the rail, and the wolf began charging. Cursing myself harshly for my stupidity, I raced up the stairs; the wolf was in pursuit. Again, I slammed the door in his face, then set about harvesting the rabbits, eating ten cattails, and sleeping for 10 hours.

Native 4 / Day 4 /Game Over

I awoke bright and early, and set out for Paradise Meadows after crafting some Old Man’s Beard dressing. The weather was slightly overcast, but fairly warm at a flt of only -15C.

The trek to the farm was… hazardous, to say the least. As soon as I stepped outside, I heard a bark. Ignoring it (like an idiot), I made for the log bridge, fortunately shaking off my pursuer, but spraining my wrist in the process. As soon as I entered the farm property, Bruno and Rufus enthusiastically ran up to  me, begging for treats. I waved them off with a rock and continued… until I got to the shed. My torch was at 2%, I dropped it, and I had no more torches in my inventory. Muttering mild expletives, I grabbed the torch and clicked “light fire”… and simultaneously, I heard the charge. Native 4 uttered my exact thoughts when he said “Come on,” to the tiny flame.

Finally, the fire caught, and I piled on the fuel while cooking two cups of rose hip tea. Safe behind the fire, I took the time to drink tea, take screenshots of Bruno and Rufus, 4FBD21F2-389A-4899-8656-1CC968BA8836.thumb.jpeg.269590d856f42d71fa03105c67739c52.jpegE85119A5-AF65-4DF1-8795-2ADCADCE2642.thumb.jpeg.6bf1a42ccb67075e7e31a9f9ce72a539.jpeg4FBD21F2-389A-4899-8656-1CC968BA8836.thumb.jpeg.269590d856f42d71fa03105c67739c52.jpegpull torches, and set out for the nearby rabbit grove… with an inventory loaded with smelly things.

I got greedy. I spotted the nearby deer and thought: man, he would probably taste really good8F1FDE95-91A7-43F3-8877-17EDA56CBA7B.thumb.jpeg.257f5d02e1c3e5956b0e8e54b36eca22.jpegSo, I chased him. As I expected, he ran in the direction that I was not wanting him to go to. Sighing, I turned the corner... and ended up staring straight into the twin smug grins of Bruno and Rufus. Apparently, their AI was confused; they took turns charging and growling.

Suffice it to say, I panicked and entered another FAP. I helplessly watched as Native 4 threw the torch at the terrible twins, rather than waving them off with a rock as he should have done, and then took a screenshot.0D6D32BE-B9B3-44B4-94A7-45B573155B1B.thumb.jpeg.d32ca1f9bde7de1ba0051dca4cb9a075.jpeg

Time seemed to slow down as I fumbled in my radial bar for another torch and began to light it, but it was too late. Rufus was upon me before I could light it. With 33% condition, I selected the hammer… and died almost instantly. Let me repeat that. Almost instantly. I didn’t even have time to see my strike connect, before I died.A25B4B1F-4FF4-4C69-A6FE-79EB0B7630EA.thumb.jpeg.add301806ec4751a4788c006f45a3162.jpeg

I began to swear like a sailor, even as I started Native 5…

This time, I will avenge myself. This time, I will triumph. This time, I will accomplish my sworn duty, or die trying.

Cue the Doom Eternal soundtrack. I’ve got wolves to shave.

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
-Robert Oppenheimer

FD482814-D7A7-41E0-A933-5AF9FC6F84B6.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Just now, conanjaguar said:

Did I say it should be done shortly? It’s done now!

Native 4 / Day 3

I awoke bright and early in the farmhouse, and decided to make this a day for looting. As I entered the living room and saw the light coming through the windows, I remarked: “Looks foggy out there.”

Sure enough, when I opened the door, it was indeed foggy. (I swear I took a screenshot here, but maybe I pressed F9 or F11?) The temperature was mild; *only* around -20C, so I set out for the town itself. Bruno and Rufus were off duty, so I was able to make my way up to the town and begin looting. 
Note to self: Why was I carrying around four pieces of cooked venison? Answer: to stay Well Fed...

As I entered Milton, I heard the familiar sequence of “bark-squeak!” Taking a torch in hand, I took the liberty of confiscating these rations from the wolf, and then went into Grey Mother’s House, lighting up the stove to harvest and cook them (and rose hip tea, of course), and using my entire fuel supply.

