Save Button! - reason: Windows 10

palbi

Hi Folks,

I seriously think that this 3 years old OS is a complete crap. I bought The Long Dark game some 2 years ago, yes, back in the wonderful early access days, and played on Windows 7. And never had crashes or other bigger problems. I bought new hardware for about 1 month now, compatible only with Windows 10 (aside from Linux, of course) and I had 7 crashes! And only two of them gave me dump to upload to TLD Bug Report. Surely, the coding guys at Hinterland have something to do as well. But I think we need "save gameplay anytime anywhere" becuase it's not a deal losing 20-40 minutes of gameplay. Or I will have to move to Linux (I have problems with other commercial softwares too, under Windows 10 anyway, but I'm not experienced Linux user). Man, I am very angry.

The only thing I don't know (info nowhere to be found) if I have to buy the Linux version separatedly, or I can use my Steam PC copy. But the thing is, that I have a 309 days survival mode gameplay, and I don't want to lose it.

Hi palbi.

I've been a linux user for years now. You can use your steam license to install under linux. I've installed games on both windows and linux quite a few times; I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work with TLD.

If you want to switch over, back up your save games onto other media, and after you install the game from steam under linux, put the files back in place... assuming the cloud features don't just sync you up automagically after you install the game.

Linux has a learning curve but after you get over the hump you get a lot more control over your system and your information. I have zero regrets about making the jump ten years ago or so. The only thing that sucked for a long time was the dearth of games, but right now it's a golden age for gaming under linux... and while my heavily modified gnome desktop gets a little flaky from time to time, TLD never crashes for me.

/LinuxAdvocacy

Yep same here, never crashes on Linux. I didn't notice any difference in rendering quality, maybe some graphical bugs (on arms and brass textures) are due to Linux, but I don't know and it's just little annoyance compared to your problem.

Just make sure you go in both your Windows and Linux Steams settings and activate the Synchronization of Saved games in the Cloud.

Worked like a charm for me, I can access all the saved games from both Linux and Windows, flawlessly.

5 hours ago, nicko said:

Win 10 is a lot more secure than win7.  Maybe you software is corrupt  or has viruses?

Hi,

thanks. I never had viruses, I knew of at least, not under 7, and so far, either under 10. I always use antivirus software and avoid know dangerous webpage types. The crashes (those I could inspect) came from some kind of memory access conflict. I would think that the structure of the 10 is very different from the previous Windows editions, and this may be hard to follow in some ways. I also have a video editing software (commercial) and when exporting I switch on VGA acceleration, I get a blue screen and then system reboot. These two are the only I experienced problems with, but they are pretty important for me. :(

On 2018. 10. 19. at 8:36 PM, hozz1235 said:

As a workaround (if you didn't already know), plop down your bedroll and sleep for an hour.

Thanks, but I got a better idea from the old days, when Windows 7 was new, and some XP or 98 software wasn't able to run or crashed. So, I switched TLD.EXE into Compatibility Mode (Windows7) and so far it seems to be working. The only thing that makes me worry is that Windows 10 is 3 years old now, and as far as I remember the 3 year-old XP or the 3year-old Windows 7 was OK...

Take care all. :)

On 10/19/2018 at 12:19 AM, nicko said:

Win 10 is a lot more secure than win7. 

"Secure" is not the same thing as "stable".

On 10/21/2018 at 7:14 AM, palbi said:

The only thing that makes me worry is that Windows 10 is 3 years old now, and as far as I remember the 3 year-old XP or the 3year-old Windows 7 was OK...

On 10/23/2018 at 5:01 AM, odizzido said:

Yeah W10 still sucks. It was just a few weeks ago that they pulled their latest version because it was deleting people's stuff. What a disaster of an OS,

Well, Win10 is here forever, now..  according to Micro$oft, there will be no more "new" releases of Windoze. Instead they've opted for a badly-done imitation of Arch Linux, with a rolling release schedule. (Essentially, it will forever be updating to the 'latest version'.)

In other words, it will always be in permanent beta, with users being the suckers guinea-pigs for testing each new great idea the marketing droids have. Get used to it, or move to Linux.

Archived