A New Day... Another New Beginning

ManicManiac

I wanted to return to Great Bear Island, since it's been awhile... I thought I would start again with a fresh run.

Starting conditions:  Stalker, random start, no feats.

I don't really have any solid plans for the run, but I have a few ideas in mind.  I'm not gong to be as restrictive on myself as I have in other runs (I kind of want to use this run to help relax as I continue dealing with more real-life stuff).

• I plan to map each region (again) as completely as is practical.
  • I intend to abstain from eating any "found" foods for as long as I can.  The idea being to stockpile the man-made/processed food I find until I can get the mapping done.  Until then I want to just survive on what I can hunt, fish, or scrape off ravaged carcass. 
  • I intend to abstain from harvesting Cattail Stalks, Lichen, Reishi, Rosehips, Limbs, or Saplings.  I'd like to leave those natural resources untouched and have the locations of all those natural resources marked on my maps.  Then, after the maps are complete, it will all be fair game for the rest of the run.

As I said, not too restrictive...  I did want something a little bit more austere than a regular Stalker run (until the maps are done at least), but I still wanted to be able to have access to all the tools and gear if I wanted to.  I figured this would be a nice enough compromise.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

Thank you, I had read something about that.

I'm also tracking that apparently the Paradise Meadows farmhouse is apparently locked up tight as well, and the key has gone missing.

The missing key seems to be a random thing, I found it on pilgrim  so I hope you have the same luck. !

• Like 1

Yes, the current lack of pre-placed "ravaged" deer is likely to be a little troublesome.  Using the tactic of chasing a deer towards a wolf to get a kill and then dispatching or scaring off the wolf can result in unwanted consequences, esp. early in the game when you're on anything but Pilgrim. (I still am mad about my lovely ear wrap that was eaten by a cranky wolf up in BlackRock)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@twyn1

Yes indeed, and thankfully I got fairly good at recruiting wolves as reluctant hunting partners in one of my previous personal challenges.  I would frequently use a lone wolf that frequented Crystal Lake to help me hunt deer (and sometimes even just chase a deer it's way just to "keep it well fed."  :D 

It's been a while since I've gotten to come back to Great Bear Island... so here's hoping I'm not too rusty.

I was able to get my run stated this evening...

I woke up to find myself in shallow cave.  I wasn't immediately sure where I was.
At least not until I was able to step out and get a good look around.  I quickly realized that I was on Timberwolf Mountain.  Specifically, just above Echo Ravine.
I quickly decided to head for the Mountaineer's Hut.  It seemed it would just be far too risky to try and make a day-one trip to the Summit (never mind the possibility of not finding a hacksaw along the way, or on site when I got there).

I decided I would head back the longer way to the Lower Wing Wreckage and see if I could find a hacksaw nearby.  While there was no hacksaw to be found, up on the ridge above the wreckage there was an unfortunate soul who had passed on with a rifle still in hand.  A nice find... but I have no cartridges and it's in pretty bad shape.  Not so useful now, but a good investment for the future.

I made my way past the wolves and had to mind the bear who was making its way out towards Crystal Lake, but I made it safely to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I did find a hacksaw inside and decided to make my way up the river to the bluff.  I needed to head out quickly.  There was no way I would be warm enough at the Mountaineer's Hut without either some more clothing... or a fire.  I had nowhere near enough sticks yet to keep a fire going for the rest of the day and through the night, so I decided I had to risk facing the cold and avoid the two wolves patrolling on Crystal Lake.

I was able to sneak around past them and head up stream.  I took the path up to the top of the hill overlooking the lake and found the cargo containers I was looking for.  Much to my surprise I also found another hacksaw there.  The hacksaw I had with me was only about 28% and I managed to clean out both containers without it breaking.  At that point I put on as much of the clothing I found as I could and shimmied down the bluff (it was risky, but quicker... and a bit safer than trying to sneak past the wolves again).  Time was the real factor.  I was already at a pretty hefty risk for hypothermia, and despite the fleece mittens I had found my fingers were still in slight danger of frostbite.  I knew I had to make it back to the Mountaineer's Hut and I had to get warm.

On the way back I decided to catch the rabbits I'd spotted near the lake.  I made short work of that and ran the rest of the way back to the Mountaineer's hut.  I found that I had just enough decent clothing to start warming up when I got inside.  I harvested up just the meat (by hand) from my 4 rabbits, but it was already starting to get dark.  I knew it was likely to get very cold overnight, but I decided to risk my first night without a fire.

I slept for about 8 hours (which was risky, I know).  When I woke, I found that a blizzard had hit and was very nearly freezing.  I tried to quickly get a fire going...

Getting that first fire started was frustratingly difficult and, in the end, it took 4 matches for it to catch (a 24-karat run of bad luck, I suppose).  To make sure no more matches went to waste, I immediately pulled a torch and doused it for future use.  It wasn't a very good torch, but it would do for getting my next fire going without wasting a match.

After getting warmed up and water already going, I went out to look for more sticks.  I didn't find many sticks, but I did find a couple more rabbits just over the hill and not too far from the lower Landing Gear Wreckage.  Having four rabbits would be good a couple days' worth of food (as long as I rationed carefully).  The pelts and gut would also go a long way towards warmer hands.

