Change in Survival mode related to Episode 4 Update.

UTC-10

I hope this gets fixed. I just started a new run, but I'm go to stop for now.

I could see carcasses decaying over time. That they start so the second you touch them feels pretty artificial. But it needs to be a lot slower than just a few days

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:46 AM, UTC-10 said:

On other threads, Hinterland has said they're looking into the issue.  Apparently those carcasses disappearing was unintended. 

We are definitely reviewing, and appreciate the posts. Thank you for your patience as we investigate. 

Related to the consolidation of cured hides and guts that were 1% condition apart, I have found and manipulated the same thing for matches on a limited basis.  

I had 78% and 77% matches.  I was able to combine the 78% and 77% matches to get 78% matches. I have 79% matches but the 78% matches didn't combine with them, yet.  One can hope.  This applies on the same limited basis to cardboard and wood matches.  

The things one finds out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have made the belated discovery that (on my computer) that if I hit the "K" key the crafting menu comes up.  I found this out recently by accident as this was not a user configurable key like the keyboard adjacent key "J" for the Journal.   

Up until now I had always used the "J" key to get to the journal then mouse-selected the crafting graphic at the top.  I had been thinking that there should be a shortcut to the crafting menu and, to my surprise, there it was!  😲 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Petrichor said:

Anyone else having trouble finding a mag lens in ML since the update? I started a new run a few days ago, and I've checked all 4 potential spots in ML carefully, but to no avail. FWIW, I'm on a custom mode with Pilgrim-level loot.

I found one in camp office in ML and another in hunting lodge in BR in same gameplay about a week ago. I was playing pilgrim. 

Interesting thing to find out.  Note I play in Pilgrim. 

Wolves had killed two deer near the Wing on Timberwolf.  It was late and I harvested the hide and guts off one of the deer with the intent to return the next day and harvest all the rest.  I was staying in the Bear cave, because it was close and I had an Air BnB reservation, and dropped the hide and guts which started to cure.  

Next day I picked up the hide and guts, went to the other deer and harvested the hide and guts off it (and the venison off one of the carcasses) then went to the Echo Ravine Cave (aka Chasm Cave) and dropped the hides and guts.  To my surprise, as I was going to arrange them, I found that both hides and the guts I dropped were all 11% cured.  Can't be, right?  There was a set that should only be starting to cure.  But there they were.  Both hides and the four guts were all 11% cured.  

Baffling it was. 🙂

On 11/15/2021 at 1:46 AM, UTC-10 said:

I have made the belated discovery that (on my computer) that if I hit the "K" key the crafting menu comes up.  I found this out recently by accident as this was not a user configurable key like the keyboard adjacent key "J" for the Journal.   

Up until now I had always used the "J" key to get to the journal then mouse-selected the crafting graphic at the top.  I had been thinking that there should be a shortcut to the crafting menu and, to my surprise, there it was!  😲 

I tried that yesterday! I am glad that crafting menu has a key. Thanks for sharing. 

I discovered that down in the bowels of the Cinder Hills Mine Aurora annex that I could read the Advanced Guns Guns Guns (AGGG) book during the day while sitting waiting for the day to pass (and hopefully the aurora would appear to let me out).  

I recently tried using a hacksaw to cut up a metal shelving in the annex.  I found that during the day, not during the night, I could actually cut up the shelving without igniting a light source.  The same thing on the access passage to the elevator where there was a couple of metal shelving.  Now on that level technically there still was the "door" to the outside.  

This led me to think that if I can do that in the annex then how about in the upper part of Cinder Hills Mine (not the annex) which has a work bench?  I had never tried this because, obviously, it is DARK in there and no campfires means torches, flares or lanterns.  I went into the Cinder Hills Mine work bench and tried crafting a simple something or mending something, without a light source, and I could do it in the dark as long as it was day outside.  

Interesting.  I hope this would not be considered a bug and get "fixed".  I would find that very regrettable.  

Not quite on subject but only found out recently.  

Edited by UTC-10
Not on subject.

On 11/27/2021 at 9:23 PM, UTC-10 said:

I discovered that down in the bowels of the Cinder Hills Mine Aurora annex that I could read the Advanced Guns Guns Guns (AGGG) book during the day while sitting waiting for the day to pass (and hopefully the aurora would appear to let me out).  

I recently tried using a hacksaw to cut up a metal shelving in the annex.  I found that during the day, not during the night, I could actually cut up the shelving without igniting a light source.  The same thing on the access passage to the elevator where there was a couple of metal shelving.  Now on that level technically there still was the "door" to the outside.  

This led me to think that if I can do that in the annex then how about in the upper part of Cinder Hills Mine (not the annex) which has a work bench?  I had never tried this because, obviously, it is DARK in there and no campfires means torches, flares or lanterns.  I went into the Cinder Hills Mine work bench and tried crafting a simple something or mending something, without a light source, and I could do it in the dark as long as it was day outside.  

Interesting.  I hope this would not be considered a bug and get "fixed".  I would find that very regrettable.  

Not quite on subject but only found out recently.  

This is not a bug, and the game has worked this way for years. It makes sense from a gameplay POV; trying to drag enough fuel into some of those mine worktables to be able to make a really big item like say bear coat would be completely impracticable.

I am in Ash Canyon and always craft a stone cache (eventually two) near Angler's Den Cabin.  I don't want the graphics to interact so place the cache(s) at either end of the river island the cabin sits on.  Doesn't always work (the graphic interaction).  

I discovered that the game has now greater restrictions on where the cache can be placed.  There was an area with large flat-topped rocks at one end of the river island and I found, to my dismay, that I could no longer place the cache anywhere on those rocks as it was "too close to an object".  I put the cache on the snow at the other end of the river island which would be normally the site for the second cache. 

When did this get installed at Homesteader's Respite, Ash Canyon? 

I had stepped outside to admire the aurora and could hear an electrical sound (the crackling) that never was there in the four previous sandboxes.  I walked all over by the cabin and couldn't see anything.  Then I closed in on where the sound emanated from and looked up.  There it was?!?

I assume this was by intention though a close inspection of the inside of Homesteader's Respite did not show any lights other than the two outside lights on either side of the door and they had always been there and were never functional. So the cabin has one "aurora-powered light" outside.  Not sure why that was done.  

At least I finally found the ONLY working electric light in all of Ash Canyon.  I did not find the flashlight that spawned once at the Gold Mine but it might turn up somewhere. 

20211209150134_1.thumb.jpg.ee7b379951522d7fcf69d94c0da8c4c7.jpg

Not even an outdoor light.