A New Day... Another New Beginning

ManicManiac

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

I will... I remember having to steer clear of one the last time I was up at Miner's Folly.  

:coffee::fire::coffee:
My view from the cave last night... now it's just a brutal white wall of thrashing snow.
20220512211132_1.thumb.jpg.c5eec5ff056c6fca70285b94378c5a67.jpg

I think he's a permanent resident. I've never been there and not seen him. 

I've never found him asleep either.  Probably why I never find any coffee up there🙂 

I hope that clears up quickly.  The last thing you need is to run out of wood or a mad dash down the rope.  Which I've done both of!🙂

• Like 1

As the fire started to die down, I decided that I would try to brave the storm... better to get to the mine and have to wait, than to stay snowed in here at the cave.  Since I was out of food (since I'm still abstaining from eating any "found food" items) I knew the longer I was starving the harder climbing ropes was eventually going to get.

I braced for the bitter sting of the driving winds and pushed on ward.  As I made my way down the rope, it felt like it took forever before I could finally see the ground.  Visibility was horrible, and I knew I'd almost have to feel my way along to and find the Mining Camp.  I knew as long as I could keep track of which direction, I was facing it wouldn't be hard to find (the basin just isn't that large).  It wasn't long before I could make out the outline of one of the outlying structures.  I didn't waste any time looking around, I followed sluice and quickly found my way to the mine entrance.

Inside I found (and left behind) a decent amount of found food, some clothing items, coal, and other supplies.  I did however take a Cowichan Sweater, a 23% condition rifle (and a hand full of rifle cartridges), lantern oil, and of course the backpack & crampons.  All there is left to do is wait for the storm to abate.

When the storm passes, I will check to see if I can find any rabbits out near the mining camp.  If not, I'm going to have to make a hard push to get out of here.  If this happens to be one of those 20-hour storms and I get stuck for another night, I might just have to take the back way out of the mine.  At least then I'd only have to worry about repelling down ropes, as opposed to climbing up them.  Though I suppose I do have the crampons now... maybe the long climb back will be more manageable despite my empty stomach.

In either case, as long as I can find some rabbits along the way (and a reasonably safe place to harvest/cook them) I know I'll be alright.  If I don't, then I'm going to have to make it a forced march for the ideally the most direct path out of the region.  :D 

20220515071644_1.thumb.jpg.5f43767bb121a9a016e2eb8179f4d4c3.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@Leeanda

That climb down into the basin was much longer that I remembered it being.  🤭

Glad you made it down.  Without a stim it seems a lot longer going back up. I always take one with me for that reason.  

But I should imagine it felt longer than it should because of the weather.but it is a very long climb..  This game has its quirks🙂  I notice it when I'm crossing from pv farm to the barn.  Those fields seem endless...

• Like 1

When the storm cleared, I quickly searched the mining camp and around the rest of the basin.  Unfortunately, there were no rabbits in the area, but I did happen to find a revolver... so that was nice.

I took a long look up at the climbing rope, but I didn't feel good about attempting that climb.  I was just too tired; I'd risk getting stuck on the midway ledge.  So, maybe it was a bit of a copout, but I didn't want to spend the night in the basin to try to take on the climb.  Instead, I figured I'd get a head start on hiking out of the region and went back through the mine.  At least that way, I'd only have to worry about climbing down rather than up.

After I'd made it down the steep foot path and down the first climb on the back end of the mine, I was completely exhausted.  Though it was already starting to get dark, the weather was still pretty nice.  However, not wanting to risk it, I found a decently protected spot near the next climb and started a fire.  I'd only brought one piece of coal and two sticks with me from the mine, but that was enough for a couple hours of warmth.  After I woke from a four-hour nap, I headed down the last climb.  By this time, it was well and truly dark, but there was still enough light for me to make out enough of my surroundings for me to keep moving forward.

I knew I had to be careful of a potential moose near here, so I kept crouched and crept onwards looking for the path that would lead me to Stone Shelf Cave.  I knew that was the place I wanted to hole-up for the rest of the night.  Once I was able to make sure there wasn't a moose milling around, I got up and more quickly made my way along the ridge line and up to the cave.  I quickly made my way to warmest part of the cave and napped until morning.

After sunup, I decided I would drop off all the extra gear and supplies that I took with me from the mine.  Stone Shelf Cave was a good spot for establishing a small encampment.  As I was sorting through my pack, I realized that I'd left three books of carboard matches up on the path between the two climbs on my way down.  Oh well, I made a quick note in my journal to come back for them the next time I'm in the area.  I was tempted to go back for them, but no... not on an empty stomach and my condition on the decline.  I needed to focus on either committing to getting food, just getting back to Timberwolf Mountain.  

