Greetings! Are prybars on Interloper worth it?

Malvidian

I am a new forum member, and tried to do some searches for existing threads discussing this topic, but had no luck. If someone could point me to the info, I would appreciate it!

Basically, my first question is this: Is there anything in the game code that gives a 'locked' locker a higher percentage chance on the loot table - to actually be anything inside at all, or a better something than it would have been? Or does it basically give you simply 1 more 'container' to loot from, with the same basic baseline loot chance as any other drawer or cabinet? And is this the same across all difficulties? 

Common sense tells me that if someone locked it in the first place, then something was in it. And since no one else has opened it since then... it should still have SOMETHING in it, right? I mean did someone else force it open, discover nothing was there, and lock it again? :P I doubt it, lol

The other question is about books: I understand that on Interloper we get no guns.. and no ammo... so why, oh WHY are we insulted by a loot table for rare book spawns that still include an entry for a book for a skill we cannot utilize...! I am talking about the Rifle skill books, of course. They should also not spawn on Interloper (the loot table should simply choose again?), makes sense I think. Interloper is hard enough without the excitement of getting a skill book being squashed when you realize it is for the Rifle...

-Malvidian

Both good questions.  I am quite fond of my bookshelf full of rifle books in my Interloper save.  I like to think that maybe someday they will give us a way to forge weapons and then I'll be ready with the reading material.

I have wondered the same thing about the lockers... they always seem to contain the good stuff but still come empty on the same frequency as the unlocked ones.  Would be good to know if was really worth noting them down to come back to after finding a bar.

55 minutes ago, Spakerman said:

I have wondered the same thing about the lockers... they always seem to contain the good stuff but still come empty on the same frequency as the unlocked ones. 

This is my experience too.  And containers are very often empty on Interloper.  I went back to about a dozen lockers with a prybar after I found one in my current sandbox.  0/12 for loot.

Prybars are good for smashing fishing holes, so that you don't wear out your other tools! And car boots sometimes have stuff in them. Oh, and to get in the gas station in Mountain Town.

I guess the only purpose of the rifle books on Interloper (apart from lighting fires) is that you can still get the book-reading achievement on that Experience Mode?

I have not noticed a difference in the locked and non-locked lockers, but I like having a prybar with me just because I get worried that all of the good loot is in the locked lockers and I just walk past them :/ (using a prybar in a wolf struggle is also better than nothing)

The shooting guide is pretty useless. Maybe it can improve your flare gun skills? Anyways I just burn them whenever I see one

On 09/07/2018 at 11:26 PM, Ruruwawa said:

This is my experience too.  And containers are very often empty on Interloper.  I went back to about a dozen lockers with a prybar after I found one in my current sandbox.  0/12 for loot.

Reporting the same as well, the locked containers are either empty and in rare occasions they give good level loot. I've found mackinaw jackets and ear wraps in locked lockers by the dam and nothing else on the remaining locked lockers for that entire playthough. You could also say the same for the safe, either it's empty or has money and books, and once every blue moon it gives you work boots and jackets, happened many times on the FM safe to me. 

I'd hazard a guess that containers have specific loot groups which they can spawn, that's why you rarely find anything in backpacks for example.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the prybar is worth it as a weapon. You're going to be looking for a heavy hammer, but until you find one or a hacksaw, you are defenseless against wolves. A prybar offers you SOMETHING to defend yourself with besides your bare hands until you can craft meaningful gear or get lucky, which can take in-game weeks.

The best thing (And pretty much only thing) I ever found on lockers in interloper level loot settings is lantern fuel and mittens, thats it. I usually just break down my prybars for scrap as I dont think they would make a good weapon at all since getting in a wolf fight on interloper even with 2 bear coats can be fatal.

Archived