Shrugging, I ate the rabbits and dropped their pelts and guts on the floor to cure before my painted totem. I then left Grey Mother’s, into a now very thick fog and began looting.

To put it bluntly, the result was disappointing. I found a (useless) Maglens and a couple liters of Grade-A, Vintage, All-natural toilet water. Sighing, I elected to spend the night at the cabin up on the hill, as it was already getting late.

Then I spotted the cattails.

My now ‘Loper-wired (supposed) brain instinctively entered what biologists call a “Fixed Action-Pattern (FAP)” of behavior; a sequence of actions that cannot be reversed of undone. Even though the nearby wolves elected to pay a visit, I paid them no heed. They sat on the edge of the ice and gasped at the sight of a nearly-naked man moving with mechanical efficiency and picking cattails and sticks.

After this FAP was over, I spotted the bunnies. Once again, I drew my stones and began to mechanically hurl them at the rabbits, to the tune of my younger sibling saying: “Baba, why are you aiming? You hit them better by just throwing the rocks randomly 🤪.” (Anyone detect something wrong with that statement?)

The second after he said that, I proved him wrong by bopping the first bunny... and then the second, at the edge of maximum rock range, within seconds of each other.

As the nearby wolves were coming closer, I elected to head back to the cabin... ooh, look at all those sticks! FAP initiated; I was grabbing sticks. With a full smell bar. With me freezing to death. With the wolves coming closer every second. I literally grabbed a stick from under a wolf’s nose before turning back and sprinting to the cabin.

Wouldn’t you know it? I got caught on the rail, and the wolf began charging. Cursing myself harshly for my stupidity, I raced up the stairs; the wolf was in pursuit. Again, I slammed the door in his face, then set about harvesting the rabbits, eating ten cattails, and sleeping for 10 hours.

Native 4 / Day 4 /Game Over

I awoke bright and early, and set out for Paradise Meadows after crafting some Old Man’s Beard dressing. The weather was slightly overcast, but fairly warm at a flt of only -15C.

The trek to the farm was… hazardous, to say the least. As soon as I stepped outside, I heard a bark. Ignoring it (like an idiot), I made for the log bridge, fortunately shaking off my pursuer, but spraining my wrist in the process. As soon as I entered the farm property, Bruno and Rufus enthusiastically ran up to  me, begging for treats. I waved them off with a rock and continued… until I got to the shed. My torch was at 2%, I dropped it, and I had no more torches in my inventory. Muttering mild expletives, I grabbed the torch and clicked “light fire”… and simultaneously, I heard the charge. Native 4 uttered my exact thoughts when he said “Come on,” to the tiny flame.

Finally, the fire caught, and I piled on the fuel while cooking two cups of rose hip tea. Safe behind the fire, I took the time to drink tea, take screenshots of Bruno and Rufus, 4FBD21F2-389A-4899-8656-1CC968BA8836.thumb.jpeg.269590d856f42d71fa03105c67739c52.jpegE85119A5-AF65-4DF1-8795-2ADCADCE2642.thumb.jpeg.6bf1a42ccb67075e7e31a9f9ce72a539.jpeg4FBD21F2-389A-4899-8656-1CC968BA8836.thumb.jpeg.269590d856f42d71fa03105c67739c52.jpegpull torches, and set out for the nearby rabbit grove… with an inventory loaded with smelly things.

I got greedy. I spotted the nearby deer and thought: man, he would probably taste really good8F1FDE95-91A7-43F3-8877-17EDA56CBA7B.thumb.jpeg.257f5d02e1c3e5956b0e8e54b36eca22.jpegSo, I chased him. As I expected, he ran in the direction that I was not wanting him to go to. Sighing, I turned the corner... and ended up staring straight into the twin smug grins of Bruno and Rufus. Apparently, their AI was confused; they took turns charging and growling.

Suffice it to say, I panicked and entered another FAP. I helplessly watched as Native 4 threw the torch at the terrible twins, rather than waving them off with a rock as he should have done, and then took a screenshot.0D6D32BE-B9B3-44B4-94A7-45B573155B1B.thumb.jpeg.d32ca1f9bde7de1ba0051dca4cb9a075.jpeg

Time seemed to slow down as I fumbled in my radial bar for another torch and began to light it, but it was too late. Rufus was upon me before I could light it. With 33% condition, I selected the hammer… and died almost instantly. Let me repeat that. Almost instantly. I didn’t even have time to see my strike connect, before I died.A25B4B1F-4FF4-4C69-A6FE-79EB0B7630EA.thumb.jpeg.add301806ec4751a4788c006f45a3162.jpeg

I began to swear like a sailor, even as I started Native 5…

This time, I will avenge myself. This time, I will triumph. This time, I will accomplish my sworn duty, or die trying.

