A New Day... Another New Beginning

ManicManiac

Early before sunup, I decided to leave for Echo Ravine.  I wanted to get there early to see if the way was clear to the Cargo Containers.  As I made my way, I took a flight detour to take a look at the activity near by the Lower Wing Wreckage (I thought I caught a glimpse of a large shape ambling around in the Birch Forest).  This was the third time in as many weeks that I have spotted the moose grazing and rooting around in that territory.  I was sorely tempted to invest the 1-3 bullets nessiary for all the food and satchel he would provide... but after a few moments watching him, I thought better of it.  After all, this was not a very ideal area to harvest.  It wouldn't just be an investment of 1-3 bullets... it would be more to the tune of 6-9 (1-3 for the moose, 3 more for the wolves, and 1-2 for the bear that tends to frequent here as well - in other words... too expensive for me right now). :D 

I got back on track to get to the basin just beyond Chasm Cave.  By the time I got there, it was apparent that at least 2 wolves where skulking about the area.  Rather than head back, I decided I go on a bit of a walkabout...  I'd camp out in the nearby caves and rely on rabbits to prolong my stay.  The hope was that after a couple of days the wolves in the basin would move on.

I decided I would hunker down in the cave just after the fallen log bridge and before the rock formation leading towards the Rock-Dome cave.  As I scouted the area, I found two groves of rabbits on either side.  This would be perfect for a stopover for a few days.

The first night, there was a relatively short blizzard.  Thankfully, I had enough sticks not only to keep warm but produce enough water to stock the cave with a 6-liter supply for a future emergency.  The following day was bitter cold, and I decided to make my way over to the nearby climb overlooking the basin for a quick look.  This time, I thought I spotted three wolves.  So, I decided to keep hiking around for the day.  I stopped by the cave just before the basin and picked up some more coal.  I snuck out the far end and mapped out Andre's Peak before making my way back through.  I picked up a couple more rabbits on the way back to my stopover cave, started a fire, cooked up my food for the evening, and prepped more water for the next day.

Early in the morning I headed back to the basin... the weather was threatening a blizzard, but I pressed on anyway.  This time the basin was completely clear, and I was able to gather up everything from the last Cargo Containers.  It took the better part of the day to make it back to the Mountaineer's Hut, and I was able to everything dropped off and sorted.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
All in all, it was a great trek.  Tomorrow, I'll see about heading up towards the Secluded Shelf to get some more coal, and stage for another run to the summit.

Edited by ManicManiac

8 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

This was the third time in as many weeks that I have spotted the moose grazing and rooting around in that territory.

Next to timberwolves, the moose is the most dangerous animal.  I've had several moose hunts turn out to be more expensive than they were worth.  Recovering from a double moose stomp on interloper difficulty is the worst.  I hate it even more than intestinal parasites, and that's 20 days worth of suffering.

You are wise to exercise careful discretion where the moose is involved.

• Like 1

Starting out before sunup once again, I was able to make the fairly peaceful trek up to the Secluded Shelf.  The weather was cold, but I'd manage to steer clear of wolves (and the bear who dens not far from Eric's Falls).  I spent a decent amount of time exploring the cave to gather up as much coal as I could find.  After getting to the far end, I was able to get myself setup on that side of the interior cave.  I was a bit concerned I wouldn't have any food for the night, but fortunately a single rabbit was milling around near shallow cave not far from the final climb to the summit.  I did some more mapping, and deployed the robe found in that shallow cave on the climb nearby leading back down to the path heading back towards the Deer Clearing.

I spend the evening cooking up my rabbit and replenishing my water supply (and also enough to leave a few liters behind for future emergencies).
Hopefully the weather will hold so I can get right to work in the morning...

I forgot to mention it before, but I did delay my hike by one day.  The morning before, I was getting ready to start out, but I saw a wolf chasing a deer all around Crystal Lake.  Eventually, the wolf took it down not too far from the Mountaineer's Hut.  I couldn't pass up on such a gift, so I used a couple of stones to run off the wolf and got to harvest my first deer for this run.  :D 
20220204203604_1.thumb.jpg.5b1bddc7ef11bfe97ea5e3612c4c4169.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I made it up easily enough the next morning.  The weather was bitter cold again, but at least this time I didn't have to contend with a full-on blizzard. :D 

I focused on food and tools this time, but I ended up with a pack weighing in at a little more than 47kg.  I'm thankful to be able to scoot down the face of the Mountain... otherwise it would likely take six or seven trips to bring everything back down.  At this rate, I should only need one more trip like this to be able to achieve the same ends.

As I was working my way down the last stretch over by the climb just past the bluff, I did catch the attention of a wolf.  Even though I had a sprained ankle, encumbered, and mostly exhausted... I know I would probably not be able to walk quickly enough to stay ahead.  I decided to use the few stones I had in my pocket to try and run it off.

