Items to add for use during the Aurora

Semple Fi

This may be a repeat request for the wish list but as of yet I haven’t seen it…..

It would be super handy to be able to use the electric griddles during the Aurora.  Like the one in the maintenance shed in BR.  It would save wood and matches, important in interloper anyway….

What other ideas/requests for Aurora specific interfaces are you guys looking for?

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Microwave 😊. And some popcorn to go with it. 

Car heaters  too if they'd work?

How did I forget about the microwave?? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Good call. 

I think the car heater would have to fall into the “running vehicle” category… which would be cool… We have the Jerry cans, so why not?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

How did I forget about the microwave?? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Good call. 

I think the car heater would have to fall into the “running vehicle” category… which would be cool… We have the Jerry cans, so why not?

Running over timberwolves with a truck might be fun but not quite in keeping with the game🙂 

I was going to say toasters but without bread  or pop tarts what would they be used for?🙂

If we had pancake mixes, a griddle would be awesome! (Well, a griddle would be awesome regardless lol.)

- What if Sewing Machines were added around the map? They would repair clothes quicker and more efficiently. 

- Electric tools. The only tool I can think of that'd be useful is a chainsaw for anybody who wants to quickly cut down limbs in the middle of the night, though. 

• Upvote 1

Flashlight

Rework the flashlight that as long as the aurora effects were active the normal mode of the flashlight has no time (e.g., capacity) limitation.  If the aurora goes all night, the flashlight, once turned on, will go all night.  Each time the flashlight is turned on (during the aurora), it has a condition loss of 1%.

For the alternate "high power" mode, now "capacity" counts but represents the flashlight overheating until it cuts out (when 'capacity' is exhausted) and the 'recharge' represents the flashlight cooling off. This is more stressful to the flashlight so each time "high power" is triggered it costs 5% of condition. 

This would give a reason to repair the flashlight and keep it in good repair, if one is so inclined.  

Hand-held electric arc fire starter

A battery (now aurora) powered device that uses an electric arc to start a fire/start a torch.  The device can be used, only during an aurora, repeatedly at a condition cost of 2% per use.  It can be used as kind of momentary lighting device because the short-term arc can provide a spark of light similar to the electronic igniter of the storm lantern.  It can be repaired with a tool kit and a scrap metal. 

An alternate repurposing of the device could be a crafting one-way modification that turns it into a more brilliant device that by the over-the-top electric arc it can fend off/chase off (at least for a while) aurora wolves maybe a bit more reliably than the Flashlight.  Each use whether successful or not reduces the modified device's condition by 5% and it is not repairable.  It can still light fires though at the modification's condition cost.  

Device indicator lights

An electrical device, such as microwave, hot plate, coffee maker, etc., has a (random) chance to exhibit glowing or flashing indicators though the device would not be operable.  More problematic due to the extensive number of such device in the game world, but it would certainly be 'entertaining' to be thinking, "come on, I got this tin of coffee and a liter of water and I really could use a couple cups of java" while staring at a coffee maker that shows many signs of being functional (but is not).   🙂

What would be wild, if highly unlikely to be implemented, would be the extremely rare device that actually does work.  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Pencil said:

If we had pancake mixes, a griddle would be awesome! (Well, a griddle would be awesome regardless lol.)

- What if Sewing Machines were added around the map? They would repair clothes quicker and more efficiently. 

- Electric tools. The only tool I can think of that'd be useful is a chainsaw for anybody who wants to quickly cut down limbs in the middle of the night, though. 