I managed to get the pelts and gut harvested while keeping my recycled can busy producing potable water and getting the meat cooked.

While the storm was still raging, I took time to organize the hut a little bit.  I got all my found food stashed away and a fair amount of water stockpiled.  I even managed to get my excess clothing broken down so I could repair what I could wear.  Still not enough to keep me warm outside, but it's a start.

After the storm abated, I went out to gather as many sticks as I could find.  I'm getting my feet under me... but I think I have a good fighting chance.  I may need to try my hand at fishing out on Crystal Lake if I don't come across more rabbits in the next day or two.  However, I can't really afford a line break... I only have one set of fishing tackle that I had found in the hut (currently no way to make more).

Fortunately, I had collected enough sticks to have a warm fire to sleep next to for most of the night.  I'm looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.  Even though I'm still just trying to find my footing, I feel like I have a fighting chance.

(Also, I'm noticing that whenever I leave the Mountaineer's Hut... all the sticks, branches, and limbs in the area disappear until I leave the area, look away, and then return.  As I walk back towards the hut... the sticks, branches, and limbs thankfully remember to exist again. :D   I imagine this is another bug they are working fixing... if not I'll certainly report it.)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I was able to get my run stated this evening...

I woke up to find myself in shallow cave.  I wasn't immediately sure where I was.
At least not until I was able to step out and get a good look around.  I quickly realized that I was on Timberwolf Mountain.  Specifically, just above Echo Ravine.
I quickly decided to head for the Mountaineer's Hut.  It seemed it would just be far too risky to try and make a day-one trip to the Summit (never mind the possibility of not finding a hacksaw along the way, or on site when I got there).

I decided I would head back the longer way to the Lower Wing Wreckage and see if I could find a hacksaw nearby.  While there was no hacksaw to be found, up on the ridge above the wreckage there was an unfortunate soul who had passed on with a rifle still in hand.  A nice find... but I have no cartridges and it's in pretty bad shape.  Not so useful now, but a good investment for the future.

I made my way past the wolves and had to mind the bear who was making its way out towards Crystal Lake, but I made it safely to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I did find a hacksaw inside and decided to make my way up the river to the bluff.  I needed to head out quickly.  There was no way I would be warm enough at the Mountaineer's Hut without either some more clothing... or a fire.  I had nowhere near enough sticks yet to keep a fire going for the rest of the day and through the night, so I decided I had to risk facing the cold and avoid the two wolves patrolling on Crystal Lake.

I was able to sneak around past them and head up stream.  I took the path up to the top of the hill overlooking the lake and found the cargo containers I was looking for.  Much to my surprise I also found another hacksaw there.  The hacksaw I had with me was only about 28% and I managed to clean out both containers without it breaking.  At that point I put on as much of the clothing I found as I could and shimmied down the bluff (it was risky, but quicker... and a bit safer than trying to sneak past the wolves again).  Time was the real factor.  I was already at a pretty hefty risk for hypothermia, and despite the fleece mittens I had found my fingers were still in slight danger of frostbite.  I knew I had to make it back to the Mountaineer's Hut and I had to get warm.

On the way back I decided to catch the rabbits I'd spotted near the lake.  I made short work of that and ran the rest of the way back to the Mountaineer's hut.  I found that I had just enough decent clothing to start warming up when I got inside.  I harvested up just the meat (by hand) from my 4 rabbits, but it was already starting to get dark.  I knew it was likely to get very cold overnight, but I decided to risk my first night without a fire.

I slept for about 8 hours (which was risky, I know).  When I woke, I found that a blizzard had hit and was very nearly freezing.  I tried to quickly get a fire going...

Getting that first fire started was frustratingly difficult and, in the end, it took 4 matches for it to catch (a 24-karat run of bad luck, I suppose).  To make sure no more matches went to waste, I immediately pulled a torch and doused it for future use.  It wasn't a very good torch, but it would do for getting my next fire going without wasting a match.

After getting warmed up and water already going, I went out to look for more sticks.  I didn't find many sticks, but I did find a couple more rabbits just over the hill and not too far from the lower Landing Gear Wreckage.  Having four rabbits would be good a couple days' worth of food (as long as I rationed carefully).  The pelts and gut would also go a long way towards warmer hands.

I managed to get the pelts and gut harvested while keeping my recycled can busy producing potable water and getting the meat cooked.

While the storm was still raging, I took time to organize the hut a little bit.  I got all my found food stashed away and a fair amount of water stockpiled.  I even managed to get my excess clothing broken down so I could repair what I could wear.  Still not enough to keep me warm outside, but it's a start.

After the storm abated, I went out to gather as many sticks as I could find.  I'm getting my feet under me... but I think I have a good fighting chance.  I may need to try my hand at fishing out on Crystal Lake if I don't come across more rabbits in the next day or two.  However, I can't really afford a line break... I only have one set of fishing tackle that I had found in the hut (currently no way to make more).

Fortunately, I had collected enough sticks to have a warm fire to sleep next to for most of the night.  I'm looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.  Even though I'm still just trying to find my footing, I feel like I have a fighting chance.

