A New Day... Another New Beginning

ManicManiac

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
I thought that would probably be the case.  Thank you, I'll add it to my list of things to do while waiting for an early evening aurora. 

I don't think I mentioned it, over the last few sessions I've certainly been able to confirm that this run has three active bears lurking around Coastal Highway.  I'm even contemplating hunting one, though if I'm honest with myself... thanks to ice fishing, I don't really "need" to hunt anything.  I haven't even needed the three snares I crafted for this region (I kind of just made them for the sake of keeping a more complete set of tools here at the Fishing Camp).

I do still need to look for a good day to visit the Coastal Townsite, but if it's constant swarming with wolves... then I guess I'll just Metal Gear my way through it (it's good practice for eventually getting though OIC undetected - such an unnecessary side challenge, but I love doing it). :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I think for the next session though, I'll focus on each of the far ends of the highway.  Those are the last areas to really clean up before I call it finished.  Even though the counter in the Journal is broken, most of the time it will still check off what each major location I've done (except for PV for some reason, I may have to revisit and narrow down which ones didn't take; to try them again).

I hope you don't have to wait too long for one.  I think you're owed one after all those blizzards and now the green fog!🙂.  Great pics by the way, love it when the fog makes it seem so still and quiet.  

I take it that it's unusual to have three bears on stalker?  It's always three on my runs,whether that's luck or the setting I'm not sure.    A nice cosy bear roll though always comes in handy. 

I didn't realize it was still bugged. I haven't looked in ages. Thanks for the info.🙂

• Like 1

@Leeanda

It's not so much unusual, especially on Stalker when the hostile wildlife is at its most abundant, but sometimes there aren't bear dens in each of the possible spots.  I do like to keep track of where they are each run; both for avoiding them as well as for hunting (should the need arise).

• Upvote 1

I woke very early the next morning (before sunup) to find an aurora burning across the sky.  It wasn't too terribly cold, so I decided I would try to get an early start at finishing my survey of the area up the slope from Rockslide.  Aside form surveying, I did also wanted to get prospect through the Coastal Townsite, and also hopefully find that elusive polaroid.

I started freezing right around the time I was nearly finished with the area above Rockslide.  The temperature was, however,  on the rise so I took shelter in the abandoned car on the bridge.  I was able to start warming in up inside, after a few minutes the risk of hypothermia passed and the temp outside has risen enough that I figure it ought to be fine to take a stroll back to the fishing camp where I could warm up properly. :D 

Here is where begins the days strange occurrence... which started out innocently enough.

As I was making my way back to my cabin at the Fishing Camp, I spotted the bear ambling along its way back up the road.  It was a bit too close the turn off for the cabins for me to safely slip though and get inside without raising its ire.  I quickly got low and took the longer way around, goating up the rocks that run alongside the pier.

I stayed crouched there on the rocks and waited as I listened to the bear grumble as it passed by along the road.  Once I was sure it was well away from the Fishing Camp... I got up and headed inside my cabin.  I was only inside for maybe a couple of minutes.  I didn't need to warm up all the way (temps were still on the rise and I only need enough warmth while I waited for the day to warm up just a few more degrees).

I stepped back outside and decided to get up on top of the bank (better vantage) and to my surprise... saw the bear slowly making its way up the road again.  😵...I'd literally just listened to it pass by heading back to it's den just a couple of minutes ago... and now it's back ahead of me as though it had just finished it's lap along the shore.  I was about to step down and head out on the ice when I heard a terrifyingly close howl.  My heart nearly skipped a beat as I instantly got low.  I turned my head and saw two wolves prowling a lot farther from the pier than I would estimate was normal.

So far, no one was paying me any undue attention... I could stay still and hope, or I could try to press on and slip past them.  I suppose if I had to, I could use the bear to run off the wolves... but then I'd also have to deal with an angry bear and hope not to provoke a savage mauling from that freight train of hate and hunger.  I steeled my nerves and slid down the bank trying to keep an equal distance between the bear and the wolves (and without antagonizing either).  With each step, I was poised to jump up and try to make a run for it... but with my heart in my throat, I kept calm taking one agonizing step at a time.  At one point the wolves had turned away, which gave me a little more breathing room, and eventually I'd gotten far enough along the shore that I could get back up and try to make my way up the road with haste.

