A New Day... Another New Beginning

ManicManiac

I'd managed to gather up about 98 sticks on my last trip out.  So before setting out to try and get the area around the mine mapped, I took advantage of another rare morning of clear skies to get a fire in the burn barrel going.  I was able to max the capacity of the burn barrel, so I was reasonably sure it would still be burning by the time I got back.  This way I could build it up some more and hopefully get 20-24 pieces of charcoal.  That would certainly make the stretch from the End of the Road up to Misty Falls easier to manage.

I soon found out that the terrain near and around the Mine Entrance and Upper Falls took up more charcoal than I was hoping for.  Even standing at some of the higher elevations I could reach... the edges didn't seem to clear very well, but I suppose good enough for my purposes.  I did do a little bit of goating, but nothing too risky and cleared all the surrounding area up to the main road (and all the way to the bend just before the End of The Road).  I will have to make another trip clear up the area just on the other side of the road (the large rock formation next to the houses on the outskirts of Thompson's Crossing).

As I was making my way back to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead, the weather took a drastic turn, and I was caught out in a blizzard.  At that point I was already beyond the Old Red Barn (Pleasant Valley Outbuildings), and I was able to make my way through the field/across the river to safety.  I did have to be warry of the wolves who were also caught out in the storm, but thankfully I was able to navigate through them (even though I wouldn't have been able to see them until it was too late).  Thankfully, as I was making my way up to the silo, I could see the warm glow of the fire still hot and strong.  There was still about two hours of burn time left, so I decided to drop in most of the sticks I'd collected and let it continue burning throughout the night.

Even though the blizzard had passed, the weather was still ugly the next morning.  I gathered up my charcoal (19 pieces this time) but I guess I should have piled on some more sticks.  I had been hoping for 20-24, but I suppose 19 is good enough.  As I made my way back out across the field towards the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings... another blizzard struck.  I managed to get into the Old Red Barn to hole up and weather the storm.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I didn't figure the kind weather would last long... :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I'd managed to gather up about 98 sticks on my last trip out.  So before setting out to try and get the area around the mine mapped, I took advantage of another rare morning of clear skies to get a fire in the burn barrel going.  I was able to max the capacity of the burn barrel, so I was reasonably sure it would still be burning by the time I got back.  This way I could build it up some more and hopefully get 20-24 pieces of charcoal.  That would certainly make the stretch from the End of the Road up to Misty Falls easier to manage.

I soon found out that the terrain near and around the Mine Entrance and Upper Falls took up more charcoal than I was hoping for.  Even standing at some of the higher elevations I could reach... the edges didn't seem to clear very well, but I suppose good enough for my purposes.  I did do a little bit of goating, but nothing too risky and cleared all the surrounding area up to the main road (and all the way to the bend just before the End of The Road).  I will have to make another trip clear up the area just on the other side of the road (the large rock formation next to the houses on outside of Thompson's Crossing).

As I was making my way back to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead, the weather took a drastic turn, and I was caught out in a blizzard.  At that point I was already beyond the Old Red Barn (Pleasant Valley Outbuildings), and I was able to make my way through the field/across the river to safety.  I did have to be warry of the wolves who were also caught out in the storm, but thankfully I was able to navigate through them (even though I wouldn't have been able to see them until it was too late).  Thankfully, as I was making my way up to the silo, I could see the warm glow of the fire still hot and strong.  There was still about two hours of burn time left, so I decided to drop in most of the sticks I'd collected and let it continue burning throughout the night.

Even though the blizzard had passed, the weather was still ugly the next morning.  I gathered up my charcoal (19 pieces this time) but I guess I should have piled on some more sticks.  I had been hoping for 20-24, but I suppose 19 is good enough.  As I made my way back out across the field towards the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings... another blizzard struck.  I managed to get into the Old Red Barn to hole up and weather the storm.

I didn't figure the kind weather would last long... :D 

Glad to see you're doing well and battling that good old weather! Gotta love PV 🙂👍

• Like 1

Ah yes, Pleasant Valley! So ironically misnamed!

I never thought to keep track of the charcoal I Used when mapping for Faithful Cartographer, but I'm thinking it was between 180 - 200 pieces easily. And this was with taking advantage of several "Vista" spots to get 5 or more named areas all at once and already having quite a bit of some maps already covered.