(Also, I'm noticing that whenever I leave the Mountaineer's Hut... all the sticks, branches, and limbs in the area disappear until I leave the area, look away, and then return.  As I walk back towards the hut... the sticks, branches, and limbs thankfully remember to exist again. :D   I imagine this is another bug they are working fixing... if not I'll certainly report it.)

Yes it's yet another bug! HTL are aware of it.

• Like 1

The weather was reasonably clear the following morning, but I still need more/better clothing.  I decided to aim a little further up the mountain, and head for the mid-level Engine Wreckage (back near the base of the rope climb).  If I can find enough warm clothing between there and the Deer Clearing, the I might be able to stash and excess gear and make a run for the summit.

I got kind of a late start, and my mind was more on food than anything else.  I tool the longer (but safer) way around by taking the passage behind the lower level Wing Wreckage.  I stayed at the rock-dome cave for the night, and managed to catch two rabbits.  It was enough food for me to get through the night and the next day.  I had managed to collect about 80 sticks along the way, so I knew I would have enough fire to keep warm through most of the night.  I stayed up for three more hours or so in order to prepare about 3 more liters of water.  The next morning, I headed to the cave (just beyond the lower Engine Wreckage in the basin just past Echo Ravine).  The other end of that cave lead to the mid-level Engine Wreckage.  All I needed to do was carefully follow the river upstream to find the container I was looking for.

I had to be quick, because a couple of wolves had picked up my scent... I just wasn't paying close enough attention to my surroundings.  I quickly just hacksawed the lower compartment of the container.  I quickly grabbed up all the clothing I found inside and quickly had to sprint away.  I double backed around the far side of the hill to try and shake my pursuers, by they weren't going to give up so easily.  I had to carefully slide down the cliffside and escape to the lower level.

After that I had to Dodge the bear that was ambling it's way along the river bank.  Unfortunately, while giving the bear a wide berth... I again attracted the attention of a wolf.  The wolf was making its way up the river from under the archway.  I had to quickly alter course and make my way around the archway in order to escape all the teeth.  I then took the risky path and just sprinted along the river bank and along Crystal Lake (on the side leading around to the fishing hut).  As I sprinted through the other two wolves patrolling near the mouth of the river joined pursuit.  By now I was rather exhausted, but I was far enough ahead that I was able to escape into the Mountaineer's Hut, begin to harvest excess clothing, eat, and get ready to bed down for the night.

It was a rather short, but still pretty harrowing little journey.  While I have a second Mariner's Peat Coat, as well as a second set of Ear Wraps... I'm still not warm enough to stay outside for lengthy periods of time...  I think I will have to venture to the Deer Clearing to see if I can find some more.  If I can get my feels like temperature up just a bit more, I'll be in a good place to make a run for the Summit.

The good news is there are plenty of rabbits along the way to fuel that trip.  I may also take a day or two to try and build up a stock pile of fish.  The worry is that I'll just end up with a snapped line and no way yet to craft another.  I'll have to think about whether I want to risk that or just risk my survival on how quickly rabbits will return to each of their groves.

• Upvote 1

I've been so cold... so far, I've only really managed to map around Crystal Lake (most of that came from mapping while staying warm inside the Mountaineer's Hut).  Mostly owed to not really being able to stay warm enough to survey while out in the open.  I should have remembered to map map some more when I was near and around some of those shallow caves.  However, I admit I was more preoccupied with just trying to get to more cargo containers... and mapping kind of slipped my mind. :D 

I've thought more about fishing, and while that could potentially give me a good (and relatively quick) stockpile of calories... it seems just as likely that I will just end up with a snapped line, lost tackle, unnecessary wear on my only knife, and probably freezing cold.  So weighing those two out comes.  I think I will stick to rabbits and ravaged carcasses for the time being.

The found food stockpile is coming along nicely, but I'm determined to keep that supply off limits for a long as I can.

I've not restricted myself to staying in just one region until the mapping task is done for that region (as I have in some of my other personal challenges), so I suppose I am free to roam about to seek out more clothing and equipment.  Though, for right now... I think it's worth the struggle to work my way up the mountain.  To make real progress, I'm going to have to be willing to leave the relative safety of the Mountaineer's Hut and not return for likely anywhere from 3-5 days (depending on conditions).  I only really wanted to stop back down there to drop off as much gear and supplies as I possible (keep the pack light in order to go further afield next time).

I have a little rabbit meat still left at the Rock Dome Cave (I don't really have a better name for it), so that will help to make one night's stopover a bit easier.  Plus as I make my way up the mountain, I generally try to keep the number of climbs I have to make to a minimum.  So I think I will keep with my previous route, taking the path behind the lower Wing Wreckage which will bring me past a couple of shallow caves (and I can detour to the Rock Dome cave to pick up that rabbit meat) and then onward to the climb that will take me up to the Deer Clearing.

Hopefully some more rabbits will be out and about, but I would likely need to spend the night there (assuming I am able to reach the cargo container without issue).  If I do end up finding enough to keep a little warmer... then I will stash my supplies there at the cave and push onward to the cave by Eric's Falls.  It's a long trip with potentially three packs of wolves and a bear to dodge, but I'll be in a great position to try to reach the summit.  Assuming of course, I can find enough to eat along the way.

