Return of The Ancients - my attempts at the Neo-Native challenge

conanjaguar

5 hours ago, JMK said:

Lately (Interloper), I had the birch and mapple cured before going to the forge thinking this time I won't have such a dodgy return ha !. Crafted the tools and arrows tips, now to the work bench ... to realize I forgot the take the cured guts to make the bow 😭😭😭

Ha ha yeah god damn  2x guts. Actually i remember similar thing in one of my runs. Was frustrated to wait for them to cure. I forgot to drop them in trappers cabin. Actually i put them in storage thinking them were done. 

Edited by James Hickok

On 9/9/2022 at 4:59 PM, conanjaguar said:

Native 1 / Day 2

Oops :D. This is a classic example of the “numbered survivor personality regression” phenomenon noted by @Drifter Man.

I’m currently trying to reconstruct the events of the next (last?) few days from memory.

One sneak peek though...
There was no hammer in Carter Hydro!
Oh no, off with another silly rhyme I go!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Native 1 / Day 3

As usual, I awoke with an empty stomach. While looking over my situation, I decided that 40 cattails can only go so far towards keeping me fed. I’m a big, hairy caveman, after all; I needed meat! With that in mind, I set out for the nearby rabbit grove.

Outside, there was a light fog, and temperatures were mild. Upon arriving at the rabbit grove, I was elated to discover that a simple fire of sticks would suffice to keep me warm. Readying my trusty rock, I strode forth, intent on bagging some bunnies. Boy did that ever go awry. 

Part of it has to do with my own stupidity; part of it has to do with the fact that bunnies enter turbojet mode whenever the torch drops - BAM.

Whilst chasing a bunny, I heard Rusty’s familiar bark. “Excuse me sir, would you be interested in taking a look at these wonderfully cheap and convenient wolfbite insurance policies?”

Well, since I let him finish his sentence, you may deduce that I got mauled. If you did, then you are right. And, you are right. I did indeed get mauled. Fortunately, I was “only” chewed down to a bit less than 50% condition, suffering a sprained ankle before I sent Rusty off running.

Yet, even sprained ankle did not stop my rabbit hunting. I ended up bagging both right under Rusty’s nose, harvesting them on the spot. I drank a warm broth of fresh rabbit blood and returned to Trappers.EE225A1E-293C-4B8C-B8BF-0799793A127E.thumb.jpeg.c8a48dbca7acdf84105cc34e106c8387.jpeg

This little misadventure took up much of the day, so I napped and harvested modern items until evening, before hitting the sack.

• Upvote 5

Native 3 / Day 4

I awoke before the sun rose, intent on getting to the Camp Office in time to take a quick nap and continue to Carter Hydro without becoming exhausted. 

The sky was clear; a few delicate snowflakes floated down, borne by a gentle breeze. But, it was cold, and I had no time for such ruminations. I had to get to the Office before I froze to death.

As expected, I was freezing, with risk of hypothermia and six frostbite risks, by the time I reached the railroad. As I did, however, I noticed the wind picking up to an extreme gust. I noticed what at first appeared to be a bolt of lightning racing along the tracks. Upon closer inspection, however, I realized that within the lightning bolt was Leeanda, sprinting along on her merry journey between regions.

Chuckling, I continued to the Office, blindly making my way up to the bedroom and napping until dawn. Upon awakening, I quickly searched the building (a whetstone and lamp fuel), and continued on my way. 

The road to the Carter Hydro Dam was mostly free of wolves, so I took my time, collecting feathers from all the carcasses on the route and picking up sticks. At the bridge, Rusty barked. “Excuse me sir, would you be interested in-‘
I put on a burst of speed and entered the closest trailer with his teeth nipping at my heels.

I entered the Dam, making a thorough search whilst keeping my torches in reserve. Unfortunately, there was no hammer!

Disgusted and disappointed, I returned to the trailer and hit the sack, ten pieces of scrap metal jingling in my pack.

• Upvote 4

@conanjaguar

I love this bonkers challenge! I'm fascinated by all the mad challenges people come up with. After this current run, or maybe alongside if it is a long one, I might even throw my hat in the ring on something. It will have to allow a gun though, I've spent so many hours trying to master the bow and I just can't. Not worth the rage 😁

I'll keep watching with great interest! Rusty is a very pushy salesman for sure. Always always catches me or attempts to! 

