No pots in Desolation Point?

memyselfandi7777

2 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Why should there be pots an every map? There shouldn't.

I disagree.

That idea sucks. It would be making the game difficult just to make it difficult, not to increase immersion or improve gameplay. You have dwellings where people lived and worked.  People lived there. They needed to cook and boil water too. 1 pot is not much to expect on maps like DP. Maybe no pots on outdoors maps like TWM and HRV. Where Lopers start. And the game remembers where you started, and will keep starting you there, in the exact same place until you buck up and make a go of it. Live for more than 1 day, or 3 days, or 5 days, or 1 week... and the next start spawn in can be somewhere else. If that sounds unfair to Lopers, so does intermediate maps like DP not having a single pot on them. 

@ThePancakeLady You do start with a tin can right? So more pots/cans make cooking a bit faster and so they're making the game a bit easier. Is their absence really making the game difficult? Is this because you're roleplaying making pancakes? A big pot is a very useful thing. Maybe DP's residents took them with them when they left. Maybe someone said "we've gotta get outta here!" then someone else said "what aboot the bears!" and then someone else said "hey, they don't like noise, what if we all take a pot to bang?"...

TLD Realism +1

On 18.7.2018 at 12:26 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

I disagree.

That idea sucks. It would be making the game difficult just to make it difficult, not to increase immersion or improve gameplay. You have dwellings where people lived and worked.  People lived there. They needed to cook and boil water too. 1 pot is not much to expect on maps like DP. Maybe no pots on outdoors maps like TWM and HRV. Where Lopers start. And the game remembers where you started, and will keep starting you there, in the exact same place until you buck up and make a go of it. Live for more than 1 day, or 3 days, or 5 days, or 1 week... and the next start spawn in can be somewhere else. If that sounds unfair to Lopers, so does intermediate maps like DP not having a single pot on them. 

Granted, it was partly the Loper inside me which spoke there. But what I was driving at: We currently have differences between the maps which make us move from one map to another in search of certain items. The distress pistol is only to be had in two locations, so if we want to have it, we have to go there. Same for the forge. I also like the fact that CH has a number of cabins and therefore holds a lot of cloth. Now the pot is another item which upgrades our cooking, but we can do without (for all I know we start with a recycled can in our backpack). Why should it be found on each map? If only certain maps held pots, we would likely venture there at some point in search of a pot. I like that idea. I also like the idea of the pot not being too common. At least on the higher difficulty settings.

38 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

Granted, it was partly the Loper inside me which spoke there. But what I was driving at: We currently have differences between the maps which make us move from one map to another in search of certain items. The distress pistol is only to be had in two locations, so if we want to have it, we have to go there. Same for the forge. I also like the fact that CH has a number of cabins and therefore holds a lot of cloth. Now the pot is another item which upgrades our cooking, but we can do without (for all I know we start with a recycled can in our backpack). Why should it be found on each map? If only certain maps held pots, we would likely venture there at some point in search of a pot. I like that idea. I also like the idea of the pot not being too common. At least on the higher difficulty settings.

Fair enough. I have actually not been to DP since the VF update, other than a few suicide runs to document cairns, so I have not looted or looked for cooking pots. If DP has none, it will still be my favorite map, regardless. But I will not willingly start there in Stalker, ever again. If all maps connected, and there was more than one other map to go to from DP, or any map, having cooking pots be truly rare items might be okay.  But not everyone likes to play nomadic, some do like to homestead. Not everyone can or wants to play Interloper style, and they should not be forced to by lack of a single, "necessary" item. I understand "encouraging" players to move and explore. But "forcing" is just to harsh. You choose to play Interloper. You are not being forced to. Would you be happy if you were literally forced to play Pilgrim? Would you enjoy that? No? I don't enjoy being forced into a way of playing that is not fun for me. The freedom to play uniquely, in ways that are enjoyable for each individual, has always been one of the things that made this game so good for me, and for others, I suspect. Narrowing that down into tighter "you can only play this way" playstyles for each mode feels like punishment, not thanks for supporting the game for years.

I stand by my feelings, there should be at least 1 cooking pot to be found on each and every map. Beyond that one, if you can't keep it from becoming ruined, then sure, move on and find another, on another map. But dropping a player into a map on game start without one to be found there, is like slapping people in the face with a rotten fish, and telling them to enjoy being slapped in the face with a rotten fish. It won't kill us, but it still stinks.

I started a new Interloper run in Pleasant Valley and found two cooking pots in the Farmstead house.  I don't use them, so they're free to the first taker.  I'll just have to travel to Milton and see if the post office is open.

Any map the game marks as "beginner" shoulld have at least 2 of each of the tools in my opinion, including pots, rifles, knives, crowbar, etc...  And any marked as "intermediate" should have at least one of each.  And to be honest I think it is that way.  If there are maps with no pots, then they should allow you to make one at the forge on that map.  I think that's a reasonable balance.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:26 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

I disagree.

That idea sucks. It would be making the game difficult just to make it difficult, not to increase immersion or improve gameplay. You have dwellings where people lived and worked.  People lived there. They needed to cook and boil water too. 1 pot is not much to expect on maps like DP.

When I think of desolation point, I imagine a place that has been pretty much abandoned. But I do think that there should be a possibility that a few cooking pots have not yet been looted or rusted away.

On 7/21/2018 at 4:08 AM, greggbert said:

If there are maps with no pots, then they should allow you to make one at the forge on that map.  I think that's a reasonable balance.

I disagree. Forging cookware is incredibly hard and many types would require special tools. Historically, pots and pans were cast instead of forged with only a few exceptions. Simply forging a large, round sheet of steel would be incredibly difficult and time consuming. Then, the deeper the container, the more difficult and time consuming it would be to forge it. Many modern pieces of cookware are made by forging but large machines are used and most are made with a single strike or press (drop forging, press forging, etc.).

Also certain regions should have different amounts of certain resources. Some lack certain resources altogether. Nobody is complaining that Mountain Town doesn't have at least one fishing hut.

Archived