Too Many Wolves

Dougie

Do the sidequests to get the revolver, wolves become a joke once you have it (just fire a shot into the air when you're in a wolf infested area and run through). Until then, crouch your way around them or simply run away and hide in the next building/car or on a ledge/tree. I had no issues on hardest difficulty with wolves in EP4 and only once ended in a fight despite firing several shots from the revolver, felt kinda scripted.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the OP here has a point, and those who respond that they don't may have simply not encountered the same issue. I played through most of Ep. 4 just fine, fought off some wolves but got the tools I need to mainly take care of them, and they acted appropriately. However, at some point an invisible glitch switch got flipped because I walked outside one day and suddenly the regular wolves were spawning in 2 and 3 at close quarters, sometimes just dropping right out of the air in front of me and then attacking.

They also do NOT respond to loud noises or flares or even getting hit by bullets correctly once this bug kicks in, they just keep menacing and charging until I have to fight them off with my knife. Since it was all normal until this happened, and I changed NO settings to make this happen, I firmly believe there is a bug with the regular wolf spawns and behavior, and dismissing people's concerns when they voice them isn't very helpful with that.

I briefly considered the idea that it's some kind of storyline that boosted the wolves, but that doesn't explain why they're suddenly just randomly spawning out of nowhere in front of me sometimes, or why they don't even pay attention to gunshots or anything else at all until after they've latched onto me.

After a few attempts at working through this new and definitely not improved map filled with glitchy wolves I'm just going to wait to finish my game until there is more word on this particular topic, thanks.

• Upvote 1

Torches are your best friend, one on the ground will always stop a normal wolf dead in its tracks. Combine this with a stone, and wolves will never attack you. Drop the torch, wait till the wolf is standing it's ground, then aim at the wolf and it will run away. With this trick you can get away without using guns. (You still need noisemakers for timberwolves though)

1 hour ago, SassyElcor said:

I think the OP here has a point, and those who respond that they don't may have simply not encountered the same issue. I played through most of Ep. 4 just fine, fought off some wolves but got the tools I need to mainly take care of them, and they acted appropriately. However, at some point an invisible glitch switch got flipped because I walked outside one day and suddenly the regular wolves were spawning in 2 and 3 at close quarters, sometimes just dropping right out of the air in front of me and then attacking.

They also do NOT respond to loud noises or flares or even getting hit by bullets correctly once this bug kicks in, they just keep menacing and charging until I have to fight them off with my knife. Since it was all normal until this happened, and I changed NO settings to make this happen, I firmly believe there is a bug with the regular wolf spawns and behavior, and dismissing people's concerns when they voice them isn't very helpful with that.

I briefly considered the idea that it's some kind of storyline that boosted the wolves, but that doesn't explain why they're suddenly just randomly spawning out of nowhere in front of me sometimes, or why they don't even pay attention to gunshots or anything else at all until after they've latched onto me.

After a few attempts at working through this new and definitely not improved map filled with glitchy wolves I'm just going to wait to finish my game until there is more word on this particular topic, thanks.

If a wolf is charging, a gunshot will not scare it, even if you hit it, it may decide to still keep charging. Same thing with fire, a charging wolf will not stop if you throw a torch at it, it may choose to not stop. While I can't say anything about the spawning of wolves, the wolf aggression you see might just be a misinterpretation of the games mechanics. I played through the episode on hardened, and I never had a struggle with a wolf. I was always able to stop it from attacking.

I watched a complete behavioral change in the wolves in my game to INCLUDE glitched spawns. Everyone insisting they just don't act that way, please consider then that it is a bug that some of us are experiencing and not simply that we don't know what we are talking about? Thank you.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:02 PM, shadragon said:

Couple of observations. The sound for the wolves is not directional. You hear growling and you have to turn 360 to see where it is coming from. I have a decent pair of 7.1 Surround headphones and they don't help at all. The volume does not decrease with distance either. You hear a growl that sounds like it's right behind you and see a wolf 100 yards away. That burned me once when I heard a growl, turned and saw a wolf some distance away. Began moving, turned away from the distant wolf only to find another leaping at me.

...Once the rifle reload animation starts you can't interrupt the process regardless of what's charging you. 

Is this an audio setting? Maybe it's a different game I'm thinking of, but there might be a setting where you can change from both sides playing the same audio to both sides playing different audio (to be able to determine if a sound is coming from the left or right). 

