A New Day... Another New Beginning

ManicManiac

So far, the weather's holding up well.  However, when I went to investigate around the dock...
20220528223632_1.thumb.jpg.7b850e2e4805b3b98a095c88d3a3feb9.jpg
Hmm, definitely not a good day to harvest.  I don't want to have to deal with the wolves if I don't have to.  I'm going to have to hope they will move on to another area tomorrow (or at least before the carcasses decay).

I managed to get a little more mapping done before I got too cold.  I was able to get the area around the nearby abandoned vehicle and The Tooth surveyed.  However, I ultimately had to return to the Fishing Camp to warm up.  The winds have been kicking up rather high today... but at least it's not a blizzard.  I hope to be able to map my way up past Bear Creek Campgrounds and onward to the cabin at Rabbit Grove.  Though for now, I'm just going to spend a little time to warm up and organize a little bit more.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1

After getting warmed up, I mapped my way up to Bear Creek Campground and further along up the river to the Rabbit Grove.  By then it was getting to be nightfall.  The weather had been threatening a blizzard all day (heavy snowfall and gusty winds), but as the sun went down the weather cleared.  Not long after, an aurora had started.  I decided to spend the night at the cabin at Rabbit Grove and continue on up the slope in the morning.

For the better part of the next day, I was able to map from the exit to Raven Falls Ravine, past the Train Unloading area.  I carefully climbed up the rock formation just a head of the switch back and mapped out the "meadow" including the lone cabin was situated there.  Then I followed the roadway back towards the switchback to survey the area around the trailer that positioned right near the log bridge that connects that switch back up towards the Train Unloading area.

By now it was getting into the afternoon.  I decided to head back down to the Fishing Village to see if the wolves had moved on.
20220529090047_1.thumb.jpg.e570921af01f2de9d484d1bb9927db66.jpg
They have not.  I suppose the plan was going to have to be to maybe get fish to eat at my fishing hut and try spending the night at the cabin over at Jackrabbit Island.  I suppose if it takes too much longer, I could try kiting the wolves away and sic them on some other deer nearby.  Which might seem like a waste of deer meat, but I guess if I'm not planning to hunt them myself... perhaps it's worth it to be able to get that wolf and deer harvested before it's too late.

Assuming favorable weather, I think I'll try to get back up to the Mine entrance next and see about mapping clear across to the Silent Clearing (and all the little stops in between).  Then maybe down to visit and survey the Coastal Townsite.  After that... I'd really just need to do little bits of clean up and I'll be about finished with my mapping task for the region; there's no rush though.

• Upvote 1

When I commented on the nice weather, I might have jinxed myself. :D 

When I woke the next morning, I stepped outside to a rather heavy snowfall.  Over the next 30 seconds or so, I watched as the visibility plummeted to zero...
20220530151349_1.thumb.jpg.f4dd9c4986ffe6ca8d7d798ac4ac439a.jpg
I waited out the storm and took a couple light naps to help pass the time.

20220530165955_1.thumb.jpg.e242bf14c3bd6c247c986398441ab422.jpg
20220530170021_1.thumb.jpg.033866be09d74058941fbbba0490e7c2.jpg
I spotted a few wolves prowling around near by... so I was hopeful that the docks would free and clear.

Thankfully, when I got back down to the docks, there wasn't a wolf in sight.  I was able to harvest up both the deer and wolf by hand (which combined took about 5 hours :D).  From there I picked up everything and dropped off the pelts and raw gut inside at the cabin I like to use at the Fishing Village.  I also took the chance of hauling all the meat to my chosen fishing hut (to cook it up later).  

It was a tense trek back out on the ice... I was constantly scanning my surroundings to make sure wolves weren't sneaking up on me.  Much to my good fortune, I was able to drop off the meat and get back to the safety of the Fishing Camp without incident.  

• Upvote 1

@James Hickok

I'm just glad I outlasted that rash of blizzards that came through before, that was a wild time. :D

This one's a Stalker run, with a few added self imposed restrictions:  

On 1/21/2022 at 2:46 PM, ManicManiac said:

Starting conditions:  Stalker, random start, no feats.

I don't really have any solid plans for the run, but I have a few ideas in mind.  I'm not gong to be as restrictive on myself as I have in other runs (I kind of want to use this run to help relax as I continue dealing with more real-life stuff).

