Return of The Ancients - my attempts at the Neo-Native challenge

conanjaguar

Interloper / Native 1
All righty, it’s time to start this challenge, the Return of The Ancients, as I call it. First of all, we need a plan. A good, solid plan. A bit of luck wouldn’t hurt, either.

So, here’s the plan. It will disintegrate upon first contact with the enemy, but it never hurts. A good plan now will save a lot of improvisation later.
Forlorn Muskeg spawn, grab matches, hit Trapper’s for Hammer ASAP. Loot entire region for scrap metal whilst hopping bunnies and living the Hotzn Way. I had considered hitting Milton for a hacksaw, but that will serve only for extra scrap and is probably not worth it.

By Day 7, we should have all scrap metal gathered from ML and be ready to go over to Spence to forge. Allowing for weather conditions, we should have a hatchet/knife and a few arrowheads by Day 10 at the latest. Then, we chop down the four Birch saplings behind Trapper’s, for a yield of 12 arrow shafts. Hopefully this will be enough for the task at hand: each arrow has three shots in it, for a total of 36 effective hits... assuming that I have godlike accuracy, which I do not. 

We shall assume each bear takes six hits to go down, and each moose, 12. By killing the four bears that we need to kill, that can be found in the ‘Keg, in front of Trappers, in Coastal Highway, and in Pleasant Valley, all nearby regions, we will have used up 24 of our shots, leaving just enough to maybe kill a moose, if I have not shot anything else.

Assuming that I kill the animals as soon as I see them, I should have all four bearskins curing by Day 30, at the very latest.

However, there is an alternative. Should we go to Ash Canyon, we can find an already-made Bearskin Coat. While this would save some time and arrows, it is a perilous journey to a region that I do not know at all. The same goes for HRV.

The moose will present a bit more of a problem. We know some places where it can spawn: in Forlorn Muskeg, to the left of the Broken Railroad entrance, and possibly on Marsh Ridge (if I ever find it), in the Milton Basin (again, if I ever find it), in Desolation Point, and on Coastal Highway. However, since I am playing, there is a 99% chance that it will spawn either on the opposite side of the map, or in my face after I have expended my last arrow. Neither will be good.

Of course, we can find both moose and bears on Timberwolf Mountain, which makes it a prime region to hunt in during the mid game, assuming we can’t find our target animals anywhere else. Allowing for all options, setbacks, one-shot kills, blizzards, wolf attacks, etc. etc, etc. etc. etc., the moose should be bagged and curing by Day 40, at the latest.

From there, it will be a mad rush to assemble all the needed pelts, guts, and cloth in Trapper’s, and make all the needed clothing without contracting Cabin Fever.

I would like to conclude this with a few notes on the usefulness and utility of “Old World” items.

• Lanterns: A waste of time. If found, harvest immediately for scrap.
  • Cooking Pots: If needed, I can harvest them for additional scrap, but they will make cooking meat faster, a good thing when time is of the essence and firewood is limited to sticks and coal.
  • Tea and Coffee: I will leave them where I found them. Crafted teas are going to be a godsend; since I am disqualified by any affliction, I can carry them around just for the warmth bonus. Again, time is of the essence, and hot tea will help me travel farther, without having to stop and light a fire.
  • Hacksaw/Prybar: Useless, harvest for scrap immediately.
  • Hammer: Use for forging only.
  • Clothes: Bring to a central location for harvesting.

Since no plan survives first contact with the enemy, you may have gathered that I have not yet made contact with the enemy. Native 1 will begin his sojourn tomorrow, September 1st, as per the challenge conditions.

Wish me luck!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Interloper / Native 1
All righty, it’s time to start this challenge, the Return of The Ancients, as I call it. First of all, we need a plan. A good, solid plan. A bit of luck wouldn’t hurt, either.

So, here’s the plan. It will disintegrate upon first contact with the enemy, but it never hurts. A good plan now will save a lot of improvisation later.
Forlorn Muskeg spawn, grab matches, hit Trapper’s for Hammer ASAP. Loot entire region for scrap metal whilst hopping bunnies and living the Hotzn Way. I had considered hitting Milton for a hacksaw, but that will serve only for extra scrap and is probably not worth it.

By Day 7, we should have all scrap metal gathered from ML and be ready to go over to Spence to forge. Allowing for weather conditions, we should have a hatchet/knife and a few arrowheads by Day 10 at the latest. Then, we chop down the four Birch saplings behind Trapper’s, for a yield of 12 arrow shafts. Hopefully this will be enough for the task at hand: each arrow has three shots in it, for a total of 36 effective hits... assuming that I have godlike accuracy, which I do not. 