Continued Good Luck!!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@Leeanda

Pleasant Valley weather is certainly an old friend.  Though I admit that when the region first came into play, I both dreaded and avoided it.  It was only after I'd forced myself to live there for an extended period of time, did I come to "understand" and really appreciate it.  Now it's among my favorite regions. 

@twyn1

Oh wow, I admire the efficiency.  I have always had a tendency to get perhaps a little too fastidious when it comes to my maps in this game.  As a result, I think I tend to use up far more charcoal that I suppose I should (probably wasting more than a little trying to clean up even tiny smudges).  Though, I've come to accept things being a little "fuzzy" around the edges (after losing too many runs to the hazards of goating around and finding several kill-walls).

Hopefully the blizzard will subside soon... I like the Old Red Barn, but it's rough just sitting here waiting out a blizzard with little else to occupy time.  :D 

• Upvote 1

...so the blizzard raged on well into the night.  I found myself having to sleep in the truck without eating that night.  As I was waking up early the next morning... another blizzard. 😒

I generally like to avoid just "passing time" (I just don't like doing it), but I think I'm going to have to make an exception today. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I'd already decided that if the weather was going carry on this way, it might be wiser to hole up at the Community Hall again while mapping the long stretch from the End of the Road up to Misty Falls.

When the storm finally broke, I took the opportunity to finish mapping the Birch Forest (and goating up large rock formation overlooking the Lonely Homestead - at the cost of two sprained ankles and a sprained wrist).  It had already been snowing pretty heavily when the weather started taking a turn for the worse.  I was already pretty weighed down with the load of sticks I'd brought with me from the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.  When the wind started to kick up... I dropped what I was doing and started heading back to Thompson's Crossing.

I had no desire to be caught out in another blizzard again so soon... :D (specially not while hobbled by sprains)

As I approached the area near the bridge (with a downed tree and rabbit grove)... I spotted a moose.  As quickly as I could manage, I immediately started backpedaling and took a wide path around to cross at the bridge.  I as I crested the incline leading up to the bridge... I caught site of three wolves milling around very near the road.  I got low and tried to thread the needle between terrible teeth, and heavy hooves.  Every show step was tense agony, but I eventually made it through and continued limping on to the Church at Thompson's Crossing.

From there I went on to the Community Hall.  I had plenty of meat stashed away, but I had to get a fire going to cook it.  This wasn't difficult, but I wanted to use as few sticks as I could to get both the meat done, and one batch of water with the cooking pots.  I stowed the sticks in the cabinets nearest the 6 burner stove for the night (at the very least just so I could limp around a little easier).  Once I got all that situated, I ate and slept.

The next morning I woke up feeling much better.  I gathered up all my sticks again (nearly 200 with the sticks that I'd already had tucked away from my previous stays).  I'd heard the sounds of an Aurora as I slept through the night, and thankfully there were still clear skies.  As the sun rose, I managed to use my maglens to get a fire going over by the small picnic area next to the Church.  As I built up a 12 hour fire... I spotted a couple of snow flakes starting to fall.  I'd only had a very small window of opportunity to use the maglens, and thankfully I got up as early as I did.

Weather permitting, we'll see how far I can make it on the 20 pieces of charcoal I have on hand.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

It was an interesting couple of days for me...

I left my fire burning in the barrel by the Church (after spending a few minutes there to warm up) and headed across the ice a little further up the river.  I got back on the main near the Mine access roadway and continued onward from there.  I wanted to get back to the End of the Road before starting to map... but as I approached, I spotted a wolf prowling around between a rock formation across the road and a broken-down car nearer to the End of the Road itself.  I got low and decided I would try to goat up the large rock formation.  It's a good vantage point, but I would have to be careful if I was going to slip by.

I was able to get to the top, map, and shimmy quietly down the other side without detection.  I wanted to get a higher vantage to map more cleanly down the road and managed a fairly good clear (considering I wasn't willing to do too much risky goating).  After that I had to work my way back down and follow the road between the cliffs to search and map the End of the Road itself.  Then I also had to sneak up a very narrow path between smaller rock formations in order to get back on the road leading further up towards.

