Snow Blindness Injury

Derek0311

Can snow blindness be added were walking around outside during the day causes an increased risk of snow blindness, similar to eating wolf causes an increased risk of parasites?  As the condition gets worse have the screen bleach out and pain killers needed.  Eye protection could be added as a wearable slot in inventory or could be crafted from birch bark and line to prevent the affliction.

Edited by Derek0311
  • Upvote 3

Add a new slot I think.  I’d also want a new slot for crampons or snowshoes.  The screen could also become more like a letterbox as the players eyes would instinctively shut as it got worse.  Blurry vision from eyes tearing up.  Hinterland could go as far or as short as with it as they want.

• Like 1

@Satouthedeusmusco.  You make a good point.  It is one more piece of “required” kit like clothing, since the cold is is a constant punishment as well.  I would not want to see it be a difficult thing to get eye protection.  In a place like Forlorn Muskeg it would be a huge problem; in the woods/shade less so (snow blindness that is).   In real life I saw a guy get a mild case and have to be guided off the mountain.  Another time, another person forget his sunglasses and cut two slits on the brim of his hat; problem solved.  So the fix doesn’t have to be hard but you’re right, it is “one more thing.”

Edited by Derek0311
Clarity

I like this idea... only I would make it preventable by merely equipping a ball cap instead of a toque on bright, sunny days.  The rabbitskin hat could also work as a preventative measure (assuming that it's design comes with a flap of some sort that protects the eyes).

Fixing it could be as simple as popping some pain killers and cutting slits in a bandage to be worn for a few hours.

Considering we have Cabin Fever to deter too much indoor time... I think it might be hard to balance something like Snow-Blindness that would deter too much outdoor time.

:coffee::fire:
Because we already have Cabin Fever, which indicates to me that Hinterland wants to encourage players to be outside as much as possible... that it wouldn't be likely to have Snow Blindness added (simply because I think that would kind of undermine the whole idea of incentivizing the players to be outdoors as much as possible).

Edited by ManicManiac

@Mr. 0  Can you unwrap that a little more.  Food in TLD has no calories, heat in TLD isn’t felt, animals in TLD are not killed.  Are you saying the programmers would have to map out where and when it would be an issue?

@UpUpAway95. IRL it’s not that simple.  Snow blindness is more from light reflecting off the snow then direct sun action.  But for an in game thing maybe.

@Avril I don’t think that would work or I would expect to see more skiers and boarders doing it over opting for goggles.  It would probably slow the injury but not stave it off completely. 

@ManicManiac  Good to see you.  I see your point but I would argue instead that it would force the player to spend more time outdoors in the hours between dusk and dawn.

However, I’m not saying it has to be a difficult thing; just another thing to consider.

33 minutes ago, Derek0311 said:

I see your point but I would argue instead that it would force the player to spend more time outdoors in the hours between dusk and dawn.

But you see that argument also supports my  point... it would still be deterring the player from spending time outside (which would run counter to what Hinterland was seemingly encouraging when they chose to add Cabin Fever).

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

No, I’m saying that the player could spend an equal amount of time outside but more time spent outside at night.  But the problem could also be solved simply by getting eye protection; again, not a hard task.  The eye protection may get damaged later in the game from a wolf or something, making a replacement set a new emerging challenge.

43 minutes ago, Derek0311 said:

I don’t think that would work or I would expect to see more skiers and boarders doing it over opting for goggles.  It would probably slow the injury but not stave it off completely

From wiki: "The SAS Survival Guide recommends blackening the skin underneath the eyes with charcoal (as the ancient Egyptians did) to avoid any further reflection."

Yes, charcoal is an emergency solution. 

Edited by Avril

1 hour ago, Derek0311 said:

@Mr. 0  Can you unwrap that a little more.  Food in TLD has no calories, heat in TLD isn’t felt, animals in TLD are not killed.  Are you saying the programmers would have to map out where and when it would be an issue?

@UpUpAway95. IRL it’s not that simple.  Snow blindness is more from light reflecting off the snow then direct sun action.  But for an in game thing maybe.

@Avril I don’t think that would work or I would expect to see more skiers and boarders doing it over opting for goggles.  It would probably slow the injury but not stave it off completely. 

@ManicManiac  Good to see you.  I see your point but I would argue instead that it would force the player to spend more time outdoors in the hours between dusk and dawn.

However, I’m not saying it has to be a difficult thing; just another thing to consider.

... and TLD is not IRL.  It's a game.  My suggestions are designed such that the affliction can be added to the game without the need to add in specialized equipment in such a way that it becomes totally preventable if the player chooses to forfeit some warmth for a hat with a visor on bright sunny days.  The ball cap is light in weigh and common within the loot tables.  Bandages are also lightweight.  Charcoal could also be added to a list of preventative measures the player could take without much difficulty.  No need to add a rare item like goggles to a growing list of such very specialized items that add to a player's overall carryweight.  This also means it would not be a deterrent to going outside at odds with the currently existing affliction of cabin fever.  Perhaps for balance, sprains could be set to occur less frequently.

@UpUpAway95  I think we agree and I thought that’s how I wrote it.  For an in-game solution maybe that is a way to implement it.  Also snow blindness is only a problem during the day.  At night there is no risk.  So, it only shifts when the player would choose to be outside, provided the don’t have eye protection.

Edited by Derek0311
Clarity

@Avril  Sounds good.  I’m going to try it this winter but I’ll keep my goggles with me just in case.  My wife will have to guide me around if this all goes wrong😄.  I think it is probably true for emergencies but for a permanent solution...; I won’t know till I try.

Edited by Derek0311

I am very curious how you make particl effect of glowing snow, how you control it, thru simulated sun rays (you should see it in real time, simple increasing affliction indicator during the day it looks like more stupid cabin fever and it would be totally lazy implementation).

Also, it could work on Timberwolf top, but in low areas, its almost every day pretty cloudy anyway.

So i am not interested.

Edited by Mr. 0

15 hours ago, Mr. 0 said:

I am very curious how you make particl effect of glowing snow, how you control it, thru simulated sun rays (you should see it in real time, simple increasing affliction indicator during the day it looks like more stupid cabin fever and it would be totally lazy implementation).

Also, it could work on Timberwolf top, but in low areas, its almost every day pretty cloudy anyway.

So i am not interested.

On easier difficulties, blizzards are less frequent and this setting is also controllable in custom.  This makes for more sunny days overall.  This then could be an affliction that is actually more frequent at lower difficulty settings than at the higher ones.  They would have to be careful with the particle effect though - I wouldn't want to see them unduly strain the player's eyes IRL.

When you are too much time in the cold outside, your cornea can start to freeze and then you are blind until it unfreezes (i am not shure if it is reversible) so when the temperatures outside are really really cold we could start to get a blindness risk witch would not happen all the time outside and clothes like the balaclava could prevent this. or maybe a new accesory: ski glasses. it would protect the eyes from freezing.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Big bump but hey  this is one idea I've also had on my wishlist for ages. Easy & practical, too: take a look at Inuit goggles, the world's first sunglasses. Traditionally carved out of walrus tusks, but also easily made by simply making slits in a strap of leather or even cloth.

XzOttG4uEUNa5-rbGUENxl5WQ3pHz62RbKMf6OqR

• Upvote 1