We shall assume each bear takes six hits to go down, and each moose, 12. By killing the four bears that we need to kill, that can be found in the ‘Keg, in front of Trappers, in Coastal Highway, and in Pleasant Valley, all nearby regions, we will have used up 24 of our shots, leaving just enough to maybe kill a moose, if I have not shot anything else.

Assuming that I kill the animals as soon as I see them, I should have all four bearskins curing by Day 30, at the very latest.

However, there is an alternative. Should we go to Ash Canyon, we can find an already-made Bearskin Coat. While this would save some time and arrows, it is a perilous journey to a region that I do not know at all. The same goes for HRV.

The moose will present a bit more of a problem. We know some places where it can spawn: in Forlorn Muskeg, to the left of the Broken Railroad entrance, and possibly on Marsh Ridge (if I ever find it), in the Milton Basin (again, if I ever find it), in Desolation Point, and on Coastal Highway. However, since I am playing, there is a 99% chance that it will spawn either on the opposite side of the map, or in my face after I have expended my last arrow. Neither will be good.

Of course, we can find both moose and bears on Timberwolf Mountain, which makes it a prime region to hunt in during the mid game, assuming we can’t find our target animals anywhere else. Allowing for all options, setbacks, one-shot kills, blizzards, wolf attacks, etc. etc, etc. etc. etc., the moose should be bagged and curing by Day 40, at the latest.

From there, it will be a mad rush to assemble all the needed pelts, guts, and cloth in Trapper’s, and make all the needed clothing without contracting Cabin Fever.

I would like to conclude this with a few notes on the usefulness and utility of “Old World” items.

• Lanterns: A waste of time. If found, harvest immediately for scrap.
  • Cooking Pots: If needed, I can harvest them for additional scrap, but they will make cooking meat faster, a good thing when time is of the essence and firewood is limited to sticks and coal.
  • Tea and Coffee: I will leave them where I found them. Crafted teas are going to be a godsend; since I am disqualified by any affliction, I can carry them around just for the warmth bonus. Again, time is of the essence, and hot tea will help me travel farther, without having to stop and light a fire.
  • Hacksaw/Prybar: Useless, harvest for scrap immediately.
  • Hammer: Use for forging only.
  • Clothes: Bring to a central location for harvesting.

Since no plan survives first contact with the enemy, you may have gathered that I have not yet made contact with the enemy. Native 1 will begin his sojourn tomorrow, September 1st, as per the challenge conditions.

Wish me luck!

Hello there survivor !

I assume that You chose Interloper or did you spiced it up a bit and went beyond on custom?

A rush for tools and bow is always the thing to go imo but before i go forge i would pick up the flare gun for lower ravine if you find the rope in the train car. Dont hesitate to use it - when the flares go 0% they will be usless. Before forging i would also pick up birch and maple in ML so it cures before i go forging thus when i get back its done. This way you could have bow and arrows on day 10 otherwise day 12-14.

Bears take 2 arrow shots max rarely 3 ofc if you hit the head -  dont try to hit the bear while hes going sideways always make him go towards you and dont be affraid if it starts to charge after 1st hit. Stand ur ground and shoot again as he charges you. Remember to get distance on 1st shot. 

Moose very similar - 2-3 shots max. usually goes down on shot one in the eye. Moose you can shot from the side, then dinish him while he makes the charging animation - it takes him forever to do it so a lot of time for even 2 shots. Easy.

I would not count on the Bearskin coat in AC - on all my runs i never got it on interloper. You should go to AC for the backpack tho and return via summit. I always dop that when i crafted tools and weapon. On the road to TWM i would most def loot the plane crash in PV for clothing - we need that thermal underwear and wool socks and sweaters.

I would also leave the moose for later - dont look for it. eventually you will run into him later.Getting backpack is a better option and while doing it you can meet a moose.

One lantern on me is a must when i play. Fully fueled.

Finally - what is the end game goal of the challenge?

Good luck survivor !

@James Hickok

I chose standard ‘Loper, because I want to try and get some feats during this challenge.

I would like to get the flare gun, but it is forbidden by the challenge rules, as are all other “modern” items.

6 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Bears take 2 arrow shots max rarely 3 ofc if you hit the head -  dont try to hit the bear while hes going sideways always make him go towards you and dont be affraid if it starts to charge after 1st hit. Stand ur ground and shoot again as he charges you. Remember to get distance on 1st shot. 