As I made my way further up the road, I spotted another wolf...
This was not ideal.  I took a little more time to watch where it wandered to as it skulked around the area.  While it's wanderings were varied and inconsistent... I knew I'd have to try to sneak in if I was going to search the Derelict Cabins.  When I finally took the chance on sneaking inside, I had the closest call I've had to far on this run. :D 

20220315213112_1.thumb.jpg.55eb4e959a813a684ed08cbd13f22957.jpg
20220315211145_1.thumb.jpg.fae0018c19b92214d060ac76cebdd230.jpg
20220315212532_1.thumb.jpg.31894555ae3ec3d1b008258d94a6d8aa.jpg
20220315063511_1.thumb.jpg.4164daf9d29237475685a083110cb844.jpg
20220315063528_1.thumb.jpg.adde2d4e8622c5797dbcae94bbf07cc3.jpg
20220315062655_1.thumb.jpg.65c66b128b4fd27040d75ad524c2401c.jpg

The tension was nerve wracking... but I managed to get in, get out, and map the area without detection.
It was time to move on, and I burned up way too much daylight avoiding this potential wildlife struggle.  I continued onward, goating a short distance up the steep slopes to map more effectively (while still avoiding sprains so) along the ridge line to the nearby cave.  After searching the cave, I decided I would need to pick a place to bed down... it was starting to get late in the day.  I decided I would head down along the lower route and go for Draft Dodger's Cabin.

However, by the time I finished mapping around passed the waterfall (on the lower level)... the snowfall had gotten heavier and it was getting very dark, very quickly.  It wasn't long before it was deadly dark, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to make out the way to the cabin.  I had to use up nearly half a liter of lamp oil, to find my way.  I ate what cooked rabbit meat I'd left previously and for a solid 10 hours.

The next morning, I had to wait out a blizzard.  Thankfully, I only had to wait a couple hours after waking (I was able to pass most of that time harvesting a pair of boots I'd found during yesterday's trip).  I spent a little additional time to clean up a few smudges on my map in the are on the other side of the bridge.  I didn't have much charcoal left to work with, but I knew I was going to be heading back to Thompson's Crossing today (by now that fire would have long burned out and left me more to pick up).

As I crossed the river and through the birch forest near the Lonely Homestead, I had another close call.

20220315220709_1.thumb.jpg.4449268be105c9f1df5c2af758ca57c7.jpg

The last time I'd mapped through the area, I hadn't come across a bear... neither had I found a den nearby.  Needless to say, I was caught off guard when I spotted it.  I could hear it's growls rather loudly, as I'd found myself close enough for it to catch my scent and start to stalk me.  Needless to say, I "nope'd" right out of there, heading directly to the left (knowingly risking wolf ambush should there be any skulking along near the river bank).  Thankfully, the way was clear, and I headed straight for the spot across the river with the downed tree and rabbit grove.  However, I took carefully got up on a rock for a better vantage (remembering the last time I was in that area)... and sure enough, I spotted the moose.  :D 

20220315220848_1.thumb.jpg.b1d2fc9a009a14b6421ca7704f586ae9.jpg

I was easily able to give the area a wide berth, but I hadn't expected to come across this many hazards in such a short period of time. :D 

I made it back to the Community Hall, and started getting ready for another trek to get farther up the sideroad... I'm hoping to make it back up to Misty Falls next time.  Though, I know I will have to cover a lot of ground to get back to the cave just past the Derelict Cabins in order to continue my mapping task.

I was glad that had the presence of mind snap a few pictures along the way.
(Obscured snapshots to make it more convenient to read :))

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Unfortunately, more real-life stuff has been taking up just about all my free time, and I haven't been able to get a session in.  I hope to be able to get back to it soon.

Looking forward to reading it!  Hope you get some time to yourself soon🙂 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Unfortunately, more real-life stuff has been taking up just about all my free time, and I haven't been able to get a session in.  I hope to be able to get back to it soon.

Been enjoying reading your tales, but no worries! I get that life gets in the way so no need to apologise, this is a game after all so we get that you have bigger priorities. 

As already mentioned, I hope you'll get some time to yourself as well, soon :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up a lot earlier then I was hoping for the next morning, but still aimed at getting back to Mystic Falls from Thompson's Crossing as quickly as possible in order to get this map (mostly) finished up.  However, it was deathly cold out and ended up having duck into the Church for a couple of hours hoping it would warm up a little bit after sunrise.

