Return of The Ancients - my attempts at the Neo-Native challenge

conanjaguar

Native 4 / Day 1

As usual, my feats chosen were Cold Fusion and Free Runner. Custom ‘Loper, starting in Mountain Town at dawn. I briefly hovered my mouse over the “Endless Night on” option, but dismissed the insane thought almost immediately.

Sure enough, I spawned in Milton’s ravine crash site at dawn. 1C30E3DF-ABD3-48A3-A284-E95ABDC78156.thumb.jpeg.7231b5cb7be17054747d02265b4bef17.jpegI gathered sticks and rose hips while making my way up to the plane itself; catching a screenshot of it against the sunrise. F92063CE-B79B-4EE1-965F-F92ECCB2907C.thumb.jpeg.cbb0d188d3fac3e233d3cdc14f9662d1.jpeg

Poking around the wreck, I took three pieces of cloth, two pieces of scrap metal, and a Stim. I’ll be disqualified if I ever have to use it. Let’s hope I don’t have to. After gathering more rose hips, I had to sneak past Wolfgang Wolf, who was currently on the phone with his insurance and pension agents. 8C56E5C1-429D-4E0C-8035-E8255F408C9D.thumb.jpeg.b38dbaa598726f32887bc4f2ba070752.jpeg

To say the least, it was nerve-wracking. After making it out of detection range, I sprinted down to the rabbit pond and picked up some stones. My success with bunnies has always been mixed, so I managed to bag two each of rabbits and cattails before being chased out by Wolfgang. 

As I made my way up to the radio tower, I panicked. The reason: I had 85% percent frostbite risk! Again, my brain reverberated with “damndamndamndamn!”, but I didn’t say it out loud. So, I elected to try the goat, hopping down the ledges with no regard for any sprains I might suffer. However, about halfway down, I heard the fateful words.

”Excuse me sir, could you give a starving wolf a dime for a can of dog food?

A slight profanity might have escaped my lips here. I literally flew down the slope, entering the bank manager’s house just as I heard the charge coming.

Slamming the door behind me, I checked my stats... two of my six frostbite risks were over 90%. Shrugging, I took water from the toilet, grabbed the pair of running shoes to harvest later, and took a quick two-hour nap in the (very comfy) bed.

After awakening, I could hear something outside... after glancing over at my siblings and making sure it wasn’t a Reaper Leviathan, I poked my head outside. Yep. A blizzard. Actually, it wasn’t that much of a hindrance; I was able to make the short walk to Grey Mother’s house without being bothered by any salesmen!8BCE831D-803A-49EB-A1D6-C3BF348FD5D1.thumb.jpeg.60b46af4b315f2f6fa67d92b43a87a99.jpeg

Ducking inside and securing the door, I poked around a bit, finding a box of matches, a cooking pot, and a can of spray paint. I quickly made my way up to the second floor, hoping against hope to find that cured maple sapling. 

The moment of truth... I harvested the cloth... and found...EEB5FBFA-040B-489D-8BD9-34C6D3ED3AAA.thumb.jpeg.c6c207f48d50bde47a6b8458875fb938.jpeg

Nothing! Nothing whatsoever.BE5F7915-0562-4613-A7D4-1A0F56FED4E7.thumb.jpeg.a765fcaa7b0358379988d78b53ad84a6.jpeg

Sighing, I made my way back downstairs and used up the can of spray paint; making a cave painting in the wall.

Ihope this doesn’t disqualify me; I’m a caveman, after all, so I must make cave paintings!25882340-445A-497B-9F7E-14A6DAD4D70D.thumb.jpeg.0f89217b60cf6178a03916daefe0ef5c.jpegNow that’s definitely NOT cursed...

With this grim totem watching over me, I made my way to the kitchen. I harvested the rabbits, cooking them as well as six cups of rose hip tea. With that task done, I harvested the pot, went upstairs, ate some rabbit meat, and slept for eight hours.

• Upvote 4

That's a good start.🙂.   I do love your style of writing and your wit.   

May I suggest making those lovely gloves and hat from scrap cloth though. I know they're not brilliant but they'll help with the frostbite a bit.🙂

Great pics and graffiti 👍🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

May I suggest making those lovely gloves and hat from scrap cloth though. I know they're not brilliant but they'll help with the frostbite a bit.🙂

Unfortunately, those are not allowed...