• I plan to map each region (again) as completely as is practical.
  • I intend to abstain from eating any "found" foods for as long as I can.  The idea being to stockpile the man-made/processed food I find until I can get the mapping done.  Until then I want to just survive on what I can hunt, fish, or scrape off ravaged carcass. 
  • I intend to abstain from harvesting Cattail Stalks, Lichen, Reishi, Rosehips, Limbs, or Saplings.  I'd like to leave those natural resources untouched and have the locations of all those natural resources marked on my maps.  Then, after the maps are complete, it will all be fair game for the rest of the run.

As I said, not too restrictive...  I did want something a little bit more austere than a regular Stalker run (until the maps are done at least), but I still wanted to be able to have access to all the tools and gear if I wanted to.  I figured this would be a nice enough compromise.

• Like 1

There was a pretty strong aurora at the end of my last session... and since I was just cooking, I had plenty of time to take some snapshots (I know there are thousands of stills of the aurora out there, but it just never gets old for me :))

A warning... I took lots of them. :D 

20220531054044_1.thumb.jpg.9006b1361a5b3f8da2560116feaa881b.jpg
20220531054844_1.thumb.jpg.4979f6a9a0e822757725cbfea3506e8f.jpg
20220531054922_1.thumb.jpg.5c7738bed56f850afa490571495f3ca6.jpg
20220531055101_1.thumb.jpg.cddaa65d03551ed7665342e68698bee2.jpg
20220531055402_1.thumb.jpg.8529e6ceea4a78639ca8232fcdb53f5f.jpg
20220531055430_1.thumb.jpg.4ba411cee2a2d43616c7c61fdc6ad500.jpg
20220531055502_1.thumb.jpg.1bf4d9607031fa6c24ff632137c9a05e.jpg
20220531055544_1.thumb.jpg.7fcbe292904da694536f5faa50e89158.jpg
20220531055550_1.thumb.jpg.1bff79f7316d7871135e1e9f3270e144.jpg
20220531055609_1.thumb.jpg.577b5ee802dd7f30c57d4c24ef6ac474.jpg
20220531055623_1.thumb.jpg.cc3b22307a92e0f9b09d3075c2303c7d.jpg
20220531055727_1.thumb.jpg.af14330a68c5a7df7754915d6002efa4.jpg
20220531055736_1.thumb.jpg.871f7cdd9640eed72a0c94205e77fd72.jpg
20220531055903_1.thumb.jpg.dd855df57601d1094a662c936e4bccc4.jpg
20220531055956_1.thumb.jpg.8ef68403560a04c5bff66d3e3ed93a9e.jpg
20220531060150_1.thumb.jpg.2d9888d09fb1687c182f461bc2236ab3.jpg
20220531060300_1.thumb.jpg.63154f3dde4e5f54be24dc59ac3857de.jpg
20220531060312_1.thumb.jpg.ae6d70533c24d1603960855e61bca16f.jpg
20220531060332_1.thumb.jpg.50119f83863838a1fe0239e7d26a386a.jpg
20220531060350_1.thumb.jpg.e4baed51506900aacbaf438fde376e35.jpg
20220531061245_1.thumb.jpg.bbebbfb58083e4384b256556526d3de4.jpg
20220531061350_1.thumb.jpg.dfadf9757f8b0aa684887b5acac6d194.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 2

I'd forgotten that I had to leave off in the middle of night last time... 🤔

I spent the rest of the night watching the aurora fade, and finish cooking (wolf meat/venison).  I didn't get finished until I'd guess about 4 a.m.  I ate a little bit, carefully made my way back to the fishing camp, and decided I'd only sleep for about 6 hours.  The last thing I wanted to do was sleep away the day.

I was still feeling pretty tired when I woke up and feeling about half-dead (I'd pushed it a little too far, I hadn't eaten much over the previous couple of days and my condition had gotten dangerously low).  I knew if I took it easy and had a decent meal tonight, I'd be alright.  Rather than try to the possibly riskier task of working on the map... I decided I would spend the day beachcombing.  

I didn't have as much finding things out on the ice this time, but what I did find was fairly good stuff.  Sure, there were some sticks, piece of fir wood... but there was also: three rifle casings, a pair of running shoes, a Largemouth Bass... all-in-all, not bad.  :D 

I was able to haul the Bass all the way from the distant reaches far beyond Misanthrope's Homestead back to the Fishing Hut between the islands (Misanthrope's & Jackrabbit).  But to do it, I had to give a couple packs of wolves a very wide birth.  There were times when I could have sworn one caught my scent and started heading my direction... I had to quickly get low and drop the fish, then just kind of hold my breath to see if I was going have to fend them off with the rocks in my pockets. :D  Eventually, I made it that midway point between the two islands and dropped off the bass there (maybe future me will need it).