...it did not...  

Not wanting to waste the day, I pressed on across the field behind Thompson's Crossing, skirted around the Lonely Homestead, and the ruined cabin that would point me right towards the cave just past the Derelict Cabins.  By that time, I was freezing and the weather taking a turn for the worse.  I took a one hour nap to try to warm up a little bit... and I woke to find that I was pinned down by a blizzard.  As much as I generally do not like to... I did end up just passing time hoping that the storm would abate shortly.

...it did not... 

The blizzard raged long into the night and I ended up just resting for the night in that cave.  I drink a couple of cups of Birch Bark Tea (to try and offset the ill effects of my otherwise empty stomach today).  Fortunately the temperature in the cave (offset of course due to the warmth of my clothes and bedroll) stayed within a hospitable range.  I wasn't sure if my gear was good enough to tough out a Pleasant Valley blizzard even in the back of the cave where it was a little warmer... but seemed to hold up nicely so I was more comfortable letting my guard down to rest for a longer stretch. 

Thankfully the blizzard cleared out by the time I got up the next morning.  However, it was still bitter cold outside and my clothing was not going to standup to it for the kind of time I wanted to spend outside to try and finish the expanse between this cave and the hillside overlooking the Mystic Falls Campground.  Having already gone one day next to no food... I knew it would be a rather dangerous idea to that two days in a row.  Rather than try to tough out the cold to finish the last large bit of hillside in the area, I decided to follow the river straight back to Mystic Falls.  At least there I could get some food, set snares to replenish what I eat, and have a solid footing to be able to really take my time and get area cleared more thoroughly (rather than trying to do so more quickly).

No sooner than I had gotten my snares setup over near the picnic area... another blizzard hit.

Once again, Pleasant Valley reminds me how indifferent Great Bear Island is to my plans and/or goals. :D 

I'm beginning to realize that I was perhaps too eager to jump back in and make a lot of immediate progress.  In retrospect, it probably would have been wiser to make a stop over at the Draft Dodger's Cabin (where I knew I had food and water already figured out).  It has been a little bit since I've made progress towards finishing my map, so I suppose I was chomping at the bit (somewhat).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Hope things work out for you  -- but I understand the drive to progress , esp. when you have it somewhat planned out already.

& I know it's just "perception", but at times I think the game KNOWS that I'm at a point where a small mistake could be costly.  Like when I make the rare decision to risk heading out with a minimal amount of food & water and no tinder supply & am later pinned down in a cave (or worse, outside!) with a blizzard raging and trying to get by on a fire made of a couple of sticks and one piece of cedar wood.

Or, when I leave my rifle back at the base and that elusive Moose finally makes an appearance! 😬

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@twyn1 I know what you mean.  Just the wind has a tendency to gust right in our survivor's face any time we'd like to get somewhere fast.  It seems like whatever sort of weighted algorithm dictates the direction change of the wind (I'm kind of convinced) is weighted heavy towards choosing whatever direction our survivor has been facing for a significant period of time (and thus more likely to be blowing in our faces at the most inopportune moments). :D 

Which incidentally, that's why will always turn to face what I'm using for cover - hoping that it would help improve my chances of the wind not swinging around from another angle to blow out my fire.. :) perhaps a bit of superstition as I can't say I know for sure how that mechanic functions under-the-hood.  It's the same for the "Storm Crows" even though Raph had mentioned on several occasions that the crows flying across the sky aren't linked to the weather translons.  I still like to think they are harbingers of the chaotic weather brought on presumably by the first flair and it's lingering effects on the world (or at least the world as far as our survivor knows it).

Again, I can't pretend to know for sure since I have no access to the finer details of how they crafted these mechanics... just hypothesis.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I'm hoping the blizzard will clear up overnight... I suppose I can hole up more or less indefinitely in the cave at the Misty Falls Picnic Area, but would still like to get the hillside finished from here all the way over to the Point of Disagreement.  From there, it should just be a few touch ups here and there.  Then I'll be able to get things sorted and get ready to finally head out to another region.  

