Base Building

michael25

I would love to see alot of different things put into the game 

#1 simple base building 

eg. blueprints found around the map for small log cabins 

#2 craftable forge big or small to make items needed to build base 

eg. nails, hammer, posts, parts to build a stove, parts to build storage, ammo such as arrow heads and the normal forge items 

#3 trees that can be cut down for base building 

#4 the ablity to make or find a larger bag to carry more items 

#5 debatable) multi player for those who want a companion to survive with 

#6 (POWER) small battery banks or a craftable generator from multiple parts 

eg. the only thing under the hood of a car that can be made out is a battery and every time i see it i think battery bank for lights so i dont need to waste lantern fuel while sorting items in my base camp let us use simple or quality tools to take it out and use it to craft a battery bank

#7 i would also love to see an expanded map 

eg.more places to spawn and/or explore 

#8 this goes along with fellable trees but i go to a clear cut area and the first in my mind is i would love to be able to gather wood and other items from the piles and piles of stacked lumber just laying on the ground with no use for them but to sit the and taunt me 

#9 a vast veriety of wild life to hunt and/or trap 

Welcome and I have added some basic answers under you suggestions.

#1 simple base building
Why we have buildings already?

#2 craftable forge big or small to make items needed to build base
We have forges in Two regions already that make metal items.

#3 trees that can be cut down for base building
yeh harvest trees/logs might be good.

#4 the ablity to make or find a larger bag to carry more items
The moose bag allows this already.

#5 debatable) multi player for those who want a companion to survive with
hrm maybe one day

#6 (POWER) small battery banks or a craftable generator from multiple parts
Batteries found would no doubt be dead, so useless, a craftable generator might be better option if you had the skill (mechanics skill) maybe.

#7 i would also love to see an expanded map
They have released maps (regions) and will probably release more.

#8 this goes along with fellable trees but i go to a clear cut area and the first in my mind is i would love to be able to gather wood and other items from the piles and piles of stacked lumber just laying on the ground with no use for them but to sit the and taunt me
Yeah I think that is due to game balancing. But I guess they could make them so we harvest them but it would take forever unless you had the tools, chainsaws etc. which are not in game.

#9 a vast veriety of wild life to hunt and/or trap  
Yes many gamers have already suggested many animals.

9 hours ago, michael25 said:

trust me i can take critisism about any thing lay it out flat if dont like it

Finally someone who is open to criticism of ideas on the Wishlist Forum, thank you for that; it makes the community feel a lot more at ease :)

Besides agreeing with the points brought up by nicko, I think that this game needs a lot more nature base building; while playing the Long Dark, we rely a lot on human structures such as fishing huts and houses, which makes us feel as if we always have a "safe space" to go to if we are stuck in a blizzard or chased by animals. I would greatly be in favour of having an option in which we can build more than just a snow shelter, more like a hut that you could building with sticks and any strong pieces of wood (cedar or fir limb) that could make a medium sized 'tent'. It would give players an incentive to stay outside a lot more than they usually do, and it gives them time to focus on the nature around them; maybe bringing it with a map that is mostly forest with little to no human structures would help?

Too much reliance on human structures and I feel like this game might lose its charm

On 2/10/2018 at 12:15 PM, michael25 said:

my thoughts exactly let us build i lil more than the snow shelter and we "are" to reliant on prebuilt structures

But to be honest, your idea is that we should be able to build small log cabins , aka similar to the small huts we currently have in the game. What I am saying we should have in the game is we need to have less man-made structures, and more shelters build with minimal resources found in the wilderness.

As my handle would suggest I go out of my way to sleep in non-man made places. Being able to construct the branch/fern bed that is in the ravine and crash-site caves would be great.

I would also agree with the comments above re. improved snow shelters, lean-to's etc. Perhaps having rare-ish trees from which to cut appropriate branches would ease the programming required fro implementation? For example, fir branches would be ideal so fallen fir limbs would indicate the possibility of nearby building-trees (re. akin to moose markings).

On 2018-02-11 at 10:04 PM, private duksworth said:

we should have a feature that we could improve buildings and repair them. I always wished I could tape that hole over in the mountaineers hut with any thing. we cold add maybe skins for insulation or replace broken windows with tarp to stop the wind

Minecraft is not the Long Dark. Give the community the power to modify their environment, and they’ll ask for the ability to build castles.  

Instead, why not just ease gameplay by adding a simple shelter made with branches and fir/cedar limbs ? It would be easy to implement and we wouldn’t have to rely on our man made cabins everytime we play  

8 hours ago, CaveDweller said:

I would also agree with the comments above re. improved snow shelters, lean-to's etc. Perhaps having rare-ish trees from which to cut appropriate branches would ease the programming required fro implementation? For example, fir branches would be ideal so fallen fir limbs would indicate the possibility of nearby building-trees (re. akin to moose markings).