I suppose that's the plan for now.  Weather's not been looking good, so for now I'm keeping my wanderings close to Crystal Lake.  I can't afford to stay still for long... I'm going to need food really soon.

• Upvote 1

I think later on today I'm going to start the trek to reach the Deer Clearing.
It will give me a good chance to see if the ravaged carcasses have been spirited away.  If not, I do have a knife and will likely try to carve them up (sparing at least one rabbit for the stop over :D).

I've not really been able to get another session in this week, but I aim to this evening.  Part of me kind of wants to head on to Pleasant Valley, but I think I'm going to stick to the plan to work my way up the mountain.  I suppose wandering nomadically through a region or two would likely yield enough clothing to stay fairly warm (and probably be a little easier)... but I'm really enjoying spending the early days here on Timberwolf Mountain.

• Upvote 1

I left the mountaineer's hut sometime during mid-morning.  Unfortunately I was already loosing warmth even while inside.  I knew I had to get moving.

Once again, I took the route past the lower Wing Wreckage (avoiding Echo Ravine for now), and headed straight for the climb that leads to the Deer Clearing.  Due to the biting winds I was already freezing as by the time I caught site of the lower Wing Wreckage.  I made it to the rope leading up to the Deer Clearing right around noon and made the ascent.  I headed straight for the cave that I like using as a stopover point, but found that I wasn't able to get above freezing (even in the very back of the cave).

I decided on taking a big risk.  I made my way to the containers, emptied them out, stashed most of the gear in the cave, took what I could carry, and made my way back down to the Rock Dome cave.  Before settling in at the cave (where I had a little leftover rabbit meat from my last trip), I caught another rabbit over by the other nearby cave (just before the long bridge leading over and behind Echo Ravine).  I'd managed to gather up enough sticks to keep a fire going for a little more than 8 hours (at least enough to get me though most of the night).  I harvested/cooked the rabbit.  I took all the rabbit pelts and gut over to the other nearby cave (since nothing seems to cure in the Rock Dome Cave).

The next morning, I woke up fairly cold already and quickly tried to make my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  By the I got there, my condition was getting really low.  With one good sized piece or rabbit meat I had left, and some birch bark tea... I was able to recover quite a bit by the next morning.

I didn't see any more rabbits near Crystal lake... one of the wolves has been skulking around the rabbit grove (no doubt lured over by the deer) and decimating the rabbit population just as fast as they show up.  I'm going to have go risk fishing... there's not much choice, if I'm going to stay here.

• Upvote 1

The next morning, I was feeling a lot better... but now I'm out of food.  I'm still determined not to touch the found food I've been able to gather up, so today I'll have to risk the fishing tackle.  Though a snapped line isn't the only thing I have to worry about.  There are still two wolves prowling around Crystal Lake, and two more in the area nearby.  If I were to manage a good catch, I'd still have to try to get back to the Mountaineer's Hut without getting caught by the wolves.  The bear that lives in the cave below Echo Peak East has also made it a habit of visiting Crystal Lake rather than amble around by the lower Wing Wreckage... so I'd have to watch out for that too.

After making a couple of repairs to my better clothing items (Marinier Peat Coats, Ear Wraps, and Wool Socks), I decided I'd just have to take the risk and go fishing...  The wolves were a good distance away, so it seemed like now was as good a time as any.  I made my way out to the Fishing Hut and used my Hunting Knife to clear fishing hole.  Thankfully it was a fairly mild day, so I decided to fish for four hours and try my luck.

Thankfully, the line didn't snap... but I immediately attracted the attention of the wolves.  I sprinted back to the Mountaineer's Hut and dropped off my catch.  Looking back, the wolves were already wandering back towards the mouth of the river leading further up the mountain.  I took that as a good sign and decided to try my luck again.  I quickly made my way back to the Fishing Hut and sat down to fish for another four hour stretch.  Thankfully, the line held up... and again I sprinted back to the Mountaineer's Hut to drop of my catch.

By now it was getting later into the evening, the sun was almost down and it was already getting colder.  I definitely had enough food for maybe the next five days.  However, I didn't have any sticks to get a fire going.  I considered using some of the supply of Cedar Firewood I've managed to collect, but I decided against it.  That night I would go to bed hungry.

The next morning, I decided I would dedicate the day to exploring around more and collecting sticks.  I'd have to be careful and keep and eye on my condition.  I'm doing alright, but I couldn't afford to spend another day freezing... or getting attacked by wildlife.

As I ventured out, it seems that the wolves had moved on to another area.  Crystal Lake was clear of predators, so I decided I would head up the river and explore some more of the hillsides leading to the bluff overlooking the lake.  There was another bear and at least one wolf further upstream, but I was content to just make my way around to check the caves and head out to the bluff.  As I carefully made my way, I noticed there were no wolves prowling around the containers I'd visited a few days ago... there were even some rabbits milling about.  I collected up what sticks I could (breaking down branches by hand for a few more), and took a look out over the bluff.  The wolves were back out on Crystal Lake.  I decided I would head back around the long and pick up sticks and branches from around the lower Landing Gear Wreckage while making my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut.

