On Corona

Guest jeffpeng

I mean .... it will probably take years to sort all of this out and get a definitive picture of what, where and how much of it actually happened. But I would generally trust that the numbers we receive from democratic states with tons of checks and balances are to the best of their ability, and considering the circumstances data from several sources and countries is surprisingly consistent, which speaks to the quality of that data.

3 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I mean .... it will probably take years to sort all of this out and get a definitive picture of what, where and how much of it actually happened. But I would generally trust that the numbers we receive from democratic states with tons of checks and balances are to the best of their ability, and considering the circumstances data from several sources and countries is surprisingly consistent, which speaks to the quality of that data.

It's the parable of the blind men and the elephant. We are all of us stumbling in the dark, grasping this invisible threat to feel out its shape. Either we can mistrust and fight over the differences we observe, or combine our knowledge to better understand what we face, however imperfect our knowledge may be.

I'm going back to work tomorrow. My son, who is seven years old, drew me some pictures to take with me. In his best handwriting, he carefully wrote 'Wash your hands when you go out!' along with a colorful coronavirus particle beneath. I can see how badly he wants to help me, though he has no idea how.

I swore an oath to place the needs of those I serve above my own.

It's time to make them more than words.

We in the western EU are used to hear how these pandemics are bad but it's always far away, in asia, africa, or middle east, it can't happen here can it ?

I hope that it will tone down complains about our lives around here and realise what real problems are.

Here in Paris, on the first day of lockdown on march 14th, the Gilets Jaunes, pushed by their extremist part, did maintain their demonstrations, go figure 🤨

Difficult situations emphasize characters, for some, it's an opportunity to shine (thanks @Jimmy) and get the recognition they deserve, while others goes down in their lameness.

This easter morning, queuing at the baker, a guy was ranting about a homeless nearby and how the bakery owner should make him go blah blah blah, I gave the homeless 10€ and the ranting f*ck the finger.

I know therer are more good people than bad, otherwise we couldn't exist as a society obviously, but the nasty ones make a lot of noise.

• Upvote 2

Easter's over and I'm incredibly grateful for the chance to rest. Sadly, one of my team has taken ill over the break, but I'm hopeful they're just down with a common bug. They got priority testing just in case since they're working in a high risk environment, but with no fever or URT involvement, the profile's looking like a norovirus.

So far all the numbers are trending downwards here in kangaroo land. I'm so proud of everyone that did their bit to sacrifice their freedom and comfort to make this happen. When it comes to healthcare, much of what we do is often unpleasant or painful. But the trade for that temporary pain is a long, healthy future.

I'm optimistic for our future here. Like all big operations, there's going to be a long and uncomfortable period where we still won't be able to do what we used to do. But, barring complications or accidents, I think we're on the road to recovery.

Now, just gotta keep greasing the gears of society to keep it chugging along until the boffins down at the lab finish fiddling with their squeakers and pop out a vaccine.

Edited by Jimmy

On 3/15/2020 at 1:07 AM, Hilayla said:

I can't stop myself from laughing about the toilet paper shortage. Worst case scenario: we have to wash our nasty behinds.

I never considered using a toiler paper as a better way of cleaning your behinds, it leaves bacteria and germs after pooping session LOL. That's why I also LOL'ed when I found out that it became a shortage here in US LMAO.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:45 AM, jeffpeng said:

I think all around the globe people were thinking like this at some point - until it became their problem. Maybe the one good thing this will serve as is as a reminder that there are no more "not us" problems in a world as small and connected as ours, and it would serve us well to heed the warnings given by people who know their craft, and listen less to the ones whose only craft is talking.

In any case .... the biggest of respects @Jimmy. Not sure I could do what you do. I know people from healthcare, but none of them is reporting things anywhere as worrysome as you do, and I hope that you get through these days safe and sound.

Haha, there's always people who thinks like that, then panic when the problem is waiting at their doorstep.

Guest jeffpeng
On 4/14/2020 at 2:08 PM, Jimmy said:

the profile's looking like a norovirus

Weird times in which you are happy you've got a norovirus.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh somehow missed this thread until today.  I was largely unaffected by this whole thing, and have been essentially vindicated for being a low-key prepper.  When everyone was freaking out buying toilet paper, I just got a case out of my storage unit.  Between my home-canned stuff, what I have in my fridge and freezer, powdered milk, flour, etc. I've been just fine.  I even opened my case of MRE's since they're only rated until the end of the year anyway.

I'm considered an essential employee and can work from home, so money hasn't been an issue.  I'm still well supplied, bills are getting paid, and I literally haven't left the house in weeks, except to get the mail.  I spend time on the treadmill watching Netflix on my tablet, have been trying out many new VR experiences (highly recommend Compound on Steam, for VR users), and just hunkered down.

Things look like they will remain closed down for another 2-4 weeks here, before the quarantine order is lifted.  At that point I will come out of my little badger hole and resupply for the next big catastrophe.  Everyone that poked fun at me for being a "crazy prepper" totally ate crow!

I know I'm coming in on this thread a little late, but now that my state has been on lock down for over two months I can honestly say I've had enough of sheltering in place.  I think I am suffering from pandemic induced "cabin fever" and there's only so much physical isolation that I can take.  I am so looking forward to being able to go out with friends for dinner and drinks and have a full evening of "close proximity."    Will we ever see those days again, stadiums full of people eating hot dogs, drinking beer and rooting for their favorite teams?  

this is really i how feel about it all...

https://youtu.be/sPbjPOgRtyA

Edited by piddy3825
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 12:23 AM, piddy3825 said:

I know I'm coming in on this thread a little late, but now that my state has been on lock down for over two months I can honestly say I've had enough of sheltering in place.  I think I am suffering from pandemic induced "cabin fever" and there's only so much physical isolation that I can take.  I am so looking forward to being able to go out with friends for dinner and drinks and have a full evening of "close proximity."    Will we ever see those days again, stadiums full of people eating hot dogs, drinking beer and rooting for their favorite teams?  

this is really i how feel about it all...

https://youtu.be/sPbjPOgRtyA

I think you are spot on, seems ther's an unconditional need to connect with other individuals among most of us, even those who consider themsevlves 'introverted'. I visited a friend the other day, we stood by the stairwell 2m apart and chatted for 15 minutes. It felt like a big time luxury to me :)

• Upvote 1