All the while, the weather had been threatening a blizzard for maybe the last hour... I knew I'd best just stop off at my Fishing Hut, eat hearty, and get to bed...  And that's precisely what I did.

20220601212507_1.thumb.jpg.affca5a31c14bbc11d570c7645cfca55.jpg
(The Home Stretch)

Though it was a fairly easy going day... the hike back to Fishing Camp was very tense.  Between the wolves and the worsening weather, the day could have ended with me getting mauled in a blizzard.  Thankfully, I made it back ahead of the weather and without any toothy hellos.

I slept hard through the night... even managed to sleep through the blizzard that I knew was coming. :) 
I woke the next morning feeling nice and healthy again.  Now that I'm caught up with my survival tasks for a bit.  I can ease of on my food rationing a little and get back to focusing on finishing up this map.   Last night's long burn gave me about 25 more charcoal to work with too. 

• Upvote 2

I didn't mange to get a session in yesterday, but since I don't have much farther to go my mapping task... I figured it would be a good time to start thinking about where to go next.  Part of me wants to go onward through Old Island Connector to Desolation Point.

However, I know that pretty closely mirrors the region route I took in my last larger scale personal challenge, maybe it would be better to mix it.  Another part of me thinks I should go back to Ash Canyon and finish what I started there. 

There's another part of me that kind of wants to use an RNG to select my next region... just to test my flexibility.  The past I was fairly strategic about the route across Great Bear Island that I took.  Maybe it'd be interesting to switch it up, I don't know.  🤔

Input, ideas, and suggestions welcomed. 

Edited by ManicManiac
I keep finding random typos... embarrassing.
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I didn't mange to get a session in yesterday, but since I don't have much father to go my mapping task... I figured it would be a good time to start thinking about where to go next.  Part of me wants to go onward through Old Island Connector to Desolation Point.

However, I know that pretty closely mirrors the region route I took in my last larger scale personal challenge, maybe it would be better to mix it.  Another part of me thinks I should go back to Ash Canyon and finish what I started there. 

There's another part of me that kind of wants to use an RNG to select my next region... just to test my flexibility.  The past I was fairly strategic about the route across Great Bear Island that I took.  Maybe it'd be interesting to switch it up, I don't know.  🤔

Input, ideas, and suggestions welcomed. 

When I get days like that I just take a deep breathe head in one direction.and if it feels wrong I turn round and go the other way.  Gut instinct isn't just for surviving 🙂 

• Like 1

@Leeanda

I've had many of occasions where I'd set off from the Community Hall only to get a read on the weather and "nope" right back inside; only to be vindicated when a brutal storm hits just a little while later. :D 

While I suppose that's not really the same thing, I think I know what you mean.

I suppose I'll have to mull it over some more.  I really do miss Desolation Point, but I'm not sure I like the idea of going the same route as I did with my "FC personal challenge."  Granted, I suppose there's nothing wrong with using a similar region progression... I guess I just question whether or not I should mix it up a bit.  I'm sure the answer will come to me. :D 

• Upvote 1

I get that. 😊.  I've also had times when I've hidden away sure a storms coming and nothing ,until I get somewhere with no shelter ,then I get caught out!😁 

Desolation is a beautiful place . I really don't go there as often as I'd like though just because it's at the end of the map,as it were. Same goes for broken railroad too.   I was hoping that Blackrock would somehow link these areas . Sadly not,maybe when perseverance is added?!😁. (hint htl). 

Really though you just have to follow your heart .

• Like 1

@Leeanda

Thank you.

I imagine I'll be able to get back on the trail later today.
I'm pretty sure that by the time I'm actually done mapping Coastal Highway, I'll know what the next step will be.  That's usually the way it goes for my runs.

I guess I have a tendency to start rummaging through all the possibilities earlier than I really need to.  :D 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

Thank you.

I imagine I'll be able to get back on the trail later today.
I'm pretty sure that by the time I'm actually done mapping Coastal Highway, I'll know what the next step will be.  That's usually the way it goes for my runs.

I guess I have a tendency to start rummaging through all the possibilities earlier than I really need to.  :D 

That's a better strategy than mine,by a long shot! Most of the time I just 'wing it". And run into all sorts of problems.. occasionally right into bears behind  too! (Literally).  Glad I'm on pilgrim.😁 

Be prepared is a good motto .

• Like 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
I think there's a lot of good to be said for those players who wing it.  The run then hinges more on individual skill, and even luck to certain extents... which I think makes for very exciting runs. 🌞

In my case ,pure luck!😁. And rare lucky bug.

