Shell casings on interloper settings.

Joe Buckley

So.... I want interloper, but I want to try the new ammo crafting. So I select revolver and rifle spawns in custom off interloper settings. I start. I find a revolver, yeay. I find a rifle, yeay... I continue... I continue... I find this and that... I get two ropes, I go to ravine... I am a little concerned that I haven't found ONE - SINGLE - SHELL CASING.... I die a week later... NOT ONE SINGLE SHELL CASING.... 

Discuss.

13 hours ago, Joe Buckley said:

So.... I want interloper, but I want to try the new ammo crafting. So I select revolver and rifle spawns in custom off interloper settings. I start. I find a revolver, yeay. I find a rifle, yeay... I continue... I continue... I find this and that... I get two ropes, I go to ravine... I am a little concerned that I haven't found ONE - SINGLE - SHELL CASING.... I die a week later... NOT ONE SINGLE SHELL CASING.... 

Discuss.

Still think its possible, but you might wanna hit up the heavy duty spawns....check Timberwolf Mountain plane, PV farmhouse and town, gas station in costal highway, train wreck above ravine, and last but not least, all the nook and cranny in the cannery at BI......Iv found a round or two before with the previous update but thought It was a bug, but they was hiding in very difficult to get to places. Behind cupboards, under furniture, ect. ect.

I've cleared TWM summit multilple times on interloper, and PV farmhouse and town, and Quornset gas station, I've played a lot of loper before. only gun stuff I've ever seen is in HRV, a rare revolver spawn with one ammo in it at the signal fire, and two bullets in one of the central "rooms" in the ice caves, when there are two bodies that spawn there... IMHO they just didn't think of the game case where you select loper loot + rifle and revolver spawns. I mean, for it to work you'd have to also add rare shell casing spawns, and I just don't think they got round to it. 

Its not a biggie, it was a huge update with lots of excellent content, but it would be a nice fix to have, otherwise if we want to play with the new toys we are forced to work off stalker loot.

17 hours ago, Joe Buckley said:

I've cleared TWM summit multilple times on interloper, and PV farmhouse and town, and Quornset gas station, I've played a lot of loper before. only gun stuff I've ever seen is in HRV, a rare revolver spawn with one ammo in it at the signal fire, and two bullets in one of the central "rooms" in the ice caves, when there are two bodies that spawn there... IMHO they just didn't think of the game case where you select loper loot + rifle and revolver spawns. I mean, for it to work you'd have to also add rare shell casing spawns, and I just don't think they got round to it. 

Its not a biggie, it was a huge update with lots of excellent content, but it would be a nice fix to have, otherwise if we want to play with the new toys we are forced to work off stalker loot.

I have to say, Iv just been through ALL  of those regions with a HEAVY fine toothed comb
See the source image

Sadly, nothing. Not a single bullet, shell casing, nothing.....Im starting to think that everything, ALL the final components for the revolver, will be in BI scattered everywhere. Either that, or there is some sort of bug or something going on that either will not allow the shell casings to spawn, or you must go somewhere specifically for a box of ammo.....then its up to you to keep that box of ammo loaded....

Its weird to keep finding plenty of Sulphur and stump remover tho…..Think I had 3 of each at one point in time.....enough gunpowder to use the harpoon gun a few times in DP. lol 

Edited by wizard03
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

m starting to think that everything, ALL the final components for the revolver, will be in BI scattered everywhere.

In my Pilgrim exploration of BI, virtually all the shell casings I found were in BI, and most of those in Hunter's Blinds. Very few were in the other regions I visited.

1 hour ago, Joe Buckley said:

Well if anyone finds shellcasings in BI on loper please let me know :)

Fired up a custom game with Interloper settings.  Changed the firearms to both be present (also the heavy fog to random...not sure why it still does that), and started in BI.  Checked both blinds on the FM side and neither had shell casings.  In the past I've seen them there.

7 minutes ago, Joe Buckley said:

@dbmurph22 in the past as in , in the past on loper or in the past on different settings?

When I originally posted I was thinking vanilla loper as I started a few new loper games and dove right into BI on a death trip, but later I also finished exploring the region on Loons' current stalker birchman settings, so it might have been that. Or both!  Now I can't remember. :(

On 12/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, wizard03 said:

Still think its possible, but you might wanna hit up the heavy duty spawns....check Timberwolf Mountain plane, PV farmhouse and town, gas station in costal highway, train wreck above ravine, and last but not least, all the nook and cranny in the cannery at BI......Iv found a round or two before with the previous update but thought It was a bug, but they was hiding in very difficult to get to places. Behind cupboards, under furniture, ect. ect.

Speaking of the cannery in bleak Inlet in the room with the cabinets were one is broken there is sometimes some casings behind the broken cabinet door.

15 minutes ago, XLWatercube said:

Speaking of the cannery in bleak Inlet in the room with the cabinets were one is broken there is sometimes some casings behind the broken cabinet door.

Yeah, that's what lead me to believe that maybe they would be scattered around all the world in such kinds of locations, but Iv scowered about 30-40% of the entire world HARD.....Iv looked in every little hidey hole, underneath every desk, and looted every dead body from TWM, PV, CHW, DP, ravine, and a bit of BI. I feel like I teased a bit of some other places, but got caught up in a full blown run for my best interloper run and just kinda lost myself to it. So far, Iv found the shell casings, on interloper, in the hunting blind in the middle of BI, but Iv also spotted those same casings behind the cupboard door on stalker....I think all of it, all of the anything to do with the revolver is now in BI....And I got a gut feeling that the pay off for the revolver isn't going to be "that" great......Maybe 10 bullets and the revolver, that's it....Something is telling me that this new chunk of property isn't going to be worth bothering in interloper mode.