Moose very similar - 2-3 shots max. usually goes down on shot one in the eye. Moose you can shot from the side, then dinish him while he makes the charging animation - it takes him forever to do it so a lot of time for even 2 shots. Easy.

While this is easy in theory, I have always been a terrible marksman. With no experience with a bow at all!

I would not count on the Bearskin coat in AC - on all my runs i never got it on interloper. You should go to AC for the backpack tho and return via summit. I always dop that when i crafted tools and weapon. On the road to TWM i would most def loot the plane crash in PV for clothing - we need that thermal underwear and wool socks and sweaters.

I’m fairly certain that the backpack is disallowed. Besides, I plan to travel light, so I don’t expect to need it. 
Just because we need the stuff from the crash sites doesn’t mean it’s allowed... cattails and rabbits are going to be my main food early in this run.

Finally - what is the end game goal of the challenge?

The end game goal is to live for 50 days without suffering any afflictions or using any modern items, while crafting (at least) a Bear coat and Moose Satchel, and then sleeping for an hour in a Bearskin bedroll without losing any condition.

Simple, right? We shall see.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Leeanda said:

What about flares? Are they allowed or will it just be torches as self defence against Rufus and his chums?

It will be just torches and rocks, and the bow when I get around to it. During my eight experimental runs, I became quite adept at bopping a charging wolf on the snout.

However, I think that the best strategy will be to avoid them.

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda

Luck accepted!

Native 1/ Preface:

Even though I am extremely impatient, I calmly managed to sit through ten(!) HRV starts, and then quit them. After the twelfth new start dropped me in Ash Canyon, I became annoyed. Very annoyed. So... Custom ‘Loper, Forlorn Muskeg spawn, at noon in clear weather. The feats will just have to wait.

I will indulge in a bit of vainglory here. I wish to become as renowned as @Drifter ManI want my name whispered around campfires. I want the very trees to shake and tremble in fear at the first sign my approach.
Perhaps the first step to become as famous as @Drifter Man is to use his format.

Native 1 / Day 1
All right, where am I? Ah, yes. The mushroom grove, just to the right of the Broken Railroad entrance. After shedding all my garments save for a loincloth, I picked some of the mushrooms, thought about checking the train wreck, and decided against it; the short goat down offered a guaranteed sprain. So, after picking up a few sticks, I elected to head to Spence’s. However, Smokey was on the ice, and I did not wish to anger him. So, I picked a few cattails and stones while waiting for him to turn the other way.

After he did so, I dashed across the thin ice to another patch of snow Admittedly, I fell through just as I touched the opposite shore, but I was already freezing and had no clothes to get soaked, so it was water off a Native’s back. Spence’s was reached without further difficulties, as I picked rose hips, Reishi mushrooms and gathered sticks.

After reaching Spence’s (noting that the deer had spawned again, as I had decided against a Kegstand), I took the lantern for extra scrap, some lantern fuel (which is allowed), and a parka and pair of wool socks for extra cloth. Using the lantern fuel as accelerant, the first match of the run was not wasted, and soon a roaring fire was going in the forge. I boiled some water while preparing teabags. Only now do I smack myself in the forehead for forgetting to pick the Reishi mushrooms in the backyard of Spence’s. Oh well, can’t be helped I suppose.

After warming up and boiling a liter of water, I set out into the setting sun for Trapper’s. Unfortunately, I again fell through thin ice (which put out my torch) and wasted a match by clicking one nanometer to the right of a cattail’s “interact” box.

At the entrance to Mystery Lake, I prepared and gulped two cups of hot tea, pulled some torches, and continued on to Trapper’s, through the rising wind and snow. It was evident that a blizzard was coming... and I was exhausted, as us usual.

Fortunately, the wildlife was either asleep or gone away for the weekend, and I was able to get to Trapper’s without further consequences... except that the wind blew out my torch as I reached the doorstep! Grumbling at Murphy again, I entered Trapper’s, made a beeline for the stove, and lit it up with the last of the lamp oil, putting some birch bark and Reishi tea on to cook.

In the flickering firelight, I observed that there was no hammer! However, there was a hacksaw and another lamp, which I harvested. After a supper composing of cattails washed down with Birchbark tea, our Native hit the sack.

Now, I had taken screenshots, but, due to “sibling rivalry”, I did not have enough time to go through and take pictures of them. So, you’ll just have to take my word for it.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, mfuegemann said:

Sorry, I am starting to take in the full extent of Your run: NO modern gear/food at all. 
How about the afflictions? Will frostbite or hypothermia end the run too? And You will count negative afflictions only?

