Tweak to cooking ready time

ajb1978

If you intend to multi-task, currently a character with Level 1 cooking actually has an advantage over a Level 5 character.  At Level 5, cook times are reduced by 30%, while ready times are only increased by 20%.  This results in a net loss of 10% available time to do anything else.  To balance this out, I suggest that at levels 3, 4, and 5, your "ready time" increases by slightly more than the reduction in cook time.  Example: at level 3, cook times reduced by 10%, ready time increased by 10% (you break even).  Level 4, cook time reduced by 20%, ready time increased by 30% (for a net gain of 10% usable time), Level 5, cook time reduced by 30%, ready time increased by 50%. (net gain of 20% usable time).

Edit: This was tested using a can of water on a stove.  At level 1, you could pass an hour and have about 6 minutes left before it's boiled dry.  At level 5, you have 2 minutes left.  Not exactly breaking the game or anything, but it seems unbalanced.

• 4 weeks later...

At level 1 you can safely boil water in a can and read a book for an hour
Do this on level 5 cooking and you have 2 ingame minutes after reading for an hour to take your can off the fire before it will boil off.

I just got level 5 cooking yesterday for the first time with the ready times update (i restart every update)
This bothers me so much, thanks for bringing this up, i hope this gets changed!

~CGTv

3 hours ago, gnomegnine said:

what does +1 mean? is it Like a moderator thing? are you all moderators? is this the supreme court of the hinterland forums???

I think the +1 is basically just 'add my voice to the people asking for this' 

I think it's a good idea too, honestly. I've never reached level 5 on any of the skills, but I imagine it is frustrating to be penalized for working that hard.

1 hour ago, gnomegnine said:

It sound Like "I support this idea, and as a moderator, I give you +1 reputation" I thought it added reputation

Reputation is gained by clicking the Upvote arrow button beneath a post.  Saying +1 is just voicing your agreement without boosting reputation, similar to clicking the Heart button that appears when you hover over the Upvote button.  Reputation doesn't really mean anything concrete, give you any elevated access, or anything like that.  But it can provide an abstract indicator of which users are likely to have something meaningful to add to conversations, or who at least are entertaining to read.

Archived