• Like 1

Thank you, you're very kind.. 

Honestly though if I wasn't lucky on the naked challenge I probably would've died in blackrock.   Definitely a  valuable experience though. 

I used to have a penknife like that,more often than not I'd cut myself trying to open it!😁

• Like 1

I hoped out of bed, gave my pack a quick once over to drop any unnecessary items, and stepped outside to get an early start on the day.

As I stepped out of the cabin... I was nearly face to face with a bear!  Panicked, I braced for a mauling... but at the same time it seems we scared each other.  The bear then took off running... a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
20220603185403_1.thumb.jpg.284f147093cd4f1e3c805a886124114c.jpg

After that close call, I went on about my day.  Working my way along the road until I got to Log Sort, surveyed the area, and continued on mapping my way back up to the Cinder Hills Mine entrance.  From there I did some goating around above the roadway mapping until I got to the turn off to the Abandoned Lookout.  By then it was getting close to sundown, but I thought it might be better to continue on.  I was hoping to make it over to the climb leading down to Silent Clearing... but by the time I got there it was too dark to survey.

I decided to scoot down the slope and back around to the nearby trailer.  As I stepped around the corner heading towards the door... I got jumped scared by another bear who was shambling up the trail.
20220603205153_1.thumb.jpg.e82f76a4b5fa1b3968afdcc0310761b6.jpg

What a way to bookend the day. :D 

I was hoping to get a little more mapping done, but I suppose after a good night's sleep... I could try heading back up the switchback (though knowing my luck, I will have to watch for a wolf - I know they sometimes prowl along that curve).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Early the next morning I'd managed to get back up to the switchback (thankfully all clear), and map both that upper shelf and Silent Clearing down below.  The Costal Townsite was swarming with wolves so I decided I would save that adventure for another time.  I ended up cleaning up a few places on the map all they down to the Abandoned Mineshaft entrance.  With the exception of a few spots further up above the rockslide... and all the way at the other end of the road near Commuter's Lament; the map is very nearly complete.

Since I'd gone yesterday, through the night, and all of today with no food on hand... I was feeling a little more than half dead.  It's really risky for me to keep ending up at stop overs with no food; I'm going to have to try to more consistently return to my fishing hut for food at night (meaning I'll have to limit my travels somewhat - since carrying cooked meat is a bit risky in its own right).

A thick fog had rolled in, but I'd managed to "feel" my way back to my fishing hut.  I ate, picked up some water, and carefully made it back to the fishing camp to bed down for the night.

I set out the next morning with the intent to finish more of the map, but I did end up a couple of sidetracks.

I remembered there was a climbing rope laying near the crafting bench, and I needed one to deploy up by the abandoned lookout.  I figured this would be a good opportunity to repel down. take a look at what's on the ledge below, and to survey & search the cabins at the bottom.

I also spent probably more time that I should have, trying to figure out why the vista location marked on my map wouldn't trigger and let me use it for surveying (maybe since I haven't found the corresponding polaroid?).

As I repelled down the last climb, I had to be wary of this fellow:
20220604195918_1.thumb.jpg.810771032f2abb0f773480c7ee4a0aa9.jpg
Nothing too much to worry about... it just slowed me down a little bit (keeping a respectful distance while waiting for it to amble off down the road).

From there I did a little more cleanup work, before heading back for food and another night's rest.

Once I get these last couple of spots surveyed.  I think I'll fish, maybe think about hunting, and wait for the next early evening aurora... so I can head down into the abandon mineshaft.

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda
I thought that would probably be the case.  Thank you, I'll add it to my list of things to do while waiting for an early evening aurora. 

I don't think I mentioned it, over the last few sessions I've certainly been able to confirm that this run has three active bears lurking around Coastal Highway.  I'm even contemplating hunting one, though if I'm honest with myself... thanks to ice fishing, I don't really "need" to hunt anything.  I haven't even needed the three snares I crafted for this region (I kind of just made them for the sake of keeping a more complete set of tools here at the Fishing Camp).

I do still need to look for a good day to visit the Coastal Townsite, but if it's consistently swarming with wolves... then I guess I'll just Metal Gear my way through it (it's good practice for eventually getting though OIC undetected - such an unnecessary side challenge, but I love doing it). :D 

I think for the next session though, I'll focus on each of the far ends of the highway.  Those are the last areas to really clean up before I call it finished.  Even though the counter in the Journal is broken, most of the time it will still check off what each major location I've done (except for PV for some reason, I may have to revisit and narrow down which ones didn't take; to try them again).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1