Good luck looking for the hammer my friend.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Upon closer inspection, however, I realized that within the lightning bolt was Leeanda, sprinting along on her merry journey between regions.

🤣🤣🤣

I thought I ran a lot but boy does that girl move! Grey Mother on stims.

I think Hinterland should introduce a new sprinting feat just for her 😁

• Upvote 1

Native 3 / Day 5

Okay, why am I alive right now? How am I alive right now? Why have I been deemed deserving by the RNG gods to continue this run? Truly, this is a secret of the Universe that demands explanation.

It began just like any other ordinary day. I awoke in the trailer, hungry and dehydrated, at 57% condition. As I checked my inventory, I realized that I had no water! It was dark (before dawn), and I tried to find my way out of the trailer... with an unlit torch in hand. As I clicked on what I thought was the door, I heard the sickening sound of “whit!”. One match down, and I had only three left!

I decided to light my torch (two matches left) and exit the trailer. Said torch was immediately blown out by the snowstorm; not quite a blizzard, but close enough. Argh! 

I then set out for the Camp Office. There were no wolves on the tra - “Excuse me sir, would you be interested in-“
Yep. It was Rusty.
”Go away!” I desperately threw all my rocks at him while walking backwards.
”Oh, but sir, I really must show you these cheap, convenient insurance polices from Wolfgang Wolf & Sons Wolfbite Insurance Company. Really spectacular stuff. Here, see for yourself.”
At this point, I was already running. 

Alas, he was already on the charge. My futile attempts at running delayed the inevitable by a few seconds, but no more. 518C86F5-1275-4F52-A5F7-3CC735F0A421.thumb.jpeg.485921d356e370340b483fd9c5bfa6b8.jpegIt was brutal, but the damage was slight, as ‘Loper wolf maulings go; I “only” lost about 50% condition, leaving me with 7% left. Freezing. In a snowstorm. With the nearest warm place halfway across the region.CD0524E0-9286-4589-9E07-64B73BFA0EA9.thumb.jpeg.b853069f271ce6be0e8fb0beb3f54674.jpeg

I got to my feet and bandages the sprained wrist, running for the Camp Office. As I passed the Derailment, it was clear that I wouldn’t make it; I was swaying and staggering like a drunk. As I finally entered sight of the Office, I had perhaps 2% condition remaining, and even that was draining fast. 1827CC9D-176A-4284-BE01-D9F1D82AD155.thumb.jpeg.aedccbe51376867b6a08853e3c6dcb74.jpeg6B3F78B2-E892-4D05-85FF-6F2F2C9FF010.thumb.jpeg.de62e6ad4ee5d19a0879c7084df0bdb4.jpegWhat would I have given for a Stim right now? Probably the world.

As I reached the door, my vision faded to black, I teetered on the edge of the Long Dark... and fought back, staggering to the stove and lighting a fire with my last bit of lamp oil. I piled the coal on, ate cattails, and put water on to boil. 843FC9DE-2E33-48D4-8AE4-C4F557B2699A.thumb.jpeg.4e6e36059e69b31223dee77fe02fef2f.jpegAs I checked my journal, my heart jumped into my throat:0F603029-740D-4738-B8EC-29063F856270.thumb.jpeg.18daf8e0ed0bbc44ba348bf925640c6c.jpegI was technically dead already!

And yet, I was stupid enough to pull a torch, drink the last of my hot tea, and go out to gather sticks! Surprisingly, I lived, but, again, getting to the door was a problem.1EA999C8-3919-4E23-BF3E-4E6D3A90B217.thumb.jpeg.cf3f00a45d2f4e49893abdc8ff3790ef.jpegI made a beeline to the bed and collapsed for 10 hours.

Native 4 / Ruminations 1

It is once again time to ruminate, and boy is it needed. Here is my current situation as of the middle of the night:

Condition: Approximately 15%
Firestarting: A few sticks, a few pieces of coal, and a single match.
Food: 5 cattails, 0.50L water.
Gear: Some torches. That’s it!
Medicines: Some bandages.
Crafting materials: 6 pieces of cloth, 9 pieces of scrap metal.