With The Tooth in sight... I stopped.  I took a quick look around, noticed it was already getting into the afternoon.  I knew I wouldn't make it all the way to Commuter's Lament to try and finish the map.  I was also a little wary of pressing my luck going without food for the night.  It felt a little impractical for me to make it back and forth between the more distance areas of the map, and still have a reasonable amount of time to burn on surveying.

I decided to head back to my fishing hut... I grabbed a goodly portion of wolf meat (just to let the locals know who they're dealing with :D), and set out with the intention of spending the night at one of the houses on the fringes of the Coastal Townsite.

As I made my way across the ice... it didn't take long to before I caught the notice of one of my furry woodland friends.  Perhaps taunting them by carrying around a piece of their brethren was ill-advised.  I was not far from Log Sort, and I remembered one of those fishing huts had a door.  I adjusted course and kept on at a steady clip... the claws and teeth trailing along close behind.  Thankfully the one hut I picked out was indeed one with a door.  I slipped inside, shut the door, and dropped the meat... It wasn't but a few seconds more that the wolf tried to make a run at the hut.  I could hear the snarls turn to yelps when it realized it wouldn't be able to snatch me out from inside.

I gave it a few minutes to hopefully wander off a little ways farther before picking up my dinner and continuing to press on towards the Coastal Townsite.

After that little ordeal, I decided that I would try for the first house on the nearer fringe of the Coastal Highway.  Rather than try for anything closer to the Quonset... I would make the turn up the road leading up the slopes.  However, this did not stop a couple of the local wolves from sniffing me out.  I had to quickly duck inside that corner house...  I spent the rest of the afternoon (and evening) searching though the place.  I ate, and slept hard through the night.

I woke just a little after sunrise, and I was hoping that maybe the wolves would have moved on overnight... however, I knew I wasn't going to be that lucky.  I was correct.  The Coastal Townsite was still swarming with wolves.  That was fine... it was going to be good practice for Metal Gearing my way across OIC later.  Keeping low and changing course frequently to avoid the wandering wolves, I managed to make it from one car to another... then to the house on other far side of the townsite.

Eventually working my way over to the truck behind the Quonset Garage.  I'd almost made it the entire way... but just as I stepped back out of the truck, apparently I wasn't able to get low quickly enough.  The wolf just around the corner had spotted me, without hesitation or even certainty as to where exactly it was... I rushed for the door and slipped inside.

I spent a good deal of time gathering up everything I could at the Townsite... especially the Quonset Garage.  I was already pretty weighed down (just over 59 kg in my pack).  It was time to head back... it was already getting into the after by then, and I knew it would likely take me until very nearly night fall to get back (I knew full well I was going to be trudging at a snail's pace).

Thankfully, I managed to slowly make my way back to my Fishing Hut... I decided to sit for a spell and rest for just a bit.  To my surprise it wasn't quite nightfall, and I didn't want to eat my dinner too early.

It was kind of a wild couple of days... but I have a pack full of gear and supplies, and I'm a little bit closer from to having my map completed.  I also got some good practice in for the regions to come. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing errors.
  • Upvote 1

Some stills I remembered to grab from the last couple of days:

Aurora Dawn...
20220608050250_1.thumb.jpg.111b6c4cca19260b189658ccc73c004e.jpg

Unexpected Guest...
20220608053136_1.thumb.jpg.9d7e6b3bde34e078bd1d5b333563b20f.jpg

...wait what?  Didn't you just pass by here a few minutes ago... you don't normally double back... is this a deja vu?
20220608053514_1.thumb.jpg.e0d5f84cdba3bcb7c9e236cb4c3cdd16.jpg
Hmm... clearly between a rock, and a hard place...  🤔  ...and the hard place is heading this way.
20220608053511_1.thumb.jpg.a76ad5209032d9a95b4b4c9800acee10.jpg

Early the next morning... Costal Townsite is still swarming with wolves, can't see them all when I'm this low to the ground.  The one's I do see are a little too close for comfort.
20220608060545_1.thumb.jpg.0a432935feaee93e0db8370908fc7624.jpg
20220608060653_1.thumb.jpg.9782f906f08b89a41946183e65376329.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Okay... I just loaded back in to finish off the day, and this happened.