Cue the Doom Eternal soundtrack. I’ve got wolves to shave.

-Robert Oppenheimer

Oh dear...my sympathies.    You certainly gave them the runaround though.

Pesky pair of salesmen..   

I loved the image of them just sitting there on the ice watching you😁

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BareSkin said:

First time I wrote this, in my mind it was already "copylefted". This is a very little contribution compared to the great time I spend reading your stories. Nearly as good as a WW&S WIC bargain!

Good to see you around buddy!

The whole forum is already a massive piece of collective cultural heritage.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

-Robert Oppenheime

In my diary you changed this for me to be The Destroyer of Wolves. We need that for you! Especially as you do insist dancing with them so frequently 🙈 Of course it was Bruno ad Rufus, those two definitely have a taste for Conan Steak.

Although you were lucky the earlier wolf didn't get you! Stealing his stick from under his nose? That's like taking food from Socks' plate - it's asking to get a fork in your hand!

(Although I did laugh at you getting caught on the fence ... a bit like when I decided it was a good idea to try and shoot a bear behind one and just shot the wood! 🤷‍♀️😄)

14 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

I began to swear like a sailor

Hmm... that phrase sounds familiar, someone else here uses it a lot instead of what she actually says 🤔😁

BRING ON NATIVE 5!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 4:09 PM, conanjaguar said:

Interloper / Native 1
All righty, it’s time to start this challenge, the Return of The Ancients, as I call it. First of all, we need a plan. A good, solid plan. A bit of luck wouldn’t hurt, either.

So, here’s the plan. It will disintegrate upon first contact with the enemy, but it never hurts. A good plan now will save a lot of improvisation later.
Forlorn Muskeg spawn, grab matches, hit Trapper’s for Hammer ASAP. Loot entire region for scrap metal whilst hopping bunnies and living the Hotzn Way.

[...]

+1 for going to live the Hotzn way for sure.

On 9/2/2022 at 3:41 PM, conanjaguar said:

I will indulge in a bit of vainglory here. I wish to become as renowned as @Drifter ManI want my name whispered around campfires. I want the very trees to shake and tremble in fear at the first sign my approach.
Perhaps the first step to become as famous as @Drifter Man is to use his format.

Another +1 for trying to reach for the stars.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

A moment of silence, please, for the great @Hotzn has returned!

Old Hotzn is currently on approx. day 600 of what he calls the Real Life Interloper Little Daughter Run. Condition is down to 23%, cabin fever risk high. Little Daughter is messing around with Hotzn's gear all the time, carrying everything around the base (or outside). Survival at its finest. Hence the bouts of absence from these forums. But today I dropped by, happy to see old faces around. I am not gone (yet)...

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Old Hotzn is currently on approx. day 600 of what he calls the Real Life Interloper Little Daughter Run. Condition is down to 23%, cabin fever risk high. Little Daughter is messing around with Hotzn's gear all the time, carrying everything around the base (or outside). Survival at its finest. Hence the bouts of absence from these forums. But today I dropped by, happy to see old faces around. I am not gone (yet)...

Nice! I remember those days (my kids are in their 20s now). You have not yet begun to be tired. Just FYI. Also, if you think it's bad now wrt messing around with your gear, you haven't seen anything yet. At about six hundred days she must be up on her hind legs by now, pretty soon it's going to move from the "to be safe everything must be five feet off the floor" to "oh shit she can climb the furniture we need a room that locks" phase of the run.

Best, and enjoy, while the twos can be rough the following eight to ten years are fantastic... and then, they become teens, and you're down on the Frozen Delta without a revolver until they get into their second decade or thereabouts.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

Interloper / Native 5 / Day 1

Another dawn start in the ravine crash site in Milton. As expected, the weather was a flt of -26C. I dropped my clothes in a neat pile and began ther long climb up. This time, I had a new strategy: get to the top as soon as possible; don’t stop to search any containers or loot. I have to say, it worked pretty well. I only picked 56 rose hips, and hypothermia risk was only just announcing itself as I reached the plane.