Much to my surprise, after I made the first through... and watched the rock bounce of its shoulder, I saw it didn't faze the wolf in the slightest.  This was highly disconcerting.  I continued on and did my best to try and keep ahead of this rather persistently determined wolf.  I landed a few more good hits, but still the wolf was undeterred.  Between throwing rocks and keeping to the straightest line possible across Crystal Lake to the Mountaineer's Hut, I managed to make it inside and shut the door just as the wolf got close enough to charge.  It was the closest call yet (to getting into a wolf struggle, I mean).

I'm going to have to some testing with the wolves on Crystal Lake...  I wonder if this was a bug, or if it's just not always guaranteed the hitting a wolf with a stone will cause it to flee.  I had seen this happen before (maybe a year or more ago), but I had always thought it was just a fluke.  I'm going to antagonize some wolves tomorrow and try to determine if this was another unlikely one off... or whether this is maybe a bug... or if perhaps wolves are just immune to stones now.  

It took four trips up to the summit, to bring all the gear and supplies back down the mountain.... but the task is finally done. :D
Even the mapping is more or less complete.  There are some small spots around the edges that perhaps I could clean up some more, but frankly I don't plan on risking the run by finding more kill-walls while "goating around" to try and make the map as immaculate as I have in the past.

I do have a couple more places I want to visit again for a closer look.  I think tomorrow, I plan on revisiting the area near the Mid-level Engine Wreckage.  I'd like to take a closer look at the cave I found there and map a little bit more around on the farther reaches of that hillside.

After maybe a few more days to get things organized, I'll see about making up my mind on where to head next.  There is a good argument for Ash Canyon but heading to Pleasant Valley would be more familiar territory and I would be that much closer to Coastal Highway (where I can finally start to do some beachcombing).  I don't think I'm ready to deal with Timber Wolves just yet... so I will be saving Blackrock for another time.  However, if I begin to work my way towards Bleak Inlet... then by the time I get there, I should be well supplied to tackle Blackrock afterward.  

When it comes to where to make my next encampment... I suppose I have a lot still to consider.
In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my home here on Timberwolf Mountain.  In all the time I've spent on Great Bear Island, it's been my favorite region to live in.

20220205180755_1.thumb.jpg.c0c131b0b03ed8e6f26d417c5ea3488b.jpg
20220202201843_1.thumb.jpg.dd84ca8b450a2690808e78a79f81d6c8.jpg 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 12:08 AM, ManicManiac said:

I was able to get my run stated this evening...

I woke up to find myself in shallow cave.  I wasn't immediately sure where I was.
At least not until I was able to step out and get a good look around.  I quickly realized that I was on Timberwolf Mountain.  Specifically, just above Echo Ravine.
I quickly decided to head for the Mountaineer's Hut.  It seemed it would just be far too risky to try and make a day-one trip to the Summit (never mind the possibility of not finding a hacksaw along the way, or on site when I got there).

I decided I would head back the longer way to the Lower Wing Wreckage and see if I could find a hacksaw nearby.  While there was no hacksaw to be found, up on the ridge above the wreckage there was an unfortunate soul who had passed on with a rifle still in hand.  A nice find... but I have no cartridges and it's in pretty bad shape.  Not so useful now, but a good investment for the future.

I made my way past the wolves and had to mind the bear who was making its way out towards Crystal Lake, but I made it safely to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I did find a hacksaw inside and decided to make my way up the river to the bluff.  I needed to head out quickly.  There was no way I would be warm enough at the Mountaineer's Hut without either some more clothing... or a fire.  I had nowhere near enough sticks yet to keep a fire going for the rest of the day and through the night, so I decided I had to risk facing the cold and avoid the two wolves patrolling on Crystal Lake.

I was able to sneak around past them and head up stream.  I took the path up to the top of the hill overlooking the lake and found the cargo containers I was looking for.  Much to my surprise I also found another hacksaw there.  The hacksaw I had with me was only about 28% and I managed to clean out both containers without it breaking.  At that point I put on as much of the clothing I found as I could and shimmied down the bluff (it was risky, but quicker... and a bit safer than trying to sneak past the wolves again).  Time was the real factor.  I was already at a pretty hefty risk for hypothermia, and despite the fleece mittens I had found my fingers were still in slight danger of frostbite.  I knew I had to make it back to the Mountaineer's Hut and I had to get warm.

On the way back I decided to catch the rabbits I'd spotted near the lake.  I made short work of that and ran the rest of the way back to the Mountaineer's hut.  I found that I had just enough decent clothing to start warming up when I got inside.  I harvested up just the meat (by hand) from my 4 rabbits, but it was already starting to get dark.  I knew it was likely to get very cold overnight, but I decided to risk my first night without a fire.

I slept for about 8 hours (which was risky, I know).  When I woke, I found that a blizzard had hit and was very nearly freezing.  I tried to quickly get a fire going...

Getting that first fire started was frustratingly difficult and, in the end, it took 4 matches for it to catch (a 24-karat run of bad luck, I suppose).  To make sure no more matches went to waste, I immediately pulled a torch and doused it for future use.  It wasn't a very good torch, but it would do for getting my next fire going without wasting a match.