20220608181330_1.thumb.jpg.529399b02bd685899843201f1e83f1af.jpg
Will... how did you manage to turn that shelf into a hammock?

Reloading... just to see if it happens again.
Another odd little quirk happened a couple of days ago... I'd saved here when there was two hours of burn time on the stove.  When I loaded back in later... stove was out and only had two pieces of charcoal, despite having been burning for more than 12 hours prior.

:D Reloaded, and everything was right with the world again.  Hopefully, that will work this time too.

Great Bear is getting stranger...

[update]
Nope... happened again.

20220608182042_1.thumb.jpg.b9ac874f5dc83dbb8a757583bf633650.jpg
...now to get down without snapping an ankle.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Okay... I just loaded back in to finish off the day, and this happened.

20220608181330_1.thumb.jpg.529399b02bd685899843201f1e83f1af.jpg
Will... how did you manage to turn that shelf into a hammock?

Reloading... just to see if it happens again.
Another odd little quirk happened a couple of days ago... I'd saved here when there was two hours of burn time on the stove.  When I loaded back in later... stove was out and only had two pieces of charcoal, despite having been burning for more than 12 hours prior.

:D Reloaded, and everything was right with the world again.  Hopefully, that will work this time too.

Great Bear is getting stranger...

[update]
Nope... happened again.

20220608182042_1.thumb.jpg.b9ac874f5dc83dbb8a757583bf633650.jpg
...now to get down without snapping an ankle.

I got that when I started having trouble with the failing to save issue.   I managed to end up on the second level in some of those barns. I'm sure it's not that though as it's an Xbox only issue . 

Still curious though.

• Like 1

I finished out the day; sort of just waiting for it to get late enough to warrant eating and heading up to Jackrabbit Island to bed down for the night.  In the mean time, I did head back to the fishing camp to drop off much of the gear I'd collected (I'd forgotten I was lugging 59kg. of stuff along with me :D).

When I stepped over to the cabin nearest the road (to drop off tools and crafting supplies), I heard the bear yet again coming for a visit... I sat and waited until I saw him shambling along the roadway.  I only pressed my luck to a quick snapshot, and ducked inside to finish sorting & storing my gear.

I wanted to get an early start, so I got up just a little bit before sun rise.  It was chilly, but not so cold as to deter me from heading down to search over all the tiny islands (maybe more accurately characterized as a sort-of reef?) sprinkled across the bay (both between the fishing camp and Jackrabbit Island, as well as Jackrabbit Island and the Misanthrope's Island).  Sadly, found nothing of interest for the time invested.  I stopped over at Misanthrope's Homestead to warm up and continue on to the Waterfront Cottages.  I'm was determined to finish the map today.

I managed to accomplish some risky goating across the road behind the Waterfront Cottages (even managed to clear area beyond the map boarder again).  In the process, I sprained everything... :D

The weather had been threatening a blizzard pretty much the entire day.  I did eventually make my way down to the road (and managed to attract the attention of a wolf who was prowling closer to the road than usual).  I was able to continue on and climb the hill up to the Lone Coastal House (outside of the Coastal Town Site).  Thankfully, I was able to make up the hill and give the wolf the slip... and just about a minute after getting inside, the blizzard I was fearing did finally arrive.  

I didn't have any food with me, but spending one night wouldn't be too bad.  However, after sleeping though the night I woke up just as another blizzard rolled in.  Unfortunately by this time I was completely out of water (and was still determined to leave all the tank-water untouched)... I decided I would wait out the storm and hope it was a short one.

I was wrong... very incorrect.

