Trapper Hat and Lighter

LilLeprachaun192

I've been playing the single player version of Long Dark and am excited to start playing the open sandbox survival mode. Thus far, I've almost completed episode 2 and have been spending my time collecting everything on the maps and hunting every type of animal. Great job!

Rabbit Skin Trapper's Hat

There are a few suggestions about in-game items that I think would be easy to create and toss in - but I could be wrong. Being a bit of a survivalist in real life, I've always admired the animal options for clothing. That being said, I've been rather disappointed to not see a hat version of any animal clothing. This is easy as in northern US, Canada, and Russia, where climates get as cold as in the game or colder; they all have versions of the trapper's hat. Traditionally, this hat is made with rabbit pelts and can protect against the cold from about -70 to -40 degrees Celsius. The recipe would be easy: sewing kit, rabbit pelt 3-4, 2-3 gut. I don't know how you determine item creation costs, maybe 5-6 if you are more strict on material cost. But this is a great hat.

Lighter

The second item would be something you could find: a lighter. Lighters are pretty nice as they have a built in flint and steel mechanism called a hammer. They also take "lamp oil." Plus, they're light. Although this doesn't guarantee you to light a campfire, it could increase your chances to 90%.

That being said, if you don't add these items, no big deal - it's still a great game and I will enjoy playing many, many more hours.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Peace!

4 hours ago, Morphe said:

About a lighter, there is something similar, a firestriker. It also increases your chances to 90%

Firestriker_icon.png

well, as if he didnt know about that...

it is about adding new items to the game that could make the game more interesting.

The lighter has appeared many times before in the wishlist section, as has the craftable hat. Concerning the lighter, I do not see what it would currently bring to the game - we already have matches and we have the fire striker (which is better for its increased chance of lighting a fire). If the fire lighting mechanics were more refined, maybe a lighter could be the ultimate tool for fire lighting. But currently, I would rather not see it in the game.

The craftable hat is strangely missing from the set of craftable clothes currently in the game. I would expect it to be introduced at some point, maybe with a new animal (beaver, fox, lynx or the like).

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a fire lighter as a firestarter alternative that didn't run out as matches or firestriker do. We have magnifying lens but they work only in sunny weather and their fire starting chance could be significantly reduced. The lighter uses oil instead as a renewable resource with the ultimate starting chance. Maybe it must be repaired on and off with toolbox and scrap metal.

A funny thing there is an internal infinite firestarter inside every oil lamp that we can't use to start fires.

Glad I am not the only one who looked at the oil lamp, with the flame burning inside and said gee, my character must be completely hopeless to not see this as a fire starter. Then again, this is the same person who constantly sprains their wrists walking down a hill.

Have anybody tried or knows if it's possible to actually burn a fire in under the zero conditions on snow/ice with "friction"? Maybe this should be only limited to special fire making spots like barrels, stows, etc. or even indoors only. Limited to an already existing extinguished fires at least (this may look silly but is essentially a fair nerf because makes fire turtling technique against wolves a no go). Probably the absence of a wind or precipitation should be a must too... Make a really low chance of starting a fire and always require tinder no matter the skill to balance things out.

I know fire bows can easily...well, easily for people who are experienced with it.....start a fire in sub zero temperatures, and I know the you can light a fire on snow easily as well. I can't imagine it being a problem for someone who knew what they were doing. On ice you would have a nice stable base...snow would be a little harder but you can pack it down.

Related, I saw this video with a neat way to start a fire

Archived