After getting warmed up and water already going, I went out to look for more sticks.  I didn't find many sticks, but I did find a couple more rabbits just over the hill and not too far from the lower Landing Gear Wreckage.  Having four rabbits would be good a couple days' worth of food (as long as I rationed carefully).  The pelts and gut would also go a long way towards warmer hands.

I managed to get the pelts and gut harvested while keeping my recycled can busy producing potable water and getting the meat cooked.

While the storm was still raging, I took time to organize the hut a little bit.  I got all my found food stashed away and a fair amount of water stockpiled.  I even managed to get my excess clothing broken down so I could repair what I could wear.  Still not enough to keep me warm outside, but it's a start.

After the storm abated, I went out to gather as many sticks as I could find.  I'm getting my feet under me... but I think I have a good fighting chance.  I may need to try my hand at fishing out on Crystal Lake if I don't come across more rabbits in the next day or two.  However, I can't really afford a line break... I only have one set of fishing tackle that I had found in the hut (currently no way to make more).

Fortunately, I had collected enough sticks to have a warm fire to sleep next to for most of the night.  I'm looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.  Even though I'm still just trying to find my footing, I feel like I have a fighting chance.

(Also, I'm noticing that whenever I leave the Mountaineer's Hut... all the sticks, branches, and limbs in the area disappear until I leave the area, look away, and then return.  As I walk back towards the hut... the sticks, branches, and limbs thankfully remember to exist again. :D   I imagine this is another bug they are working fixing... if not I'll certainly report it.)

I'm glad to see you are back and gracing the forums! 
You weave a good tail and I always look forward to what happens next in you adventures.  
So let me ask you a question, at what point to do just "pop" over to the hatch in PV just to take a quick peek and possibly loot the interior?  It's just a quick hike and fast rope down climb down completely unencumbered and you got a chance to retrieve some tools and of course some scrap metal to fix those hacksaws?  Might even find some useable clothing to improve your gear?  If you gotta stay over night, there is a bed warm dry bed but even if you didnt stay, you could be back to the Mountaineer's hut in the course of one day?  
I know you have some self imposed limitations but it wouldn't appear that by doing so, you violate any of your self imposed standards? or does it?

• Like 1

@piddy3825

Thank you, it's good to be back.

There's nothing keeping me anchored to the region, other than wanting to consolidate all the supplies I could find around the mountain down here to my main encampment on Crystal Lake.  The only additional limitations that I've really put on myself for this run... is to not eat any of the found food, and leave all the harvestable plants alone until I get each map finished (so if I want saplings and lichen... until then, I need to go beachcombing).  I'm not anchoring myself to any region for any set period of time or condition... so I'm certainly free to come and go.

I have been leaning towards heading to Pleasant Valley next (and the abandoned prepper cache would certainly be the first stop).  I'm seriously considering making my way through Pleasant Valley, and eventually onward to Coastal Highway (for the aforementioned beachcombing).

I appreciate the recommendation and words of encouragement.

It's so great to be back on Great Bear Island... it feels like home.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

As I made my way back up to the Mid-level Engine Wreckage (by way heading upriver from Crystal Lake - but dodging around the wolves)... I noticed that I never did bring/deploy the climbing rope on the climb leading up to Eric's Falls.  Once I was done double checking and remapping that mid-level hillside, I made my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut for a good night's sleep.

The next morning, I filled my stomach, grabbed the rope, and made haste before sunup.  I decided I would take the tried-and-true path past the lower Wing Wreckage, and onward to the climb to Deer Clearing.  I didn't take any stop-offs this time.  I pressed on along the winding path around the mountain until I came to the trail leading towards the Secluded Self.  I took the longer path around towards Eric's Falls, but I knew I'd likely need to be on the lookout for at least one wolf... However, as I crept around the rock formation, I saw the bear already ambling its way through the clearing.   Considering I hadn't heard the sound of terrified wolves, I took this to mean the way along the path was clear.  Since it the bend had several blind spots, I approached with caution.  Each time I could gain a vantage point and saw it was clear, I quickly resumed pace.  

Fortune continued to smile. :D 

As I made my way to the anchor point for the climb to deploy the rope, I was able to confirm that there were no wolves in the area of Eric's Falls at all!  I took advantage of the unusually peaceful evening, gathered up three rabbits I found in the surrounding areas, and had a small feast... and a good night's sleep.

The next morning, the way was still clear.  I took the opportunity to head down both climbs following the river and safely back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I decided to start getting all my gear and supplies in order.  I'm tempted to head to Ash Canyon... checking out the abandoned mine is an appealing proposition.  However, I'm still leaning towards heading out to Pleasant Valley and eventually onward to Coastal Highway (end eventually Bleak Inlet).  Though, honestly... I'm still thinking over the risk/rewards of both potential plans.  

