Mystery Beans

codfish107

So i found this strange can of beans next to a corpse that's at 0% but let me open it and heat it up next to a camp fire, i am very skeptical about eating it. Should i eat it?

20190113050823_1.thumb.jpg.c0c8bcda88ce5fcbd3e3426404294484.jpg

20190113050949_1.thumb.jpg.a71fdd59555b2a76c05ed8fd911d95d9.jpg

For reference i found it at Abandoned Harris Home in Crumbling Highway and i'm sitting with it in the cave under The Arch, on Stalker. And yes i realize this is probably a bug.

1 hour ago, U47 said:

I typically eat food that might poison me right before I know I will be sleeping at least 10 hours so if I do get poisoned I pop my pills/drink my tea and sleep the night away with a full belly.;)

Yeah that's what i ended up doing. I doubled checked how to cure food poisoning and decided i would be fine if i got poisoned anyways since i was just about to sleep. 

I found one similar to that. It reminded me of that 80's van with "free candy" spray painted on the side.

I'd just started my run (at cooking 1 or whatever you start with without perks) and chose to leave it be. I also died shortly thereafter, and sort of wish I'd tried.

23 hours ago, codfish107 said:

Where did you find your at?

Strange enough it also wouldn't let me place the can at all, it would just try to open it instead.

If you try to place it while near an open campfire it always automatically opens it. I always panic and cancel it, only to learn its already taken a good portion of my knives condition away... and that me canceling it effectively wasted that condition since id have to open it with my knife yet AGAIN when the time is right.

On 1/14/2019 at 10:42 PM, MarrowStone said:

If you try to place it while near an open campfire it always automatically opens it.

Oh okay i did not know this, this was probably the first time i tried eating/opening a can next to a fire of any kind since the cooking update.

43 minutes ago, codfish107 said:

Oh okay i did not know this, this was probably the first time i tried eating/opening a can next to a fire of any kind since the cooking update.

Also, this is because while it doesnt "cook" when off a cooking slot, canned food and tea can still heat up and give you the "warming up" benefit. This makes it possible to cook two slabs of meat on a campfire and have a pre-made tea heating up on the side. Very useful!

On 1/15/2019 at 4:42 AM, MarrowStone said:

and that me canceling it effectively wasted that condition since id have to open it with my knife yet AGAIN when the time is right.

Never paid attention to the condition of my knife after opening a can. 

From the wiki- Canned goods requires a can opener, hunting knife, or hatchet to be opened while retaining the full content. It is also possible to smash the can open if the player does not have any of these tools, but this will result in losing some of its contents to spillage if the player's cooking level is less than 3.

So now the question that arises is, with cooking level 3 and no can opener, does your knife or hatchet take damage when opening a can. 

I know that when I achieve level 3 cooking I quit carrying the can opener if I have one and if my knife or hatchet does take damage then would anyone else consider this a bug or just plain stupid? 

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

Also, this is because while it doesnt "cook" when off a cooking slot, canned food and tea can still heat up and give you the "warming up" benefit. This makes it possible to cook two slabs of meat on a campfire and have a pre-made tea heating up on the side. Very useful!

I knew that because i had accidentally discovered while staying in the PV Farmhouse. i had a bunch made teas and coffee next to the stove and noticed they would heat up every time the stove was on.

On 1/16/2019 at 1:24 AM, U47 said:

So now the question that arises is, with cooking level 3 and no can opener, does your knife or hatchet take damage when opening a can. 

I know that when I achieve level 3 cooking I quit carrying the can opener if I have one and if my knife or hatchet does take damage then would anyone else consider this a bug or just plain stupid? 

Curious about this as well. Will check tonight, if I remember.

So with Cooking lvl 3 your knife or hatchet does take condition damage when opening a can.

So does this seem right to anyone?

It is going to be a pain to always remember to drop my knife and hatchet before opening a can.

35 minutes ago, U47 said:

So with Cooking lvl 3 your knife or hatchet does take condition damage when opening a can.

So does this seem right to anyone?

It is going to be a pain to always remember to drop my knife and hatchet before opening a can.

I think it's absolutely fair the your hatchet or knife would still take damage if used to open a can.  The can open still loses condition, so why wouldn't the other tools.  Even if it's done with skill, using a knife to open a can will always dull the knife a little bit.

Archived