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Great pics and graffiti 👍🙂

I have a new challenge-within-a-challenge: make graffiti in every building :D.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

Unfortunately, those are not allowed...

I have a new challenge-within-a-challenge: make graffiti in every building :D.

Ah!   That's a pity..   they are a crafted item though...maybe a loophole in the rules somewhere?🤔🙂 

LoL.. not sure there's quite that much spray paint around on loper but I look forward to seeing those new designs😁

12 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

25882340-445A-497B-9F7E-14A6DAD4D70D.thumb.jpeg.0f89217b60cf6178a03916daefe0ef5c.jpegNow that’s definitely NOT cursed...

Massive snort laugh! 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe that's what I needed to do before carving the bear....

12 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

The moment of truth... I harvested the cloth... and found...EEB5FBFA-040B-489D-8BD9-34C6D3ED3AAA.thumb.jpeg.c6c207f48d50bde47a6b8458875fb938.jpeg

Nothing! Nothing whatsoever.BE5F7915-0562-4613-A7D4-1A0F56FED4E7.thumb.jpeg.a765fcaa7b0358379988d78b53ad84a6.jpeg

Oh for goodness sake. This is *usually* such a reliable spot! Bad luck mate. Let's hope your painting in offering to the ancients will bring you better fortune moving forward.

Great start Conan, I'm willing this to be the first Native 7 days! Or was it 6? 🤔

Thank you for such an entertaining journal, always such a delight and cheers me up 🧡

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Let's hope your painting in offering to the ancients will bring you better fortune moving forward.

I keep my fingers crossed as well. As soon as I am able, I will mosey along to St. Christopher’s Church and hold Mass there... oh. Wait. I’m not a knight anymore.

Great start Conan, I'm willing this to be the first Native 7 days! Or was it 6? 🤔

We’re technically going for 50, but 6 days is the barrier set by the matchbox :).

Thank you for such an entertaining journal, always such a delight and cheers me up 🧡

Well, your writing skills are *nearly* on par with mine 👍. Your tales are great reads as well.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

I keep my fingers crossed as well. As soon as I am able, I will mosey along to St. Christopher’s Church and hold Mass there... oh. Wait. I’m not a knight anymore.

How's about a sacrilegious pagan ritual with more wall art? 😁😇

We’re technically going for 50, but 6 days is the barrier set by the matchbox :).

Anyone who manages 50 days on your challenge deserves an actual medal!  Just the thought terrifies me!  Even in Mystery Lake which I know inside out.  Don't you mean the Ancients?  Those of curse'd bear carvings? 

Well, your writing skills are *nearly* on par with mine 👍. Your tales are great reads as well.

You cheeky bugger! I'm not sure whether to say thank you or poke you in the eye! 🤔😜😅

But I will thank you, I was just doing an epic entry on my diary but something went wrong and I lost it all, but as I was writing I was thinking "I wish I was as witty as Conan or @Leeanda".  So I appreciate the (backhanded) compliment, I still feel like an imposter writing about my adventures!

Edited by Sgt Socks

Just now, Sgt Socks said:

How's about a sacrilegious pagan ritual with more wall art? 😁😇

Anyone who manages 50 days on your challenge deserves an actual medal!  Just the thought terrifies me!  Even in Mystery Lake which I know inside out.  Don't you mean the Ancients?  Those of curse'd bear carvings? 

You cheeky bugger! I'm not sure whether to say thank you or poke you in the eye! 🤔😜😅

But I will thank you, I was just doing an epic entry on my diary but something went wrong and I lost it all, but as I was writing I was thinking "I wish I was as witty as Conan or @Leeanda".  So I appreciate the (backhanded) compliment, I still feel like an imposter writing about my adventures!

I agree ..  forlorn is tough on most levels .. I would say even on pilgrim but I think that's just me and my no animals bugs.   

Thanks for the compliment but me? Witty??..🤔🙂.   I think @conanjaguar and you have that in the bag.   You're both great story tellers .🙂

4 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Don't you mean the Ancients?  Those of curse'd bear carvings? 

The Terror of the Ancient Matches...

How's about a sacrilegious pagan ritual with more wall art?

Nah.

Well, you see... that might be a bit of a problem. My eyes are not in my avatar; at worst you’ll be poking out the eye of a lizard, who has since departed from the land of the living...

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Thanks for the compliment but me? Witty??..🤔🙂.