I poked around the crash site for a few minutes, but couldn’t find any scrap metal, so I continued on my way. As I approached the first rabbit pond, I didn’t see Wolfgang Wolf anywhere… FA542C26-245E-402B-9498-A76E4F5862D1.thumb.jpeg.0d283ae52b8b77a7788856e0d9b48b61.jpeg…until I turned around, that is.

With the first few percentiles of frostbite risk announcing itself, I snuck down the slope until I felt that I was safely out of his aggro range, and then sprinted for the second half of the distance to the rabbit pond. Checking my frostbite risk, I deemed it safe to bag some bunnies.

A few minutes later, I had 54% frostbite risk, and still no bunnies. I was about to give up when I threw a rock at one that was making funny faces at me.  I watched in awe as the rock flew through the air… and impacted! I ran up to the rabbit and finally dispatched it with a second rock at point-blank range, then turned to find another bunny coming right at me. Another rock, and another bunny in the pack. I bagged another one and continued on my way… with 75% frostbite risk!

I was in such a hurry to get to shelter that I forgot to take screenshots, but there was a bunny at the second rabbit pond. Enter another FAP, and another bunny down. As I snapped it’s neck, I was incredulous. It was quite a distance away, and I wasn’t even trying to hit it; it was a “what the heck, why not” throw.

After a few more minutes of sprinting, I reached the radio tower. A quick check of my status showed 80% frostbite risk; it was going to be close. ADDA8C5B-2216-4B57-BC80-81AEB28B0476.thumb.jpeg.e50e3fa3a2da8e82bbb363546d20bb8c.jpeg

As usual, I elected to goat down the slope. As usual, I was welcomed by the local real estate and insurance agents, and, as usual, I ended up sprinting to the nearest house and slamming the door in their faces. After catching my breath and preparing the rose hips I had picked, I exited the house, rocks ready. Fortunately, the wolves were nowhere to be seen, and I was able to make my way to Grey Mother’s house without incident.

I took water from the toiletC8FD24D9-2AC2-43FA-AC3C-95EB836C2031.thumb.jpeg.2cd66bd58c323ad6566e9e2b6ca0f497.jpeg and began to search the house. I grabbed the matches, the two cooking pots, and the storm lantern, then searched the cupboards for a bottle of all-natural lamp oil. I then eagerly went upstairs, tore down the cloth, and found… a cup of coffee.

Shrugging, I harvested my rabbits (a process that took almost five hours by hand), and went downstairs to cook them (and boil water, of course!). As I didn’t find any spray paint, I just dropped the guts and pelts in a pile in front of the stove.

Supper consisted of my freshly-killed rabbit meat, washed down with still-hot water, and so to bed. The first day was over; *only* 49 more to go!

• Upvote 3

GOOD LUCK NATIVE 5!

(Makes me think of Johnny Number 5, Short Circuit. May your resilience be as Johnny's!)

9 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Interloper / Native 5 / Day 1

Another dawn start in the ravine crash site in Milton.

Do you do a random start? I don't think I've ever started there, and only a few times in Milton.

.I was about to give up when I threw a rock at one that was making funny faces at me.

Awwh! He was just playing. You're mean. For food yes but if funny faces were an issue I'd forever be having rocks thrown at me. I'm with bunny here. Rest in Peace Funny Face.

I was incredulous. It was quite a distance away, and I wasn’t even trying to hit it; it was a “what the heck, why not” throw.

I think the only rock hits I ever got were exactly these kind of throws! Aside from the fact I don't like throwing rocks at bunnies, this is a big reason why I can't play Loper. Without a rifle, revolver or fishing line I starve. I am a terrible shot. Yes, yes I throw like a girl. And I'm a girl so I can say that.

I then eagerly went upstairs, tore down the cloth, and found… a cup of coffee.

Nectar of the Gods. Oh wait, you can't have it. Gimme. I'll savour in your presence so you can see what you're missing 😜😄

As I didn’t find any spray paint, I just dropped the guts and pelts in a pile in front of the stove.

Bugger. I was looking forward to the next installation!

The first day was over; *only* 49 more to go!

Umm, wasn't 5 (or 6?) days the record so far?