Outside the cave I noted a deer rooting around in the snow.  Further on as I carefully made my way to Pillar's Footrest, I spotted a decent number of rabbits (I'd also gathered up enough birch bark for five cups of tea).  I was tempted to hunt, gather up the venison/rabbit meat, and maybe stay to map & search though the region.  However, I was already so close to the cave that would lead out to the Deer Clearing on Timberwolf Mountain, that I decided I'd finish this trek and get back to the plan of heading over to Coastal Highway.

The cave had more twists and turns than I remembered.  There was also a surprising amount gear to be found there.  I ended up picking up revolver, a cooking pot, and yet another sleeping bag (all things I would leave behind for future treks into the region).  As I approached the far end of the cave, I could hear the familiar sound of a blizzard raging outside.    ...😒I thought I'd left Pleasant Valley, but apparently the weather has followed me.

I'm in good enough shape that I can wait it out.  If need be, I have enough coal collected that I can boil up enough tea to get me though a solid night's sleep without worry.  This has been a wonderful trek, and I was happy to see how far I could make it into and out of a region in such a short amount of time, without getting ambushed or getting myself stuck without a way to get at least enough food to get by.  I feel better knowing that I'm still agile enough to handle some of the rougher regions relatively easily with just my "bare essentials" kit.

Oh, I did remember to take a snapshot of what I left at my encampment at Stone Shelf Cave.
20220515095026_1.thumb.jpg.693e699dca24cbe7718075e4a6d2c36f.jpg
Nearly a full toolset. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I see there are still birch bark peelings the size of shields to be found in Ash Canyon... :D 
20220515093746_1.thumb.jpg.ae858947d0c5812720dd20891826945c.jpg
I'm surprised I'm still finding these appearing after all this time.

I forgot about those 😁 pity they can't be used as shelter. 

Sounds like you made the right choice going out the back of the mine. 

• Like 1

@Leeanda
I hope so.  Part of me felt like it was a little bit of a copout; that perhaps I should have attempted the more challenging route first.  The other part, just wanted to ensure survival... and the other path still had it's own risks.  

Ultimately I'm glad I chose that route, I probably wouldn't have explored the cave from Pillar's Footrest to The Deer Clearing (at least not until much much later).  All in all, I think I'm happy that I took more a full round trip through the region.

I still have to get back to the Mountaineer's Hut to eat something substantial, so I'm not out of the woods yet (so to speak) :D 

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda
I hope so.  Part of me felt like it was a little bit of a copout; that perhaps I should have attempted the more challenging route first.  The other part, just wanted to ensure survival... and the other path still had it's own risks.  

Ultimately I'm glad I chose that route, I probably wouldn't have explored the cave from Pillar's Footrest to The Deer Clearing (at least not until much much later).  All in all, I think I'm happy that I took more a full round trip through the region.

I still have to get back to the Mountaineer's Hut to eat something substantial, so I'm not out of the woods yet (so to speak) :D 

There are at least two moose spawn sites in ash plus wolves in  all the awkward areas so it's certainly not a copout!! If you'd gone via miners folly there's only the bear between you and the exit.  

Honestly can't remember even going through that exit cave. Think I only found it once ,still didn't go in but I might now knowing it's got some loot in. 

Hope you get some food .. I've just spent 8 days in MT and only seen  one bear and three deer! No rabbits or wolves at all!  

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

@Leeanda
Thank you, I appreciate that.

As for that cave, I definitely didn't expect to find as much as I did.  It's possible (probably likely) I just got very lucky with the spawns.  There was a campfire, a poor unfortunate soul (person had 5 rifle rounds in their pockets and a revolver in hand), their backpack (had revolver cartridges), a wolf carcass not far away, and 2-3 revolver casings littered around both areas.  It was a tableau telling as complete (and specific) a story as I can ever remember encountering in The Long Dark in a long while.  I mean, at each site we can usually put together some story about how each corpse or carcass ended up where it did... but this time the story told seemed rather explicit.

The good news is that food won't be an issue.  I know I can starve for one more night and be more-or-less okay to make the trek back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  If I need, I have the birch bark I can boil... and I can also eat what's left of that wolf.  Though honestly I'm inclined to leave that carcass alone (just for the sake of the sorry it helps tell). :D 

I should be able to get a session in this evening, and we'll see how it plays out. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@Leeanda
Thank you, I appreciate that.