• Upvote 1

Spent another couple of days reading more of the skill books I've found.  Since "Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns" is a more "advanced" book... I decided to just read 24 of the 25 hours it takes to finish.  This way I can save the benefit of that book for later on... hopefully after being able to find and finish other Fronteer Shooting Guides first. 

A peaceful couple of days, and I was able to take time out to experiment more with the wolf behavior.  It seems like the rather determined wolf I had to deal with a few days ago was indeed another fluke.  I spent a better part of a day antagonizing a wolf on Crystal Lake and using stones to drive it off.  I was able to do this several times, and the only part that still seems odd is that the wolf will flee in a seemingly random direction rather than fleeing away from the impact of the stone.  This results in the wolf sprinting towards me more often than not, rather than sprinting away from me (as I would be hoping for in most scenarios).  :D 

• Upvote 1

Finished up the reading I was going to do, but now it's time to sort out what to bring with me and what to leave behind.

I don't plan on taking much.  The intention for the most part is to make due with what I find in the next region.  There are a few things however, that I think would be good to have along (but it's not going to be much... I still want to travel as light as I can).

I won't be bringing either of the rifles I've found, but I will bring the ammunition (if I find either another rifle or revolver, I'd like to be able to make good use of it if needed).

I have 2 matches left from a pack of 12 that I've been relying on.  I do have about 144 more, but those will stay behind.  I'm also bringing the worst condition Firestriker, but the rest are staying here (it's only at about 25% condition, but the striker is just for dire emergency anyway).  I'll take the 2 tinder plugs I have with me, I would leave them behind since I can get more just by harvesting a stick or two... but they're light and I don't feel like having extra left behind only to find them again well after I get to Fire Starting Level 3 (so I will just keep them and use/make more as needed).

Even though I'm sure to find more lanterns as I travel, I will keep my best one handy.  I'm not sure yet about the route and navigating any interior cave with my fire-starting torch doesn't seem the best choice.

Naturally I'm leaving all the food behind, but I am tempted to craft and carry maybe one snare.  I'm certain to find what I need to craft more, but having one on hand to help get reestablished seems like a good idea.  It would be nice to move away from having to pitch stones to catch dinner.

As for tools, I think I'll be leaving them all behind.  I don't really need an axe or a knife for day-to-day travel... and I know I won't really have much use for a hacksaw out there just yet.  Besides, I think in most places I'm likely to go next, I think I should be able to find more of them.  I was tempted to maybe bring along a knife, but honestly for right now it's primary use is harvesting frozen carcasses... and considering I've been subsisting mostly on rabbits and fish I don't think that's going to be much of an issue.

I will take by best bedroll (so far I've found 3 of them - and I may break down the rest to add to the cloth stockpile).  I will be leaving behind all the sewing kits, cloth, and leather (since again, I think it's likely I will find more in the next region).  I will however keep my Fishing Tackle with me, in case I do have dire need of repairs or I get an opportunity to do some more fishing.  Plus it's lasted me more than a few fishing trips already without breaking, and I suppose it's kind of like a good luck charm at this point. :D 

Of course, I'll be taking the clothing I have on.  However, even though I do generally like to have one spare Tuque and spare pair of Wool Mittens (for the sake of swapping them out if either gets soaked)... I think I'll be leaving all my spares behind.  Again, I'm fairly certain that I will find more along the way.

In my usual fashion, I will carry 2-3 liters of water with me for a good day or two of travel (as well as the one recycled can I have for making more).

I have more than enough pelts for Rabbitskin Mitts and a Hat, and since they only require the use of a sewing kit... I may craft those up and leave the Tuque and Wool Mittens behind as well, but I'm going to think on that some more.

As for the rest of the pelts... I have a fair amount.  I do have enough deer pelts for some pants and maybe boots in addition... however, I'm not willing to sacrifice knife condition to craft those at this point (besides, the insulated boots are better for my purposes right now anyway).  I think I will take the pelts (and gut needed for crafting) along with me.  I figure it might be good to keep them handy as I travel, just in case I feel the need to get them made.

I will take along my Adv.G.G.G. book (just to have on hand should I decided to finish the last hour, it's not likely but I'd like to take it along anyway).

I'll leave all my bandages (I usually only carry one on me anyway, but those won't be hard to come by so I'm going to travel without one when I leave).  I will keep one small bottle of Antibiotics with me.  Even though, I'll almost certainly find more... it just seems wiser to keep at least 6 tablets with me.

In terms of making a mental check list... I think that's about all I'll be keeping with me as I travel.  When I get the final loadout ready, I'll give the full inventory (as well as the final carry weight) before I head out on the next leg of my journey.  

• Upvote 1

I think I've also finally made up my mind on the next region I will be roaming through next.  I was sorely tempted to take on Ash Canyon... mostly because the thought of finding Crampons and Technical Backpack was really appealing.  However the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to not really consider them a necessity at this point.  They are both really nice to have items... but I'm kind of enjoying the struggle so far.  I guess I'd like to save those little advantages for later on.