I still really want some lichen... and since I'm leaving all the resources in place until my maps are done, beachcombing will be the only way for me to get those things (such as saplings, lichen, cattails, and so on).  However, on the other hand it also feels good to know I've been running around this long without the ability to disinfect wounds.  :D  Makes it all the more important and nerve wracking as I'm evading and avoiding predators.

I do really enjoy Pleasant Valley (foul weather and all), but I have been feeling the wanderlust... and I'll be glad when I can roam through to another region.  I'm still heavily leaning towards the idea of Coastal Highway.  It's got some good elevations for overlooks and a lot of wide open areas, so mapping that region has usually been a relatively quick task (provided enough charcoal).  However, I am also still considering one of the other regions connected Pleasant Valley... I suppose I just haven't made up my mind yet about that.  I think the beachcombing of course has a strong appeal... but strictly speaking, I keep on surviving without it.    (I guess I'll be thinking on it some more)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was a long night, and the storm raged on through the entire night.  I wasn't especially tired, so I ended up sitting just outside the cave to watch the storm.  Eventually (maybe sometime around 10 or 11 p.m.) I was tired enough to make it worthwhile to get some sleep.  I ate about 1 kg of rabbit meat, went inside and slept hard for about 8 hours.

I woke the following morning to surprisingly good weather.  I was able to make my way up the hill, but quickly had to crouch when I heard the pattering of wolf footsteps.  I took a risk and surveyed there nestled up against the rock formation at the top of the hill.  Thankfully the wolf hadn't caught my sent or wandered much closer... and I was able to scoot back down the hill and take the longer way around to map out the Point of Disagreement.  From there I goated around by the waterfall and managed to clear the rest of the area on the map.

It was a short session and while not too much excitement took place... at least I'm nearly done with my mapping of Pleasant Valley.  I do have a couple of spots to try and clean up, but after that I can think about where I'll head next.  :)

• Upvote 2

I carefully returned to my little cozy cave at the Misty Falls Picnic Area.  While I could have made a push to get back to Thompson's Crossing that evening... I decided it might be wiser to take it slow.  I knew I still had some rabbit meat and a fair amount of water, so there was no need to head out on on an empty stomach and try to race sundown.  Instead, I opted to tend a small fire near the entrance of cave (campfire nicely protected from the wind) and boiled up more water while cooking up six decent servings of rabbit meat.

I mostly just took it easy and enjoyed the night.  I wasn't very tired so I knew it would probably serve me better to just stay up late.  I spent a good amount of time cooking, but also looking over my pack to make certain I know for sure what I have on hand and what I had intended to lug back with me to Community Hall.  :D 

Assuming even remotely passible weather, I'm heading back towards Thompson's Crossing tomorrow.  I have a total of four locations I think I need to revisit... and then I'll be focusing on reading my skill books and preparing to move on to another region.

I've had a pretty long while to think about it while attending to other things... I think I've made up my mind to head to Coastal Highway next.  I mean I suppose it was a forgone conclusion (I do really want to be able to start beachcombing), but I was still sort of second guessing myself about which region to establish myself in next.

I'm hoping that I'm getting to a place with the real-life stuff that I might finally be able to get sessions in more frequently.

• Upvote 1

This morning I set out to get back to the Community Hall.  The trek across the birch forest was surprisingly peaceful, the bear was nowhere to be found.  As I made my way across the river (heading toward the field behind Thompson's Crossing), I spotted the moose rooting around the downed tree near the shore.  It's the second or third time it's made an appearance there since I started mapping Pleasant Valley.

Naturally I gave it a wide berth (heading up the river bank next to the nearby bridge), crouched there next to a tree and just kind of watched it for a couple of minutes.  I checked my journal; it's now day 82 and I have yet to fire a single shot.  Sitting here, considering the wide open stretch to Thompson's Crossing, the area by that rabbit grove being a reasonably safe spot for harvesting, and the fact that I've been living so minimally on water and rabbit meat for nearly three months :D ...I think it might be a good opportunity for a moose pelt (and also of course an abundance of very rich meat).

I only have a revolver on me at the moment... and I'm not interested in investing more than two shots.  I decided to continue on to the Community Hall to sleep for the night, but I was very tempted to turn around and make haste to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead to switch out for my rifle.  In either case, I wanted to duck into the Community Hall, even if only for a little while (by the time I got halfway through the field, I'd already started freezing :D).