Sometimes... reading through your and @Sgt Socks’s comments makes my face split into a dangerously wide smile...

But, enough of that. <waves imperiously>
I have some good news: my offering to the Ancients has been accepted! It’s Day 2, and I’ve found a hammer and a second box of matches!

• Upvote 2

Native 4 / Day 2 / In favor of the Ancients

I awoke rather late in the morning, hungry and dehydrated, but with over 90% condition. Taking stock of my inventory, I decided to leave my rabbit pelts and guts to cure before my grim totem.40FBA80F-F3B1-47E8-91E9-B3903D22012A.thumb.jpeg.e5859748ad8a25d10937e92630500446.jpeg(Sorry if you cant really see them..)

I poked my head outside, to find that it was a blizzard! Perfect weather to go to Paradise Meadows! Taking the opportunity for some wolf-free travel, I quickly crossed the street to go over the bank, where I found nothing of use.

By the time I emerged from the bank, the blizzard had ceased. A heavy fog covered the ground and obscured the sky; a few fat snowflakes lazily drifted down from above. The temperature was a bracing -18C. Torch in hand, I checked the houses leading up to Paradise Meadows... finding nothing of interest, as usual.

By the time I reached the farm, the temperature had warmed up to about -10C. I had almost reached the shed when I heard the familiar voice.9F978281-B6B8-43BD-AAE6-D5F0197FAD54.thumb.jpeg.f7425f940c8b6229f3ae7c1073717caf.jpeg
”WOOF!”
Bruno was excited to see me; he missed his former master (and bitter enemy). However, I had no time to play. I ducked inside the shed and chased him off with a rock.

29002401-1DD4-40B3-BE33-140E60DE1C26.thumb.jpeg.415a4cd51c9d87a8f767753414337bb6.jpegGo fetch!

I turned around, to find...FD08DBB4-CA8C-4685-ACDD-0F8EF3319697.thumb.jpeg.78ef30d72d20041165fa3fb8aa79fb73.jpegIä, Cthulhu!
The Heavy Hammer, just sitting smugly on the workbench! Elated, I grabbed it, checked the drawers (nothing), and went around back of the house. I grabbed the key, the rope, whetstone, and chunks of cedar firewood that I found there, then picked rosehips and (as usual) ended up slamming the door in a furry face.

The first thing I saw upon entering was a pile of clothing on the couch!CC97F1B9-4760-4366-B21A-89D4D82AEB60.thumb.jpeg.b217dab926b6da7b038a7d182a0cb3e2.jpegToo bad i cant wear it... but at least I can harvest it for cloth. A quick search of the kitchen revealed two cooking pots and a second box of matches! I realized that it was still cold in the house, so I ate a piece of rabbit meat and slept for two hours.

Afterwards, I sallied forth to the nearby rabbit grove, bagging two bunnies. As I had plenty of matches to spare, I decided to light a fire and defrost the deer carcass. However, Rufus noticed me, and, in his eagerness to greet me, impales himself upon the corpse’s antlers.B4AD35B9-76A9-41AA-80EC-99F151BCC8BE.thumb.jpeg.51cacf14a3ae459b52ae35e55a4ef815.jpegOuch...

I took the meat, hide, and a single gut off the deer before the wind blew it out late in the evening. Warmed by hot rose hip tea, I returned to the house, ate some steaks, and slept for ten hours; a perfect end to a perfect day.

9BD8E3AB-56BB-4EC2-B402-D825C05C4633.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Just now, conanjaguar said:

Native 4 / Day 2 / In favor of the Ancients

I awoke rather late in the morning, hungry and dehydrated, but with over 90% condition. Taking stock of my inventory, I decided to leave my rabbit pelts and guts to cure before my grim totem.40FBA80F-F3B1-47E8-91E9-B3903D22012A.thumb.jpeg.e5859748ad8a25d10937e92630500446.jpeg(Sorry if you cant really see them..)

I poked my head outside, to find that it was a blizzard! Perfect weather to go to Paradise Meadows! Taking the opportunity for some wolf-free travel, I quickly crossed the street to go over the bank, where I found nothing of use.

By the time I emerged from the bank, the blizzard had ceased. A heavy fog covered the ground and obscured the sky; a few fat snowflakes lazily drifted down from above. The temperature was a bracing -18C. Torch in hand, I checked the houses leading up to Paradise Meadows... finding nothing of interest, as usual.