Responding to @Pencil and @Leeanda;

the fact that we have maple syrup and no pancakes or waffle mix is a TRAVESTY!  Perhaps the mix could be added.  Or just add frozen waffles, I mean, everything IS frozen already……

• Upvote 1

Just now, Semple Fi said:

Responding to @Pencil and @Leeanda;

the fact that we have maple syrup and no pancakes or waffle mix is a TRAVESTY!  Perhaps the mix could be added.  Or just add frozen waffles, I mean, everything IS frozen already……

Food and recipe dlc?  Pancakes included of course! 😊

How about a shaver,I'm sure both of them need to shave😁

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Food and recipe dlc?  Pancakes included of course! 😊

How about a shaver,I'm sure both of them need to shave😁

I’m still laughing about the shaver idea 🤣😂

The DLC idea could be legit though….

Speaking of the microwave and griddle though, super useful for cooking meat or boiling water in a pinch, but the microwave would blow up if you nuke a metal can. 
Could do the non potable plastic water bottle?

Interaction with the griddle with pancakes would be awesome though, and I think you could use existing item combinations to make it happen. 
i.e. prepared granola bar and rosehips and water maybe?

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

Flashlight

Hand-held electric arc fire starter

Device indicator lights

I think those are all cool ideas!

I’ve wanted the flashlight to just operate anyway. 
The arc fire striker/handheld taser would make a great addition as well.  Lightweight and portable but only useful during the Aurora is a good balance. 

Lights on the microwave and coffee maker 🤔😎

Just now, Semple Fi said:

I’m still laughing about the shaver idea 🤣😂

The DLC idea could be legit though….

Speaking of the microwave and griddle though, super useful for cooking meat or boiling water in a pinch, but the microwave would blow up if you nuke a metal can. 
Could do the non potable plastic water bottle?

Interaction with the griddle with pancakes would be awesome though, and I think you could use existing item combinations to make it happen. 
i.e. prepared granola bar and rosehips and water maybe?

I bet Astrid has more hair on her legs than the bears do😁  

I've thought about putting lots of things in the microwave if they ever work. Everything from rabbits to tins😊. But brewing up a few teas would be great.. always wondered why there are no kettles anywhere but loads of coffee machines. 

Let's hope for a food pack dlc,maybe some new berries as natural resources, blueberry or snowberries?  Rosehip pancakes sound good😊

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I bet Astrid has more hair on her legs than the bears do😁  

I've thought about putting lots of things in the microwave if they ever work. Everything from rabbits to tins😊. But brewing up a few teas would be great.. always wondered why there are no kettles anywhere but loads of coffee machines. 

Let's hope for a food pack dlc,maybe some new berries as natural resources, blueberry or snowberries?  Rosehip pancakes sound good😊

Agreed 👍🏼👍🏼

• Upvote 1

Mini electric (aurora powered) forge.  😲

Don't care for the improvised knife or hatchet.  Want a lighter pot even if it is less durable?  Then the aurora-powered mini forge may be the thing for you!  

• Ruined your hatchet by being maybe too enthusiastic in its use and not paying attention? 

Cast a new hatchet head.    All it takes is ten scrap metal (twice what would be needed for an improvised hatchet), a few hours to melt and then cast, and *voila* a hatchet head that with some work to sharpen the edge (5 sharpening actions with a whet stone) can be fixed to a fir wood handle (separate crafting action) and a replacement hatchet has been born.  

• Ruined the hunting knife? 

Cast a new blade.   All it takes is five scrap metal a couple hours to melt, then some time with a whet stone to give the "blade" an edge, and a new hunting knife rises from the ashes.  

• Steel pot too heavy? Want to cut that down?  How about an aluminum pot that weighs half as much?

Dump ten cans into the maw of the forge, let the aurora do its magic for an hour, and cast an aluminum pot.  Unfortunately it take 1% damage from each use, 10% damage from being boiled dry or burning food, and cannot be repaired but it can be melted down along with five more cans to cast a new one. So what does a little  condition loss matter if you save 0.5 kg of precious weight.  

In all cases be sure to remove the cast item from the forge before the aurora ends or the melting and casting  action will have to be done again.  

Trying to lift or move the 30 kg mini electric forge may be strenuous and could cause back problems for which the Great Bear cottage industry will not be liable.  You were warned.  