How can I make the best of this situation? I think that going to Milton will give me the best shot at continuing, but first, I turn to the wisdom of the old masters.

• Upvote 7
  • Like 1

Heads up, I have just extended the challenge through October to allow players to have time for multiple runs + have a life, and also for some fellow streamers to finish their current challenge run and start this one. I felt very stressed by the deadline vs. work, and I hope this makes the challenge possible for more players!

• Upvote 2

@conanjaguar

Oh my goodness, talk about a succession of close calls! I can feel the swaying and sense of impending doom that takes over; your screenshots illustrate it perfectly.

I snort laughed at "I was technically dead" 🤣🤣 

Strangely it's making me want to have a go, but unfortunately I cannot. I can't do anything useful with the bow. I'd only be able to fish. But I'm keeping the basic premise in mind to adapt for a Socks version of Neo Native in the future.

Can't wait for the next instalment! 👍

@Sgt Socks

You won’t have long to wait... unfortunately, this is the last installment of the brave Native.

Native 4 / Day 5 / continued

After taking stock of my situation and consulting the wisdom of the ancients, I elected to take @Leeandas advice. I quickly and thoroughly searched the building for matches, a mag lens, or even a rose hip, but turned up with *only* a third cooking pot and a package of Herbal Tea! Just what I needed; too bad it wasn't allowed.

Sighing, I went around back to break all the nearby branches and scrub  bushes, 488D78FC-83C2-49C6-97BE-3158195199C7.thumb.jpeg.2b0034c2b22647b8b8d22874c7b3d5c3.jpegcoming back inside by the time I began freezing. I made a beeline up to the bedroom and lit up a fire with my last match... no more fire from here on. I made the most of it though; boiling eight liters of water. 803D2D7A-8B74-4CB5-95B5-74062F5923DC.thumb.jpeg.5e360164bd5f5852a4c7b5b17dc4dbe7.jpegWhile my water was boiling, I took a torch and quickly peeked outside... blizzard!

By now in a “Kamikaze” mood, I strode forth into the blizzard, icicles hanging from my bushy beard, and went to gather the nearby cattails; gathering seven in all. Triumphantly, and with 2% condition, I staggered back to my pots of water, ate my cattails, and slept for six hours.3143B957-96ED-40AE-BF6F-51DE52A3F295.thumb.jpeg.511b6306062e37c7cddbfb05450a8765.jpeg

Native 4 / Day 6 / Fading

I awoke well before dawn, setting out into the snow. I was still in a Kamikaze mood; it was do or die. It was bitterly cold, but, again, I paid no heed. Even when Rusty gave his customary greeting, I paid no heed; just trudging along on my merry way.
”Excuse me sir, would you be interested in-“
”Um... sir? Could I speak to you for a moment?”
”Hey, are you okay?”

I tossed a rock in Rusty’s general direction, not caring if I hit him or not, and continued fumbling through the darkness towards Trappers. Thankfully, the way remained clear, and I entered Trapper’s with a red condition bar, but surprisingly still undead. I slept for a few hours to warm up and recover some condition, and then began the next leg of my journey.

I awoke with the sun, stepped outside, hoping for “grandma fog”,
(as @Drifter Man called it). Nope. Instead, I got another snowstorm! Grumbling in whatever Japanese words I could think of, (actually, my brain was reverberating with something like “damndamndamndamndamndamn!”, but did you really think I was going to say that out loud? 🙃.) I entered the transition cave,

Thankfully, it was warmer than what was going on outside, so I could linger for a while in pitch darkness... something I had no desire to do, as I couldn’t see a blasted thing. So, I fumbled my way through, no doubt missing every piece of coal and loot.

Upon emerging from the cave, it was apparent that the weather would soon turn into a blizzard. Hurriedly, I picked six cattails as I sprinted for the rope. Hypothermia risk arrived; if I climbed, I would freeze. So I elected to try the goat. I made it past the first ledge (which reduced me to 0% condition, but I was still undead), and dropped one inch to the next one. Splat. Worst thing is: I could see the cave where the matches were 😢. TLD can be so cruel at times.