I think that once I can get at least a little warmed up, I'm going to go and retrieve my rifle.  I think it's high time for me go on a hunt.  I think a moose hide satchel sounds like a nice addition to my gear.  More importantly, the large quantity of meat would keep my stomach full as I read through all my books and get things in order for my departure from Pleasant Valley.

If I can't manage to it done before sundown, hopefully the moose will hang around for at least one more day... if not... I might just have to go on a bear hunt instead. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Though I didn't get a chance to get a session in last night, I have spent a significant amount of time thinking about how I wanted to go about the moose hunt.  It was then that I remembered that I also had found and gathered up a bow and a handful of arrows.  I've been trying to decided if I want to try going bow hunting instead of investing two rifle cartridges.

I know I can take down a moose in one or two well placed headshots.  However, it wasn't so straight forward in my past experiences bow hunting moose.  I'm not sure if four/five arrows would be enough for me to bring it down if my shots aren't on the mark.  If I miss the head and land body shots... not only will the hunt be more protracted and dangerous, I'd also have to finish it off with a rifle shot anyway.

Perhaps, just to make sure I have got a good handle on my BZO with the bow again, it might be better to practice up on deer first.  However, since I'm not intending to stay in the region for long... I may just opt to bring the bow and arrows with me to the next region (even though I generally prefer to travel with just bare essentials).

I suppose it will depend on how many hours of reading I'll have to do in order to get all the skill books I've found finished.  Though as always, any copies of Adv.G.G.G. I'd only read 24 of the 25 hours (in order to save those benefits for later when the other rifle skill books wouldn't contribute to building that skill anymore).

I don't know, there's still more to think about.  Part of me is tempted to go a little bit more risky and take the bow out to fell the moose, but the other part of me thinks the rifle would be more efficient for me (in both time spent hunting, and possibly number of shots I'd have to invest).

I'm going to think on it some more, but either way I think I will be grabbing both bow and rifle when I get over to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead... 🤔

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Yeah ... I think Hunting the Moose with a bow depends on how fast/steady a draw you have. I tend to panic and shoot without a good aim, or I shoot too slow, or put the dang thing away accidentally!

I've seen videos of people getting 4, even 5, shots in as the Moose is charging ... no way can I do that.

The only time I've felled a Moose with one bow shot was in Wintermute story mode, at the Blackrock Bricklayer's Retreat -- I think that's a built-in "gimme".

I'm not a huge expert with the rifle either, but I have gotten several Moose with a cleanly placed shot to the head.

Good Luck with whatever way you choose!

• Like 1

I quickly set out for the Pleasant Valley Farmstead to go gather up my hunting gear.  The weather has been a little bit nasty, but nothing that was going to stop me from making this trip.  The idea of having a large surplus of Moose meat leading into a decently long stretch of reading books sounds like a reasonably comfortable way to finish up with Pleasant Valley.

I did have to struggle against a rather heavy headwind (because of course :D), but I was able to get to the Farmstead at a reasonably good pace (all things considered).  As I searched through my cache of supplies, I noted that I only had found and gathered four arrows (rather than the five I thought I had).  I also grabbed the rifle, as well as all of my revolver and rifle ammo.  Not because I thought I would need it... but just to have it on hand for when I eventually get my pack staged to head out towards Coastal Highway.  I was also tempted to grab all my skill books that I have stashed there... but ultimately decided I could make a trip back for them later (hopefully after a successful hunt).  I had managed to get to the farmstead by about mid-afternoon, so I felt fairly good about making it back to Thompson's Crossing before sundown.

As I made my way past the Old Red Barn and the rest of the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings, the wind died down and the weather cleared.  It had been a while since I saw pure blue skies in the valley.  I checked on my quarry as I crossed over the bridge, however, I was already thoroughly exhausted and in no condition to hunt.  I sat there next to the tree just watching the moose for a few minutes and lamented that I would have to wait until morning in order to confront it.  That uneasy feeling crept over me... worried that it might move on over night and be long gone before I could take it on.