Let's aim for that! 😄 Eat Elephant Steaks not the whole Elephant.

JOHNNY FIVE IS ALIVE!

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

On 10/6/2022 at 2:28 AM, Hotzn said:

Old Hotzn is currently on approx. day 600 of what he calls the Real Life Interloper Little Daughter Run. Condition is down to 23%, cabin fever risk high.

Nothing a few 10-hour sessions of uninterrupted sleep could not fix. In a cave, of course :D

Native 5 / Day 2 / I am Johnny

I awoke hungry and dehydrated, as usual. On a normal ‘Loper run, I would drink delicious toilet water and let my stomach continue eating itself. However, for this run, I wanted to (and still do) experiment with staying well-fed. So, I ate three rabbits, and, with grease still running down my chin, I set out.

The weather was fairly nice, clear skies with some light snow, and no wind whatsoever. After considering my options, I set out for St. Christopher’s Church because… why not?

The road was clear until I could see the church. And then, all hell broke loose. 418778D6-5B42-4E79-BB67-76EC76C375DF.thumb.jpeg.c6691520652d2a3b8e2e0c5792ee2dcd.jpegFirst off, I was greeted by the friendly neighborhood evangelist.
“Excuse me, my son, would you allow me to show you-“
Suffice it to say, I was complacent. Instead of igniting my torch like a good Native, I began throwing rocks at the wolf.

I overestimated my throwing skills, throwing three rocks before the charge was triggered. I panicked, screaming such choice German words as “Gottverdamnt!” and “Shise, Shise, Shise!”, as well as some Polish ones. As I was about to accept death, my last rock sailed from my hand, and flew true, striking the wolf soundly on the snozzle with a resounding “thud!”, and sending it running off.

I bolted inside the church and said a brief prayer of thanks, before realizing that it was still cold inside.B3D06582-ADB4-4636-919B-3B104EF6AD8A.thumb.jpeg.3c9100462abaf0f8587a2aaa17521c3d.jpeg However, I had a bright idea. I was a bit peckish, so I decided to go harvest the nearby frozen deer carcass out on the rabbit pond.10D8E856-3DC3-4C43-8B3E-354AB751D4DF.thumb.jpeg.354220469a2d5198e9150d8d3bf48752.jpeg

As I put water on to boil, and prepared a hot cuppa, the weather was still fine. However, as I drank down the tea, a sudden gust of wind blew out my fire. Cursing my luck, I chanced to see bunnies and cattails in the near distance. I wouldn’t go to bed hungry tonight, after all.

Drawing my rocks from their pouch, I sallied forth. It soon became apparent that I had lost my touch; the bunnies proved impervious to my efforts. Frustrated, I once again threw my last rock in another “why the heck not?” shot… and I hit! That’s when the wolf came back.

The wind was still whistling through the trees, so I “walked the dog”, leading him around in a looping path to the left of the church. And, wouldn’t you know it, I got caught on the fence, just as he began to charge! I got unstuck and entered the building with his teeth scraping at my ankle. I lit a fire to warm up while I harvested the bunny, but, like a fool, realized too late that I couldn’t cook the meat, and that I had left my other cooking pot and recycled can out there!40F8B910-C10F-4BDC-A39F-89AF5A0A9249.thumb.jpeg.708c8537cc07dd58f2260a79703a70f1.jpeg

Sighing, I went back out grab my belongings while annoying the wolf and bagging the second bunny. Without much else to do, I ate cattails and went to bed early.

• Upvote 1

Native 5 / Day 3

I awoke in pitch blackness… how am I supposed to walk in the light if I can’t see a darned thing? Sighing and shivering, I lit up my torch and prayed that it would not be windy outside. Fortunately, the early morning air was still; only the faintest whisper of wind blew through the tops of the trees.

