How does one handle Wolf Thunderdome?

Demetrious

So I finally found the time to play my first survival game after the Errant Pilgrim update dropped, and set up a Custom mode game with my usual settings - i.e. mostly Stalker default settings with a few tweaks here and there for my personal preferences, none of which involve wildlife or wolves (aside from turning down the clothing damage modifier from "low" to none.) I spawned in Mountain Town and noted that while wolf behavior had definitely been tweaked from what I'd known, Milton was still Milton; i.e. wolves under every other snowbank. 

It wasn't until I escaped Wolftown, population Yes, and hustled to the Mystery Lake camp office that I noticed something seemed... awry. As in "the wolf I just stabbed died out on the lake, and as I try to go out there to collect him, I see FOUR other wolves all visible patrolling the lake." 

Four. I tried to visit the rabbit area across the railroad tracks and instead met a fifth. 

I remember raising an eyebrow when I saw what the Stalker default settings were for wolf spawns when setting up the game, but I assumed I'd simply had a lapse in memory on that count. Now, I am not so sure. Has Stalker's default wolf spawns been turned up to balance out the Revolver being added to the game? Am I expected to blaze away with the Revolver far more often than my TLD instincts, honed in the rifle-only, pre-ammo-spawn-increase-tweak days are comfortable with? Or is there another way to deal with the wolves? They don't react to bait the way they used to, nor fires (they seem to stand at bay from a campfire now, instead of alternately spooking/running then re-approaching,) so maybe there's further behavior tweaks I haven't encountered yet. Perhaps torches more reliably hold them off than they used to? I don't know. 

Given the average damage a wolf inflicts in Stalker's default mode is surprisingly moderate (esp. if you're rested,) it's starting to feel like I've entered the Wolf Thunderdome, where stripping naked and struggle-knifing several wolves in a row is the new normal. This seems unusual. Please tell me what the "New Normal" is because I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'm missing something. 

• Upvote 1

Wolf spawn (as with most factors in the game) does have a RNG aspect to it.  Could just be unlucky with the large pack.  I would just try to pick one off at a time.  A tactic that has worked well for me since the changes to wolf behavior, has been:  Get close enough to get the growl and they start approaching you.  Find a nice open (preferably flat place), wait for them to get fairly close, raise your bow/rifle (this will initiate a charge from them).  I've noticed they weave a bit then come straight at you.  Once they start their straight charge, that's your cue to line up your shot and (hopefully) get a head shot.  I've gotten to where I can effectively do this @ 90% of the time.  Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Walk back while aiming at the charging wolf, to straighten out his charge and give you a tiny bit more time to aim and fire.  Get good with the bow, as this and the rifle are sure kills at close range and your ammo is unlimited.  
Honestly, I prefer the bow in most cases.  The rifle is far too easy to use especially at level five.  Level five archery is deadly and you can crouch while shooting so it opens up other safer tactics for wolf extermination 

• Upvote 1

I think there are far too many wolves(and animals in general) even on the lowest spawn rate. I remember checking out the broken railroad area and it's just constant wolf battle. I feel like all I do it fight wolves. I am really looking forward to mods so I can drop animal quantity by like 95%

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 12:34 AM, odizzido said:

I think there are far too many wolves(and animals in general) even on the lowest spawn rate. I remember checking out the broken railroad area and it's just constant wolf battle. I feel like all I do it fight wolves. I am really looking forward to mods so I can drop animal quantity by like 95%

Try “Outcast”.

-t

I checked out the outcast setting and it's actually fairly close to the settings I use. The thing is is that I like being careful with what I do because I need to worry about wolves. It gets me to think about how I can best do things. My only real issue is that there are just too many.

Ive seen a pack of 6 on "low" wolf settings.... 4 i very common, and the norm on stalker. On stalker you also cant have any meat on younor theyll literally hone in on you from accross the map. 

They also don't even pick up bait and ignore campfires on voyageur. I've been pounced multiple times cutting up carcasses  while a fire is burning. When charging theyll now charge you at an angle too in order to dodge your bullets and arrows.