What is your favorite homebase ?

Vareta

On 12/23/2020 at 10:13 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

Hunter's Lodge in Broken Railroad.  A forge close by.  A six-burner stove and two fireplaces.  A workbench in the basement.  Often a moose out the front door and rabbits.  There's a bear just down below, along with deer, more rabbits and plenty of wolves (which is why many avoid the area) all down below... but just one or maybe two patrolng by the lodge itself (easy to clear out).  The forge has a lovely outdoor porch with a bed and you can build a fire in the porch if you know the "just right" spot.  Lots of shelves for making scrap metal for forging arrowheads and such and for fixing the hacksaw.  Coal is somewhat limited at that forge, but it can be imported from Forlorn Muskeg if needed.

There is also a nice cave on the top level with rabbits out the front of it if you don't want to go down to the porch at the forge.

The only thing is lacks is a fishing hut.

I couldn't agree more. I've spent more time at the Hunter's Lodge than anywhere else. The region has everything you could want, outside of fishing, and IMO the fact the region is smaller makes it better - less time wasted travelling far & wide. Cabin Fever is a non-issue with that handy bed at the Maintenance Shed Porch. Plenty of wildlife. Very hard to get disoriented in a blizzard. It's my retirement home.

The only downside is no fishing hut* - but honestly I find it a very quick trip across FM to ML anyway. Makes for a nice occasional road trip, IMO. (same goes for getting more coal, can even get to BI quickly, as well)

*this game should have the option of ice fishing with no hut! I used to do it all the time IRL!

3 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

Trapper's Homestead is my vacation home.

Trapper's Homestead is my home. 

Although I do agree the Camp Office is a more practical home, the Trapper's Homestead just feels different. Small, secluded, abundant wildlife, pretty interior. I just love it,

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, wilsonaka said:

The cave by the 3 cabins on Mystery Lake. That's my favorite home-base. Yes, it's easy. that's why I like it so much.

I’ve used that one a lot as well, usually to sleep while crafting gear so I don’t get cabin fever.  Until I realized that I could make a snow shelter behind the Camp Office and wouldn’t have to make that trek so often.  A few sticks a day and a few minutes to repair keeps it at 100%.  If you let it go below 75% then it wants cloth to fix as well.  I could live there in Mystery lake passing time in the snow shelter pretty much forever.  

I always used to love camp office, my first ever proper base and in future games I never really left. Oh, I'd venture out, make mini bases in other regions, but always considered camp office home. Its the centre of the centre of great bear currently, and handy for hauling materials from other regions. Lots of room to laythings out, shelves to organise things. The update that cluttered it up was somewhat of a downer, but I got used to it. I even made a friend in the corpse that spawned inside, I consider games where he spawns lucky. I call him sparky, and he holds all my matches and fire starting materials. 

Recently though, I have come to love desolation point. After a rough start where I lost a 150 day play through by getting stuck in a hole in a rock, I finally ventured back to the region and discovered the true beauty of the lonely lighthouse. Its my new favourite, im in the progress of starting a new survival and basing there. Its out of the way, I have to cross bridges and avoid wolves to get in, but the forge and crafting bench are relatively close by, even if they are not insid the light house. There is only a little pot belly stove, but I don't mind that so much.

There's plenty of containers, floor storage space, and its tidy! I can spread things out over levels, having some nice separate rooms to my base. The view is amazing. And there is only one bed, which sounds stupid but is a huge plus for me. I feel sad sleeping in an area with multiple beds if I'm the only one in the world. Like, someone could be sleeping here with me, but nope, they're all dead. 

As a bonus there is easy access to beachcombing too, which I didn't really have at ML.

• Upvote 1

The cabin fever thing is real.  In Coastal Highway my 'vacation home' is the fishing hut between the town site and Misanthrope's Island. You can spread a sleeping roll out on to of the storage cabinets and keep the stove running in the overnight while camping or going fishing!  Yummers!  I also have about a metric ton of lamp oil if anybody needs some.  :)

Ah fresh air and peace and quiet...  :)

CH.Vacation.home.jpg

For me it's the Old Spence Family Homestead in Forlorn Muskeg.

