ankle braces

vta4ever

Make something similar to the hand wraps, have them provide 1 Degree of warmth - when done correctly (could be a skill thing, that could improve over time), as well as provide a slight decrease in sprains, especially during falls.  BUT, at the cost of slight decrease in sprint speed as well as gun aiming (although, they should help with using a bow - for the wrist splints).  From what I see of the way some rolls are done (like rolling a d20), it would add 1% to 5% (on a d20, a +1) to the roll for sprain.  One way that it could work is that if you get a sprain AND the percentage roll for the sprain is still within the amount that the splint/wrap provided for, you don't get a sprain (although you get a warning that you almost got a sprain) and the splint/wrap loses a "charge".  Your Splint/Wrap could have from 2 to 5 charges, depending on how good you get at doing them (there really should be a Personal Medicine Skill that increases with things like binding wounds and making of splints/wraps and making of medical supplies) before it is no longer good.  If you get a longer fall, it might help prevent (or reduce the severity of the fall), by sacrificing itself (all charges at once) if you get a bad sprain.  Lets also say that it uses two cloth and one to two sticks in the creation of the Splint/Wrap.

Example:

Your climbing a rough slope and the system rolls a sprain (lets say that the chance is greater than 75% for this slope - I do hope that slopes have a sliding scale for the degree of slope) and it rolls a 76% and you get a wrist sprain.  But you were wearing a Splint that gave you a 5% increase in chance and thus prevented the sprain.  This Wrist Splint had an original 3 time prevention charge on it, due to skill at wrapping it and it has already prevented 2 other sprains.  It has used up all of it's charges and is now no good and your at the base chance for a wrist sprain, until you make a new Splint.  Your old one is ruined and you can harvest it for one cloth.  But if the Sprain roll was higher than the Splint helped to prevent, in this case an 83%, you not only get the sprain, but you still lose a charge on the Wrap/Splint.

Al least, that is how I see it should work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martin Prchal said:

I would make different footwear have different degrees of preventing sprains. Running shoes wouldn't do anything, but the trail boots should help you carry all of your sticks around 😊.

This.  Have your hand gear affect your wrist sprain chance, and foot gear affect ankle sprains.  The heavier the item, the less chance of a sprain.  And those 4kg ski boots, have those make you straight up immune to ankle sprains.  That would make them worth wearing.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:
3 hours ago, Martin Prchal said:

I would make different footwear have different degrees of preventing sprains. Running shoes wouldn't do anything, but the trail boots should help you carry all of your sticks around 😊.

This.  Have your hand gear affect your wrist sprain chance, and foot gear affect ankle sprains.  The heavier the item, the less chance of a sprain.  And those 4kg ski boots, have those make you straight up immune to ankle sprains.  That would make them worth wearing.

Agreed. I could see higher quality "specialized" hand and foot gear offering some protection from sprains, though I don;t agree with Ski boots making you immune. Highest protection, sure. But not immune. That's just a wee bit too OP, IMHO.

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I don;t agree with Ski boots making you immune. Highest protection, sure. But not immune. That's just a wee bit too OP, IMHO.

I would say the only time you should be at risk of a sprain in ski boots is if you suffer a literal fall (Edit: Or get thrashed by wildlife).  Not walking-on-a-slope kind of fall, I'm talking an actual fall where you suffer clothing damage, which would explain why that hard fixed ski boot ankle joint didn't protect you.

Edited by ajb1978

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I would say the only time you should be at risk of a sprain in ski boots is if you suffer a literal fall (Edit: Or get thrashed by wildlife).  Not walking-on-a-slope kind of fall, I'm talking an actual fall where you suffer clothing damage, which would explain why that hard fixed ski boot ankle joint didn't protect you.

I could live with that. Not total immunity, bear maulings, wolf struggles, Moosen using you as a dance floor could/would still result in sprains, a fall while skyrimming resulting in an actual fall, could/would. But the regular slope slide would not, though you could still fall and sprain a wrist.  though, to be fair, for balancing, I think since they have a mobility debuff, that should also make it tougher to climb steep slopes. Or crazy climbers like me are going to be scaling *everything* wearing ski boots, just to get to that forbidden ridge or mountain summit/hilltop. (Because you know I would try it... just because I could.)

• 10 months later...

Replying to an old thread since I was searching around for this very topic. I agree with the suggestions that current foot and hand wear should affect the likelihood of a sprain in all but the most extreme circumstances (eg falling from a significant height). I personally think that sprains happen far too often in the game, even with the tweaks that were added, and something to mitigate that risk is sorely needed.

Part of the wonder of the Long Dark (for me anyway) is the exploration of a zone and looking for the hidden prepper caches. In a zone like Mystery Lake, nearly all the prepper cache locations are in places where you're likely to get multiple sprains even if you know exactly where to look and the best route to get there. It feels like in earlier editions of the game, the terrain in those zones are much more forgiving, and sprains were a rare occurrence. In the current system it actively discourages me from checking the edges of the zones and for taking the road less traveled., and that makes me sad.

On 4/19/2020 at 3:21 AM, ToAsT said:

In a zone like Mystery Lake, nearly all the prepper cache locations are in places where you're likely to get multiple sprains even if you know exactly where to look and the best route to get there. It feels like in earlier editions of the game, the terrain in those zones are much more forgiving, and sprains were a rare occurrence. In the current system it actively discourages me from checking the edges of the zones and for taking the road less traveled., and that makes me sad.

Maybe have such an item as a reward in prepper caches?