Thankfully, I managed to stay relatively warm throughout the day. I also managed to gather up about 80 or so sticks.  That would easily get the fish cooked and little bit of water prepared for the next couple of days.  I was feeling really fatigued after going so long without eating, but now I was in good shape to recover my strength... and maybe venture further up the mountain over the next few days.  I'm not sure I like the idea of carrying fish on me during the hike though.  I may just have to rely on finding rabbits along the way (assuming the wolves don't keep wiping them all out).

I'm not sure if I'm good enough footing to make this trip... but it would be nice to reach the summit.

• Upvote 1

I may have pressed my luck a little too far...  :D

I started out around mid-morning.  I made sure to take my hacksaw and a little more than 2 liters of water.  The temperature was fairly mild with the clothing I've got, so I took it as a good sign.  I made my way past Echo Peak West on the way past the Lower Wing Wreckage and followed the path around to the climb just below the Deer Clearing.  As the day wore on, I actually started warming up little bit.  I figured I should take advantage of the opportunity to keep going further up the mountain as far as I could before sundown.

I did have to dodge a bear (one that dens not too far from Eric's Falls), it was making its way towards the Deer Clearing (because of course it was).  However, I was able to get low and make my way around a large rock formation... and with a little creative path finding I was able slip under a fallen tree to get around behind its path.  Having avoided that freight train of hate and hunger (and not hearing any scared wolves prior too) I figured the way through to Eric's Falls was clear.  As I carefully made my way forward, I found no sign of wolves.  But I could hear howling up ahead.... so there must be at least one skulking around near the falls.   

As I approached the cave I had intended to bed down in for the night, I spotted a rabbit milling around.  As I crept up to catch it, I saw a wolf chasing after a deer nearby.  I snatched the rabbit and went over to the cave.  With the wolf preoccupied, I thought perhaps I might have a chance to get to the rope further up the mountain.  As I got close, I saw another wolf munching on a rabbit.  I figured it was a bit too late to turn back so I pressed on, hoping I could make it to the rope before it was done.  I had the rope in sight when I heard the wolf snarl and start a charge.  I thought for sure I was in trouble, but then I heard the sound of another rabbit scream.  Fortunately, the wolf decided to take after an easier meal.

I was half exhausted, but I quickly started up the rope any way.  I was completely worn out by the time I reached the top, but I was safe.  I made my way towards the nearby cave, when I spotted another rabbit up on the shelf with me.  I dropped off about half of my sticks, and decided to go catch that rabbit.  Having two rabbits would definitely get me through the night.  I set up inside the interior cave, started a fire, harvested/cooked the rabbit while preparing some more water.  After eating and sating my thirst, I bed down for the night.

The next morning, I woke the sound of a blizzard raging outside.  Part of me thought it might be better to try to hunker down and wait out the storm... but I was also out of food.  After thinking it over for a few minutes, I decided to make for the last climb.  I figured I better make the attempt while I was still well rested.  I braved the cold and made my way to the rope.  I started up the rope, but as I passed each of the two ledges I decided to risk continuing on with the climb.  I was already freezing and was hoping I could make it up in one go.  

I was able to power my way up the rest of the climb with a little bit of stamina to spare, and quickly made my way to cave up on the summit.  I made it... but now I would have to weather the storm and I didn't have but 11 sticks on hand.  I was hoping I might be warm enough in the cave... but I was not.  I started a fire in the far back part of the cave but only had a little more than an hour of burn time.  The was a piece of cedar firewood near the previous occupant's campfire, along with his pack... and the previous occupant huddled up next to it.  Considering the dire situation, I used my first piece of cedar firewood on this run and that bought me some more time.

Now here I sit... the fire dwindling and the storm still raging outside.  I may have pressed my luck too far this time.  Only time will tell... 

Here's hoping the storm breaks soon.  The fires gone out, and I'm starting to get cold.  The storm has already been raging since the early morning, and it's already getting close to sundown.  I'll make the for the Plane Wreck if I get too cold, I doubt it's any warmer there... but I may be able to gather enough sticks for another hour (maybe two) of warmth.  Hopefully I will find some more warm clothing to help me make through the night.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

It was another couple of hours that I was huddled in the back of that cave (trying to hold out for as long as I could), when suddenly after one large gust the winds started to subside...

The gamble appears to have paid off!

I spent a good portion of the evening hacksawing into some of the containers and swapping out clothing for the warmest I could find.  I didn't have any food left, but I was in good enough shape that I could afford to skip eating for a day (just as long as I can make it back to the Mountaineer's Hut before the end of tomorrow).

The next morning the temperature got really cold, and I had to stick close to the Tail Section.  Even with two Expedition Parkas and a pair ragged pair of Snow Pants, I was still getting cold.  I did start a campfire, but I only had maybe an hour or two's worth of sicks... which was fine, I didn't much.  I just wanted to buy some time for day to warm up a little bit more.  

