More food items.

Skelegutplays

Ramen noodles. Comes in 2 variations, chicken and beef. Weighs 0.10kg uncooked and 0.50kg cooked.  Must be prepared in a pot. Preparation takes 10 minutes amd 0.4 liters of water. Each bowl gives 500 calories and 0.25 liters of water worth of hydration.

Cocoa drink powder. 8 servings per packet and each cup has 250 calories. Somewhat rare.

Salted peanuts. Weighs 0.25kg and has 1000 calories.

• Upvote 1

Makes absolutely no difference to me.  If they add these items, they'll reduce the availability of others such that the total number of calories available from looted foods and each difficulty level will probably remain the same.  Salted peanuts will probably mean fewer MREs or boxes of crackers found in the world.  Cocoa drink powder will reduce the amount of coffee and herbal teas found.  Ramen noodles will also probably reduce the number of boxes of crackers or perhaps certain canned items.  In reality, it's just different colored pixels and it all tastes like chicken.

@Skelegutplays,

All in all, I think more variety in the world is always a nice touch... but not necessarily of huge benefit to gameplay.

Bear in mind, that more food items will mean they also will need to rebalance the loot tables.  More possible items doesn't necessarily mean you will actually find more items... if anything it means that the larger the pool, the less likely you are to find a particular thing (unless as I mentioned, the probabilities are individually weighted).  Not to mention art design, sound design, modeling, animations (if applicable), coding, debugging, and exhaustive testing...

Ultimately having a larger variety of things is always a nice touch, especially when it comes to world building... but it also needs to be balanced against gameplay value and the time/resources need to implement/integrate more stuff.  Especially when (like food items) there are already several items in the game that already do that particular thing.

[Addendum]
@UpUpAway95 also makes a good point.

Edited by ManicManiac

Hinterland is going to add for food items occasionally with time. But it isn't a big priority for me and most of the community. Nor do I think it is for hinterland. As for now every ones priority is episode three, which if any one doesn't know has been delayed since December 2018. Which wintermute it's self was supposed to be released after the basic manics where laid out. 

The biggest food inclusion that I'd want to see would be something like the winterberry: a berry from a specific strain of holly ( Ilex verticillata ) with a high caffeine content, as a natural replacement in long survival games for coffee.

Thought is that, at a certain point, having access to coffee is a luxury, and there are natural forms of most every other medicinal item in the game. Conceptually, you could make it similar to rosehips, where harvesting a cluster of them is necessary (24 per cup, to keep it in line). Where I'd consider altering it would be that, due to the potential toxicity of the tea, you could only safely ingest 1 cup per day (with 2x the duration of a standard cup of coffee to show the higher content), and any cup past 1 would hit the player with a variant of Food Poisoning (that couldn't be sidestepped by L5 Cooking) that would also introduce Vomiting as a debuff. Vomiting would cause you to lose some set % of your current Food bar (say, 10 or 20%) at the start of every hour until it was cured (via both a found cure and a natural version?).

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 9/12/2019 at 5:22 PM, Skelegutplays said:

Ramen noodles. Comes in 2 variations, chicken and beef. Weighs 0.10kg uncooked and 0.50kg cooked.  Must be prepared in a pot. Preparation takes 10 minutes amd 0.4 liters of water. Each bowl gives 500 calories and 0.25 liters of water worth of hydration.

How there can't be ramen in the game is oblivious to me. I vote yes, even if that means they have to remove flare guns from the game for balancing.

Guest jeffpeng
23 hours ago, diggity said:

Alcohol.  Homemade hooch with a distillery in a basement somewhere.

Provides some warmth, possible disinfectant, alleviates pain.  If overindulged produces feeling of invulnerability, really bad judgment and urge to go howl at the moon with the pack. And the next day is not good.

Has no gameplay value at all. I like it. Sadly won't happen because of PEGI. :D