If you could build a house...

hozz1235

44 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

It is beautiful! I do love Coastal Highway -- maybe relocate one of those cozy Campground cabins here, add in a little 2-burner stove and re-arrange/upgrade the furniture a bit and it's a definite yes!

Oh, I was thinking more of a big A frame chalet.  I'd go to Bleak Inlet and get that 6 burner stove outta the old light house!

On 11/2/2021 at 6:51 AM, ajb1978 said:

I'd just directly move into Paradise Meadows. Straighten the furniture, pick up that overturned plant, sweep  and generally clean house.

Have you by chance checked out that mod called "Remove Clutter?"  I just got that the other day and  now I've picked up all the paper litter and the knocked over plant(s).  It will also let you break down the broken drawers in the dressers upstairs and break down the old television as well!  It even does cups, saucers and plates not to mention the old busted up file cabinet in the den. 

Place looks so spiffy now!  
Just because we're living in the winter apocalypse doesn't mean my space has to be dirty and full of broken crap laying around!  

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2021 at 8:11 PM, Glflegolas said:

For a place to live longer-term, Coastal Highway is hard to beat. I particularly like the two-story house on Misanthrope's Homestead, though there are a couple modifications I'd like to make to it. Firstly, I'd build a dock somewhere on the coastline, so that I have easy access to the ocean for transportation. Secondly, that house really needs a woodstove or two. Get the 6-burner stove from the Crumbling Lighthouse for the kitchen (my neighbours once brought a cook stove to an island cabin using a dory). For added bonus, how about getting a wood stove from a crumbing cabin and putting it where the TV now sits? Oh, and while I'm at it, might as well move the workbench from Fishing Camp into the basement, no?

That would be perfect, but what I'd do is build a lean to/shed for the work bench and put a fire barrel in there.  Add a chair and you have yourself an ideal location!

I think I would refurbish and modify some of the cannery worker's houses in BI.  There's no reason to leave that second cabin blocked up, I'd open it up and make a kitchen/work room.   It has 2 entrances too.  I'd take some of the stones from the light house, plus existing planks from the third cabin and some of the wood from the destroyed dock and make a sheltered area for a workbench and that six burner stove in the lighthouse.  Eventually, you could salvage all of the stone and make a nice abode with it.  Or a small (one story) look out with observation deck.  

building.png

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:53 PM, piddy3825 said:

Have you by chance checked out that mod called "Remove Clutter?"  I just got that the other day and  now I've picked up all the paper litter and the knocked over plant(s).  It will also let you break down the broken drawers in the dressers upstairs and break down the old television as well!  It even does cups, saucers and plates not to mention the old busted up file cabinet in the den. 

Just because we're living in the winter apocalypse doesn't mean my space has to be dirty and full of broken crap laying around!  

I often criticise mods because some are just cheats, but this mod sounds great.  I am tempted to find it and try it, but I am hesitant to 'corrupt' a long game.  Perhaps I should split the game into a straight version and a modded version.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:53 PM, piddy3825 said:

Wait what? Is this really a thing? I need this.

Now, if we could only have a decorate mod, that would allow us to build chairs and furniture out of reclaimed wood to sit in while crafting and repairing so we wouldn't get tired as quickly...

9 hours ago, peteloud said:

I often criticise mods because some are just cheats, but this mod sounds great.  I am tempted to find it and try it, but I am hesitant to 'corrupt' a long game.  Perhaps I should split the game into a straight version and a modded version.

Indeed!  I typically dont employ mods that make the game "easier" but I do like mods that do not affect gameplay other than to "improve" the general ambience of the game.  In this case "remove clutter" does just that.  It merely allows the player to pick up the junk that litters the floors and the counter tops in the game.  all those silly scraps of newspaper littering the floors, Gone!  broken cups and plates on a table, Gone!  knocked over planters, broken tv in the middle of the floor, Gone!   

I don't think you'd run into any difficulites adding it to your game and resuming play of an existing save.  I'm slowly working my way back to Mountain Town, to tackle those buildings with all the crap stacked on the floors.  I just recently discovered you can also scrap the framed pictures you see sitting about on the coffee tables and what not.  Definitely worth looking into.

2 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

Now, if we could only have a decorate mod, that would allow us to build chairs and furniture out of reclaimed wood to sit in while crafting and repairing so we wouldn't get tired as quickly...

Heck Yeah!  I'd love me a decorating mod!  OHHH,  and an actually sitting down mod!!!  
right now, I pretend to sit down by crouching in front of the chair.  I'd love to break down a coffee table and put a chair in front of the fireplace.  I think maybe a chair mod would be a great suggestion for the Modding thread.
Let the game of thrones, begin!!

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

It merely allows the player to pick up the junk that litters the floors and the counter tops in the game.  all those silly scraps of newspaper littering the floors, Gone!  broken cups and plates on a table, Gone!  knocked over planters, broken tv in the middle of the floor, Gone! 

This is a great mod - I've been using it for a long time.  Be warned, I believe this mod also allows you to break down other items for materials.  If so, use at your discretion.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:28 AM, peteloud said:

On 1/23/2022 at 8:41 AM, Glflegolas said:

• Upvote 3

It's interesting to see how this mod works.  I like the idea of tidying up some of the rubbish that lies around the place,  but using this mod would give an advantage over playing a straight game.  I think it reasonable to turn the scrapped objects into useful resources, but I prefer to play a straight game, as created by HTL, and not give myself advantages, (although not many others seem to be bothered.)

It's not mods the irritate me, I am often impressed by the ingenuity and skill of the people who develop mods. What irritates me is that some people use mods then they bullsh*t about their apparent achievments, forgetting to mention that they were using 'helpers'. 

