What has been your Most Ridiculous Long Dark Survival Mode Death (s)?

PurpleWolf13

So this was a topic idea I've been mulling over about for a while. It is like some other posts out there but I wanted to it anyways.               Basically, what is your most ridiculous death(s) in Survival Mode of The Long Dark? AKA, dying because of a glitch, things going downhill way too quickly or doing something utterly stupid? Deaths that had you sit and stare at the screen like, "Did that really just happen? I lost a save because of THAT?"

Here's mine;

(1)I was living at the farm in Pleasant Valley and things were looking pretty good. Had the rifle, went out at night for some reason and encountered a bear. Tried to shoot to kill, and I got mauled. I survived, but did the most stupid thing imaginable afterwards. I was RIGHT NEXT to a vehicle, so I could have gone in to patch myself up before retreating home (my base was literally so close to where I had got attacked) BUT NO. I pick up the rifle and try to shoot the bear in the...rear-end, the butt essentially. And what do you know, the bear turned around and mauled me for the second time. Surprisingly I managed to survive yet another round of getting mauled. So now I was like, "Gotta get into this vehicle to heal myself now!" Got in the vehicle but before I had a chance to do anything, I died of blood loss. That's my utterly stupid death.

(2) I shared this death somewhere else, and this is more of a death relating to a glitch, I think? So I was in Coastal Highway and had killed my first moose. As I was harvesting it, a bear came by and I killed it as well. However, I had gotten Hypothermia so I had to retreat to my base nearby (which was a well insulated house, and this wasn't during the Winter's Embrace event) made a fire, ate and drank before going to sleep. I got the message that my Hypothermia had passed but I ended up dying anyways. And there wasn't anything else wrong with me. Man, that death was frustrating and ridiculous.

(3) Here is my things going downhill way too quickly death. This was one of my very early saves, when I still was new to the game. Was in Mountain Town and ran out of food and as I was horrible with hunting then and found few carcasses, I was forced to retreat to a new region in search of nourishment. I rope-climbed down into the lower section of the map and found myself in Forlorn Muskeg. Yep, one of the worst places for someone in my situation and state to go. But I merely pushed on. Nearly died due to freezing and exhaustion, but somehow managed to survive. At night, I got mauled by a bear and did survive and patch myself up. Afterwards, though, I was in a sort of a panic to get far away from the bear and I ended up falling through cracked ice and drowning. My best save yet back then, where things went sour fast in the matter of a day or so.

Apologies for my long ramble, I just enjoy talking about The Long Dark and sharing my misadventures 🐺💜

So what are the deaths you had where you just stared, raged at or sat there gaping? 

• Upvote 2

On 6/2/2020 at 8:49 PM, ManicManiac said:

Every attempt to complete my personal challenge that was cut short because I found an "Instant Kill Spot" causing me to have to start over from scratch. :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I've been working on completing this personal challenge for over a year now :D

• Upvote 1

Travelling from the camp office to Forlorn forge to make some arrow heads. I fell thru the ice so my health was in the red. I got to the forge and started to build a fire. A wolf was poking it head thru two planks in the back walI, just to the right of the forge. It looked like it was stuck. I drew my bow, moved in a wee bit closer... and the wolf attacked me thru the frickin wall. I died. All I had to do was light the fire and jump in the bed up in the loft but noooooooo.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stirfoo said:

Travelling from the camp office to Forlorn forge to make some arrow heads. I fell thru the ice so my health was in the red. I got to the forge and started to build a fire. A wolf was poking it head thru two planks in the back walI, just to the right of the forge. It looked like it was stuck. I drew my bow, moved in a wee bit closer... and the wolf attacked me thru the frickin wall. I died. All I had to do was light the fire and jump in the bed up in the loft but noooooooo.

That wolf is a hacker that needs to be reported to Hinterland 🐺

Bears seem to love you so much !

Mine was the first experience in interloper.

It was when the hypothermia almost killed me. I managed to lit a campfire using my last match, and I stood up to put a bedroll. Then my body started to drift due to low condition.

I ended up dancing in the flame.

• Upvote 1

Crossing the log bridge in the Raven Falls Ravine.  My cat jumped up in my lap and jostled my mouse hand.  I looked down at the cat, and by the time I looked back up at the screen I realized I had actually walked off the bridge.  I was a little confused at what I was seeing at first, and by the time I realized I was falling I didn't have enough reaction time to process the thought "Hit Esc, quit game!"  So, splat.  (Normally I believe in owning up to the consequences of your actions, but unwanted feline intervention warrants a pass.)

• Upvote 1

1.)  Trying to take a "shortcut" along the cliffs east of the trailer at the "Train Unloading" In Coastal Highway for a faster route to the "Abandoned Lookout". This was one of those infamous "Instant-kill" spots as I did not fall, nor was I injured or had any afflictions.

2.) Double Bear mauling during an Aurora at Bear Creek in Coastal Highway. I shot an arrow near it, but just wanted to scare it off. Yup.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, stranger001 said:

Bears seem to love you so much !

Mine was the first experience in interloper.

It was when the hypothermia almost killed me. I managed to lit a campfire using my last match, and I stood up to put a bedroll. Then my body started to drift due to low condition.

I ended up dancing in the flame.

Yeah they do LOL. You would think that love would mean not mauling me, though. And interesting first Interloper experience!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, ajb1978 said:

Crossing the log bridge in the Raven Falls Ravine.  My cat jumped up in my lap and jostled my mouse hand.  I looked down at the cat, and by the time I looked back up at the screen I realized I had actually walked off the bridge.  I was a little confused at what I was seeing at first, and by the time I realized I was falling I didn't have enough reaction time to process the thought "Hit Esc, quit game!"  So, splat.  (Normally I believe in owning up to the consequences of your actions, but unwanted feline intervention warrants a pass.)

This was my first thought, but you already have exactly experienced one of my deaths... I raised my voice at my cat :(

My first voyage into forlorn I was apprehensive already hearing of the horror that awaited me.  I pushed along an unfamiliar coast with little in the way of provisions.  I had survived 130 days after all, what could touch me now?  A dense fog rolled in coupled with an unrelenting chill.  All I had was a few sticks so I started a fire behind a log.  With the fire burned out and no idea where i was, retreat was not an option for some reason.  Oh it was dusk now by the way...the best time for frozen disoriented groping in the fog filled darkness.  I walked along the bank cautiously and heard a bark to my left!  Run into the abyss I thought.  Onto some Ice around a rock I thought. I shall make a desperate run to safety, cracking ice beneath my feet.  Surely there is a solid bit of ground out there... No I fell through the ice.  After surfacing I searched blindly for the sweet ground I had left.  Only to be tackled and ravaged by the furry jerk that had sunk me to begin with. 

Edited by haft2doit
only one of many stupid deaths
  • Like 1