Suffering any afflictions, including burns, hypothermia, frostbite, and sprains will disqualify this run. However, warming up and being well fed do not count as afflictions for this purpose. 

See the full challenge rules here:

https://tinyurl.com/Neo-Native

34 minutes ago, mfuegemann said:

Hi,
will the use of a sewing kit be allowed or will You craft fishing gear instead?

Good luck!

And thank you for reminding me about the fishing tackles! I will need to make a few in order to make any clothing whatsoever, because, yes, sewing kits are disallowed.

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It's a nogoa with attitude🙂.  

Not quite NOGOA, this is challenging in a different way.

10 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

I want the very trees to shake and tremble in fear at the first sign my approach.

You might be disappointed, but I've never noticed anything strange about trees when walking by :D

A few notes about bears... there always are two bears in FM - one that Native 1 has already met and another at Poacher's camp. ML has 4 bear spawns that I know of, although only 2-3 are active on any given run (usually two, I believe). CH has three bears and so far I've always seen all three in all runs. So, there are plenty of bear skins for your Native to claim!

Native 1 / Day 2

I awoke late in the morning in around 60% condition, and headed out the door. The weather was clear but cold, flt -28C or so. I decided that it was too late in the day to travel, and went to harvest the deer carcass in the shed. After lighting up a fire and waiting for it to thaw, I decided to head over to the nearby rabbit grove and bop some bunnies. Wabbit season is open! 

After bopping both bunnies, I turned around to head back to the deer, when I heard snuffling and snorting. 732168FB-1B86-4E60-BF16-BBBFA89982DF.thumb.jpeg.ee013ec35610be14cedfd5942b91c9a5.jpegOH NO!!!
The resident Freight Train of Hate & Hunger  was coming through the only entrance, and I was boxed in by steep slopes on all sides! Deciding to risk a sprain rather than be immediately disqualified (not to mention killed!) by the bear, I clambered up the rocky outcropping and just barely slipped past the bear, dropping down with no sprains.

I then returned to my deer, harvesting the meat and hide off it while doing the same with the rabbits. However, the wind blew out my fire, and it was late in the day, so I wisely returned to the cabin, made water while harvesting the hacksaw, ate some cattails, and so to bed.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:29 PM, conanjaguar said:

Suffering any afflictions, including burns, hypothermia, frostbite, and sprains will disqualify this run. However, warming up and being well fed do not count as afflictions for this purpose. 

See the full challenge rules here:

https://tinyurl.com/Neo-Native

I've added "without afflictions at the end of the challenge" to clarify that you can get any and all afflictions during the challenge, but at the end of the challenge, they must be healed (the Status screen must show a clean bill of health). So only a few afflictions will end a run prematurely. Frostbite is permanent, and getting Parasites or Broken Ribs very close to day 50 could also be impossible to heal in time.  But apart from that, afflictions work like in normal Survival runs: you get them, you heal them, and then you continue surviving. 👍

I posted this challenge before summer vacations and I practiced it a few hours before Sep 1. I think many will find it a big step up in difficulty. If you couldn't practice before Sep 1, you could practice a little bit on a lower difficulty, then start on the difficulty you want to submit a run for.

@Gun Tech.

That’s a huge relief! Now I know that there is at least some margin for error.

Native 1 / Day 3... with pictures!

I awoke before dawn, to a light fog and cold temperatures. I went outside, lit a quick fire, and pulled ten or so torches from it before continuing on my way.

The journey to the Camp Office was uneventful. The world was quiet, and the wildlife had not yet awoken. I watched the silent beauty of the snowflakes gently falling, and I knew that the world could not have chosen a better way to end.

Arriving at the Camp Office, I greeted the Prince of the Forest on behalf of @ManicManiac, picked rose hips, and entered. A quick search of the building turned up some lamp fuel, a whetstone (which I took, just in case it is allowed), and... the bedroll, which I discovered while making a quick fire upstairs. A cooking pot was the last notable find; I’m still debating whether or not to harvest it for scrap as I wrote this. 

After drinking some hot tea, I set out once more, this time for the Dam. I stopped off about halfway to the Derailment to light a quick fire and bop the bunnies in the nearby rabbit grove. After doing what must be done, I pulled a few torches and continued on my way.