2 hours ago, peteloud said:

It's interesting to see how this mod works.  I like the idea of tidying up some of the rubbish that lies around the place,  but using this mod would give an advantage over playing a straight game.  I think it reasonable to turn the scrapped objects into useful resources, but I prefer to play a straight game, as created by HTL, and not give myself advantages, (although not many others seem to be bothered.)

It's not mods the irritate me, I am often impressed by the ingenuity and skill of the people who develop mods. What irritates me is that some people use mods then they bullsh*t about their apparent achievments, forgetting to mention that they were using 'helpers'. 

I was actually surprised at how much stuff it was able to scrap!   you can kinda see the layering that the dev team did to build up the interior environment.  Seemed to me that the paper on the wall underneath the calanders and the bulletin boards where probably visual instructions to the team members on where to put stuff!  I thought that was pretty neat.

I can see your point regarding the additional advantage of yielding useable items like cloth, scrapmetal and scrapwood particular as those items would never be able in game otherwise.  At the same token, the paper rubbish on the floors merely goes away providing no useable item, not even a lowly tinder plug!  So, if you wanted to use it, you could limit your use to the paper debris only and at the very least remove some clutter that would otherwise just be an eyesore.  There were no dishes in the control hut that I could clean up, but it did allow for cups and plates to be scrapped as well, but they also didn't leave any useable resources behind.

• Upvote 2

I decided to try the remove clutter mod.  I have an old game,  a  custom Stalker game with reduced wild life and reduced loot that is over 1,000 days.  It has been everywhere so I can afford to mess about with this game.

I was surprised to see how many mods there were, so I also decided to try adding Extra Hotkeys and Quicksave.  I see that I can set the yield from Removing Clutter to 'No' so that it need not give me any extra resources.

I had a couple of minor problems as I don't use the standard directories.  I installed the three mods. Quicksave and Extra Hotkeys work fine but I still have a problem getting Clutter Removal to work.

On trying Clutter Removal in another saved game it worked.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, peteloud said:

I can understand your frustration at those who "cheat" then brag about their achievements.  Unless you are comparing "apples to apples", it's impossible to "compare" yourself to others.  The only way I can see you comparing equally is to ensure you are playing the exact same "configuration" - meaning, for example, you are both playing vanilla Pilgrim with no mods.  Even playing custom mode (once again, unless you're playing the exact same settings), you can't compare equally.  For this reason, I try not to let it bother me overly much when people speak of their achievements.

Sure, mods "modify" the game in some way, but, doesn't Custom mode also?  Couldn't using Custom mode and removing all wolves from the game be considered "cheating"?  Guess it's how each of defines "cheating".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Couldn't using Custom mode and removing all wolves from the game be considered "cheating"?

Comparing a custom game with a straight game is like comparing apples and oranges.

When I discuss issues relating to a particular game, I make a point of saying at what level the game is and in the one custom game that I have played, I make a point of mentioning the custom changes that I have made so that others can make a realistic comparison with games they have played. I try to be very open and honest about the problems and successes that I have when playing TLD.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, peteloud said:

I decided to try the remove clutter mod.  I have an old game,  a  custom Stalker game with reduced wild life and reduced loot that is over 1,000 days.  It has been everywhere so I can afford to mess about with this game.

I was surprised to see how many mods there were, so I also decided to try adding Extra Hotkeys and Quicksave.  I see that I can set the yield from Removing Clutter to 'No' so that it need not give me any extra resources.

I had a couple of minor problems as I don't use the standard directories.  I installed the three mods. Quicksave and Extra Hotkeys work fine but I still have a problem getting Clutter Removal to work.

On trying Clutter Removal in another saved game it worked.

outstanding!  I'm glad you gave it a shot.  
yes many many mods.  Some are cosmetic and others really impact the game like the food mods.  Be sure to download and install the required utility mods that are necessary for the various featured mods to work.  If memory serves there are close to 6 separate mods that work to integrate the modder's code into the Hinterlands game code.  

Another mod that I like very much, is Free look in Cars.  you can actually turn 360 in a car and look out all the windows by turning your mouse.  Doesn't do anything else but brings an immersive quality to the game.  Oh, and you should check out Place anywhere and Better Stacking.  Improves the ingame item placement mechanic allowing you to finally utilize the top shelf and to better place your objects, so like items can be stacked!  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Another mod that I like very much, is . . .

I had in mind to try that Better Stacking mod, but forgot about it when I downloaded the others.  I have come across the ability to look around 360 degrees when in a car, in a couple of cars in the normal game.  There is one in Blackrock.  I presume this has been accidentally overlooked by HTL and a bug.  It was great, but I don't want to give myself extra benefits that are not in the standard game.

The mods that I downloaded seem to be working OK now, apart from Clutter Removal in Blackrock.  That might just be a trivial reason such as needing a re-start. I couldn't be bothered to check it out fully.

• Upvote 2

I'd remodel/replace the Camp Office at Mystery Lake into a really nice large, A-Frame log home with a huge fireplace and lots of windows looking towards the lake.  Alternatively, I'd build that same home on the plateau at the Lake Overlook (along with adding a switchback road/path/driveway to the location from the railroad side.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'd remodel/replace the Camp Office at Mystery Lake into a really nice large, A-Frame log home with a huge fireplace and lots of windows looking towards the lake.  Alternatively, I'd build that same home on the plateau at the Lake Overlook (along with adding a switchback road/path/driveway to the location from the railroad side.

That sounds great. And the view up there is beautiful.