Aurora Electric cooking

oplli

I'd like to see it myself, and I think this is something best left to the modding community after official support is added.  I agree the auroras don't produce enough juice to power a stove, but I think it'd be a neat touch to be able to warm up tea in a microwave.

Post deleted. 

If you're not interested in a topic don't hop in. If it's a frequent topic that's already under active discussion please point the thread towards it or flag the thread for a merge. If it hasn't been discussed in awhile then not everyone is going to know.

Most of all try to be polite about how you respond when responding.

Guest kristaok

I am no Electrician, but if the Lights are just flickering during an Aurora I am not quite sure that there would be enough Power to Power up an Electric Stovetop thingy... Maybe there is though.... 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, ManicManiac said:

I've always thought that the small electric hotplates (that you can find in some locations) should work during auroras...

...but it's really just a "wouldn't it be cool if" sort of thing.  I also had the same thought about the coffee makers you find in some places... It would be neat if they would work during the aurora and you could use water and coffee/tea to make drinks  

However... the game already has a lot of ways and options for keeping warn and preparing food and water for consumption.  While I think it would be a nice touch, if it never gets added I'm fine either way.   

3 minutes ago, kristaok said:

Power up an Electric Stovetop thingy... Maybe there is though....

:D The wattage requirements for something like an electric stove, are much greater that the filament of a lightbulb though... which is why I can understand that they don't work.

Perhaps even some of their internal components blew out during the surge of the first flare, rendering them totally inoperable.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac

@kristaok, @ManicManiac

In terms of wattage, LED bulbs are in the lower tens of watts, florescent bulbs are the upper tens of watts, and incandescent bulbs are in the lower hundreds of watts.

Electric stoves and induction stoves are in the two thousand watt range, so they use an immense amount of power compared to other electrically powered things in game apart from the microwave which can be around 800-1600 watts.

But, within the lore of The Long Dark, there is one thing that uses three to four times as much power as an electric stove, and that is the Carter Dam elevator. Elevators of that size use about six thousand to eight thousand watts, maybe more, due to the fact that it is an industrial building.

Edited by shade_grey
spelling
  • Upvote 1