I reluctantly headed back to the Community Hall, ate a large piece of venison, and bedded down for the night.  However, in the early hours of the morning... a blizzard hit. 😒

I waited anxiously for the storm to end.  Passing a little time mending a pair of climber's socks and ear wraps.  All the while wondering if the storm drove it off... and whether it would return after the storm abated.

Thankfully, it was a shorter storm and it blew itself out by mid-day.  I wasted no time made a beeline from the Church to the bridge near were the Moose had been milling about.  As the fallen tree came into view, I spotted the behemoth rooting around in the snow and terrifying all the nearby rabbits.  I was thrilled, and the hunt was on.

First I tested the moose... slowly approaching to see where it drew the line.  I got a good sense for how close I could get without stoking it's fury.  I nocked the arrow, drew back, and loosed the first shot.  Unfortunately, I misjudged my arch... I'd missed the mark.  The arrow struck either the on the chest very near the shoulder or the upper part of it's foreleg.  I didn't have much time to asses.  The moose took off running out onto the frozen river.  I decided this wasn't going to be the best angle to continue from.  The last thing I wanted was to drive it further from Thompson's Crossing.  I watched and waited as the moose settled down, and began to slowly creep back towards the rabbit grove.

I decided my next shot I should take from out on the ice.  At least then if it were to run off it was more likely to head out across the field and a little closer to where I'd ultimately have to haul it.  As I made my way down and around, I had to back off more than a few times as it turned to warned me off.  I didn't have a good vantage from the far side of the fallen tree (out on the ice), so I had to settle for a shot from much closer to shore and at an angle I wasn't sure would push it in the direction I'd want (there seemed an equal chance it would run out into the field or back out on the ice).  Even so, I had to take another shot... and this was the best line of sight I could get in this particular set up.

I drew back, this time aiming a bit higher, waited for a natural respiratory pause, and let the arrow fly...

20220429061946_1.thumb.jpg.d2ee973d55f9feae334ce2dbf205ea33.jpg

I could tell my aim was a little lower than I'd wanted it... but I still had managed to hit the mark.  Much to my delight, that second shot was a critical hit.  The moose stammered, called out, fell thunderously to the ground.  I took another minute to take in what just took place.  With my fist shot landing so poorly, I didn't expect the second to bring it down.  In fact I had already pretty much assumed I'd need to finish the job with the rifle, however the arrow struck true... now all that was left was to quarter it up and get it home safely.

Unfortunately I was already hauling nearly 28 kg's worth of stuff in my pack, so I knew I wouldn't be able to lug more than one bag at a time.  As I went to get started I realized I didn't have a knife, hatchet, or hacksaw with me.  I took the pelt by hand and I quickly returned to the Community Hall... only to find I didn't have any knives there either.  "Fine..." I thought, and used a hatchet instead.  I dropped off the pelt near the fireplace and went to get to the task at hand.  By the time I'd returned to the carcass and gotten it quartered up, it was getting very late in the day.

The skies were clear, the weather was good, but the sun was going down.  I knew that there was no way I'd be able to haul all nine bags of moose meat back to the Community Hall before dark, so I just focused on dragging them each a fair bit closer.  I'd managed to get them all about 15 meters closer to Thompson's Crossing.  However, as I was grabbing the last back... I heard a bear close by.  I spotted it pretty quickly... it was coming across the river from the Britch Forest!  Apparently, it caught the scent of the moose meat as I was trying to incrementally move it all.

I stuffed that bag of meat into my pack made a straight shot for Thompson's Crossing and the safely of the Community Hall.  As I was getting closer to the church, I noticed an Aurora had kicked up as well.  Great... now not only was I being stalked by a bear, it was now going to be an aurora charged bear.  I decided to just press and hope I could keep the my stalker out paced.  Thankfully I was able to make it to the Community Hall, drop the back of meat outside, and duck in to seek shelter for the night.

The rest of the meat is going to have to wait until tomorrow... :D 

• Upvote 2

When I woke 😒... I found that another blizzard had rolled in.

I was hoping for a short storm, and passed time by get things reorganized.  As more and more of the day began to slip by, I thought more and more about what condition I was going to find the moose meat in.  I ought to have about 4 or 5 days before the bags of meat spoil... but still, I tend to want to get a carcass harvested and situated as quickly as possible.  Also, each day that passes is a chance for the wolves to roam from one area to another.  With the amount that big bags of moose meat attract predators, the normally short hike (between the Church and where it's currently laying in the snow) is going to feel like it's miles long.  Trying to lug two or three bags at a time will shorten the number of trips... but it will also attract predators from even further afield.