It's still fairly early on in the run, and I'm not looking to take it easy just yet.  :D  Which also why I'm not really interested in homesteading.  It wouldn't take much for me to get set up with a few snares/fishing huts nearby and just settle in for as long as I care to continue the run... but I just really don't like that idea.  I much prefer to be more nomadic and keep moving from region to region.

Yes, I have spent a considerable amount of time at the Mountaineer's Hut, but I think only as much as I've had to in order to get on my feet and consolidate all the supplies from the Cargo Containers.  Now that the task is finished, I am keen to move on.

...but I've gotten myself off topic... :D

I've decided to head to Pleasant Valley and start making my way around Great Bear Island from there.
I also think I'd like to get to Coastal Highway so I can get the opportunity for some beachcombing.  I'd really like some Lichen... and that's going to be the only chance I have to get it for right now.

• Upvote 1

Great story so far! I'm tempted to log a run of mine but I'm not sure how is the best way to write it. 

What I mean is do you log your story and write what's happening whilst playing, or do you just record your play session, or write what happened based on memory? I generally write about the game as I'm playing, but that disturbs a lot of my playing time so I'm not sure if there is a better way to log what happens in a game.

I hope you know what I mean and I'll gladly elaborate if you don't. 

• Like 1

@Catlover

I don't really stop to take notes while I'm in session, but rather just sort of make mental notes while keeping focused on what I'm doing for that time.  Then, after I find a good place to stop that session, that's when I come here and journal what I just experienced while it's still vivid and fresh in my mind.  I sometimes will also come here to walk through my ideas for what I'm considering doing next.

I find that this way, I can keep myself in the moment while I'm playing a session...and I can process and plan the next steps.  For me, this method of journaling works really well.

I'm glad other folks enjoy it too.

• Upvote 1

I spent the better part of the day finalizing my pack.  For the most part, I kept to the plan I had worked out the other day.  The total weight for clothing and bare essentials I am taking with me was just a little over 13 kg.  After including the few extras I decided I would bring along: pelts/cured gut, 7 pieces of Charcoal (just to get some early surveys in), and my ammunition... my final carry weight came to just over 23 kg (turns out I have a lot of rabbit pelts :D).  Other than that, I stuck close with the inventory I had laid out.  I know it puts me in a somewhat vulnerable situation, but that was kind of the point.  Besides, Pleasant Valley can be pretty healthy for gear and supplies.

Of course, when I woke early the next morning to start my trek... there was a horrible blizzard raging outside.  :D 

I figured it would probably be best to just wait it out.  I ate another piece of venison (just to keep something in my stomach while I waited for the storm to pass).  I double checked my inventory and found that my Adv.G.G.G was only completed to 20 hours of reading.  I must have gotten sidetracked or interrupted the last time I sat down to get it to 24... but that works out great.  I sat on the bed and read for another four hours hoping that the storm would break.  Unfortunately it did not, and I had to alternate taking naps and playing with cards as more and more of the day was slipping away.  I had enough food and water to stay another day, but I wasn't going to.  I decided it didn't matter when the storm blew itself out... as soon as the weather was clear, I was heading out.

The storm finally cleared well into the evening.  I knew I wouldn't have time to make it too far into the next region, but I already had a few plans on where I could hunker down for the night if necessary.  I quickly made my way past the lower Landing Gear Wreckage and made my way into Pleasant Valley.  It was still snowing heavily, but I was betting that since a blizzard had just blown over it was likely just going to be a night of heavy snow.  Though I suppose in Pleasant Valley, back to back blizzards is not unheard of... but I decided to risk it anyway.  I took my time and mapped out the exit for Timberwolf Mountain to get my map of Pleasant Valley started.  I used up a few pieces sketching out the winding path, down the climb, and survived the entrance to the Abandoned Prepper Cache (and the nearby ruined cabin).  I quickly searched through the cache, but I didn't really want to end up staying there for the night.  I knew I could make at least a little farther in before it got deadly dark out.

I found some good stuff in the Abandoned Cache (although most of the lockers were locked... so I will have to return with a prybar later).  I found some line and a hook (finally some backup fishing tackle), a nearly full lantern, and a little bit of found-food.  I did find a firearm cleaning kit... but no firearm.  The shelves and filing cabinets were all empty... hopefully there will be some good gear stashed in those lockers then.  :D 

I made my way back outside, and quickly headed around the bend  to the nearby Hunter's Blind.  I actually spotted a frozen corpse nearby!

(Since I'd already been to an indoor location, and still found this... I suppose that supports the idea that corpses and prop-carcasses are decaying at the rate of a freshly hunted carcass; noted for later on)

I didn't find anything on the frozen corpse, but I did find another harvesting skill book, an arrow, and a little bit more found-food at the Hunter's Blind.  Rather than following that trail towards Three Strikes Farmstead, I decided I would head around towards Skeeter's Ridge.  I was hoping to make it to the Draft Dodger's Cabin before it got too late.  As I got closer towards the plane wreckage, I spotted another ruined cabin with another frozen corpse nearby.  While the poor soul didn't have anything in it's pockets... they did have a hunting knife laying near them for me to use.

