Back at the Cannery in Bleak Inlet again.

dahemac

I have returned through blizzards of timberwolves to the machine shop with so so many tools etal that needed the Milling Machine.

And I feel pressed again to say that the cannery platforming is interesting to explore once, the first time you visit. Thereafter it is just irritating and tedious.

It does not make access to the machine shop harder. When in Bleak Inlet I traverse it sometimes four times a day, in all weather.

It does not add anything to the game after the first time you have discovered it. It just wastes your time.

And it is frustrating. One of the dead guys lying around rearranged various things to get above the Timberwolves. But he must have been on hallucinogens when he did that.

Anyone would tie a climbing rope somewhere closer to the end, or move a ladder to climb either directly onto the outer warf or up where the last broken stairs are.

I can’t agree with game mechanics that just make you do something no one would twice, over and over and over and over.

Ideally once you got into the cannery you would be able to rig something less crazy.

• Upvote 2

I feel your pain!  The novelty of the cannery parkour course is quickly exhausted and does become tedious and boring very quickly after having to do it with each and every visit to the workshop.    Honestly can't wait til modding TLD comes of age so that we can move a ladder or jump up on a crate or whatever without having to repetitiously climb that damn rope...   Unfortunately @dahemac that's not gonna be changing any time soon.

• Upvote 1

". . . can't wait til modding TLD . . . "

With modding you can edit your save file so that you can return your axes, knives guns etc, (and everything else), to 100% condition.  Instead of the hassle of going to Bleak Inlet to The Cannery to make ammunition you can stay in ML Camp Office and give yourself as much ammunition as you could use in a hundred years.

Mods are great.  They save you all the hassle of wandering around in the cold looking for food and shelter.  You can fill your cabin with food galore so that you needn't go outside and risk being attacked by bears and wolves.   Perhaps the next mod we need is a TV in the Camp Office so that we can spend the whole TLD adventure watching movies.

I agree with the OP 100%.  I've done the "obstacle course" about 20 times now. and each time i think, why not just let me push a plank over to connect the pier ... or at least let me drop a rope 2 feet down onto the ice. (or better yet, let me "climb" onto the, obviously reachable, pier with my normal reach.  

We have to make this happen Hinterland .... and by we i mean you. 

1 hour ago, past caring said:

Because every mod in every game ever, has always effectively been a "cheat".

Aye, right.

hmmm...  I don't think a mod that allows me to move a box or crate so I can bridge the gap on a broken stairway to be "cheating,"  I'd call that "immersive".   Same goes for a mod that would allow me to place items on the top shelf of a 4 tier metal shelving unit in game.  How is that a cheat?   But then again their are some game purists who wouldn't want to change anything and I can respect their view and still disagree with their semantics.  

9 hours ago, peteloud said:

". . . can't wait til modding TLD . . . "

With modding you can edit your save file so that you can return your axes, knives guns etc, (and everything else), to 100% condition.  Instead of the hassle of going to Bleak Inlet to The Cannery to make ammunition you can stay in ML Camp Office and give yourself as much ammunition as you could use in a hundred years.

Mods are great.  They save you all the hassle of wandering around in the cold looking for food and shelter.  You can fill your cabin with food galore so that you needn't go outside and risk being attacked by bears and wolves.   Perhaps the next mod we need is a TV in the Camp Office so that we can spend the whole TLD adventure watching movies.

no...  not advocating anything of the sort.  that in the words of @past caring, would be cheating...  I'm taking about common sense mods that would allow for some common sense gameplay making this game even more immersive.  Things like craftable tanning racks for curing hides...  Wall sconces to put torches in and maybe some hooks I could hang a lantern off of.  

lol, on the other hand, I like the way you think.  Sure, a functional TV so I can watch nature videos during an aurora would be awesome!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SirSharper said:

I agree with the OP 100%.  I've done the "obstacle course" about 20 times now. and each time i think, why not just let me push a plank over to connect the pier ... or at least let me drop a rope 2 feet down onto the ice. (or better yet, let me "climb" onto the, obviously reachable, pier with my normal reach.  

We have to make this happen Hinterland .... and by we i mean you. 

There are two ladders in the machine shop. I would just move them both outside. The extension ladder tied to the side of the pier and the tall step ladder to the broken down stairs in the next building over, past the break in the pier. Really the dead guy who built the obstacle course must have been off his head not to just use the ladders.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

hmmm...  I don't think a mod that allows me to move a box or crate so I can bridge the gap on a broken stairway to be "cheating,"  I'd call that "immersive".   Same goes for a mod that would allow me to place items on the top shelf of a 4 tier metal shelving unit in game.  How is that a cheat?   But then again their are some game purists who wouldn't want to change anything and I can respect their view and still disagree with their semantics.  

Sorry - my British sarcasm obviously didn't translate. 🤣

What I was trying to convey was that @peteloud appeared to be operating on (what I consider to be) the entirely false assumption that inevitably "Mod = cheat". In my experience, by far and away the majority of game modding attempts to make games 'more realistic' or, with things like some of the Total War games for example, attempts to port the mechanics to a different historical (or fantasy) conflict. Where modders tinker with difficulty settings, this is almost always with the goal of making a game harder rather than easier. And you only need to stop to think about it for a minute to see the truth of what I'm saying. Modders, as a rule, are game obsessives and need to spend vast amounts of time both playing a game and experimenting with its code before they can release a mod - whilst those who complain about a game being too difficult are, again as a rule, very unlikely to invest the amount time required to produce a mod with difficulty settings to their own liking - they'll simply give up on the game instead.

Cheat codes/hacks/money trainers etc are a different thing entirely - they are cheats, not mods.

(Just in case there is any doubt, the above is a comment in general terms on game modding. It is not a comment on Hinterland's policy in respect of modding TLD and should not be read as such)

I dont think any mod is needed to solve this. It could be nice to put one rope anchor point on the pier. Or on the crane. So you have to do the monkey path once. Then you can decide to put a rope on the pier or crane.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, acada said:

I dont think any mod is needed to solve this. It could be nice to put one rope anchor point on the pier. Or on the crane. So you have to do the monkey path once. Then you can decide to put a rope on the pier or crane.

100% yes, please, for the love of all that is good and holy, do this. Actually, i'm going to make a suggestion in the wish list section. 

Edited by SirSharper
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SirSharper said:

100% yes, please, for the love of all that is good and holy, do this. Actually, i'm going to make a suggestion in the wish list section. 

I think that's been done already, but by all means double down!  If I recall when BI was first released, Raphael made some comment about there being another way in or something to that effect.  I do believe that sparked a community wide goose chase trying to find this "secret passage."  

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2020 at 2:19 PM, acada said:

PLEASE do this Hinterland! Otherwise what's the rope (which spawns in the workshop) good for?

11 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

PLEASE do this Hinterland! Otherwise what's the rope (which spawns in the workshop) good for?

I have an embarrassment of ropes at the Cannery Workshop and two ladders… So easy just to make the region so it is possible to climb up once the original obstacle is overcome.

• Upvote 1

Once Hinterland decides that quests that involve regions outside of Coastal Highway would be too hard, too complicated, or too involved (that was kind of where Crossroads Elergy, episode 3, had been before it was cutback) then we might see some kind of shortcut in an update.  Otherwise it will likely not happen until episode 4 (where I presume there might be a questline that takes Astrid or Will to Bleak Inlet with some blocked roads being suddenly cleared or alternately a boat is found). 

OTOH, they could be mean and make us run the obstacle course every time we want to access the workshop.  😓