Snares and wondering how they work...

Smellyfries

Greetings! I'm attempting to acquire the feat for Snaring 100 Rabbits.

I have a question about snares if someone would give me a idea answer.

How do Snares actually work? Do they actually require a rabbit to walk through them, or do they have a chance to snatch a rabbit after a  set time frame in a rabbit grove? This may be something I'll find out soon, but I'm hoping someone would give me some idea.

Thank you have a wonderful day!

No, the rabbits do not actually have to walk through the snares.  In fact, I've never actually seen a rabbit snared in the game.  The catches most frequently occur overnight, as long as you've placed the snares in an active raibbit grove (i.e. one that is spawning rabbits).  These active groves migrate around a little bit in the game... that is, some will deactivate and others will become active as you move through the area.  The number of active groves in the world may also diminish over time (depending on your settings), but the snaring apparently is not what causes the grove to become inactive.  It appears that the snares cause extra rabbits to spawn in the grove rather than depleting the rabbits that have spawned.  I believe there is a thread reporting the results of experiments people have done regarding the snares.  It's probably in the archives.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know much about this but it is my understanding that if placed in a rabbit area there is a chance that the snare will catch a rabbit (usually over night) and a chance that the snare breaks. I guess the percentages depend on the amount of rabbits present and the weather.

That's how I think about it and so far all my observations match this.

• Upvote 1

When you set a snare, it begins a 12 hour timer. After being set for 12 hours (or when you return if you've left the area and come back) it will check whether the snare has caught a rabbit.

If the check is successful, a dead rabbit is created at the snare and the snare is disabled. The number of snares in the area has no negative effect on this check as far as can be detected, so it's usually smart to set a large number of snares in the area of a rabbit grove and check them once or twice a day.

Some claim that rabbit snares return decreasing numbers over time. I've not seen any solid evidence if this is a myth, or if true, whether it's due to the player's actions or simply an effect of decreasing animal spawn rates as time passes.

Good luck with your hunt! May all your rabbits be fat and slow.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 5:50 AM, Jimmy said:

or when you return if you've left the area and come back

Meaning the zone vs. transitioning into a building I assume.  So, if you can find a rabbit grove near a zone transition, you could set the snares, zone out, zone back in and...rabbit stew?  If that's true, you could catch a HUGE amount in a very small amount of time.