By the time I got the containers cleared and the gear sorted, it was getting late in the day.  I ended up leaving behind all of the found food, most of the tools, all the deer and wolf pelts, some of the heavier clothing items, and 4 liters of water.  I did make sure to bring the rifle I found (the one I have stashed at the Mountaineer's Hut was in really rough shape, and the one I found in a container was in great condition).  I was still too heavy to repel down the ropes, so I took a risky trip sliding down face overlooking Crystal Lake.

I sprained just about everything on the way down, but at least I didn't rip any clothing.  I managed to make back to Crystal Lake without issue.  I spend the next few days repairing my new clothing, mapping, gathering sticks, and even managed a couple more very productive fishing trips (even managed to catch a few more rabbits).  So far my luck has been good... I still only have one set of tackle and thankfully it hasn't snapped yet.  :D

It about day 16 now, and I'm feeling confident about staying out for longer and longer periods of time without freezing.  I was glad that I carried a few pieces of reclaimed wood with me down the mountain.  I can now make snares, which is helpful.

Now that I have a decent footing, I think I'll work on clearing out the rest of the containers (and eventually go back for everything I left up on the summit).   Beyond that, I'm just taking it slow, building up my food and water supply.  I still only have one can... so preparing water is a slow process.

It's been quite the harrowing start.  :) 

• Upvote 1

It's been a peaceful few days here at the base of Timberwolf Mountain.  I've not yet went out on any more expeditions to find and clean out the other Cargo Containers yet.  I kind of wanted to keep building up my supply of sticks, water, and food (mainly Fish and Rabbits).  I've managed to get a little more mapping done, but it was mostly for the purposes of marking resources (since surveying from the summit revealed such a huge area).

Once I have a couple weeks worth of fish/rabbits to fall back on (which won't take too much longer), I'll start planning trips to the other Cargo Containers as well as eventually heading back to the summit to gather up more of what I'd previously left behind.  I do have 31 rifle cartridges now, so I do have more food/defense options as I go.  However, I do still feel the need to conserve that supply as much as possible.  With that in mind, I'm still going to try to focus on catching rabbits in order to save my shots for defense (in the off chance I get into a situation where I can't evade and avoid).

I will have to keep an eye on my hacksaw's condition... I left the other's behind up on the summit, so unless I opt to bring another pack full of supplies back down first, I'll have to be careful of breakage.  It would be tragic to ruin both a hacksaw and a full cargo container. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

I think it's also worth mentioning that I'm definitely seeing the effects of the bugs that were mentioned earlier.
When I went on my push up to the summit, I made sure to take note if the locations I'd noted ravaged carcasses and corpses that I'd come upon in the early days of the run.  I wasn't surprised to find that I'm seeing the same bugs in my run as well:

Corpses and prop-carcasses have indeed vanished.  That being the case, I guess if I want to be able to get into Paradise Meadows, I would need to get there as soon as possible after I first set foot in the region.  Since two of it's possible locations are in the pockets of the previous occupant... if I don't find the key in the truck or the tractor then I guess it will just have to be off limits for the run.

If the event triggering the bug is entering and exiting an internal area (including things like shallow caves/locations like the Milton Park Office - since I don't know for certain if it's the loading and unloading ), then I suppose I would just have to avoid that until I am able to make to that location.

If it's a matter of the Frozen Corpses decaying like the prop-carcasses seem to be... then I'd have to be sure I got to the farm within three days from the moment I step into the region for the first time.

So to cover both of those possibilities, I think that when/if I do eventually decide to go to Mountain Town... I'm going to want to make my way straight to the farm as quickly as I can, and avoiding all "indoor" locations.

The issue with the Limbs, Branches, and Sticks is not so bad... so far, they remember to exist again just as long as I leave the area, look away, and then return to the area where they had disappeared.  At worst it's more just an inconvenience.  As for the rest, the only impact that I'm particularly concerned about is the likelihood of a body disappearing before I can recover previously mentioned key.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I think it's also worth mentioning that I'm definitely seeing the effects of the bugs that were mentioned earlier.
When I went on my push up to the summit, I made sure to take note if the locations I'd noted ravaged carcasses and corpses that I'd come upon in the early days of the run.  I wasn't surprised to find that I'm seeing the same bugs in my run as well:

Corpses and prop-carcasses have indeed vanished.  That being the case, I guess if I want to be able to get into Paradise Meadows, I would need to get there as soon as possible after I first set foot in the region.  Since two of it's possible locations are in the pockets of the previous occupant... if I don't find the key in the truck or the tractor then I guess it will just have to be off limits for the run.

If the event triggering the bug is entering and exiting an internal area (including things like shallow caves/locations like the Milton Park Office - since I don't know for certain if it's the loading and unloading ), then I suppose I would just have to avoid that until I am able to make to that location.

If it's a matter of the Frozen Corpses decaying like the prop-carcasses seem to be... then I'd have to be sure I got to the farm within three days from the moment I step into the region for the first time.

So to cover both of those possibilities, I think that when/if I do eventually decide to go to Mountain Town... I'm going to want to make my way straight to the farm as quickly as I can, and avoiding all "indoor" locations.

