How about this Idea for the End Game at Interloper mode?

Dkhar

Hello, lovely people. I was playing this game a lot and of course, Interloper is great but I have thought about some improvements to add some END game to survive. So if devs can add this feature you can choose just Interloper and Interloper with the END mode. There is no time limit or whatever so basically you can play with this mode as Interloper but with this feature:

For example, you need to craft an airplane and to do so you need tools and electricity but electricity can be obtained only from the aurora so it's a lot of time to wait for aurora and gather everything and so on. Can u imagine if you need to craft a screwer at the forge? you need iron or scrap metal and for example, plastic and can be obtained from coffeemakers or microwaves, but you need a hacksaw. More instruments can be added to craft. When you have crafted the airplane you can't just fly away you need fuel (oil) a lot(and it's a lot of fishing) and normal weather (clear sky) and so on ..this game has no limitations and there so many things to do and craft and add in this cold world. Huge potential. I think it is interesting and for example, some parts of a plane that you need to gather you can all find them in specific areas and the plane is in another area far away and the thing you need to bring is heavy (it will slow you down) every time you pick it up, for example only fed bonus will allow you to grab the thing and run but It will drain more stamina because it's so heavy, so you need to think about how to get there. Devs can add some cave with the airplane or it can be outside to make repairing more harder.

Thank you for reading this if you like this idea I'm pleased.

Edited by Dkhar
  • Upvote 1

I would like to craft an airplane by myself .. I could sell it then for 1million $ .. seriously man, it's impossible to "craft" an airplane.

However, an end game with a helicopter coming for a rescue would be cool .. except that this geomagnetic disaster is global as far as I understand so electronics are rendered useless everywhere... still would be cool to have select after how many days a rescue will come, say 500 days.

I found the idea nice. For aircraft you need an engine and propeller. Engine can be found in any car or at the crash site at Mountain town. Car engines may not be suitable. I would go with the airplane engine from the crashed airplane. Propeller can be found again in Mountain town. Then you need the frame. You can re-use the crashed small plane in Mountain town. Or build something like the first airplanes built from wooden beams, piano strings and cloths.

The propeller, wooden beams, strings, clothes can be carried. The engine can be hard nut to crack. One could drag them. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, acada said:

I found the idea nice. For aircraft you need an engine and propeller. Engine can be found in any car or at the crash site at Mountain town. Car engines may not be suitable. I would go with the airplane engine from the crashed airplane. Propeller can be found again in Mountain town. Then you need the frame. You can re-use the crashed small plane in Mountain town. Or build something like the first airplanes built from wooden beams, piano strings and cloths.

The propeller, wooden beams, strings, clothes can be carried. The engine can be hard nut to crack. One could drag them. 

Yeah. I'm talking to find parts from other airplanes. For example you can find an old one but some details is missing so .. u need to find and craft. I think it will be very interesting to add this mode to interloper .. because after 100 days there is nothing to do ))) 

19 hours ago, Dkhar said:

I was playing this game a lot and of course, Interloper is great but I have thought about some improvements to add some END game

No thank you... I don't like this idea at all.

As I mentioned in the discussion of Milton Mailbag #36:

There is no "happily ever after" or "congratulations you win!" in survival mode and I would suggest there shouldn't be... After all death is the eventuality, no mater what.  Be it because we've given up, or due to tragic circumstances (most often brought on by our own bad decisions).  I really like the idea that once we get proficient with our survival tasks, that it's really up to us to find creative ways to just live in Great Bear on our own terms, and for how long.

I'm not in favor of this idea because I think such a thing is already covered by purpose of the Story Mode (where Hinterland is telling their story about Great Bear).  Story Mode is where I think "Congratulations, you WIN!" belongs; not in the Survivor Sandbox.

I feel that the survival sandbox should be just that... an open world for the player to live in, and through player choice (and through the gameplay/mechanics themselves) our own stories emerge.  Having a "rescue / escape" sort of "You WIN!" scenario, I think would horribly undermine what I think makes the Survival Sandbox so great.  I've been playing it consistently since the later part of 2014 (when I first discovered it on Steam).  I think as it is, the Survival Sandbox has infinite replayability very much because the story we get to experience is one we craft.  I'm against anything that I feel would take away from that...

:coffee::fire:
...and I very much feel that this idea would take very much away from that.

19 hours ago, Dkhar said:

For example, you need to craft an airplane

My apologies, because I mean no disrespect... but I think something like this would just be too ridiculous (both from a lore perspective, and the idea that our survivor is an Aeronautical and/or Avionics engineer who's more clever than MacGyver :D).  I really didn't appreciate it in Stranded Deep... and I would really dislike it of something like that were shoehorned into The Long Dark.

Edited by ManicManiac

Survivor mode should never have an end game scenario because that is antithetical to what survivor mode is all about.

However this could serve as a rather interesting challenge mode.  Not an airplane of course because come on, who builds an airplane from scratch?  But perhaps repairing a boat that spawns in at Desolation Point.  Necessitating hauling some very heavy components from one place to another to get the boat repaired.  Perhaps machining some parts using the milling machine, using the Maintenance Shed to repair a small 10hp outboard motor that weighs 40kg.  And you have to somehow work out the logistics of lugging this monstrosity along with the equipment and clothes necessary to survive the trip from the Maintenance Shed all the way to Desolation Point, at which point you can start the engine during the next aurora to complete the challenge.

