got my first bear, perhaps causing a small tactic breakthrough

Adamo

Decided to try for a bear, I shot one from a high rock, he found the way up and came for me on the rock! Got him again just in time and he dropped at my feet, what a rush!

Ok so now I’ve got a stack of meat to deal with!! Normally I lug a deer back to my nearest base on one or two trips avoiding known wolf areas and using half as many calories as I’m going to get from the meat… but this wasn’t really possible today, then I thought : “duh why am I dragging meat back to a base? Why not leave on the ground somewhere useful?” 

And all of a sudden I am free from hoarding and can leave a network of food caches to use as I move! Face palm moment as well as the first bear high :)

pleased

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adamo said:

. . . And all of a sudden I am free from hoarding and can leave a network of food caches to use as I move! . . .

I agree with the point that you are making.  I leave my resources scattered across regions. I don't use stone caches, I just leave meat on the ground.  They are waiting for me on a return visit.  Similarly I like to leave a stock of food, water, wood, all sorts of things in caves and anywhere I might return to. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 3:59 PM, Adamo said:

Decided to try for a bear, I shot one from a high rock, he found the way up and came for me on the rock! Got him again just in time and he dropped at my feet, what a rush!

Ok so now I’ve got a stack of meat to deal with!! Normally I lug a deer back to my nearest base on one or two trips avoiding known wolf areas and using half as many calories as I’m going to get from the meat… but this wasn’t really possible today, then I thought : “duh why am I dragging meat back to a base? Why not leave on the ground somewhere useful?” 

And all of a sudden I am free from hoarding and can leave a network of food caches to use as I move! Face palm moment as well as the first bear high :)

pleased

Bet your heart-rate went up significantly!  Grats.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never engage a bear in a fair fight. 

I have found every bear route has at least one location where you can shoot from safety, a spot inaccessible to the bear.  The trick is to learn where they are.  Once shot they trash around and bleed out at the base of your perch.

If your safe shooting spot is close to a base, like CH Fishing cabins or PV Farmhouse, you can stash impressive quantities of meat, guts and hides.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
missing word

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats! Useful as dropping a bear first shot is, it sure is an anticlimax when you've been so careful! But yes, you don't need to haul it all immediately. Necessity is a good teacher. Being more nomadic/opportunistic can be a real eye opener. Happy hunting!