Faithful Cartographer Question

Ahatch

Just a quick question I have been playing a very long Interloper run around 740 days so far. I have been doing this self challenge to spend 50 days in each of the major regions and I'm 10 days away from completing it. Now along the way I have been surveying a fair bit and have surveyed all the notable landmarks in the game. I do have a some spots on certain maps that I wasn't able to survey 100% due to crappy weather (Pleasant Valley namely) just curious is it just too tough to get this achievement on Interloper . Am I best off to go start a Pilgrim Run ? 

tldsurveyed.png

4 minutes ago, SpanishMoss said:

Depends on which regions you're missing stuff, but since you have most of the maps complete, I think it would be faster to complete it in your current run. 

This, for sure.  You're so close.  Just pull out the list and figure out what you're missing.  If you concentrate on those places, I'm sure you'll find a way to get the breaks in the weather you need to complete it.  You're already geared up and leveled up, so that alone should make it easier to complete rather than starting over in a whole new run.  I wouldn't let it interfere with completing your 50 days in each region objective though... Do that first, and then tack the additional cartographer stuff onto the run afterwards.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ahatch said:

I was wrong to assume 212/212 was enough alone.

I got up to 344 locations before Blackrock came out.  But due to a bug, that has not increased with the locations that I have discovered in Blackrock.  I assume the update that is due any day will have that bug fixed and I shall get a revised number of locations.  I hope that I don't have to go back to Blackrock because I have missed some place there.  I hate the region.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ahatch said:

I think I will head back to PV next and do a better job on that map , I was wrong to assume 212/212 was enough alone. There must be a spot I didn't map good enough and it's likely on PV

There is a list here on the forums that indicates what locations are needed to fulfill the faithful cartographer achievement.  It's not the same as mapping all the locations.  For example, transition entrances and exits need to be mapped.  It was buggy enough way back when I got the achievement (just after the Hesitant Prospect update).  Reading through the thread, there seem to be several issues with it still.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Just about done my 50 days on Mystery Lake so I'm going to head for old Pleasant Valley and the blizzards. Already roughed it out on this region 71 days but have to find the poliroid in order to clean my map up a bit as I don't want to have to go around in the cold on this huge map charcoaling. 

pvMAP.png

Recording these locations, whether it is just for the Cartographer award or it is to find all locations, is very inconsistent.

Sometimes the location is recorded automatically simply because you are there.  For some locations you must use charcoal to have it recorded.

For one waterfall in Ash Canyon I walked behind the middle waterfall and used charcoal when there, but the waterfall was not recorded.  I had to stand very close to the waterfall at its base.

There have been occasions when I have stood in a great many places in front of and close to a location, used charcoal, and could still not get the location to appear on the map.

I'm sure that there are other anomalies too.

• Upvote 1

I've started trying for Faithful Cartographer and it can be a bit confusing!

I had a Vista Polaroid for PV and in one "charcoaling" I got credit for 5 or 6 locations without going anywhere near them.

But that Ash Canyon waterfall? peteloud -- If it's the same one, I think the idea was to force you through a very unforgiving cave and that's why you needed to be so close, Possibly might have been covered buy one of the Vistas, but no way was I going back over nausea-bridge to get back there (found that Polaroid late in the game).

Still, it's an interesting challenge, so far.

(... haven't yet gone to my least favorite areas ...)