The storm ended up raging all through the day, and as I napped and passed time the best I could... I felt my condition decline and slip away.  I knew I wouldn't be in good shape if I went another night without both food and water.  However, I didn't have much choice but to continue trying to wait out the storm.  Unfortunately, the storm didn't blow itself out until sundown.

I took the chance to risk some night running...  I need food and water or I would be in perilous shape by morning.  Thankfully the visibility was fairly good, despite a bit on an eerie greenish fog making it hard to make out things too far in the distance.  However, I was far more concerned with being able to navigate from Fishing Hut to Fishing Hut (and of course avoiding wolves out on the ice) and the visibility was at least good enough for that.

I eventually made it to my fishing hut, ate double my usual ration, and sated my thirst.  I did also return to the cabin on Jackrabbit Island to sleep through the rest of the night.

At least the map is finished (at least as clean as I'm going to get it).  There might be one or two spots I will likely try to clean up, but it's essentially finished.  From here, I still need to find a polaroid (which for some reason, I haven't been able to find - wondering if it failed to appear).  Also going to wait for a good chance to explore the Abandoned Mineshaft.  

I'm also looking to consolidate my ammunition and gather up all my coffee, before I move onward to the next region.  There may be a bout of insomnia in my future... :D   I wouldn't mind earning my "Shot to the Heart" merit badge on this run.

I've also decided, I'm saving my return to Mystery Lake until I've finished mapping out the other regions.  I kind of want my homecoming back to the original region of Great Bear to be the last stretch for my mapping tasks.

(many thanks to @Leeanda, talking it through really help me make up my mind)

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing some typos...
  • Like 1

Still no polaroid?🤔.  I know they're meant to be well hidden to some extent ,not that well though.  I'm at a loss what to suggest with that.  I would've suggested a map but I know you wouldn't want to do that.  

And you've already put the hard work in 👍  

Despite the weather  and the bear again.  

Glad I could help🙂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
At least two more spots I want to check... but they're places I know I've already been.  I usually search areas pretty thoroughly, so I'm not hopeful... but I will go back to re-check them anyway.

The thought did occur that it might have semi merged into the wall in the quonset.  That was the problem with the one on the Riken before it was removed.   That's why I always scan everywhere in there even now.  

• Like 1

@Leeanda

I'm going to try and head over to those last two spots later today.  I'm hoping I just missed it before, but I suppose I'll soon know.

I should be able to get over to that fallen tree you mentioned (right near Bear Creek Campground) and the that Lone Cabin (near the falls and in the little clearing not far from the switchback leading up to the Train Unloading area).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

I'm going to try and head over to those last two spots later today.  I'm hoping I just missed it before, but I suppose I'll soon know.

I should be able to get over to that fallen tree you mentioned (right near Bear Creek Campground) and the that Lone Cabin (near the falls and in the little clearing not far from the switchback leading up to the Train Unloading area).

I spent ages trying to find that corpse at the fallen tree. Mind you there are two on top of high rocks near to the roadside and I'd been looking on the wrong one 😊.

It does have a habit of not attracting crows though so that's probably added to my confusion.  I hope it's there for you . 

Some of these little cabins need naming, we already have one anyway so why not?😊

• Like 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

That third bear encounter I mentioned
20220608183326_1.thumb.jpg.5dbfaac72a0909f0ed1f5c2ca7f7f4ff.jpg

...after some risky goating between the Waterfront Cottages and the Costal Townsite...
20220608190728_1.thumb.jpg.7161dd38e950f320cd03d1b62cb59d9b.jpg
...everything's broken :D 

Ouch!😊. Been there done that ,worn the bandages!.. funny though how your life bar is still full when mine goes to less than half?  

Perhaps he wants one of your fish?😊

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

I managed to get to both locations... finally found that elusive polaroid.
20220609184843_1.thumb.jpg.5e3bfe1976365d85683b235c104eac4c.jpg
I clearly just missed it the last time I was here.

I quickly (albeit carefully) to the Abandoned Lookout... the maps is officially complete. :D 
Now it's just a matter of a final sort and store, then I'll head back to gather up all my ammunition and coffee.  Then I'll just beachcomb until I get an early evening Aurora.