As I arrived at the Derailment, Rusty decided to get pushy with selling his insurance policies. FA5427A4-CA0E-4070-81D2-E5018F4A6B0A.thumb.jpeg.b388bfe6aa297b47334782f1a4448a27.jpegE0DBDCBB-01B3-4AE2-8823-172593A70C28.thumb.jpeg.608f6bc93696693d64b9f009f4290428.jpeg10279E79-5258-4CD2-9F37-15F18C079262.thumb.jpeg.fd680a24059e4d964b98e6fa4c23c46f.jpeg
“Excuse me sir, would you be interested in-“ 
I ducked inside the boxcar, sending him on his way. Boxcar Bob had a piece of scrap metal and a can opener (effectively, just another piece of scrap metal) for me. I thanked him and continued on my way, getting feathers from around the nearby corpses.

Rusty had set his next ambush nearby the tram car.4E2BE8D6-6B0D-4177-9C38-763ED5966589.thumb.jpeg.44a0be5ca74272d01c7eecf8f3726db3.jpeg “Excuse me sir, would you be interested in-“
I pounded my hairy caveman chest and roared, sending him scurrying off once again, and continued on my way to the Dam.

At the Dam, Rusty made his final offer as I was picking Reishi Mushrooms. FF21D8C8-B880-4876-9B26-98C4604EEC50.thumb.jpeg.8367eef01e39292e7110d082bd4307eb.jpeg“Excuse me sir, would you be interested in-“ I slammed the gate in his face and continued into the Dam... to realize that my condition was red!!! Cold, hunger, and exhaustion were doing me in.

My condition drained before my eyes as I plodded to the trailers, somehow avoiding Rusty and his wolfbite insurance contracts. Eating cattails and drinking the last of my water, I hit the sack for 10 hours (not the bedroll) in the closest trailer. 

Edited by conanjaguar
Picture juggling... a lovely pastime indeed, especially when you must do it not once, nor twice, but thrice!
  • Upvote 6

Native 1 / Day 4

I awoke around three in the morning, and passed the time by harvesting modern items and preparing Reishi mushrooms, also takin a quick nap.

I exited the trailer and lit up a torch. Thankfully, Rusty was not around, so I was free to get to the Dam free of interruptions. As usual, the Dam was empty, but there is always the tantalizing feeling that there must be some goodies around. My torches died out in an effort to Kindle the fire barrel, so I used another match, leaving me with a total of five. However, it was worth it. On a workbench in the Lower Dam, I found the Hammer!91905972-23DF-4CB2-B94E-15B5BDDC1BE5.thumb.jpeg.f956f67acaab160a78814be15202a99c.jpegMaking my way out of the Dam took most of the day; that place is a temporal sinkhole! By the time I reached the gate, my condition was again very low from hunger and exhaustion. As I stumbled into the trailer, I heard the characteristic “charging wolf” sound that they make. Rusty had immediately entered a charge stance, without any warning! Fortunately, I was able to slam the door in his face, ate cattails, and slept for 10 hours.

Native 1 / Day 5

As soon as I opened the trailer door, I was greeted by Rusty. “Excuse me sir, would you be interested in-“ Thankfully, I had my torch lit and a rock ready, having anticipated this in advance, so I lived... for now. After driving Rusty off again, the road was clear.F70B3ECD-B219-4C60-A96D-1D8EC777EFDA.thumb.jpeg.dfbb6002d9d1a557921b74527a83d8d3.jpeg

I made my way to the Camp Office without further interruptions. However, once I got there, the Prince of the Forest was extremely happy to see me :D.5FF46B70-C632-41D2-88F3-A8D5BDB992D7.thumb.jpeg.7fa70831eb9cc476ca43425282ffb737.jpegI dread the day when deer will have their own hitboxes and be able to trample us.

I then went down to the lake to gather cattails until my health grew red once again, taking a picture of the overcast sky before going inside and boiling water, then harvesting the pot, and then going to bed.F1221E0E-432E-4FB0-8CE1-60C70C42292A.thumb.jpeg.e7f4074763b2b950aa89cc0c8fb993a3.jpeg

Native 1 / Day 6... the last day

I awoke with 33% condition and set out for Trappers’. As the weather was nicer there were no wolves in sight, and I had only four matches left, I elected NOT to torch-walk. Oh, what a mistake. 

The ball began to roll when I wasted two matches by misclicking on a stick! RELOAD!
I awoke with 33% condition and set out for Trappers’. As the weather was nicer there were no wolves in sight, and I had only four matches left, I elected NOT to torch-walk. Oh, what a mistake. 