By the time I reached the farm, the temperature had warmed up to about -10C. I had almost reached the shed when I heard the familiar voice.9F978281-B6B8-43BD-AAE6-D5F0197FAD54.thumb.jpeg.f7425f940c8b6229f3ae7c1073717caf.jpeg
”WOOF!”
Bruno was excited to see me; he missed his former master (and bitter enemy). However, I had no time to play. I ducked inside the shed and chased him off with a rock.

29002401-1DD4-40B3-BE33-140E60DE1C26.thumb.jpeg.415a4cd51c9d87a8f767753414337bb6.jpegGo fetch!

I turned around, to find...FD08DBB4-CA8C-4685-ACDD-0F8EF3319697.thumb.jpeg.78ef30d72d20041165fa3fb8aa79fb73.jpegIä, Cthulhu!
The Heavy Hammer, just sitting smugly on the workbench! Elated, I grabbed it, checked the drawers (nothing), and went around back of the house. I grabbed the key, the rope, whetstone, and chunks of cedar firewood that I found there, then picked rosehips and (as usual) ended up slamming the door in a furry face.

The first thing I saw upon entering was a pile of clothing on the couch!CC97F1B9-4760-4366-B21A-89D4D82AEB60.thumb.jpeg.b217dab926b6da7b038a7d182a0cb3e2.jpegToo bad i cant wear it... but at least I can harvest it for cloth. A quick search of the kitchen revealed two cooking pots and a second box of matches! I realized that it was still cold in the house, so I ate a piece of rabbit meat and slept for two hours.

Afterwards, I sallied forth to the nearby rabbit grove, bagging two bunnies. As I had plenty of matches to spare, I decided to light a fire and defrost the deer carcass. However, Rufus noticed me, and, in his eagerness to greet me, impales himself upon the corpse’s antlers.B4AD35B9-76A9-41AA-80EC-99F151BCC8BE.thumb.jpeg.51cacf14a3ae459b52ae35e55a4ef815.jpegOuch...

I took the meat, hide, and a single gut off the deer before the wind blew it out late in the evening. Warmed by hot rose hip tea, I returned to the house, ate some steaks, and slept for ten hours; a perfect end to a perfect day.

9BD8E3AB-56BB-4EC2-B402-D825C05C4633.jpeg

Yay! You got the hammer..  that'll come in handy for bludgeoning Rufus and his chums...👍🙂.    

Odd to find two lots of clothes on that sofa though.. I don't think I've ever had any clothes on it on pilgrim.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

and (as usual) ended up slamming the door in a furry face.

Out of every fabulous word you wrote this bit stood out for some reason and made me laugh out loud! There might have even been a snort in there too... but sssh, don't tell anyone...

What a day! I bet you're still buzzing from finding the hammer. Just make sure you don't drop it on your foot, you aren't wearing the work boots.

May this day be an omen for the rest of your stay in Milton!

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Odd to find two lots of clothes on that sofa though.. I don't think I've ever had any clothes on it on pilgrim.  

I've often found a single piece but never two, on any difficulty except Loper which I've never played.

Mind you, these kinds of odd occurrences we will take happily! Makes a change from rearing bears and skating wolves.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:05 PM, conanjaguar said:

Native 3 / Day 5

Okay, why am I alive right now? How am I alive right now? Why have I been deemed deserving by the RNG gods to continue this run? Truly, this is a secret of the Universe that demands explanation.

Close calls are the best calls

• Upvote 1

If all goes according to plan, I should be able to get in a session today.

EDIT: Aaargghh!!! Dead again, dead DEAD DEAD!!!
<proceeds to pull keys out of keyboard one by one>

Next up: Native 5... after I calm down and write up what actually happened 💀.

Edited by conanjaguar
Raging and cursing 🤬 😤
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Oh no!!!!! I thought your cave painting honouring the Ancients would appease them!

Gutted for you mate. And I hope you have made it up with your keyboard.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

No!!! You were doing so well too.....  Murphy at it again.. 

That's rotten luck but don't give up...  Show 'em who's boss👍🙂

On 9/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, conanjaguar said:

On 9/21/2022 at 7:31 PM, Drifter Man said:

That's actually @BareSkin's term, I only borrowed it :)

Borrowing the borrowed term...

First time I wrote this, in my mind it was already "copylefted". This is a very little contribution compared to the great time I spend reading your stories. Nearly as good as a WW&S WIC bargain!

• Like 1