Gold Mine, Ash Canyon, The deep "hole" out back. Did you see?

UTC-10

20210203103030_1.jpg.7afaca51a5b1c6916a137e968459818f.jpg

A corpse and backpack (sorry for the poor quality) down at the bottom of that deep hole out behind the Gold Mine.  You can see in the image a couple of cedar limbs and a rose hip bush.  I looked around and didn't see any climbing rocks to attach a mountaineering rope (which I didn't have anyway) so it might be doable getting down there without dying but I would not have any expectation of someone being able to get back up.  

I think this is an anomaly.  No way the devs would deliberately put a corpse and backpack at the bottom of one of the deepest sheer pits in Ash Canyon.  Would they? 😲

You can easily go down but no you can’t get back up- it’s one way only. over to the left you can rope climb back to the ridge over the mine if you didn’t take it.  I actually usually take that one if there is no other rope spawn (usually there isn’t on interloper) and I use it to have access back from the gold mine so I can easier return to the folly. 

• Like 1

As I was speculating on another thread, I think Ash Canyon is essentially an unfinished zone and will change somemore (particularly the gold mine area) when Episode 4 gets released.  The same way the Cinder Hills Coal Mine changed when they added Episode 2 (or was it 3? -  hmmm) and Pleasant Valley changed when they added Episode 3.

3 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

Where the part 4 is? Has there been a statement? 

I think it was last mentioned in the year-end summary announcement (I'll go back into that section of the forum and try to find it for you).  Raph mentioned they had made good progress on Episode 4.  No release date has been announced yet though as far as I know.

ETA:  Here is a quote from the "Happy Holidays from Hinterlands" post (in the News and Updates section):

"

We also made a ton of headway on Episode Four, which we're excited to share with you in 2021.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I can agree that it is not obviously impossible - those are not sheer vertical walls - that one could come up from the bottom, I'd just think it is very unlikely.  I am just disinclined to try and find out for myself.  In the game, I have run into snow slopes which don't look too steep but were impassable (or blocked by force planes) and those slopes look to be too steep.  I am leery of possible one-way paths. 

Also the likely rewards, even in Pilgrim, for the risk, as I see it, is not worth the risk. 

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

I'm going to lie? I did, and before I went in there, I killed the American deer on my way. 

I don’t think you are lying you are just mistaken. You cannot climb back up.  There isn’t even a deer in the way down so you are clearly not familiar with the map. 
  Besides the OP is only playing on pilgrim. just go down and when you find you can’t get back up it’s hardly a big deal. you can’t die on pilgrim. 

2 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

Isn't that a three-way rope climb? 

The photo shows the place under the first rope. Am I wrong? 

You can see an American deer on the way there (probable) so I went down there and went back and took the deer skin and went to Angler's den. 

No there is not a three way rope climb. There is no deer on the way down other than the carcass.  There is either a rope climb back up to the ridge over the mine or a one way “mountain goat” downhill (or of course return back to the gold mine). that’s it. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

24 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

Isn't this the end of the ropes at the exit of the gold mine? 

You sound like you are talking about the location southeast of this one. This location if you mountain goat down cannot be climbed back up.  you would have to head southeast and rope climb from there back to the ridge and back through the mine to get back to this location

check out the map here and look at position A400. it is ONE WAY only if you mountain goat down  

https://gameplay.tips/guides/9119-the-long-dark.html

Q.E.D.

Edited by Schrodingers Box

47 minutes ago, Schrodingers Box said:

That’s not it. Of course you can go up that way. 

I’m not sure what you’re talking about but I’m talking about the screenshot that @UTC-10posted to start this thread. You can climb down into that valley, loot the corpse that’s there, then walk back out up the slope. 

• Upvote 2

The ropes in that area don't show on the screenshot, since I was looking more downward in order to get the shot, and I was looking around to see if there was another climbing point to get down there but didn't see any. 

I was concerned because it is easy to go down a slope that cannot be climbed.  So a couple of people have gone down there and gotten back up, that is nice confirmation.  Thanks. 

• Upvote 1