Long Dark Rocky Mountain Goat Timberwolf Mountain

Ice Hole

Reveal the Goat path  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was a time long ago when a path to the top of Timberwolf mountain's summit was available without using any ropes.  The achievement was documented and posted on the popular internet video platform/publisher of the time.  The Long Dark Rocky Mountain Goat was jubilant.  

bf343fb1ec1e727b3edd5c91b7e31e4a.jpg

Now the ground shakes and tremors earthquakes are reshaping the lands.  The previous trail has been destroyed.  The LDRMG was perplexed.  Why would nature oppose goats? Being a part of the Long Dark for some time I have learned Nature does not care about anything one way or the other.  Setting out with this in mind I explored the mountain once again.  This was exciting.  Another challenge for the goat.  

At first I explored around the original path and was unsuccessful.  Took me several attempts before I decided to move on and try to look for alternatives.  Looking all over the map for the new path and it was getting to the point of giving up.

Then I came across just the right area.  Which lead me close to the original path.  There was a trick needed and voila the path opened to Secluded Shelf.  Reaching this point only spurred me on to look harder for the path to the summit.

The original summit path was broken and so I tried going the opposite direction and found a path that lead to the top ledge at the rope climb.  Finding this did not satisfy my goat for salt.  Even though this route is quick a goat does not like to use ropes.  Took me a few more hours but the path to the summit was eventually trodden upon.

ffee0da4d7d87c0602dc276613f1be62.jpg

All your rope are belong to us.

Edited by Ice Hole
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, odizzido said:

This is excellent. Our character minmaxed for goating really well. We traded our ability to step over sticks and walk up hills but we will never ever slip down a slope. 

I have never considered looking at this goat ability from this perspective.  Well done.

Mind blown. I had no idea. I now have a new challenge to pursue! Even after years of playing, this game always has hidden gems to discover.

Yes please, do not reveal to the world. HL will nix it for sure. Although, I may have to PM one of you for a hint at where to start looking. :)

22 minutes ago, micah6vs8 said:

My wonderful "Gate of Death" in DP is one I miss in particular.

I miss the Gate of Death as well, @micah6vs8. Just as you introduced me to it and I started using it, it was removed.

7 hours ago, micah6vs8 said:

Please consider not posting it as it will very likely cause Hinterland to make a wee change here or there and make this most excellent path a thing of the past.

This is the pain I am sharing.  Nature (Hinterland Developers) alters the landscape is known.  The odd thing is when the original path was altered another path opened up along with the shortcut to the rope.  The path to Secluded Shelf is now quicker.  Also the path from Secluded Shelf to Summit is much easier; there was a section that required some luck.  So I can only conclude that goats are being encouraged in the Long Dark.  This has been on my mind for some time and have asked other forum members.  The response was for me to share the path.  Maybe a more direct question to the deity in charge could garner an insightful response.  The sans rope anniversary is approaching.  The votes and discourse here might sway my mind.  See you on the slopes.

@micah6vs8 expect your lichen wrapped invitation to the Long Dark Rocky Mountain Goat Spring Thaw Social.

Edited by Ice Hole
The first rule about Long Dark Rocky Mountain Goat
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, micah6vs8 said:

Then again, there are players (like me) who find constant change and challenge of rediscovery captivating and thrilling.

I have never seen a player base have such a strong "improvise, adapt and overcome" attitude then hardcore TLD players.

This is the main reason that I love TLD so much. The game is always evolving. Most games are released, there might be some DLC, and then that's it. HL is always releasing updates, new content and regions, and adding or modifying gameplay elements. This irritates many people because once they learn how to play, they get comfortable with their success and don't want to be challenged and further. I get it. Everyone finds their enjoyment in different ways.

This is what bores me with most games though. Once I "git gud", there's no further challenge and I find myself going through the motions until I realize it's time to play a new game. I may come back to it after a while, but the "thrill" is gone. I've been playing TLD a while and have watched it go through many changes. Some are major and difficult to get the hang of at first (new sprains, new wolf AI, etc) but eventually, with enough patience and tenacity, we learn the way and fight through it, ready to attack the game with a new approach.

I absolutely love it. Not everyone is comfortable with change, but I embrace it and I get the feeling many TLD players are wired this way. "Embrace, adapt, overcome" is most definitely a core philosophy of successful TLD players.

Now... to get to looking for that trail head. 🐐

24 minutes ago, acada said:

Wait a second. There is goat way UP? Recently I promoted myself to goat when I got down from the tail section without ropes. OK I am going to demote myself again to human.

You'll sprain your everything if you attempt it on a standard experience mode, and will likely suffer falling damage here and there as well.  But yes....yes it can be done.

41 minutes ago, acada said:

Wait a second. There is goat way UP? Recently I promoted myself to goat when I got down from the tail section without ropes. OK I am going to demote myself again to human.

I've long heard rumors of a goat path up to the top, but I had always assumed it was legend or fantasy. Sounds like it's very much a real thing!

Goating down from the summit (or anywhere) is purely goat-in-training. It's only once you goat up something then you can retain the title of Entry Level Goat. Been down that way many times, but I have a long way to go before I can take off the training wheels and let my hooves fly. It's got to be around here somewhere.. 🐐🐐🐐

Edited by jhickie

I think you are right. Sharing would tempt many survivors to try it. Manymany deaths would be there. For example I was able to screw even rope climb from the Ravine basin and it costed me a life of my character. 

On 3/14/2020 at 1:17 AM, RossBondReturns said:

I often wonder what would've happened if we hadn't shared the first path.

Consider that the new path has become easier.  Remember that ninja hop on the last leg toward the summit; the make or break section.  So disheartening when missing this crucial hop.  Well that is no longer part of the path.  A change for the better I would have to say.  

The question is: has Nature (the developers) improved the path?