What do think is the most "useless" item in TLD?

Levelgrinder

12 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Nah... The description says that animals can attack if provoked on pilgrim.  It doesn't exclude wolves from that.  Moose and bears will also run away just like the wolves if they detect you before you get too close... unless you provoke them as well.  I think getting too close before they are aware of you or if they are already wounded is what generally causes them to attack on pilgrim.  The difference is that on stalker and interloper, they will generally come towards you even from far off if they see you ro catch your scent.

Also, as piddy said above, if a wolf is looking right at you in Pilgrim when they are eating and you aim your weapon at them rather than back away, they will sometimes attack rather than scare.

I've done exactly that quite a few times and they all just growl a bit and then run off. But the wolves are supposed to have a fear setting that's not applied to moose and bears.

3 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

try aiming your weapon at them while walking up to them, see if you can trigger that behavior.  If you can, then the mechanic probably works as advertised.  
at any rate, if you do intitiate the wolf struggle, then at the very least, you'll be getting a little taste of what playing Voyager mode is like!  lol!

I have aimed at them,so far nothing.  But I'll keep trying to see what happens. I got enough maulings playing blackrock  story. Its not the wolves on Voyager I have a problem with , its that stupid bear!☺

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've done exactly that quite a few times and they all just growl a bit and then run off. But the wolves are supposed to have a fear setting that's not applied to moose and bears.

My attack happened in the Winding Rover transition zone between Carter Dam & PV. I was walking towards where the cave is, and a wolf ran towards me to get a rabbit that was running ahead after I'd spooked it. I believe that I got the rifle at ready, because I figured I'd get the wolf as well, once he took down the rabbit. Somehow, I got caught up between the wall, the rabbit (that had turned back) and the charging wolf and it jumped me instead.  Definitely playing on Pilgrim.

I was shocked as anything, but warded the wolf off with the hatchet.! I did get some damage to clothes and person, including infection risk. Luckily, there was some Old Man's Beard in the clearing by the cave.

I've never had it happen again, but I have had a couple of wolves refuse to back off of a carcass when I did not have a gun, flare or torch on me. If you continue to walk towards them, that usually causes them to run off, but I've had a couple that just kept growling, so I backed off instead.

12 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

My attack happened in the Winding Rover transition zone between Carter Dam & PV. I was walking towards where the cave is, and a wolf ran towards me to get a rabbit that was running ahead after I'd spooked it. I believe that I got the rifle at ready, because I figured I'd get the wolf as well, once he took down the rabbit. Somehow, I got caught up between the wall, the rabbit (that had turned back) and the charging wolf and it jumped me instead.  Definitely playing on Pilgrim.

I was shocked as anything, but warded the wolf off with the hatchet.! I did get some damage to clothes and person, including infection risk. Luckily, there was some Old Man's Beard in the clearing by the cave.

I've never had it happen again, but I have had a couple of wolves refuse to back off of a carcass when I did not have a gun, flare or torch on me. If you continue to walk towards them, that usually causes them to run off, but I've had a couple that just kept growling, so I backed off instead.

It's certainly not something you expect on pilgrim.  But lately I think that some of the settings might have been tweaked a bit or there's some small bugs after the update.  I hardly ever had a bear turn on me until a few weeks ago and now at least half of them do. 

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

You'll notice that when you select "Passive Animals" setting in the custom menu, it 1) overrides the wolf fear setting (so that no longer applies to the wolves) and 2) It sets all the animals to passive (so bears and moose are passive as well).  So, moose and bears can still attack you... and, therefore, so can wolves.

Keep trying to get real close when they're eating... sooner or later, you'll get one that does not run, but that turns to look at you and starts growling.  If you continue to approach or pull a weapon at that point, I'm betting you'll get attacked.  I've been attacked by wolves twice when animals have been set to passive... one was wounded and near death when I came around a rock and surprised him.  In fact, he died while attacking me and I remember I posted a picture here of it.  I can't really remember the circumstances behind the other attack.

Found the picture.  That's my blood on the left.  There's blood beneath the wolf because I took the screenshot after I harvested him (and after I calmed down and patched myself at bit).  The wolf's odd squatting pose is a result of still being in attack mode when he died.

TLD Wolf.png

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

A lot depends on the situation. 

