Buff the fishing

oplli

fishing is for now the worst food gathering activity if we look at time spent/calories or food gained.

you can spend 12 hours fishing and only ge tlike 6 fishes. if you hunt for twelve hours you can get a LOT of meat. way more than fishs. and beside of that fishes are really heavy. it takes a long long time ot get fishes back home and you dont get a lot of  calories. fishes need buff and those are my ideas:

making between 1000 and 700 calories / for a kg of fish depending of the specie

giving way more oil when the fish is cooked. 

being able to craft a fish bundle : it is a bag that you can place in the acessory slot of the clothing. it  can be crafted with guts scrap metal and rabbitskin hide. it lets you have a X number of fishes hooked on that bag and it makes all the fishes hooked on weight 30% less. we can have two at the same time unlike moose hide sachel.

i think that all of those ideas would make the thing better but only one or two would be enough to make this activity more interesting :) 

A craftable accessory for carrying fish sounds interesting, I immagine a wooden pole with multiple metal hooks on it, that allow you to carry fish over your shoulder.

Alternatively, I like the idea of 'gutting' fish to reduce the carrying weight.

I suspect fish are currently balanced the way Hinterland wants .... so that difficult and dangerous hunting IS better for gathering food. Having said that, I'd like to see a couple of new fish types.... A saltwater only oily fish (0.05l oil) and a freshwater only meaty fish (improved calorie density).

• Upvote 1

I really like the balance Hinterland has already achieved with fishing.  Sure, on unlucky days the catch can be slim... but on luckier days we can make quite a haul.  I don't think fishing needs to be made any easier...  I think it's already the safest way to collect calories (right along with setting rabbit snares).

To me, I think that between all the factors it's a fair trade off.  I think if it was both safe, super easy, and super profitable... then we'd have no incentive at all to look for other food sources.  So, I'm glad the fish are a bit hefty... I'm glad the oil production rate from cooking them is low.  I think it's a fare trade off for how safe it is to just fish for food.  Yes, there is a risk in hauling them, but that just prompts the player to have to be careful and really plan ahead (like making sure the path back to camp is clear).

I think that if they increased the catch rate... made it easy to haul huge loads of fish... and made them gush with lamp oil... that it would kind of ruin fishing.   I think it would just turn fishing into a cheap tactic, which (to me) would just feel like a cop out... and I'm not in favor of that.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

Fishing is a tough one because of how it works. It ends up being either not worth doing, or the only thing worth doing(minus low hanging fruit or specific requirements).

It's kinda like rabbit snaring. Is the time and resources spent making the snares worth it? It seems to be a yes or no question.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, odizzido said:

Fishing is a tough one because of how it works. It ends up being either not worth doing, or the only thing worth doing(minus low hanging fruit or specific requirements).

It's kinda like rabbit snaring. Is the time and resources spent making the snares worth it? It seems to be a yes or no question.

Snaring is great combined with rock tossing and/or archery early on in my opinion.  Quick way to raise carcass harvesting, archery, and cooking.  Heck I've even grinded a level or two of revolver skill on them. Edited to add:  On rabbits I mean.

Edited by Willbonney