However, luck would quickly take a bit of a turn. :D 

As I made my way closer to Skeeter's Ridge, I failed to spot the a wolf that had been skulking on the other side of a nearby tree.  I back pedaled to the ruined cabin where I had just picked up the knife and used that to give the wolf the run around so I could circle past it.  I sprinted a little way so I could perhaps quickly search around the ruined house that sits closer to the cliffside before ducking into the basement, but I got to the other side of that house... I was greeted by another loud snarl.   Now I was caught between two hungry sets of teeth.  I made a break for it, trying desperately to sprint for the cellar door...  As I reached the door, I head the one of the wolves start to charge.  Thankfully, I was able to slip inside and get away clean.

I had to use my lantern just to look around for loose items.  Much to my surprise, I found a revolver (and in decent shape too) sitting on a shelf.  I gathered what items I could and bed down for the night.  I hadn't planned on having to hole up here, so I was going to have to make it at least one night without eating.

Early the next morning I carefully crept out of the basement.  Thankfully the way was clear, but I stayed crouched until I got closer to the path leading towards Burned Ridge Cave.  As I passed by the rock wall, I noted there was no prepper cache here by Skeeter's Ridge (duly noted...).  As I approached Burned Ridge Cave, I found a prop-carcass... there was no way I was going to pass up this kind of gift.  I used the knife to harvest up what remained on the ravaged carcass.  I dropped the pelt and guts in the back of Burned Ridge Cave to cure, and left the venison at the mouth of the cave.

I quickly made my way down the hillside to the Draft Dodger's Cabin.  I made a quick stop, but I didn't find much of interest inside.  I pressed onward towards across the river, and to the first Outbuilding nearer to the Birch Forest on the way to the Red Barn.  Checking the cabs of the tractors along the way yielded two packs of carboard matches, which was luckier than I was expecting.  I ducked inside the barn, but I only have given it a cursory once over and stayed just long enough to craft two snares.  I wanted to make my way to Thompson's Crossing, but just as I'd made it across the bridge the heavy snowfall took a horrible turn for the worse.  Instead of turning back, I decided to press on and try to find my way through to the Community Hall.

I did loose track of where I was going for a brief moment, but was able to get back on track with I found the shore along the rivers edge.  I was able to just follow that up and check the hut by the pier before getting inside the Community Hall for the evening.  It was still a couple hours before dark, so I spent the time trying to gather up what I could find (which turned out to not be much - most of the containers were empty).  Eventually was got settled in to sleep for the night.  I still didn't have anything to eat... I'm able to make it another night without eating, but tomorrow food is going to be a critical priority.  Hopefully the blizzard dies down by morning.

• Upvote 2

Thankfully the weather cleared, and I was able to spend the next couple of days trying to get reestablished.

I was already half-dead from starvation (as I hadn't had anything to eat for the last two nights), and today food/water is going to have to be first priority.  I quickly went out to check around by the Church.  Thankfully, I spotted rabbits milling around rock formation just behind it.  I decided to leave those rabbits alone for time being, so I just quickly set up my two snares.  It was tempted to just use some stones to snatch them up right away, but I knew it was likely that I may have to come back for them later if I don't find enough rabbits further afield.

I stopped by the general store across the street (found a sewing book, some water purification tablets, and some found-food items, but not anything too noteworthy).  From there I decided to scout around the way towards the cave nestled into the cliffside.  I carefully checked to wolves, but quickly made my way back to the cave once I saw the way was clear.  I still had to be careful since sometimes a wolf can be prowling around on the far side of the nearby rock formation.  Thankfully there were two rabbits scurrying around, but even better... I found a ravaged deer carcass!  I opted to leave these rabbits alone as well, and made quick work of the deer carcass using my the hunting knife I found up by Skeeter's Ridge.

I hauled what I harvested from the deer back to the Community Hall and got a fire going.  I didn't have as many sticks as I would have liked... and still only having one recycled can isn't ideal.  While I do have a couple of packs of water purification tablets, I'd still like to at least find another can or ideally a cooking pot.  I left a piece of venison and my can of water on the heat, and ran next door to search through the house closest to the main road.  I just took a quick look around for loose items, and thankfully there was a cooking pot sitting in the sink.  I immediately went back to the Community Hall to put the cooking pot to use.  With the cooking pot, those packs of water purification tablets will get my water supply nice and healthy in a relatively short time.

After letting the fire die down, I ate my rabbit meat, and went to bed.

The following morning, I checked on my snares.  Only one caught a rabbit, so I spent sometime catching the other two that were still milling around nearby.  Three rabbits should yield enough to get me through a couple of days at least.  I spent the rest of the day gathering up sticks, as well as harvesting/cooking the rabbits.  I used the cooking pot for a little more water, but I didn't get more than two batches done.  I didn't want to stay up all night for a long burn just yet.