As for that cave, I definitely didn't expect to find as much as I did.  It's possible (probably likely) I just got very lucky with the spawns.  There was a campfire, a poor unfortunate soul (person had 5 rifle rounds in their pockets and a revolver in hand), their backpack (had revolver cartridges), a wolf carcass not far away, and 2-3 revolver casings littered around both areas.  It was a tableau telling as complete (and specific) a story as I can ever remember encountering in The Long Dark in a long while.  I mean, at each site we can usually put together some story about how each corpse or carcass ended up where it did... but this time the story told seemed rather explicit.

The good news is that food won't be an issue.  I know I can starve for one more night be more or less okay to make the trek back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  If I need I have the birch bark I can boil... and I can also eat what's left of that wolf.  Though honestly I'm inclined to leave that carcass alone (just for the sake of the sorry it helps tell). :D 

I should be able to get a session in this evening, and we'll see how it plays out. 

That's true. Many of them leave it to your own imagination . Taking just the meat shouldn't disturb the scene though ,at least aesthetically.  

I have to say you made it hard for yourself food wise but you're doing a great job.🙂 

• Like 1

I stashed the extra gear and equipment near the cave entrance (better to have it there to pick up when I go back rather than add it to the resources I have gathered for Timberwolf Mountain).  The only things I brought out with me (aside from my bare essentials kit of course) were any rifle/revolver cartridges/casings, and few arrow heads.  Everything else that was found in Ash Canyon is going to stay in Ash Canyon.

I spent a bit of time preparing the eight pieces of birch bark I had on hand, and afterward took a couple of one hour naps while waiting for the storm to abate.  Thankfully the storm blew itself out before nightfall, and I was able to make the hike back to Crystal Lake.  It felt good to get back to the Mountaineer's Hut, so relatively warm and safe... :D 
I immediately filled my stomach on the small stock of fish I had there, and passed time by reorganizing all the gear and supplies there at the hut.

The following morning, there was some heavy snowfall and gusty winds... not really a blizzard of enough of a snowstorm to be threatening a blizzard.  I wasn't about to get stuck again, so I decided to try and get out ahead of it.  I made my way back to Pleasant Valley at a steady clip (thankfully that gusty wind was at my back).  I stopped by the Abandoned Prepper Cache to warm up, by the time I stepped outside again the wind was thankfully dying down.  However... as I was approaching the area near the Cave (about halfway between the bridge and the Derelict Cabins) a horribly dense fog rolled in.  I stopped off at the cave to wait an hour or two, but it seemed clear the opaque fog was going to hang around in the valley for likely a considerable length of time.

I decided to do the risky thing... I was going to try to cut across to the river to try and take a more direct path back towards Thompson's Crossing by way of the Lonely Homestead in the Birch Forest.  I knew there were almost always wolves sulking around the area... and if I was going to make it though with out getting chewed on, I would need to navigate purely by sound (seeing nearby threats or even really where I was going just wasn't going to be possible until the fog lifts).

Once again I had to get low and each step felt like an agonizingly tense eternity. :D 
About six times, I had to stop dead in my tracks and back peddle as I detected a nearby wolf's footsteps... then jumped a little when the definingly close howl struck my every nerve as I was trying to slowly change course and back away (while still trying to maintain my orientation).  I hade to circle back twice... it seemed like there might have been at least two groups (maybe three?) of wolves prowling around the area.  I eventually was able to swing wide and get to the bridge nearer the the waterfall.  Naturally, it wasn't until I'd finally gotten clear of the wolf patrols, did the fog finally lift.  From there, I was able so safely get out onto the river and onwards to the Birch Forest. 

With the fog quickly fading, I was able to make my way quickly through the birch forest and onward back to Thompson's Crossing and the Community Hall.  I was tempted to take a shot at the nearby deer in that back field, but decided against it.  I only have 5 arrows, and I wouldn't be able to make any more of them until I either finish mapping the regions... or I find birch saplings while beachcombing.

I spent the evening next to a warm fire in the Community Hall and did some mending to pass the time before bed.  Tomorrow, I'll head out to Coastal Highway via the Cinder Hills Mine.  (assuming good weather, of course)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@Leeanda
I kind of figured I just had just gotten unusually lucky with the loot spawning in that cave. :D 

After I'd gotten back to Pleasant Valley, I realized I'd forgotten to drop off the extra cooking pot I'd found in Ash Canyon.  I suppose I can just drop it off at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead, and make a note in my journal to pick it up later to take back with me to AC (when I'm ready to fully map the region).