The issue with the Limbs, Branches, and Sticks is not so bad... so far, they remember to exist again just as long as I leave the area, look away, and then return to the area where they had disappeared.  At worst it's more just an inconvenience.  As for the rest, the only impact that I'm particularly concerned about is the likelihood of a body disappearing before I can recover previously mentioned key.

There is a minor bug in some cars too. Sometimes you can't pick things up off the floor. Unfortunately it's usually books and ammo. Occasionally food. 

You picked a good time to start a difficult run..🙂 

But good luck and I'll keep reading .

• Like 1

I got up early in the morning and decided it was time to make my first push back up the mountain to seek out more of the Cargo Containers that I hadn't yet found/searched.  I decided I would hike back up to Eric's Falls.  The last time I was there, I spotted another container not far from the climb to the upper shelf (last time there was a wolf snatching rabbits between the rope and container itself... if that was the case this time I would have to be very careful).

Last time I was up that way, the rabbits around there were being picked off by wolves... so this time I decided I would eat before setting out.  At least this way, I would spend less of the day hungry and be in a much better position to go without a meal that evening (should I find myself in a situation where I cannot find a rabbit to catch).  The first leg of the tip was a nice easy stroll.  Once again taking the winding path past Echo Peak West, behind the Lower Wing Wreckage, around/above Echo Ravine, and up the climb to Deer Clearing.  I visited my stopover cave and dropped off some of the sticks I'd been collecting along the way.  I always find it's a good idea to build up little encampments along the way on any long trek (it's saved my life numerous times in the past).

It was still just a little before noon, and I decided I ought to be able to easily make it to Eric's Falls before sundown (assuming I didn't come nose to nose with the bear that dens near that area).  Even though I had a loaded rifle with me, I was determined to be careful enough that I wouldn't need to use it.  As I approached path that would either take me up to the Climb leading to the Secluded Shelf, or turn off on long path around to Eric's Falls... I spotted both a wolf in the clearing, a wolf skulking near the rock formation (directly blocking my path), and I heard a wolf yelping in terror as the bear started down the slope just ahead.

I decided to get on top of a nearby rock formation overlooking the path I wanted to go (as well as a view of the Deer Clearing in the distance in the opposite direction) sat crouched, waited, and watched for a little while.  I decided I would swing wide to the left (as though heading up the path towards the climb to Secluded Shelf) and stick tight to the rock face and try to sneak past.  I started when the wolf was making its way towards the exact spot that I intended to slip past, knowing full well that by the time I got close it would likely have already started to double back heading towards the clearing again.

Thankfully, I was right and slipped silent past.  Up ahead I knew at least one more wolf was between me and a clear path to Eric's Falls... and the way was far too narrow to very easily maneuver around it.  Instead, I kept crouched and kept a stone at the ready.  As I got closer, I stood up to get its attention (in tending to pelt it with rocks to drive it off).  To my good fortune (and surprise), as soon as I stood up the wolf caught sight of me and got spooked.  It sprinted off before deciding to hairpin and try to sprint right past me.  I ran over to the edge of the rock face overlooking the clearing below to give the wolf more room to run off past me.  This left the way ahead clear for me, and I took my time mapping all along the cliff face bordering the path to Eric's Falls.  

When I got there, I noticed right away there were no rabbits nearby.  I dropped off the rest of my sticks in Waterfall Cave and decided I would scout the area near the cargo container.  I used the rock formation right next to the cave to get a better vantage point.  There was one Deer off to my right...  One wolf prowling along the shore not far from that deer... and one wolf prowling a fair distance from the Cargo Container, but right between where I was standing and where I wanted to go.

Fortunately, there was enough room off to the left so I could try to sneak my way around.  Fortunately, the wind blowing favorably, and I gambled that I would be able to remain downwind as I snuck past.  The howls were so loud... if felt like the wolf was howling right over my shoulder, but I was able sneak by without any trouble.  I made short work of the Cargo Container and slowly made my way back to Waterfall Cave.

Much to my delight... as I was nearing the safety of the cave, I spotted one lone rabbit making its way up along the path I'd come in from.  I would be able to eat tonight after all.  :D 

I spent a few hours tending the fire and spent most of that time preparing enough water to replenish the supply I had brough with me, as well as leave behind 2 liters for in case of an emergency later on down the line.

The next morning, I knew I wanted to stop off at my cave at Deer Clearing (there was still a lot of supplies I had left there from when I cleaned out those containers) and I wanted to make sure to haul as much of that back to the Mountaineer's hut as I could and make the most out of the trip.  This however proved a little tricky that I had anticipated.  Normally that hike is a peaceful one, but today... one of the wolves prowling the more distant hillside had caught sent of one of deer (after chasing a rabbit far from where it had started hunting).  I was sitting back up on the rock formation overlooking Deer Clearing (the same spot I perched while trying figure out the way to Eric's Falls, and now I was puzzling out the way back).  I sat and watched as the wolf persisted in its chase... finally catching the deer right in the middle of the path leading to the climb down.