More sophisticated devices can be created using our latest device plans with our state of the art electronic 3D printer.  Order your own 3D printer and start increasing your chances of survival NOW.  Contact our director, Raphel Van Lierop, Vancouver, BC, for purchasing details.  Prompt delivery expected but not guaranteed.  Supplies ordered separately and stable electrical power source not included.  Operation during the current aurora crisis voids warranty unless protected by a full faraday isolation enclosure.  

😁 🥞 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

A battery powered drone. Can be used to fly around and see what all is out there, without leaving the safety and comfort of your cave. Comes complete with a convenient auto-return feature if the battery reaches critical. (Drone unequips and returns to your inventory if the battery dies.)

• Upvote 2

Proto-Gauss Rifle

A clunky roughly rifle-shaped device bulging with capacitors, a controlling computer, and a battery pack.  Weighing about as much as the rifle.  Uses short pieces of steel rod which can be loaded into a plastic magazine.  

A mostly silent weapon, emitting soft clicks as each capacitor dumps its charge into the electromagnets that accelerate the steel projectile down the barrel. 

With the aurora supplying power, the device is capable of fairly rapid fire by rapidly pulling the trigger.  It is very capable of punching holes in a sheet of paper.

With all that fire-power and mediocre "accuracy" at 25 feet, this is just the thing to give a rabbit a fighting chance of surviving the attention of a hungry survivor.  😁

(As depicted on Forgotten Weapons or InRange, a while ago, I forget which )

Personally, i think being able to use the Microwave (Basically a fireless and faster stove) during an Aurora, it would be an interesting implementation for the game. Like a ¿Reverse magnifying glass?, an option to renewable fire during night. Not a game changing element, but a very situational usefull mechanic.

Also, i think you should be able to lit torchs with the sparks of the wires during an Aurora (They cause burn, so they should can ignite something..).

• Upvote 2

The thing to ask with items that work during the aroura is what do they do when the aroura isn't active. The flashlight is essentially a dead item 99.99% of the time and isn't very good when it is useful, which is why I don't like it. The radio is functional useless, but isn't an item. Which allows it to just be cool. Something like the gristle would make the game objectively easier, because wouldn't have an impact during the rest of the game.  I do think it would be cool if you could light torches on live wires.

Microwave to boil water in it.

Like RegentRelic said - ability to light torches from electric cables.

Nothing else really - nothing seems reasonable .The point is to survive without electricity. The fact that game has milling machine to repair tools with scrap is enough already.

The thing that i would like (not aurora powered) is:

Bear, wolf traps (craftable upon finding a mold for it / also found in the world)

Sledge for transporting big hauls for ex 100 kilo.

Ability to craft/build a workbench (would require a vice taken down from other work bench or crafted/repaired)

New animals (new craftable clothes from new furs like underpants , socks, and sweaters)

New fishing mechanics (to make it a mini game not only rng + new fish + lures from existing and new animals to catch diffrent types of fish and ability to make trophies out of the fish and other animals).

Maybe in the future - ability to buid own cabin - would require a ton of resources. + ability to move existing furniture.

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2022 at 3:24 PM, Leeanda said:

Maybe in a dlc?   While we're on the subject,why not televisions working too? Popcorn and a movie😊

Will we need vhs players too? Or will there be a random television signal sent from the towers? Try and catch up on your favorite serial… 

Now that I think of it, computers already work during the Aurora, could just surf the Internet.  Netflix 😂

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Will we need vhs players too? Or will there be a random television signal sent from the towers? Try and catch up on your favorite serial… 

Now that I think of it, computers already work during the Aurora, could just surf the Internet.  Netflix 😂

Judging by how old those TV's look I'm guessing you'd need a betamax not VHS😁.     

Netflix maybe.😊  But Perhaps you could play the long dark on the the long darkl. ?

• Like 1