A long time ago, I remember creeping up on a feeding wolf, getting real close, standing up to let go a bow shot (I was not at Level 5 archery) only to have the wolf immediately attack me.  At the time it was completely unexpected. 

In the case of @twyn1 experience I would suspect that, even though crouched, the wolf came within the critical proximity distance and detected the character (within the critical distance) and immediately attacked. 

I suspect, but never tested, the idea that, if a wolf was growling at me over the kill it had been eating,  I could make it attack me by boldly advancing right up to it.  

When I see a wolf pursuing anything in my direction, I crouch and try to move out of the line of travel.  Aside from scaring off the wolf (being in Pilgrim) I am concerned about it getting too close and drawing an attack on myself.  

There was also the bleeding/dying wolf that decided to take "one last bite before it died" when it got too close to just as it was about to die.  

• Upvote 1

I've always wanted to see a better balance in actual animal behavior as far as the game is concerned.  This wolf behavior "bug", seems to me to be exactly the kind of behavior your might expect of a hungry wolf that sees you as a threat to it's dinner.  If this is a result of Hinterland's behind the scene tweaking, then I just might go back to being a Pilgrim mode player!  I think it adds a lot more realism to the game in that regard.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

You'll notice that when you select "Passive Animals" setting in the custom menu, it 1) overrides the wolf fear setting (so that no longer applies to the wolves) and 2) It sets all the animals to passive (so bears and moose are passive as well).  So, moose and bears can still attack you... and, therefore, so can wolves.

Keep trying to get real close when they're eating... sooner or later, you'll get one that does not run, but that turns to look at you and starts growling.  If you continue to approach or pull a weapon at that point, I'm betting you'll get attacked.  I've been attacked by wolves twice when animals have been set to passive... one was wounded and near death when I came around a rock and surprised him.  In fact, he died while attacking me and I remember I posted a picture here of it.  I can't really remember the circumstances behind the other attack.

Found the picture.  That's my blood on the left.  There's blood beneath the wolf because I took the screenshot after I harvested him (and after I calmed down and patched myself at bit).  The wolf's odd squatting pose is a result of still being in attack mode when he died.

TLD Wolf.png

On my custom I set it to passive and with no fear cos it stops them running away when I'm nowhere near them. But Im going to give it a try and see how long it takes. But in two years + it's not happened so far,on custom or pilgrim.  I'll let you know if it ever happens  though.

That wolf looks like it's got the worst case of haemorrhoids I've ever seen! 🙂

Edited by Leeanda

6 hours ago, Leeanda said:

On my custom I set it to passive and with no fear cos it stops them running away when I'm nowhere near them. But Im going to give it a try and see how long it takes. But in two years + it's not happened so far,on custom or pilgrim.  I'll let you know if it ever happens  though.

That wolf looks like it's got the worst case of haemorrhoids I've ever seen! 🙂

Yeah, I guess my flesh and blood didn't sit too well with him. 😀

The fear setting (high to low) shouldn't make any difference once you have a passive setting active.  I've never noticed a difference in their behavior with any fear combination with passive before, but I'm not really sure how to scientifically test it (hmmm... I'll give it some thought, though).  The detection range setting may be having an impact.  Maybe try setting it to "close" and the effect of meat on your scent to None (smelliness) and see if that increases your ability to get in close when they are eating.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Yeah, I guess my flesh and blood didn't sit too well with him. 😀

The fear setting (high to low) shouldn't make any difference once you have a passive setting active.  I've never noticed a difference in their behavior with any fear combination with passive before, but I'm not really sure how to scientifically test it (hmmm... I'll give it some thought, though).  The detection range setting may be having an impact.  Maybe try setting it to "close" and the effect of meat on your scent to None (smelliness) and see if that increases your ability to get in close when they are eating.

I forgot about the detection range,  I think it is on close.  I have just tried to aggro a wolf on pilgrim actually, when I finally found one, that is. Stopped eating ,turned growled and ran off the minute I drew my bow. That's what I always get but I'll keep on with it.

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Still no joy! I just can't get mauled.  🙂

13 times in 2 days and they all ran off. Even unarmed was the same.

This is now my new challenge on pilgrim.

Lol - I honestly didn't think it would be that tough.  I don't know whether to wish you good luck with that or hope that they never do maul you. 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Still no joy! I just can't get mauled.  🙂

13 times in 2 days and they all ran off. Even unarmed was the same.