Edited by ManicManiac

Ironically,I've already seen about 7 revolvers before I got there so it was the last thing I probably needed🙂 I'm only about 13 days in on this run too. 

So you definitely did get lucky. Especially given the difficulty you're on. 

Sounds like a good idea,, I find it pays to have at least one pot in each area even though I always carry one anyway. Places like ash can keep you trapped in a cave for quite a while ,leaving little to do except boil water!🙂

• Like 1

I woke early that morning and spent a significant amount of time looking over all the gear and supplies I have stowed at the Community Hall.  It occurred to me that I might also want to look over what I have at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead as well.  While I was doing my personal inventory, I found that was still carrying a cooking pot from Ash Canyon that I had intended to leave there.  I decided I would just leave it either one of my main encampments and make certain I note that I need to collect it/return it back to Ash Canyon the next time I intend to head that way.

It was getting late in the day, when I decided to quickly head over to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead start deciding on which location I want to leave specific items.  Part of me wants to leave the fire arms at the Farmstead... but if there's already one there, I'd probably want to have gear more evenly distributed between both locations.  For the sake of that, making an extra trip between the two seems worth it (one can't always anticipate future need).

I suppose it wasn't the most exciting of days... but I've found that good preparation for unforeseeable emergencies has saved my life many times in the past.  :D  

• Like 1

I managed to get to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead, take stock, and return the Community Center before it got too late.  I was all set to go.  I did decide to leave behind all the cartridges (and the spent casings I'd found) behind.  I know I was of a mind to keep them with me (just to take them from place to place), but the Community Hall seemed like a it would be sort of a main hub for me when passing through the region... so I noted their location in my journal so I can pick them up later on if needed.

I was tempted to just keep a full load of each (10 & 6) but decided it was unnecessary because I've decided I would take my bow and arrows (in leu of snares).  While it does move a little beyond just my bare essentials... so far, I'd only used it for the moose (which was a definitely a choice rather than a necessity).  Essentially, though I'm bringing them with me as a last resort... I'm confidant, that I'm not likely to use them at all (just that they are on hand should dire need arise).

Naturally, because I was ready to get moving... a blizzard hit the next morning.  At this rate I'll be well fed again by the time I get to finally stepping off. :D  I'd already done repairs the night before, so I just kind of milled around the Community Hall and looked to see if there  was much more I might be able to drop to save some weigh.  I was at 19 kg in my pack, but I did decided to bring my charcoal to be able to get a little bit of a leg up on mapping Coastal Highway.  However this did add another 3-ish kg of weigh to the pack (putting me at about 22).  I didn't mind though, because this only saves time on long burns to accumulate more.  I've proven to myself that I can hold my own regardless of circumstances, so I don't mind using up some charcoal I'm not really going to use for much else.  :D 

I didn't find too much more to drop off, though I have been considering dropping my bedroll since I'm likely to find more along the way.  Though if I don't find another one in Coastal Highway, that would mean I would have to be far more careful while traveling...  I guess I can think about it until the storm clears.  I stayed inside waiting for the storm to pass, but it ended up lasting through the day.  Perhaps I'd have better luck with the weather tomorrow.

The next morning, I did decide to leave the bedroll behind at the Community Hall.  I also decided to make the trek to check out the cave leading towards the Winding River.  I knew this would likely cost me another day, but it might be worth it just to see what gear and supplies might be inside before I leave for Coastal Highway.  The hike went smoothly enough, though I did have to divert a bit to void some wolves prowling on the back road and again due to a bear make its way towards the cave I needed to get to.
20220521081751_1.thumb.jpg.0a045ebd6412d8565d827ba2b4014992.jpg
20220521084614_1.thumb.jpg.e3a9787be465bb080989dc608f121278.jpg

Inside I didn't find much, some coal, a flare (which will come in handy as I was running low on lantern fuel due to this little excursion), and... a bedroll.  :D   Now I guess I have an extra to take with me after all.

I got back to the Community Hall, but I decided I would wait again until morning to head out to Costal Highway.

I'll just have to see if the weather holds...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I woke early the next morning (a little before sunup) to try to get an early start getting to the mine.  The weather was good (for Pleasant Valley).  There was a bit of a fog, but not so dense as to make it unsafe for travel.  The real benefit was that it was unusually warm for this early in the morning here. :D  It only felt like it was -4*C outside... so I knew I had better take advantage.