I suppose it's not the cleanest map... but it's as good as I'm going to make it without a lot more risky goating. :D 

20220609193338_1.thumb.jpg.44c20c1b10b8e6323d7c6b7726cebe35.jpg
Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Spent the entire day beachcombing (and dropping off recycled cans at each fishing hut).
I didn't find much out there on the ice, but a couple items of note:
Cat Tails
Painkillers
Birch Bark

I'd still like to find some saplings, but I have a feeling I'll be beachcombing for at least a few more days.
I will also have to do some fishing... and eventually hauling some provisions over to the Abandoned Mineshaft Entrance.  If the worse happens and I end up stuck down there... I'd like to be able to hole up for at least a week; hoping for another Aurora. :D 

It was rather foggy today... but a little sunlight managed to break through.

20220609211630_1.thumb.jpg.df60706bf888f57c6b55f87b5d6208c8.jpg

[Addendum]
I also saw a good opportunity to finish searching though the Costal Townsite.
20220609214106_1.thumb.jpg.4b54059bdfdcb909ea7a678b9a121917.jpg
20220609215122_1.thumb.jpg.1a0bab40d81ed778180addc3d21b6664.jpg
With this many wolves out on the ice... I was willing to bet my life that the town was deserted.

I right... very much correct. :D 

By the time I was finished, I little more than 50kg of gear and supplies in my pack again.  The rest of the day I spent slowly trudging across the ice and back to my Fishing Hut.  From there I decided to bed down at the Fishing Camp (at least then in the morning I can sort and stow).

I woke to sounds of a blizzard raging outside... but I didn't care; I've plenty to do inside anyway.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

I don't often do too much goating around these days (found too many death-walls that way), but every once in a while, I have a lot of fun working the angles to see just where I can get to. :) 

"Gee Yogi... the ranger isn't gonna like this..." Boo-Boo Bear 1964
20211001193520_1.thumb.jpg.7571f0948ba1e0a0a341dd107feda67f.jpg

Once bitten twice shy.   It is fun goating upTo all those nooks and crannies. 

Mostly anyway, that search for the ml prepper cache wasn't the best fun.

Ahh..Mr bear just wanted a hug it seems😁 

Glad you found the polaroid too🤞😊

• Like 1

I spent two full days fishing (one day catching & cooking, about four hours rest, followed by 10 hours fishing, then getting ready for bed).

However...
20220610070616_1.jpg
I got my early evening Aurora.  I knew I wasn't really fully prepared, but I decided as long as the weather didn't bug out and abruptly "switch off" the aurora... I was sure I'd be able to search efficiently enough to risk heading down the mineshaft. :) 

So, without food or water (in case I got stuck), I decided I would go explore the lower abandoned mineshaft anyway.

20220610070748_1.thumb.jpg.1be49a8ec4e248a120ca2495ad510c25.jpg
20220610071025_1.thumb.jpg.053e8ef4484373ce5c0c7ff0f92a6716.jpg
20220610071029_1.thumb.jpg.1024f58382494b51264782a4cf50fcf1.jpg
20220610071032_1.thumb.jpg.b86c046f2cc76b3edae76704c2be5170.jpg
20220610071042_1.thumb.jpg.8858bc4f5765fcea313065699b441afa.jpg
20220610071155_1.thumb.jpg.8f73f2be4f5dbf46e59beb91b09f4918.jpg

But that's when tragedy struck...
I seem to have fallen victim to what I can only hope is a one off bug.
As I was climbing up the plank (still on the plank and not reasonably near any live wire)
I suddenly saw a read flash and saw the message that I was getting electrocuted somehow... and before I could even react:
20220610071224_1.thumb.jpg.9622166f34e152135c68ea3bc391cc9f.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing some typos...
  • Upvote 1

@Leeanda
To be fair, it is possible I just hadn't paid close enough attention... and perhaps the idle camera drift just lightly kissed a killzone... I can't say I know for sure.

Either way, it's just one of the many hazards of Great Bear Island.  I don't know if I will start a new run later today... or if I'll let the sting of this one heal first. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1