This is now my new challenge on pilgrim.

Maybe you need to try hanging out in a tougher neighborhood...
What about heading over to BlackRock and trying your luck?  

ohhh.... I just had a thought for series where you spawn a new game in Pilgrim mode and just go from region to region trying to goad the wildlife into attacking you?  that might make for some entertaining writing as you "document" your
efforts trying to initiate a wolf struggle or a bear mauling?  Maybe even solicit a moose stomp or two?  😈

8 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Maybe you need to try hanging out in a tougher neighborhood...
What about heading over to BlackRock and trying your luck?  

ohhh.... I just had a thought for series where you spawn a new game in Pilgrim mode and just go from region to region trying to goad the wildlife into attacking you?  that might make for some entertaining writing as you "document" your
efforts trying to initiate a wolf struggle or a bear mauling?  Maybe even solicit a moose stomp or two?  😈

Theres a thought, not sure my writing skills are up to par with the other ones I've read though. 

I have had a couple of moose stampings on pilgrim already. And I would've had a few bear attacks too if I hadn't quit and reloaded first! I really do hate that bear cutscene, stresses me out!🙂  I could try custom pilgrim without yogi in though , and adding more wolves to up the chances ?  

But I will try BlackRock and see if I fair any better there. 

I wonder if the wolfskin coat I'm wearing makes a difference?

Edited by Leeanda

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Theres a thought, not sure my writing skills are up to par with the other ones I've read though. 

I have had a couple of moose stampings on pilgrim already. And I would've had a few bear attacks too if I hadn't quit and reloaded first! I really do hate that bear cutscene, stresses me out!🙂  I could try custom pilgrim without yogi in though , and adding more wolves to up the chances ?  

But I will try BlackRock and see if I fair any better there. 

I wonder if the wolfskin coat I'm wearing makes a difference?

Good thought about the custom pilgrim settings... and yeah, the coat could be making the difference, too.

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

@Leeanda, please don't short yourself.  I've read your posts and so have many others. 
You're articulate, insightful and funny and those are the ingredients that make good posts and commentary.

If you are on the fence about the idea, I encourage you to get started!  And yeah, as @UpUpAway95 said, get rid of the wolfskin coat and be sure to start carrying some raw meat!  Get that scent-o-meter radiating on all three bars! 

I'm looking forward to reading your new series!

25 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

@Leeanda, please don't short yourself.  I've read your posts and so have many others. 
You're articulate, insightful and funny and those are the ingredients that make good posts and commentary.

If you are on the fence about the idea, I encourage you to get started!  And yeah, as @UpUpAway95 said, get rid of the wolfskin coat and be sure to start carrying some raw meat!  Get that scent-o-meter radiating on all three bars! 

I'm looking forward to reading your new series!

Thank you for your kinds words  and encouragement. I will think on it. 

I did just start a new custom pilgrim run with wolves on max actually. I'm only 4 days in but I've not seen any difference but desolation is a small map anyway. If I do write anything I'll probably start once I leave this area. 

I'll keep the pilgrim one going to and dig out my military coat to see if it makes a difference. 

Does the smell metre even work on pilgrim?

Edited by Leeanda

@Leeanda I don't know if the scent-o-meter works on Pilgrim, it's been so long since I played that difficulty setting.

I know quite a bit of ailments and what not have been turned off but maybe in custom mode settings it can be activated.  Although I suspect that if you select passive wildlife in custom mode settings it probably turns off the metric or bypasses it.  It makes sense that it wouldn't work to attract predators considering they are nonaggressive, but let us know if you get a meter on your HUD when you have raw meat in your pack the next time you play?

Stone cache has to be the most useless thing. It does nothing that I can't already do but it takes effort to make. I find the map is the same, using it only hurts you.

Other than that I have never used water tabs though I understand they can save a little time. Maybe if I slowed down the game time passage(something I am interested in doing at some point) it would seem more worthwhile. Currently though you can either just find enough water that's fine to drink or you boil water while doing other things. I think that's what is up, I've never felt limited by water boil time so I've never decided to accelerate the task.

I have to oppose to rock caches. They are situational, but I found some use for them. The ability to store 50 kilo is valuable in Bleak Inlet monkey path.

I do agree with water purification tablets. These are heavy for what they can do.