Now as for stalker mode or any of the other modes, its going to be a god send 1000 days in or so. But dang, what I would give to see at least one whole box of ammo sitting somewhere....Maybe in the major destinations for each region or so.....Grey mothers house, gas station, hunting lodge, someplace! 

On 1/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, Joe Buckley said:

I've also looted 2 cartridges from one of the corpses in that room. It was like stumbling down an unknown goldmine. 

So have we got consensus on the settings that affect the amount of shell casings in the world? I thought I'd read somewhere that its not just about the "code" you use but also depends on the difficulty level you start your custom settings based  off of.... I just don't really understand how it works. I am currently trying a loper game but with loose item spawn rate raised to medium (and no condition recovery and low harvestables) and I haven't found any shell casings yet... I wonder if it would be different if I had started with a stalker game setup and then changed all the settings to loper... (Not sure if its faulty logic, but I read somewhere it changes the base "loot tables"....

Can anyone give clarity?

On 1/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, Joe Buckley said:

So have we got consensus on the settings that affect the amount of shell casings in the world? I thought I'd read somewhere that its not just about the "code" you use but also depends on the difficulty level you start your custom settings based  off of.... I just don't really understand how it works. I am currently trying a loper game but with loose item spawn rate raised to medium (and no condition recovery and low harvestables) and I haven't found any shell casings yet... I wonder if it would be different if I had started with a stalker game setup and then changed all the settings to loper... (Not sure if its faulty logic, but I read somewhere it changes the base "loot tables"....

Can anyone give clarity?

Your post intrigued me so I ran a quick test.  I started a run using the Interloper template and switched the rifle and revolver settings to Yes and the baseline resources set to Very High, along with all the other loot-related settings to be like Pilgrim.  I started in Mystery Lake and found both a revolver and a rifle and a box of ammo for each.  I've also found a few casings for the revolver (I'm now just on Day 2).  In conclusion, I don't think the starting with an Interloper template is what's blocking the ammo spawns on custom runs where the rifle and revolver are turned on.  It has to be one of the other actual settings (e.g. baseline resources).

19 minutes ago, Joe Buckley said:

okay that's helpful. I am 30 days into a loper run with loose item availability set to medium, and no bullets, so it must be one of the other settings...

On Pilgrim (and on my custom) the Loose Item Availability is set to Very High.  The Empty Container Chance Modifier is None and the Reduce Container Item Density is also None, and as mentioned the Baseline Resource Availability is Very High (although I think before Errant Pilgrim this setting on Pilgrim mode was just High, not Very High).

1 hour ago, Joe Buckley said:

okay that's helpful. I am 30 days into a loper run with loose item availability set to medium, and no bullets, so it must be one of the other settings...

Ran another test:  Baseline Resources set to High, Looose Item Availability set to Low (i.e. left as in Interloper), Empty Container Chance Modifier set to Hihg (as in Interloper), and Reduce Container Item Density set to High (as in Interloper).  I did not actually find either the Rifle or the Revolver, but I did find ammo for both of them.  I think this pretty much verifies that the issue is with the Baseline Resources set to Low (as in Interloper).  I'll try another test with it set to Medium.  If I find ammo that should prove the issue.  If I don't, it will leave open the possibility that Baseline Resources have to be set to High or Very High to get ammo, but it won't be definitive since it could always be that I just missed finding it.  I'll let you know as soon as I find ammo (if I find it).

31 minutes ago, Joe Buckley said:

I guess one consequence of this is that if you want shell casings, you have to accept hatchets and hunting knives, so the usual loper push towards the furnace is altered... (I guess you still need arrow heads)

It looks that way, yes.  With Baseline Resources set to medium and the rest to Loper level, I did just now find both rifle and revolver ammo... and a hunting knife.

• Upvote 1

@Joe Buckley - I had a thought though... Since knives and hatchets are most frequently found as loose items, turning the Loose Item Availability to Low should make them rarer than on medium... and if you're really determined to play with only improvised tools, then you could simply immediately harvest any knives or hatchets that you do happen to find... turning them into scrap metal (as a workaround in case Hinterlands decides to leave the settings as they are (although I imagine they will eventually get around to at least tying the ammo to the rifle and revolver setting rather than the base reosurces one).

• Upvote 1

Just a small update on this. I found 5 revolver bullets on my interloper run, 2 in HRV in the ice cave on the body, and 3 beside the body in a revolver in the cave above mystery lake. I was quite surprised.  So I thought what the hell, and am now in the cannery and have created 5 new rounds!!! One bullet for each of the damn timberwolves.... No sign of any rifle bullets though...

My mind is dizzy and life is so busy to counteract the dizzy, that maybe you guys could clarify things here.

Where did things end up with this? There was another thread discussing this as well, but can you elaborate on the settings (Baseline, Loose, Empty Chance, Density).  I know some, but I don't feel like I have it down perfectly.

Also, how does the new hotfix impact this and if there are any gameplay verification on it, would be great as well.

Thanks.