Since my usual path was now blocked, I decided I would defiantly make the most of the opportunity.  I slid down the steep slope and made my way past the empty Cargo Containers and on to the Cave (on the way down I'd sprained a wrist - so if this went sideways...I wouldn't be able to use the rifle).  I picked up every bit of gear and supplies I'd left behind.  I ended up with 45kg. in my pack, and I was already pretty tired.  I knew I'd be moving slow... but I was confident that I could thread the needle.  I decided to make my way to the right (and around the rock spire), and I made my way towards the cliff just past the rope clime.  On my way in, I noticed one small strip where there was a very steep slope, I might be able to slide down and escape.

As I slowly trudged forward, I spotted a pair of ears appearing just over the top of small mound nearby... that wolf was patrolling closer than I anticipated.  I dropped low... but I the pack heavy and I was already getting very tired.  I was now slowly crawling, inch by inch... all the while the wolf off just to my right would howl.  Once again so close it sounded like it was right on top of me.  I just kept creeping forward.  Keeping the edge of the cliff in site... after what seemed like forever.  the wolf on the left started howling (also sounding terrifyingly close).  I just had to steel my nerves and keep inching forward.  Apparently, the wolf to my left had finished eating its venison and was resuming its prowl.  I just had to hope it wasn't going to head my way on the way back to its territory.  So far it seemed to be milling about on the far side of the spire.

Slowly but surely, I made it to the cliff's edge, and I found my escape route just about where I estimated I would find it.  I was able to slide down to safety.  It was getting close to dusk, but I knew from here I had at least three caves I could hole up in if the weather turned... or if just got to dark and I wanted to hunker down for the night.

It was well past midnight by the time I finally made it back to the Moutaineer's Hut.  It started to snow not long after sundown and it got deadly dark.  As I was feeling my way back towards the Lower Wing Wreckage, I heard the very distinct sound of a moose.  This was the second time in the last two weeks that the moose had returned here.  Unfortunately, this time I couldn't see him, and I'd have to extremely careful to stick close to rock wall and hope I didn't accidently get to close and end up getting trampled.  Not only that, but I also had to watch out of the bear too... :D 

...it was a long trek, but what I saw and what I was able to bring back made it worth the trip.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I'm usually so concentrated on what I'm doing... I don't often remember hit F10/F12
20220131213210_1.thumb.jpg.104d35a5c0aea0bd5d4ef024f4c989d2.jpg
But when you're walking this slow... you can really pick your shot.  :D 

When I said it was deadly dark... this is what I meant.
20220131220048_1.thumb.jpg.47224df9b385268888d42113f9646007.jpg

Home at last...
20220131220500_1.thumb.jpg.18b6eb941867fc39fe5c8fc14b6bd012.jpg
(I do always try to hit F10 and F12 at roughly the same time - it usually then removes the HUD and I get a clean shot... it didn't really work for me this time, but I wasn't going to fuss around with that while trying to find my way home in the dark :D)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I'm usually so concentrated on what I'm doing... I don't often remember hit F10/F12
20220131213210_1.thumb.jpg.104d35a5c0aea0bd5d4ef024f4c989d2.jpg
But when you're walking this slow... you can really pick your shot.  :D 

Beautiful! I've been following your TWM saga with great interest! Thanks!

• Like 1

Spent another few days, gathering sticks, fishing, and mapping.

I did make one trip over to the Lower Wing Wreckage to gather up whatever I could find in the Cargo Containers there.  I'll have to go through a mental inventory, but I think I've gotten into all the containers now.  I think all that remains is to get ready for another trip to the summit to gather up another pack-load of things I left up there (though it will likely be at least two more trips to get everything down the mountain).  I suppose I don't really need to consolidate everything at the Mountaineer's Hut, but I would kind of like to have it all on hand as I begin to plan where to eventually head out to next.

That last fishing trip turned out a bit riskier than I'd originally anticipated.  I'd made it out the fishing hut rather late in the day, and by the time I was done with a 6 hour fishing session, I was exhausted.  I immediately attracted the attention of the 2 wolves prowling around on Crystal Lake... and even attracted at least one more from up the hill somewhere near the Mountaineer's Hut.  Since I couldn't sprint... I had to hope I could haul it back to safely before the wolves got too close.  I didn't want to have to use the rifle (and I didn't have any stones handy), so I just kept walking while looking over my shoulder.  It was a bit nerve wracking, but I made it back to the Mountaineer's Hut before the stalking wolves got brave enough to charge.  I only just barely managed to make it to safety.  A valuable reminder to never take even a short trip's safely for granted.

At this point I know I've gotten the containers up on the bluff.
The containers over by the Lower Wing Wreckage.
The containers near Deer Clearing.
The container near the Mid-level Engine Wreckage. 
The container near Eric's Falls...

I think the last stop would be the containers over in the basin at Echo Ravine (not far from Chasm Cave and nearby the Lower Engine Wreckage).  I will have to scout out that area next.  If the way is clear, I'll gather those up next.  If it's not... I may stop by from day to day until it is.  No need to press my luck any farther than I need to.  So far, I've not gotten into any struggles with the wildlife, and I'm hoping not to.

I may have to head to the summit first though... my hacksaw is in pretty rough shape, and I think it would probably be in my best interest to pick up another one, rather than risk this one breaking. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1