• Upvote 2

Also, it's never really explained why non-electric motors, such as diesel, wouldn't function. They work purely via gas compression, no electricity required.

Admittedly, the cold climate of Great Bear would definitely slow down a diesel motor starting, but a nearby fire would probably solve this after a few hours.

Of course, it's gonna take a LOT of fish to get enough oil for that sucker.

• Upvote 1

Hello to everyone. I'm not talking about the AIRPLANE from the SCRATCH I should mention it. For example, you can find abandoned airplanes in some cave and some parts are missing and you need to find blueprints to them on different computers around the great bear. This is what I'm talking about. 

p.s. the boat is great too, but you need to think about what boat and what you want to take with you and so on. 

p.s.s. I don't like challenges at TLD but if this function can be TURN on at Loper it will be awesome and make it haaard like reaaaal hard. 

I really don't see how anyone could get off an island with weather like Great Bear without electricity.  It's imperative to any modern internal combustion engine. I know someone already mentioned the deisels don't need electricity to run and that's half true. Does the engine itself need electricity to run? No. Do components of the fuel system such as the fuel pump need electricity to function? Absolutely. Unless you were to set up a gravity feed fuel tank and somehow find a diesel engine small enough to hand crank, since you wouldn't have a starter motor you'd have to do it by hand. Just the logistics of that alone is mighty steep. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:51 PM, Dkhar said:

For example, you need to craft an airplane and to do so you need tools and electricity but electricity can be obtained only from the aurora so it's a lot of time to wait for aurora and gather everything and so on. Can u imagine if you need to craft a screwer at the forge? you need iron or scrap metal and for example, plastic and can be obtained from coffeemakers or microwaves, but you need a hacksaw. More instruments can be added to craft. When you have crafted the airplane you can't just fly away you need fuel (oil) a lot(and it's a lot of fishing) and normal weather (clear sky) and so on ..this game has no limitations and there so many things to do and craft and add in this cold world. Huge potential. I think it is interesting and for example, some parts of a plane that you need to gather you can all find them in specific areas and the plane is in another area far away and the thing you need to bring is heavy (it will slow you down) every time you pick it up, for example only fed bonus will allow you to grab the thing and run but It will drain more stamina because it's so heavy, so you need to think about how to get there. Devs can add some cave with the airplane or it can be outside to make repairing more harder.

This would change the goal of the game -- instead of 'fight against nature as long as you can until you succumb', it would then be 'survive long enough to craft a McGuffin.'

I am. . .vehemently opposed to this idea.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Archonax said:

This would change the goal of the game -- instead of 'fight against nature as long as you can until you succumb', it would then be 'survive long enough to craft a McGuffin.'

I am. . .vehemently opposed to this idea.

Ok. I think NO ONE understands me. )))) This is just an additional mode for the interloper, when you choose to play interloper you can choose you to want this option present at the game and that's it if you want to play just interloper you play interloper if you want play interloper with the END you choose interloper with the END that's it )) all these crafting/engines/motors are present only at interloper END mode )) I'm not talking to CHANGE INTERLOPER I'm talking to add NEW interloper mode with saving original interloper )))

18 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Also, it's never really explained why non-electric motors, such as diesel, wouldn't function.

I don't mean to sidebar, but I figured I could offer a lore consistent explanation - the original posts were about clocks and generators, but I allude to cars to illustrate the point:

On 7/24/2019 at 8:03 PM, ManicManiac said:

The aurora would have likely fried the more sensitive components... just like all the cars we see, sure the lights flicker but it's possible the current generated by the aurora could have burned out starters, wires, hoses (from arcing).  I would posit that generators would be much the same... [text removed for brevity]

On 9/14/2019 at 12:26 AM, ManicManiac said:

I'd say it's likely that the mainspring and most of the other small components would possibly have melted (or otherwise broken) due to the arcing caused by the First Flare (being it was ostensibly the strongest) and perhaps additional arcing from subsequent flares (a.k.a. the "aurora").

The same can be said for the alternators in cars... as well as the cars in general... most likely the copper coils would have melted and the mechanisms fused.  We see lights flicker and some old cathode ray tube radios survived... but most electric components would likely be shot.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
It's possible that things like this might have been irrepressibly damaged by the wildly inconsistent charge of the aurora.  Even when we think of planes and cars as having their components "grounded" to the chassis... they're not really connected to actual ground.  This being the case, sooner or later a charge that's build up enough to start arcing to "jump to ground," I imagine could very easily cause this kind of irreparable damage... where other things like a radio (plugged/connected directly to ground) could perhaps still survive (as the charge as an easier path rather than building up enough power to arc).

Edited by ManicManiac

12 hours ago, Dkhar said:

Ok. I think NO ONE understands me. )))) This is just an additional mode for the interloper

No we very clearly get it, it's just that we think this is a terrible idea.  No offense.  So are trying to brainstorm ways this could actually be a good one.

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

No we very clearly get it, it's just that we think this is a terrible idea.  No offense.  So are trying to brainstorm ways this could actually be a good one.

no offense, after all, I came here and type it so everything is good ))

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dkhar said:

no offense, after all, I came here and type it so everything is good ))

Excellent.  I'm glad you feel free to speak your mind even knowing the majority may disagree with you.  That's the foundation of this community--feeling free to voice your opinion in a safe and welcoming space!  We may not agree, but thoughts and opinions are always welcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1