And, back to the drawing board for Native 5. A fresh start awaits.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

@Sgt Socks

You won’t have long to wait... unfortunately, this is the last installment of the brave Native.

Native 4 / Day 5 / continued

After taking stock of my situation and consulting the wisdom of the ancients, I elected to take @Leeandas advice. I quickly and thoroughly searched the building for matches, a mag lens, or even a rose hip, but turned up with *only* a third cooking pot and a package of Herbal Tea! Just what I needed; too bad it wasn't allowed.

Sighing, I went around back to break all the nearby branches and scrub  bushes, 488D78FC-83C2-49C6-97BE-3158195199C7.thumb.jpeg.2b0034c2b22647b8b8d22874c7b3d5c3.jpegcoming back inside by the time I began freezing. I made a beeline up to the bedroom and lit up a fire with my last match... no more fire from here on. I made the most of it though; boiling eight liters of water. 803D2D7A-8B74-4CB5-95B5-74062F5923DC.thumb.jpeg.5e360164bd5f5852a4c7b5b17dc4dbe7.jpegWhile my water was boiling, I took a torch and quickly peeked outside... blizzard!

By now in a “Kamikaze” mood, I strode forth into the blizzard, icicles hanging from my bushy beard, and went to gather the nearby cattails; gathering seven in all. Triumphantly, and with 2% condition, I staggered back to my pots of water, ate my cattails, and slept for six hours.3143B957-96ED-40AE-BF6F-51DE52A3F295.thumb.jpeg.511b6306062e37c7cddbfb05450a8765.jpeg

Native 4 / Day 6 / Fading

I awoke well before dawn, setting out into the snow. I was still in a Kamikaze mood; it was do or die. It was bitterly cold, but, again, I paid no heed. Even when Rusty gave his customary greeting, I paid no heed; just trudging along on my merry way.
”Um... sir? Could I speak to you for a moment?”
”Hey, are you okay?”

I tossed a rock in Rusty’s general direction, not caring if I hit him or not, and continued fumbling through the darkness towards Trappers. Thankfully, the way remained clear, and I entered Trapper’s with a red condition bar, but surprisingly still undead. I slept for a few hours to warm up and recover some condition, and then began the next leg of my journey.

I awoke with the sun, stepped outside, hoping for “grandma fog”,
(as @Drifter Man called it). Nope. Instead, I got another snowstorm! Grumbling in whatever Japanese words I could think of, (actually, my brain was reverberating with something like “damndamndamndamndamndamn!”, but did you really think I was going to say that out loud? 🙃.) I entered the transition cave,

Thankfully, it was warmer than what was going on outside, so I could linger for a while in pitch darkness... something I had no desire to do, as I couldn’t see a blasted thing. So, I fumbled my way through, no doubt missing every piece of coal and loot.

Upon emerging from the cave, it was apparent that the weather would soon turn into a blizzard. Hurriedly, I picked six cattails as I sprinted for the rope. Hypothermia risk arrived; if I climbed, I would freeze. So I elected to try the goat. I made it past the first ledge (which reduced me to 0% condition, but I was still undead), and dropped one inch to the next one. Splat. Worst thing is: I could see the cave where the matches were 😢. TLD can be so cruel at times.

And, back to the drawing board for Native 5. A fresh start awaits.

Oh no!!!!!!! Rest in Peace dear Native.

Your storytelling is fabulous Conan! I'm with you on every step; you're funny and brilliant at describing the events and environment. 

I love the "Kamikaze Mode". I too suffer from that at times. And I usually end up in more of a pickle than gherkins.

Thank you for such fantastic entertainment Conan. Its been a blast.

What do you think you will undertake next on Great Bear? From your final comment I assume another stab at this challenge?

Do you have at hand the length of time each Native has survived?

Edited by Sgt Socks

47 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Do you have at hand the length of time each Native has survived?

Native 1: 6 days.

Native 2: A bit less than 8 in-game hours.

Native 3: 6 days.

Hrgn? “Numbered survivor personality regression syndrome” strikes again :D.

So, the next one will be Native 4. I welcome suggestions and discussion about how I should proceed.

1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

Hrgn? “Numbered survivor personality regression syndrome” strikes again :D

I'm glad it's not just me who struggles to count past three 😁 (ooh that rhymes!)

