The Carter Dam gate is NOT safe to leave open anymore

straffin

I've never had the joy of taunting a predator through the open Carter Dam gate and I apparently never will. I just watched from mid-yard as a wolf walked RIGHT IN through the open gate (that I'd only left open because folks here said you could 😕). I ran up to the front door and pulled out my bow. Aiming an arrow at it put in in aggro, but it squealed and fled once it reached the base of the steps, so can't-climb-steps is still apparently a thing even though leave-the-gate-open-it's-fine is not.

This may be related to folks finding that wolves are now capable of entering the Mountaineer's Hut in TWM.

• Upvote 1

Okay... I literally paused the game as soon as this happened to come here and post the above info. Returning to the game, the wolf was still in the yard, running about like a crazy thing. He ran from the gate back to the building, right up the snowy hill to the left of the door AND RIGHT INTO THE SHATTERED THIRD STORY WINDOW!! I could hear him walking about literally right above me. 

THEN...ANOTHER WOLF CAME IN THE YARD THROUGH THAT STUPID OPEN GATE! I had come down from the steps to look for the now-growling-at-me wolf in the window (couldn't see him, but the sound was definitely coming from there) and heard footsteps from behind. Back up on the steps I went and tried the arrow trick again. This time, I loosed an arrow as the wolf got to the steps THEN RAN HALFWAY UP THEM. 😲 He then glitch-froze right there, growling but still-as-a-statue about three feet in front of me. I pulled back another arrow, took careful aim, and dropped him with a shaft in the eye.

I then literally paused the game as soon as THIS happened to come here and post THIS.

Is it weird that I'm a little afraid to go back and see what happens next? 

Edited by straffin
grammar
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Last report on this matter. Harvested the wolf on the steps and made a run for the trailers (where I'm currently holed up). Roof wolf followed and I closed the gate on it before running on to my trailer. Heard it barking A LOT from the yard but it was too dark and snowy to see where it was. I tried to see him anyway and ALMOST made it into the trailer before it pounced on me after somehow escaping (glitching out of?) the yard. Two bites, a sprained wrist, and a slice or two into the wolf and I'll look for pelt/meal #2 in the morning, both in-game and IRL. Good night.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

You are a brave soul, strafing. Wandering around after dark like that in the long dark..

Funny story... I was actually standing on the step into the trailer, listening to the growl, trying to see exactly where it was coming from when it suddenly came right at me. No walking, just too slow at turning an opening the trailer door. 🤣

• Like 1

If memory serves, awhile back after a few rounds of pathfinding improvements/tweaks it allowed wolves to be able to follow us into caves as well as through open fence gates (among other things).  I know that once upon a time, wolves would be "frightened" of cave mouths and gates, but as far as I've experienced... that's no longer the case.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
The last I checked though, Fishing Huts (even one's without doors) were still "safe"... for a short while some years ago that had changed (and I got chewed on by a wolf that ran inside the hut and grabbed me), but at some point later that had been changed back again.  I didn't find out about that until someone in the community pointed out (I'd just conditioned myself to never think of fishing huts without doors as ever being safe - and I still continue to treat them as such).  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

On 2/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, odizzido said:

Roof dogs. Working as intended. I heard they're getting spider web glands next patch so they can slowly and silently lower themselves down on you when you try to pry open the gas station door in milton.

next stop.... Drop Bears.