For the gun, load 1 bullet, open inventory and close immediately to stop loading process. You can also pick up an item on the ground while loading to stop the process. Works for both rifle and revolver. 

On 10/19/2021 at 11:08 AM, Leeanda said:

You sure? they didn't with me!  Unless I just got lucky!

On 10/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, hozz1235 said:

I've tried a couple playthroughs at different difficulties and was definitely attacked (in fact, every pack was all over me!) on the easiest level.  Strange that you weren't...

I was playing hardened survivor and some timber wolf packs were running away, even if I had never seen them before. You probably got lucky like I did a few times. 

3 hours ago, SassyElcor said:

They also do NOT respond to loud noises or flares or even getting hit by bullets correctly once this bug kicks in, they just keep menacing and charging until I have to fight them off with my knife.

Also, for flares and torches not working, you might be throwing them at the wrong time. If you are not throwing them and they still attack, it is probably bug then (unless you get too close to them). I almost never throw torches or flares unless they are about to run out and I want the wolf gone. 

Edited by Pencil

2 minutes ago, Pencil said:

Is this an audio setting? Maybe it's a different game I'm thinking of, but there might be a setting where you can change from both sides playing the same audio to both sides playing different audio (to be able to determine if a sound is coming from the left or right). 

For the gun, load 1 bullet, open inventory and close immediately to stop loading process. You can also pick up an item on the ground while loading to stop the process. Works for both rifle and revolver. 

I was playing hardened survivor and some timber wolf packs were running away, even if I had never seen them before. You probably got lucky like I did a few times. 

Also, for flares and torches not working, you might be throwing them at the wrong time. If you are not throwing them and they still attack, it is probably bug then (unless you get too close to them). I almost never throw torches or flares unless they are about to run out and I want the wolf gone. 

It wasn't really the timbers I had problems with, it was the ordinary ones. I know I've only been playing for a few years but I've never had that much of a problem with them before. And I've used several of the tutorial videos here and on ytube! And done exactly what they did! The advice worked for ep3, and the whiteout challenge just not on ep..4!

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I, too, think that there are too many wolves around Blackrock in Episode 4.

Don't get me wrong, I can manage the wolves just fine. By now, I even have enough gear (around 50 revolver rounds, plus 20 rifle rounds and a lot of flares, flare shells and noisemakers) that I don't have to fear facing them, so it's not about that.

For me, The Long Dark is more about the wandering around, collecting resources, and – in case of the story mode – solving puzzles, finding survivors etc. Episode 3 already was a bit different with the new (in Wintermute) timberwolves, but there it was imo well balanced. You had to face the packs from time to time, especially when rescuing the crash survivors, but there also was a lot of "off" time, where you could relax, TLD-style. And after some time, you learn how the wolve packs move around the map, so you can avoid them better.

Blackrock however is different. There are wolves everywhere and there are a lot of them. Like, crazy lot. So many, that too me it feels totally clinical, meaning they couldn't find a better way to make this challenging than just filling the map with more and more wolves. And personally, it really turns me off the game, I'm really frustrated and annoyed by the wolves. Not, because I can't cope with them, but because this really isn't the game I signed up for.

Interestingly, when I have a problem with them it's usually a regular one and not one of the timberwolves. The latter, you can quite easily keep in check using the noise makers, but for some reason, at least sometimes, the regular ones seem to ignore them. I had multiple situations where I was attacked by a pack of timberwolves and made them flee using noisemakers, but the regular one that was close by ignored all of that and attacked me. Now, maybe you pros can easily distinguish the different types, but personally, at a short glance, I cannot tell if this is a regular wolf or a timberwolf. And if you can't tell, you're going to be in trouble, because the timberwolves won't stop growling and running into you (or rather close by) even when there scared.

I was close to stopping my playthrough, but I think I'll pull through, got more than half anyway, I think. But you can be sure that I'll never set foot into that stupid region in any of my (survival) playthroughs ever again. I've clearly had enough of it … In any case, I'll be very glad when Episode 4 is over and I'm pretty sure that, in contrast to the previous episodes, I'll never look back. Hope they don't mess up the final episode as well. :/

• Upvote 1

I hate torches because it's almost always windy in my interloper run.

That said, I simply walk away from wolves. IDK what the big deal is, if you keep your eyes & ears open. Timberwolves are annoying & still feel out of place in the game, though.