I began a brisk jog into town… surprisingly, the wolves left me alone, despite my burden of bunny parts. As the sun rose, I reached the outskirts of town. At the river, I stopped for a bit to pick 20 or so cattails to satisfy my growling stomach, 9B6A7342-B006-40C9-AF4A-D0BA1BE78EF7.thumb.jpeg.4e55bfe0220be50c2a8a3ca0973696aa.jpegbefore being chased out by a local yokel. After getting payback on him by landing a rock on his snout, I decided that the weather was perfect for bunny hunting. As my torches were still going, I was doing fine. So, I lit up a fire, piled on the sticks, set my other pieces of meat on to cook, and commenced the hunt.60CCB769-5254-443A-A31D-3680642FAFF6.thumb.jpeg.9edc81bc227b20f3a70d89234cb49adb.jpeg

”‘Twas a glorious hunt indeed. Swift and sure flew the stones from the mighty Native’s hand, and rapid was his gait in catching the unconscious animals. His calloused hands sent the rabbits painlessly to the world beyond…” Such is how the reporter Nhotz from the Interloper Monthly Magazine would describe it, and he would not be too far off. I bagged three rabbits in the span of ten minutes, and began harvesting one. Ooooh it’s c-c-c-cold!!! My fire could no longer overcome the air temperature, and I lost a few precious percentiles of condition before realizing it and running inside. I harvested all the bunnies, but elected not to cook them.

After a quick two-hour nap, it was now mid-afternoon, and I decided to get it over with and head to Paradise Meadows. I stepped outside… right smack in the middle of a blizzard. Perfect weather for traveling, I said to myself. Filled with confidence, I set out into the blinding wall of snow.

I stopped for a bit to pick mushrooms in the grove near the old schoolhouse, and pricked up my ears. I heard something. I jutted my brother’s game, told him to shut up, and listened intently. Over the howling wind, I could hear the faint sound of rattling chains and an eerie whispering. I was a bit unnerved, but dismissed it as just the swing swinging in the wind.46D7440C-EF43-4C53-A102-BA448CCC0997.thumb.jpeg.4a3908b0d226a51e8dff6ee8505d43b3.jpeg

However, the sound followed me all the way to Paradise Meadows, and I became increasingly spooked. I frantically looked around for the key, ran inside, and immediately made a beeline for the counter… where there were no matches! I thought that was a guaranteed spawn?

Grumbling, I lit up the stove and began to cook all my rabbit meat. Over the crackling of the fire and the blizzard outside, I could have sworn I still heard rattling chains. Fortifying my stomach and nerves with some fresh meat, I sent out to pick rose hips, came back inside, and made a few cups of tea.

As there was nothing else to do, I went to bed early…

• Upvote 2

Native 5 / Day 4

Once again, I awoke before dawn. In pitch blackness, I fumbled my way to the door and hoped that Bruno and Rufus were still asleep.

Apparently, they were. So far, so good. I made my down to the rabbit grove nearby the stream and lit a fire, ready to commence with the bopping. As the fire flared to life, I then had a “doh!” moment. How on Raph’s Frozen Earth was I supposed to hit bunnies in the dark of night? Nonetheless, I was determined not to waste my match.

I soon got into a rhythm. Sitting by the fire and cooking tea, I scammed the darkness for movement. 4887141D-BDD4-469E-A102-B594D929BCF7.thumb.jpeg.bbb393da2f892dd4ff455346404effa5.jpegWhen I noticed something, I went to work, sneaking out and throwing rocks at the source of the movement. In this fashion, I bagged two bunnies and nearly got my face ripped off by Bruno.

After being jumpscared, I returned to my fire, dropped the bunnies, ED88A2C0-E0A1-4F84-BF88-D25CAD93E0A3.thumb.jpeg.9aa738215e973e189909c458f6c58f00.jpegand pulled a few torches, before setting out for the river. I was able to work relatively undisturbed, and before I knew it, I was freezing, almost overburdened by my load of cattails and rosehips, but the real prize was the two pieces of birch bark! So, I returned to my fire.15FA17B5-089E-4D8E-A86D-B607080C4305.thumb.jpeg.15f73c6171a0d9e0f1b7b28a2205d984.jpeg

Elated, I crafted the tea… only to notice that something was off. Once again, my fore couldn’t overcome the air temperature. As the sun began to rise, I drank the hot tea and went back inside for a nap… or so I thought.

I awoke around mid-afternoon, grabbed everything, and left for Grey Mother’s house. I like Paradise Meadows, but on this difficulty, it’s only a matter of time before I get mauled to death. My concerns were proven true; on the way to Grey Mothers, I had no fewer than FOUR wolves come after me. I shook them off and ran inside.

I went into the kitchen and began to harvest my smelly burden, and then cooked it… medium-rare, as usual. While my meat was cooking, I took a few seconds to count my rabbit pelts… I had 8 in all. With two pieces of scrap metal so far, I can make a tackle at Trappers, and then make some hats and gloves. Anyway, back to the game.