Reasons:

• No one has mentioned it yet, and I like to be original.
  • It's a very airy and ventilated structure.
  • Returning home in inclement weather is always an exciting experience.
  • Forlorn Muskeg is now a cool region because it's one of the most connected. We have Mountain Town to the North, Broken Railroad to the West, Mystery Lake to the East, and Bleak Inlet to the South.
  • Plenty of communication opportunities (lots of shortwave towers in Forlorn Muskeg!)
  • All kinds of wildlife around you can shoot without even exiting the building.
  • Powerful heating system. 
  • A safe to store all your valuables (money to use as tinder, meat).
  • A workbench (currently used as a Recycled Cans display table).
  • Located in a region rich in coal and mushrooms, essential for survival (if you know what I mean).
  • Forlorn Muskeg doesn't have possible spawns of Prepper's Caches, but hey, we have possible spawns of Abadoned Camps — better than nothing.

screen_b100b44c-aa61-4ff9-844f-36f2694fa126_hi-text.thumb.png.91989bf75abd001a0dbe44ca3250ecf5.png

View of Forlorn Muskeg from Marsh Ridge.

"The weakest ice in all Great Bear Island." (TripAdvisor review)

"I didn't realise my lodgings would literally be a train carriage!" (AirBnB review)

"Google Street View is outdated, I found a cave where a rock wall was supposed to be." (R. Von Lindt, local guide, Google Maps review)

Edited by Morrick
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 3:06 AM, piddy3825 said:

Hands down, it's the Mountaineer's Hut in TimberWolf Mountain!

It's perfect for that seasoned adventurer that's willing to bring a few items along to improve the quality of life there.
The hut is perfectly suited for survival, providing ample storage as well as a crafting table.  The immediate environment provides 
an abundance of wood and sticks for firewood and the nearby prolific rabbit population will easily augment your dietary requirements
should you choose to avail yourself of those resources.  You gotta nearby fishing shack for food and lamp oil replenishment, not to mention
a consistently crazing deer population nearby and the nearby wolf population is manageable most of the time.  There's also the reoccurring bear 
spawn nearby that is easily dispatched when necessary, not to mention the moose spawn area that is close by as well.
On the plus side of course now is that if you wanna go to Ash Canyon, you're gonna go by hut to get there.  Bonus to getting that new backpack and
those crampons for when you feel like scaling the summt!

The Summit provides...

Only downside is that you wont find any two liter pots in TWM, nor is there a forge, so you'd have to bring a good supply of arrow heads, improvised axe and knifes along.  Also definite lack of scrap metal, so that becomes important as well, especially if you want to repair all those lanterns you'll be retrieving from the summit, lol:lantern:

screen_ad6d7079-ffce-4252-aa1c-ef5f1c4c9c6d_hi.thumb.png.7396707baed671f670c4dd1263a49f78.png

How do you stack your items like that? Mine always say they are to close or some shit 

1 hour ago, Diogo Guerreiro said:

How do you stack your items like that? Mine always say they are to close or some shit 

It's not so much stacking, honestly but more like "creative dropping" in most cases.  And a lot of fast clicking as you can sometimes jiggle an item that your having difficulty placing and lmb click rapidly as your trying to place it and sometimes you get a lock.  Like when I prop up a rifle against a bed or a chair.   Most stuff doesn't stack at all, so I generally lay one item down and then begin to drop items from my inventory, one by one.  I move a nudge to the left, drop an item and then take a step to the right. drop an item.  Then I bring my knees in tight... But it's the pelvic thrust, that really drops things amazing...  like that big pile of chips on the floor, that would be a mass drop of 30 bags or more.

you know you can climb up on the beds up here, makes dropping stuff easier than in most places especially after you've laid out the stuff you wanna show off.  for example, the bed with the rifles on it with the bow underneath.  I laid the bow there using the placement system, then arranged all the toques before dropping the rifles on top.  Same with putting all the boots down on the floor under the bed before I dropped the bear rug.  you can see the boots clipping up thru the bear hide.  doesn't bother me any...

I really wish we could just hang stuff off of walls but the only way to do that is to use the "curing in place glitch" which is what I did to get the deer hide up on the fireplace mantel.