Items to add for use during the Aurora

Semple Fi

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It's better than cards that's for sure.    Trouble is you could spend all night playing it when you need to sleep.. 🙂

But i think you’re on to something BIG; If I was going to make an official request for additional functional items during the Aurora @Admin, mini game on the computer during the Aurora.  Playing the long dark on the long dark!! Or Galaga…. Atari seems appropriate to the age of the towns. Or some old windows 95 games like mine sweeper!

Plus, the computers are already “programmed” from a developer standpoint?? Since we can take buffer memories from them.  

and popcorn for the microwave 🥲

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

But i think you’re on to something BIG; If I was going to make an official request for additional functional items during the Aurora @Admin, mini game on the computer during the Aurora.  Playing the long dark on the long dark!! Or Galaga…. Atari seems appropriate to the age of the towns. Or some old windows 95 games like mine sweeper!

Plus, the computers are already “programmed” from a developer standpoint?? Since we can take buffer memories from them.  

and popcorn for the microwave 🥲

Big double thumbs up from me👍👍

Computers working (more than they do now) during an Aurora could be decent. Could be a way to uncover not only more lore (such as happens now) but also crafting recipes, mapping aid, stuff like that. The computers could even be connected via a wireless mesh or ad hoc network... Complete with satellite links - since satellites would be in orbit, "above" the affect of the Event & thereby still fully functional...

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Kranium said:

Computers working (more than they do now) during an Aurora could be decent. Could be a way to uncover not only more lore (such as happens now) but also crafting recipes, mapping aid, stuff like that. The computers could even be connected via a wireless mesh or ad hoc network... Complete with satellite links - since satellites would be in orbit, "above" the affect of the Event & thereby still fully functional...

I love the idea of more lore/memories.  Could be an opportunity for an additional achievement that contributes to survival skills.  

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

An idea I see that could be brewing from the television idea is that some TVs work but are broken with static but special TVs have programs that are stuck on during the time the tv was on before the Event. These programs could be survival tips if the tv was on a survival show, cooking if a cooking show, or a location that you have not found, for example a commercial for the cabins at Mystery Lake and you can mark down that location on the map and region to unlock. A tv could give lore like the computers or a special tv can give you a hint for a new region. A tv, for example in cabin in CH, has a commercial telling the player about a scenic route (transition route) to a new region that high in the mountains. It could appear before the Auroa TV but it a see and you miss it entrance. This gives players a look of the entrance to the route before putting it on the map and it random set locations like the polaroids. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, trains342 said:

An idea I see that could be brewing from the television idea is that some TVs work but are broken with static but special TVs have programs that are stuck on during the time the tv was on before the Event. These programs could be survival tips if the tv was on a survival show, cooking if a cooking show, or a location that you have not found, for example a commercial for the cabins at Mystery Lake and you can mark down that location on the map and region to unlock. A tv could give lore like the computers or a special tv can give you a hint for a new region. A tv, for example in cabin in CH, has a commercial telling the player about a scenic route (transition route) to a new region that high in the mountains. It could appear before the Auroa TV but it a see and you miss it entrance. This gives players a look of the entrance to the route before putting it on the map and it random set locations like the polaroids. 

Uhhhhhh that’s a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

All this would require some balancing. 

I had an idea that some of the devices would have already broken down and could not function. And a device could sometimes go kaput any time it's used, possibly exploding and causing burns on you if your too close. Overtime more would go down by themselves.

• Upvote 2

On 7/7/2022 at 4:38 PM, Boneviolin said:

All this would require some balancing. 

I had an idea that some of the devices would have already broken down and could not function. And a device could sometimes go kaput any time it's used, possibly exploding and causing burns on you if your too close. Overtime more would go down by themselves.

Make it along the lines of the radio that Jeremiah was trying to repair with parts from the radio towers?

• Upvote 1

pumps - during an aurora the water pressure would come back. For rural homes, at least. (like mine, we're on our own well, quite common here in BC)

Vehicles would run again. I imagine regular cars & trucks would be too trashed or otherwise snowed-in to move, but you could sacrifice lantern fuel into the gas tank to idle it a while & warm right up. ATVs and snowmobiles could still get you places, maybe.