Unfortunately, as the day wore on, it was becoming apparent that it was likely going be a 20 hour storm (or maybe worse).  I was really stretching for productive things to occupy my time, so I continued in greater detail in sorting and arranging what little I had cached at the Community Hall.  At one point I shifted things from the large pantry/wall cabinet and decided to keep most of my extra supplies in the large chest nearer the front door.  That way I could quickly stash everything I tend to carry with me in a convent place.  After all... I intend to drop pretty much everything in order to be able to lug as much meat as possible each trip out (after the storm, I mean).

I ended up staying up long into the night.  Not having been able to get out side had made me a bit wrestles and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep thought night (I just wasn't tired enough).

Eventually, I did finally get to sleep... though I did so on an empty stomach.  It just didn't seem right to eat a hearty portion of venison when I hadn't really expended much energy the day before.  I knew it was pressing my luck... but until I can start getting that moose meat harvested, I needed to make what I have last for as long as possible.  If the bags end up going bad (or worse even, just disappearing) before I can harvest and stow the meat would really make it harder to get the skill books read quickly.  Plus, I think it would be a nice reprieve from the level of struggle I've been subjecting myself too. :D 

I woke again sometime in the middle of the next morning, the storm had passed in the night and it seems like I'll be able to at least go scout the route I want to try and haul those bag along.  My pack was empty (except for 1 liter of water), all I was taking with me was the clothing I was wearing.  Everything else was getting left behind until these bag are secured.  At this point I was committed, if I take a misstep and get beset upon by wolves... I was either going to have to either out maneuver them or accept that I was going to have to fend them off with my fists, because even loosing one of these nine bags is not an option for me.

Rather than just head straight back to where I'd left them the other day... I followed along the edge of the rural roadway that cuts through field and heads onwards towards the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings.  It didn't take me long to notice that there was a pack of four wolves skulking around not far outside of Thompson's Crossing.  I was going to need to take a slightly longer way around through the field in order to give them a wider berth.  Even just carrying two bags would bring predator's from near and far the longer I was holding on to them.  With my pack empty it might be possible to haul four bags easily enough... but my mobility would likely suffer considerably.  

Considering that previously, I'd managed to attract a bear from as far off as the Lonely Homestead... I was beginning to consider that perhaps it wasn't a good idea to just stuff my pack full and beeline to the church.  As I continued looking around the area (spotting at least two more wolves further along the river not far from where the meat was currently sitting), I began to pick a couple of waypoints.  Spots that would let me make a decent amount of progress, but also let me set the meat down at shorter intervals.  At least this way I could keep a better eye on predators what where heading my way and adjust my strategy accordingly.

This made for a much longer journey with a lot of back and forth, but it seemed worth it.  I settled on grabbing only two bags at a time, make my way as quickly as I could to the nearest of two waypoints, drop off the bags, head back for another load, and repeat this until the bags were finally safe at my encampment at the Community Hall.  This turned out to be a good move... because on at least three occasions, as I was hiking between the two waypoints I would catch sight of 2-3 wolves who where prowling dangerously close.  Because I had decent vantage points thanks to the spots I'd picked.  I was able stay undetected, and even though it meant I wouldn't likely be able to get all eight remaining bags back to the Community Hall that day... I would wait for the wolves to wander off again between way points.

I'd managed to get all four loads the hill top just beyond the rock formation next to the church.  Unfortunately it is getting very late in the day... and after sundown I know those wolves' noses will get even more sensitive.  I'm not going to risk trying to run pack-full in until morning.  Perhaps by then this pack near Thompson's Crossing will have moved on... I still have to watch out for the wolf(s) across the river, and to some extent even the one further out past the Rural Store.  I've had that one sneak up on me before when I hauling around a lot of meat.

Didn't get as much accomplished as I'd hoped to... but at least I managed to remain undetected (I mean, yes they were catching wind of the meat I was carrying and hunting for the source... but I managed to avoid them stalking me directly).  All-in-all, a good couple of days.

• Upvote 3