This time, I did not waste any matches, and, with the pieces of birch bark and coal (which seems to respawn) that I picked up on the way to Trapper’s, I was feeling pretty cocky, and, ignoring my plummeting condition, I went out back to bop bunnies. By the time the second one’s neck was snapped, my condition was red... again! So, I returned to the cabin, ate a piece of deer meat straight off the snow, and then found myself staring into two baleful yellow eyes. Those eyes were attached to a skull, which was attached to the teeth that were soon attached in my throat.

Rusty finally won. He sold his insurance. But, the policy is now void, due to the termination of the recipient.

Native 2

KIA en route to Trapper’s. Cause of death: silent wolf and wind.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

It is always sad to read about Rusty invoking Clause 15.4.

Indeed it is:

...At any time, should the survivor eat a piece of venison directly off the ground, and less than 50% (in calories) of the supply is left for the agent, then the both policy and the survivor shall be terminated.

Interloper / Native 3 / Day 1

Forlorn Muskeg spawn again. I grabbed a few Reishi Mushrooms and sticks from the spawn area (dropping all the clothes in a neat pile), and made my way to Spence, picking cattails and avoiding the local wolves. Fortunately for me, Smokey was nowhere in sight.

A wolf followed me to the Homestead, but I took refuge in the loft and it fled. Taking the matches and the coal, I went to harvest the nearby deer carcass. 70065DAC-73BC-4FC6-BCD1-67DC73F701B0.thumb.jpeg.af75fc8683bb72c23b4cd9b8c453888e.jpegA thick fog had descended over the ‘Keg, and I harvested cattails and rose hips while the carcass thawed. I took everything: the 1.5 kilos of meat, the hide, and the guts. 

After this task was finished, there was plenty of time left in the day, so I pulled torches… and extinguished the best one as I walked to the Homestead. By the time I got to the forge, I was smacking myself on the forehead. The fire at the carcass had gone out as well, so I used my second match of the day to get the forge going, boiling water and preparing mushrooms until nighttime. I then piled sticks and coal on the fire (please take my word for it that I didn’t use any reclaimed wood. I’ll attach a screenshot of the (intact) crates when/if I get back to forge.) and went to bed.

Native 1 / Day 2

I awoke to an aurora sunrise, with 43 minutes left on the forge; just enough time to prepare and gulp two hot cups of Reishi Tea before setting out. D587A485-BDCB-4FF9-B435-35B5A2467C89.thumb.jpeg.3d44413a0bc6454157e261558a88212f.jpegThe wind blew out my torch as soon as I stepped outside, but at least it was at my back the entire time.

I took the long route to Mystery Lake, hugging the shoreline as much as possible while picking cattails. The Bunkhouses yielded a hacksaw, which I took for scrap. A wolf followed me most of the way to the Poacher’s Camp, but my rock-chucking skills saved me. With a severely bruised snout, it eventually gave up.

I was freezing by the time I arrived at the Poacher’s Camp, so I elected to light up the fire barrel to cook and gulp two more cups of tea. As I was chugging down my first cup, I noticed the footprints outside the trim car. With my second cup, I heard the snuffling and wheezing. F1A30AB1-266C-4A6C-872A-F7A009CB8F0D.thumb.jpeg.4fa9ffbf00f091842ff1d472d533f492.jpeg

The Bear was. Right. Outside.
 Taking a torch from the fire barrel, I waited for the beast to go away before I dashed outside and broke into a dead run, after getting the scrap metal, of course. I don’t know if the bear followed me or not, because I was too busy picking cattails… not very good practice.

By the time I reached Mystery Lake, I was (as usual) exhausted and cold. Making my way to Trappers, I gathered enough Birch Bark to make two teas, as well as checking the train crash; just a few odd items.

When I reached Trapper’s, it was almost dark. The first thing I took not of was what was on the workbench... or rather, what was not on the workbench. No hammer!

Fuming at my luck, I cooked and drank two cups of birch tea and hit the sack.

Edited by conanjaguar
Dare I say it? Okay, I’ll say it... potatoes
  • Upvote 5

On 9/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, James Hickok said:

Before forging i would also pick up birch and maple in ML so it cures before i go forging thus when i get back its done. This way you could have bow and arrows on day 10 otherwise day 12-14.

Lately (Interloper), I had the birch and mapple cured before going to the forge thinking this time I won't have such a dodgy return ha !. Crafted the tools and arrows tips, now to the work bench ... to realize I forgot the take the cured guts to make the bow 😭😭😭

• Like 1