Hopefully tomorrow, I can get as far as the Pleasant Valley Farmstead... maybe a trip up to Signal Hill.
I'll have to think on it, and wait to see what the weather does tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

The following morning, I checked on my snares.  Only one caught a rabbit,

How many snares do you deploy on average?  I suppose only one or two, as they are quite heavy to carry when traveling?
In my experience using snares, I prefer to set upwards of 6 or more traps and usually yield roughly a 65% fill ratio.  Since 
the rabbit warrens seem to refill themselves quite nicely each day, a constant daily supply of 3 or more hares can keep you
well fed in no time.

• Like 1

@piddy3825

In past runs, I'd found I can usually get what I need by setting four snares in (ideally near the center of) a rabbit grove.  Right now, I've only made two because I had only brought the cured gut/pelts with me... so I had to find reclaimed wood while making my way to the barn (and at that point I'd only found two pieces).  Besides that, I didn't want to spend more than one hour crafting anyway.  I really wanted to make it to the Community Hall rather than get stuck at the barn for a night.  Considering how it all played out... it was a good thing I did. :D 

I will probably make two more relatively soon.  I have some more pieces of reclaimed wood now, and I am planning on a trip that will pass by the Red Barn.  Depending on whether I find two rabbits caught in the morning or just one... I may put off making a longer trek until I can build up, a few more days worth of meat.  Not really necessary I suppose... I do generally fair pretty well at eating on the trail, but still it would be nice to build up a bit of a buffer in case of emergency.

I'm not sure I'd want more than four snares, I already have far more rabbit pelts than I need already.  I suppose that's a good indication that should finally make that hat and a pair of mittens out of them.  :D 

Now that I'm in a spot where I can transition from indoors and outdoors (via loading screen) the catch rates will likely be much better.  In a previous run, had tried setting up 6-8 snares at the rabbit grove near the Mountaineer's Hut.  That's when I had discovered that without that loading screen transition from indoors to outdoors... the catch rates plummeted.  At the time of testing it, only 1 of the 6-8 snares would have caught a rabbit over the course of 3 (sometimes up to 5) days.  Later on when I tested the same thing from the Trapper's Cabin in Mystery Lake, the rates were much better... and that loading transition seemed the only difference.

I did submit a ticket about the disparity in the mechanics between those two scenarios, but considering the other issues they're working on right now... I'm not sure it would be high on the list of priorities.  In the meantime it's just something that I keep in mind: snares aren't so effective if I'm "cave living."   Which is why I didn't bother with snares when I was living out of the Mountaineer's Hut, and waited until I got to PV before even trying it.

I imagine the snares will get going now that I have a spot established... I may have to move them around a little bit to find the "sweet spot," but once I do, I'll indeed be well fed in no time.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@ManicManiac you said "That's when I had discovered that without that loading screen transition from indoors to outdoors... the catch rates plummeted."

That is indeed an interesting observation!  Now that you've mentioned it, I've been comparing some snare efficiency ratios and can indeed corroborate this discovery.
I've also noticed based on the degree of the rabbits freezing when I go to find them, it seems that they are pretty much "caught" in the snare as I leave to go outside, 
ie, when I transition from an interior cell to the outside via a loading screen.  

ha, I learn something new about this game every day!  Thanks!

• Like 1

@piddy3825

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

it seems that they are pretty much "caught" in the snare as I leave to go outside

Yes indeed.  It appears that at the transition (when the region is effectively reloading) it forces a check on the snares and determines their state.  Apparently, if we just dwell in the region this check either doesn't happen or doesn't trigger in the same way (perhaps getting far enough away for it to be out of render distance maybe?).  That would explain why my rates were so abysmal from my previous stay at the Mountaineer's Hut... during those tests, I didn't often stray far from where my snares were set.  That certainly may have been a factor. 

At that time, I was also advised by others in the community that perhaps I could work around it by simply using the region transition to leave and re-enter the region.  It made sense, since it would achieve that same effect... but I didn't want to have to bother leaving the region every day to force the snares to roll their check and determine their state.

It's hard to know for sure what's really happening "under the hood," since I don't know definitively what the mechanisms are... let alone if they are working properly.  :D 

I appreciate the feedback, and confirmation of what you are experiencing as well.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Very interesting observation!

I have been staying at Mountaineer's Hut for many weeks in my current game. My catch rates with the snares has been quite low, and I was deploying at least 3, but most of the time 4 and on occasion 5 when they were set.

I thought it was a case of the available population being lower because of the many wolves preying on them. After getting 2 moose, 3 bears, plus many deer, I had built up a ridiculous overload of meat, so I stopped setting the snares.

===================

I am quite impressed with your confidence in setting out with so little gear! I created a personal "challenge" based on the TV show "Alone" and took only 10 items (not counting clothing, 2 liters of water and either a couple beef jerky packs or an MRE) every time I changed zones. It was fun, but I had a few hungry nights & days, often harvesting & eating cat tails along the way just for a few calories.