2 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Native 1: 6 days.

Native 2: A bit less than 8 in-game hours.

Native 3: 6 days.

Hrgn? “Numbered survivor personality regression syndrome” strikes again :D

So, the next one will be Native 4. I welcome suggestions and discussion about how I should proceed.

That's interesting, 6 days first and third. Lol 8 hours, bless you on that run. I'd be amazed to last half that!

I can't add to the advice on how to proceed, much of this challenge is way above my head. But if it were me I'd be aiming to break the 6 day record seeing as it seems to be the mystical barrier put in your way by the ancients.

Congratulations to Ancient 3 for coming back from the dead, if only temporarily, after being technically dead... even the deadest of my Deadmen never came back to life after hitting zero!

On 9/20/2022 at 12:05 AM, conanjaguar said:

Wolfgang Wolf & Sons Wolfbite Insurance Company

Last time I spoke with Wolfgang Wolf, he worked in Milton - he was in charge of old-age pensions for survivors. So, he must have moved into insurance since then...

9 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

“grandma fog”

That's actually @BareSkin's term, I only borrowed it :)

• Upvote 1

@Drifter Man

Good to hear from you again!

5 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Last time I spoke with Wolfgang Wolf, he worked in Milton - he was in charge of old-age pensions for survivors. So, he must have moved into insurance since then...

I do borrow quite a lot from you, don’t I :)?

6 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

That's actually @BareSkin's term, I only borrowed it :)

Borrowing the borrowed term...

What would you suggest I do with Native 4?

Interloper / Native 4 / Preface

It is apparent by now that the original plan does not work, the primary reason being that only one box of matches can be found. It also relies far too much on RNG; if the hammer isn’t at Trappers, then I am dead.

So, this time, I think that I will start in Milton; I know that there are AT LEAST three guaranteed match spawns there: one in the cave on the way to Mystery Lake, one in Grey Mother’s house, and one at Paradise Meadows. Plus, if I am really, really lucky, then I just might find that Cured Maple Sapling behind the famous cloth. Having said that, of course Murphy will do his thing and put a cup of coffee there….

The Early Stages are the only part that needs changing.

I will start in the crash site in Milton, just like in Wintermute. From there, I will bop rabbits while making my way up to Grey Mother’s house, and go directly for the cloth. If there is a Cured Maple Sapling, then great. If not… then not so great. Weapon less and naked, I will frantically dash from house to house, picking up any scrap metal I come across. 

Other than that, the base plan remains the same, although I am in a bit less of a rush. Haste means death.

Let’s see how this goes!

Edited by conanjaguar
Added bold writing
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I wish you a good journey and lots of luck🙂

6 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Good luck Conan!  

Just don't carve a bear.  Ever.  It is cursed.

May Native 4 or 3 or 43 survive to day 7 and beyond....

🍀

Thanks!

As it turns out, I have indeed survived the first day, but I’m waiting to get back home to take pictures of my screenshots.

I even made a “cave painting” on the wall at Grey Mother’s house, using the entire can of spray paint. Hopefully that is an “acceptable” use of the spray paint, and won’t disqualify me.

• Upvote 1

On 9/22/2022 at 9:38 AM, conanjaguar said:

@Drifter Man

Good to hear from you again!

What would you suggest I do with Native 4?

Oh, I'm just lurking around :)

I have no advice for this unfamiliar challenge... I guess the usual, move fast and leave a trail of curing items that you will collect later. And, maybe, do not sign any dodgy insurance contracts.

Just now, Drifter Man said:

Oh, I'm just lurking around :)

I have no advice for this unfamiliar challenge... I guess the usual, move fast and leave a trail of curing items that you will collect later. And, maybe, do not sign any dodgy insurance contracts.

Moving fast is rather difficult when there are blizzards every day :D.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Thanks!

As it turns out, I have indeed survived the first day, but I’m waiting to get back home to take pictures of my screenshots.

I even made a “cave painting” on the wall at Grey Mother’s house, using the entire can of spray paint. Hopefully that is an “acceptable” use of the spray paint, and won’t disqualify me.

Day one down, 6 to go!

We won't tell 🤫😉