However, by the time I had made to the other end of the Cinder Hills Mine... 😒I was welcomed to Costal Highway but a blizzard.  Apparently I can just expect Pleasant Valley Weather to follow me around.

I spent the entire day waiting out the storm, and by the time it abated it already past sundown.  I was confidant enough with the region, that I decided to make a night hike to make it to the fishing village.  I stayed on the upper roadway all the way over the area just before the switch back, and made my way down the steep slops on the far end (which put me right across the street from the fishing village).  I got low and crept forward.  The snow was still coming down pretty heavily, and visibility was horrible... so I had to keep a keen ear out for bears.

Thankfully, the way was clear.  I was able to get inside and bed down for the night.

I'll start mapping in earnest tomorrow, but I'll also need to make time to start fishing pretty much straight away.  I not only will need food for tomorrow, but I'm almost out of water too.

Right as I was getting settled for the night, I started to starve... and lost that "well fed" feeling (and I had just gotten back too :D).

Oh well... I imagine it won't be too long before I have a plentiful stock of fish (which also works out well, I need more lantern fuel).

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda
For certain... I even just took a second look outside only to find it nearly on the doorstep.
I had thought it would have at least finished passing by, but I guess it had stopped to root around and lingered for a little bit.  If only bears could be tempted by fish... I'd happily leave offerings out for it.

Kind of like what I had going with the Venison Accords (from one of my previous personal challenges).

[from "Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer..."]

On 11/24/2019 at 4:44 PM, ManicManiac said:

:D I think the Crystal Lake Wolf and I have come to an understanding. :D 

Yesterday I was tidying up some little shadowy smudges I noticed on the lower half of my map (hardly noticeable really, but still... I need my maps clean).  I was mapping on the rock between the mouth or the river and edge of crystal lake (not far from the climb leading up to the bluff).  As I was finishing up the mapping action I see wolf gnawing on a rather tasty looking (and unfortunate) deer.  Up to this point we'd left each other alone... I'd stay a respectful distance and it would just go on about it's day.

While my food stores are pretty healthy right now (what with all I've managed to find in containers and a few ravaged carcasses along the way), but I don't really have a lot "fresh" food.  I have a stash of antibiotics, but I'd rather not use them if I don't have to... however the peaches are rancid so I've been having to :D.

I still had my four stones on me, and I noticed the wolf had come a fair distance from it's usual territory.  I let it chow down for a little while, but eventually I decided I wanted a peace of the action.  I hit the wolf a stone and ran it off.  I took a moment to see if I was going to be clear to approach or if I was going to have to fight for it.  While weighing the situation, I picked up 3 more stones and crept up to claim my cut.  I cleared the pelt, guts, and the remainder of the meat (~5kg)... and that's when the wolf decided to get sassy!

I pitched one stone, but missed.  I reacquired my BZO, and the second stone sent it running.  I decided I would give a little chase.  When the wolf decided to get lippy again, a third stone sent it back up the river a bit.  I decided to sprint back to the Mountaineer's Hut to give the wolf a little time to cool off.

The next morning, I decided to compensate my rather angry new friend for it's lost meal...  I sent a deer (more or less) right into it's waiting jaws.  There was a short chase, which I decided was probably for the best.  This way when I ran my new reluctant hunting companion off it's kill, it would be less likely to get sassy again.  I let the wolf take a little more than half the meat this time... then I took the rest.

As long as the Crystal Lake Wolf will uphold it's end of the "Venison Accord," I've sworn no harm will come to said wolf... and that I will send deer it's way as often as the opportunity presents itself (regardless of whether I profit from it or not).

Here's to "Reluctant Allies"

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

@Leeanda
For certain... I even just took a second look outside only to find it nearly on the doorstep.
I had thought it would have at least finished passing by, but I guess it had stopped to root around and lingered for a little bit.  If only bears could be tempted by fish... I'd happily leave offerings out for it.

Kind of like what I had going with the Venison Accords (from one of my previous personal challenges).

[from "Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer..."]

Hide contents

Lol😁. Think I've done that once or twice. Not lately though.  

It's amazing how slow that bear (and moose) can be .  I shot a moose at quonset this morning and it ran,but not too far. I sat in the car for two hours before I got fed up of waiting for it to come back😁

A lure would be good though,my scarecrow idea was silly but using a lure would come in handy. 

I'm sure it used to work. I left meat out on the tracks in ML and I'd wait on a rock somewhere then pick them off while they sniffed the meat. They don't seem to do that anymore. 

It does make that area a bit risky though having him passing so close by.

• Like 1