• Like 1

I took another day sticking close to Thompson's Crossing.  I got rabbits from both snares this time, so that's promising.  I got them harvested up, but I don't think I will cook the meat just yet.  I have another night's worth or meat, and tomorrow I think I'll make the trek over to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.  The houses here didn't have much... got some clothing and little more found-food for the new stockpile.  I would really like to find another cooking pot, and the Pleasant Valley Farmstead seems like the next likely spot to hopefully find one.

Earlier today I did head a little further down the road, but only went as far as the broken down car on the road in front of the Red Barn.  I was tempted to just finish the hike over to the PV Farmstead, but it was already well into midday and the weather was threatening another blizzard.  I had decided to stick to the plan and headed back to spend the rest of the day organizing everything that I've managed to gather so far.  My clothing took a little bit of a beating during the last blizzard, so I do have to do some mending sometime soon.  I haven't gotten around to it yet, since I've been a bit preoccupied with trying to build up a little bit larger supply of rabbit meat.

I definitely want to head out in the morning.  I do have a lot of ground I want to cover, and I don't want to linger too long at any one spot.  However, I do think it was wise to at least build up a couple days' worth of meat to return to later (or as a fallback in case of emergency).  I think I will take the snares with me, so I can stay mobile while keeping a decent amount of rabbit meat on hand.  Hopefully I was wrong about the weather... I'm hoping it will clear up by morning so I can start the next hike nice and early.

• Upvote 1

I stayed up a bit late harvesting up some spare clothing and ended up sleeping until around midmorning.  During the night I'd heard another blizzard blow through.  I was hoping that would mean that the day might see clear weather.

I was wrong... very incorrect.  :D 

While it's wasn't full white-out blizzard, it there were still bitterly cold high winds and heavy snowfall.  The snowstorm was threatening a blizzard every step of the way.  At first, I thought I might wait it out.  I went out and gathered up two rabbits from my snares, took them inside, and harvested them.  By this time, it was well into the afternoon.  However, the snowfall was just as heavy, and the winds still hadn't died down.  I decided I would just have to get going, and if I was caught out in another blizzard, I would just have to stick to the road until I made it to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.

To matters worse, I had a bit of Cabin Fever Risk from the night before, so I'd have to try to stay outside as much as possible to try and mitigate it.  The gusty winds and heavy snow continued every step of the way.  By the time I reached the farmstead it was getting close to nightfall.  I set my snares by the small barn near the road and made my way to the House.  I was able to take a quick look around inside, but I decided to pass a few hours in shed that was just outside (trying to shake the Cabin Fever Risk).  Just as I was getting ready to go in, it had become deadly dark... and the snowfall was as heavy as ever.  I also heard the sounds of a bear milling around just outside, as well as the sound of some nearby wolves panicking.  This was not ideal...

I waited there patiently until I could hardly hear the bear, but I still felt the need to be very cautious.  I slowly crept out and used a lantern I'd brought with me from the Community Hall.  It didn't have much lantern fuel, but it seemed like a worthy time to use it.  :D   Thankfully the way was clear, and I was able to get inside without stumbling into the bear.  The next morning, I finished searching through the house and started organizing things in order to start getting the place set up to be my second encampment in the region.  Fortunately, I was able to find a second cooking pot as well as some Water Purification Tablets, a nice pair of Leather Gauntlets, and a prybar.  (Finally, I'd be able to start prying open all the lockers and car trunks I've had to pass up.)

I ventured out to the small barn near the road and found that my snares had caught two rabbits.  It seemed like a good time to take advantage of the fire barrel inside.  I would have brought my catch to the house... but there were still wolves prowling around in the orchard near the front of the house (so for now, it seemed safer to just harvest and cook the rabbits there in the barn).  I spent the better part of the day gathering up sticks from nearby and cleaned the rabbit carcasses from the safely of the small barn.  I got a fire going and had enough sticks to cook all the rabbit meat... as well as get two batches of water purified (thanks to the tablets that helped to speed up the process).  I now had enough food and water to get me though two more days.  I ate well enough to get a good night's rest and settled in for the evening.

I think tomorrow, I may see if I can make it up to Signal Hill.

• Upvote 1

@twyn1

Thank you.
I really do enjoy traveling with just my "bare essentials" kit.  I find it keeps one's wits sharper if they never feel safe.  I've been looking at revising my bare essentials to see if I can pair it down even more.

I find that the less I carry with me, the better I enjoy the longer treks and the struggles of getting reestablished as I make my way through each region.

• Upvote 1

Now that I've found a pair of Gauntlets.  I'm reconsidering whether or not to make Rabbitskin Mitts at all.

On the one hand, I suppose I do have far more rabbit pelts than I do pieces of leather at this point.  :D
However, on the other hand... since I already have the Gauntlets on hand, I would eventually have to use leather to maintain them anyway (as it would seem a shame to just tear them up).

• Upvote 1