After cooking the rabbits, I harvested a pot, pulled a few torches, and went upstairs to bed. As if on cue, the aurora came out to play. I went outside to snap a few pictures, before I was chased back in by a glowing wolf. 24AEEA34-B281-4531-8F06-537D551AFEED.thumb.jpeg.2774132ff087454f3515efc96a405af7.jpeg277B86EC-A07A-4090-A69C-EEBBBF00BEDC.thumb.jpeg.9f89b9c140c82584aa9c8c48a4763c54.jpeg673E1615-6F68-40F5-BDBF-7AF0FD3A541B.thumb.jpeg.f7f5ca6af7ad3f6010ab617c058af585.jpegAll in all, a good day. I ate supper and went to bed for ten hours.

• Upvote 3

Day 4 still alive! 👍 Forgetting about the disturbing bunny neck breaking graphics, which I can't cope with, I cannot master the stone throwing. Mind you the fact I'm hugely impatient doesn't help. I just end up lobbing stones in frustration. 

Keep going! We want to see that magic seven days!

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Native 5 / Day 4

Once again, I awoke before dawn. In pitch blackness, I fumbled my way to the door and hoped that Bruno and Rufus were still asleep.

Apparently, they were. So far, so good. I made my down to the rabbit grove nearby the stream and lit a fire, ready to commence with the bopping. As the fire flared to life, I then had a “doh!” moment. How on Raph’s Frozen Earth was I supposed to hit bunnies in the dark of night? Nonetheless, I was determined not to waste my match.

I soon got into a rhythm. Sitting by the fire and cooking tea, I scammed the darkness for movement. 4887141D-BDD4-469E-A102-B594D929BCF7.thumb.jpeg.bbb393da2f892dd4ff455346404effa5.jpegWhen I noticed something, I went to work, sneaking out and throwing rocks at the source of the movement. In this fashion, I bagged two bunnies and nearly got my face ripped off by Bruno.

After being jumpscared, I returned to my fire, dropped the bunnies, ED88A2C0-E0A1-4F84-BF88-D25CAD93E0A3.thumb.jpeg.9aa738215e973e189909c458f6c58f00.jpegand pulled a few torches, before setting out for the river. I was able to work relatively undisturbed, and before I knew it, I was freezing, almost overburdened by my load of cattails and rosehips, but the real prize was the two pieces of birch bark! So, I returned to my fire.15FA17B5-089E-4D8E-A86D-B607080C4305.thumb.jpeg.15f73c6171a0d9e0f1b7b28a2205d984.jpeg

Elated, I crafted the tea… only to notice that something was off. Once again, my fore couldn’t overcome the air temperature. As the sun began to rise, I drank the hot tea and went back inside for a nap… or so I thought.

I awoke around mid-afternoon, grabbed everything, and left for Grey Mother’s house. I like Paradise Meadows, but on this difficulty, it’s only a matter of time before I get mauled to death. My concerns were proven true; on the way to Grey Mothers, I had no fewer than FOUR wolves come after me. I shook them off and ran inside.

I went into the kitchen and began to harvest my smelly burden, and then cooked it… medium-rare, as usual. While my meat was cooking, I took a few seconds to count my rabbit pelts… I had 8 in all. With two pieces of scrap metal so far, I can make a tackle at Trappers, and then make some hats and gloves. Anyway, back to the game.

After cooking the rabbits, I harvested a pot, pulled a few torches, and went upstairs to bed. As if on cue, the aurora came out to play. I went outside to snap a few pictures, before I was chased back in by a glowing wolf. 24AEEA34-B281-4531-8F06-537D551AFEED.thumb.jpeg.2774132ff087454f3515efc96a405af7.jpeg277B86EC-A07A-4090-A69C-EEBBBF00BEDC.thumb.jpeg.9f89b9c140c82584aa9c8c48a4763c54.jpeg673E1615-6F68-40F5-BDBF-7AF0FD3A541B.thumb.jpeg.f7f5ca6af7ad3f6010ab617c058af585.jpegAll in all, a good day. I ate supper and went to bed for ten hours.

Have you thought of checking out the cave to hrv?  There might be some coal in there if you're lucky.  

R.I.P. bunny