Need some suggestions

Grignard_TN

One of the things I like about the Long Dark is that you're presented with situations you may not expect, and I've landed on one. Before I took a little break from playing, I had made it to the top of TWM and opened all the cargo containers. Now I have a real problem with having too much stuff. I traveled light but I had no idea how much stuff I would get.

What do you all do in this situation? Its quite a ways up to the top of TWM, so I hate to just leave it there and rely on going back for equipment. I've considered making my living space up there, but that doesn't seem to practical. I understand there is a pack in Ash Canyon that raises your carry limit. I was considering going for that then going back for as much as I can.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried hunting a moose? If you get the hide you can craft a moose satchel and carry more items. I'm not sure what difficulty you're playing on but if I were in pilgrim and your situation I would throw half of what I got, look for a rifle, hunt a moose and wait 10 days for it to cure. Then on the way back to Timberwolf Mt. I would kill 2 rabbits and get their guts. In Mystery Lake you can craft the satchel (taking 10 h). Then trek through Carter, Winding River, Pleasant Valley back to Timberwolf Mt.

the Ash Canyon gear will certainly help, and isn't too far out of your way.

Some of the summit stuff is unlikely to be that useful, especially when compared to their weight (how many lanterns or tool kits does one survivor need?!), and I usually condense the clothing I find by harvesting and repairing- better to have 2 x good condition gloves, than 6 x poor condition, plus it'll help your repair skill.

Finally, if you are feeling brave, you don't need to climb back down the mountain, there's a faster if more hair-raising route (tip- have bandages!)...

I've managed to lug almost 60kg of gear back to the crystal lake hut in a day before.

hope that helps!

Think about what you really need and only take that down to the Mountaineer's Hut. Much of it will be duplicates or things you can also get elsewhere. You can make two trips to get the most important stuff there. Where it can stay. There is no need to carry it all the way to PV.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

If I remember there's only one rope climb that you can't bypass and that's the summit one itself! Personally I would take down as much as the weight will let you. Have a quick rest at the bottom of the rope then go back up and take the rest down , at the bottom just pick up as much as you can carry and off you go! You could leave some less important stuff in caves on the way back! There's at least four including the ash canyon entrance!  

Good luck!

I think I may just have "gear-itis". Im playing on Voyageur so there is no way I'm going to use all that equipment. The only true prize is the two expedition parkas I found. I don't plan on playing this character after I reach 500 days. Voyageur is just to easy and I think I need to be playing on Stalker.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 6/16/2021 at 7:37 PM, Grignard_TN said:

gear-itis

I would like to borrow this at some point. Probably a lot. 🤣

Ah, right, on topic: there are a few ways to get down without climbing, some more dangerous (and brutal) than others. This way you should be able to get most of the stuff you want and that is perishable. If you really in the very distant future need to get another hammer because yours broke in a freak accident .... well, it'll still be there.

Edited by jeffpeng

20 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I would like to borrow this at some point. Probably a lot. 🤣

Ah, right, on topic: there are a few ways to get down without climbing, some more dangerous (and brutal) than others. This way you should be able to get most of the stuff you want and that is perishable. If you really in the very distant future need to get another hammer because yours broke in a freak accident .... well, it'll still be there.

I've been playing stalker and I don't know if I can go back to Voyageur any time soon. Going to HRV early in my game and nearly not making it was an ideal TLD experience for me.

On 6/16/2021 at 6:46 AM, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

there's a faster if more hair-raising route (tip- have bandages!)...

Actually, no need for bandages, once you fill up with sprains, you don't get any more of them! I also like to get naked. That way, my clothes doesn't get torn!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 12:59 PM, Stinky socks said:

Actually, no need for bandages, once you fill up with sprains, you don't get any more of them! I also like to get naked. That way, my clothes doesn't get torn!

Agreed.  You can only sprain two ankles and you can still keep crawling down the mountain.  Also, If you choose to do the ropes, remove all your clothes except shoes and crampons.  Allows you to carry more down the first time and get back up the rope without wasting as much energy.  

• Upvote 1

Don't make my mistake, I left all the suitcases at the crash site but when I came back they were empty. I really wanted to do repairs after weeks on the mountain explorinjg. Thankfully I had left all the chairs with cloth coverings in Desolate Point (2 cloths each)