BTW I wish propane fuel was a thing in this game. It doesn't make any sense why it's not included. It's how the lantern works, fer pete's sake. (pressurized fuel) My old Coleman stove would still work perfectly fine, according to TLD lore. (and for the record, it still works perfectly fine, I still use it occasionally):

DSC00001.JPG

Edited by Kranium
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Kranium said:

pumps - during an aurora the water pressure would come back.

This could probably work, but it would probably lead to waaayyy too much water being stockpiled; just leave the tap running all night. 

Unless the ad is true, and your tap water does indeed hang out in some pretty seedy joints. In that case, there would be a lot of boiling the following morning.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2022 at 7:42 PM, Glacia said:

Personally, i think being able to use the Microwave (Basically a fireless and faster stove) during an Aurora, it would be an interesting implementation for the game. Like a ¿Reverse magnifying glass?, an option to renewable fire during night. Not a game changing element, but a very situational usefull mechanic.

Also, i think you should be able to lit torchs with the sparks of the wires during an Aurora (They cause burn, so they should can ignite something..).

Edit:  If you play the Relentless Night mod, you can use the sparks to lit torchs during an Aurora. (As well as many other incredible features)

Not the most influential feature, but is something usefull.

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2022 at 3:42 AM, Kranium said:

pumps - during an aurora the water pressure would come back. For rural homes, at least. (like mine, we're on our own well, quite common here in BC)

Vehicles would run again. I imagine regular cars & trucks would be too trashed or otherwise snowed-in to move, but you could sacrifice lantern fuel into the gas tank to idle it a while & warm right up. ATVs and snowmobiles could still get you places, maybe.

BTW I wish propane fuel was a thing in this game. It doesn't make any sense why it's not included. It's how the lantern works, fer pete's sake. (pressurized fuel) My old Coleman stove would still work perfectly fine, according to TLD lore. (and for the record, it still works perfectly fine, I still use it occasionally):

DSC00001.JPG

Refill the toilets when the pumps engage during the Aurora? @conanjaguar the water would definitely need boiling though.  Cool mechanic/feature idea.  
    Using the vehicles to get warm during the Aurora is great too, especially in interloper when you’re scantily clad…. 
     And I have noticed 250lb propane tanks mounted outside the trailers during gameplay; perhaps each one would have varying levels of fuel? I don’t know that I’ve seen propane appliances?? Non-working or otherwise.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Glacia said:

Edit:  If you play the Relentless Night mod, you can use the sparks to lit torchs during an Aurora. (As well as many other incredible features)

Not the most influential feature, but is something usefull.

Unfortunately for me, I’m a switch player.  I don’t think those mods are available to me 🥲

Edited by Semple Fi
Sad face

11 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

And I have noticed 250lb propane tanks mounted outside the trailers during gameplay; perhaps each one would have varying levels of fuel? I don’t know that I’ve seen propane appliances?? Non-working or otherwise.  

Grilling time!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I don’t know that I’ve seen propane appliances??

We used to use propane powered kitchen appliances at our cottage on an island. Fridge, stove. You can't tell by looking at them. IDK if most folks realize that that's a thing.

25 minutes ago, Kranium said:

We used to use propane powered kitchen appliances at our cottage on an island. Fridge, stove. You can't tell by looking at them. IDK if most folks realize that that's a thing.

Interesting. At least I do know that the older versions of stoves and ovens used propane. Maybe this could be an excuse to make pancakes?

On 7/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Semple Fi said:

I don’t know that I’ve seen propane appliances??

They're typically used in campers or in remote locations where there is no electrical grid. Propane powered refrigerators use a sealed system with water, ammonia, and hydrogen.  You'd need to talk to an engineer to get the specifics, but basically the propane evaporates the refrigerant, which triggers a cycle of evaporation, condensation, and re-boiling that results in a heat pump. Basically instead of using electricity to power a compressor, you turn the reaction on its head and boil the refrigerant on the other end instead.

And of course stoves and ovens just burn the propane for heat. But if you're camping, may as well cook over a campfire and save the propane for the fridge. A 20lb propane tank can run a small fridge for 1-2 weeks, depending on the ambient temperature. Obviously it's going to burn more propane in summer than in spring or fall. And if you're using a propane fridge in winter, there's something wrong with you.

20 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

And if you're using a propane fridge in winter, there's something wrong with you.

But it would give us an excuse to find more “processed foods” in the refrigerators, for that extra level of survivor comfort. And, more variety of foodstuffs is never bad.

• 1 month later...