I do not think that a brand new tree would be necessary; why not just use the cedar and fir limbs that we have now? 

I have no particular desire to make log cabins and tree houses, but I definitely agree that some more ability to modify existing structures would be welcome.  I keep tripping over the fact that we can make arrowheads but can't make nails (or just pull them from pallets).  I tend to avoid spending a lot of time on TWM, because it bugs me that I can't slap a deerhide over the hole in the roof - or even just close the shutters on the window.

I would be very much in favour of incremental base 'building' and maintenance like that, especially if it was coupled with building deterioration over time.

Oh I agree re. minimalism, it's just that I like being out in the areas with no man-made structures, only coming back to 'civilisation' to re-supply/loot. Yes caves are supplied, and we have snow shelters, I guess it's a fine line between 'survival' and 'wilderness survival'. In sandbox I enjoy making my own character arc with little regard for the framework supplied through story mode.

@EricTheGreat12 Also agree, I didn't mean to say a new type of tree but rather that select fir trees (as they stand) would become interactive so you could get fresh limbs from them. When making a lean-to fresh limbs with leaf structure in place are required to create a 'matting' to keep out the weather. I guess in the context of the TLD game-world (and not wanting to make everything as 'realistic' as possible - not what the game is about) a simplified implementation may be to allow branches to be picked up as-is, use these to build a framework and then pack snow over the entire thing.

But then the question becomes, "What would a lean-to mechanically provide that a snow shelter doesn't?". This would be a fair point, and in fact as the game stands now there is no defence - snow-shelters fulfil all current need. However, I have this dim and distant hope that regions will open up that have great resources, but no man-made structures, "The Wild" so to speak. FM was a major step in this direction and is one of my favourite regions as a result :)

However, if going into The Wild using cloth to make a simple structure would IMO be unbalanced. With no respite from resource-bleed it would be critical to have options that don't rely on man-made resources. This is indeed a slippery slope though that would in effect open the door to a world of complication (stone arrow heads, stone knives, friction fire making etc. etc.) that is at odds with the current game philosophy.

The final question? Is TLD a 'survival game' or a 'game of survival'? Despite being billed as a 'survival game' I would argue strongly that, with the mechanics as they are, it is in fact a 'game of survival'. By about day 100 most runs are into the daily-grind phase - you have survived, and now it becomes a 'survival game' and it's at this point that the mechanics collapse. As well they should as the game is beautifully designed and should never become a 'survival game'. However, 'survival mini-game'...WEEELLLLLLLL :)

Now a paid expansion called 'Nomad' which implements 'survival game' mechanics? I'd be there in a heartbeat!

On 2/10/2018 at 7:10 AM, nicko said:

Yeah I think that is due to game balancing. But I guess they could make them so we harvest them but it would take forever unless you had the tools, chainsaws etc. which are not in game.

If it is due to game balancing, then I don't think that's a very good reason.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I cut fir/cedar limbs for firewood in the game - it was quite a while ago, though. There are so many sticks lying about for the player to collect, just while they're walking around doing other things, that I haven't found I've needed to make use of the option; and the fire mechanics do not make it advantageous to use logs rather than sticks as fuel. Therefore, I think the ability to harvest the logpiles would probably be equally redundant to your survival needs. But I do agree that it would make sense for us to be able to do this - and the game could do with a rebalancing of fuel availability, whether or not they ever plan to implement it.

8 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

Minecraft is not the Long Dark. Give the community the power to modify their environment, and they’ll ask for the ability to build castles.  

Instead, why not just ease gameplay by adding a simple shelter made with branches and fir/cedar limbs ? It would be easy to implement and we wouldn’t have to rely on our man made cabins everytime we play  

I do not think that a brand new tree would be necessary; why not just use the cedar and fir limbs that we have now? 

im not asking for the ability to build huge things eg. house, large cabin, or "castle" only for the abilty to make small single room cabin like a trailer made from wood and half the size making this game anything like minecraft would really mess up the survival aspect but with that said it is a survival game now in what survival situation would you not want to build a shelter regardless of the size

5 hours ago, CaveDweller said:

Oh I agree re. minimalism, it's just that I like being out in the areas with no man-made structures, only coming back to 'civilisation' to re-supply/loot. Yes caves are supplied, and we have snow shelters, I guess it's a fine line between 'survival' and 'wilderness survival'. 

But then the question becomes, "What would a lean-to mechanically provide that a snow shelter doesn't?". This would be a fair point, and in fact as the game stands now there is no defence - snow-shelters fulfil all current need. However, I have this dim and distant hope that regions will open up that have great resources, but no man-made structures, "The Wild" so to speak. FM was a major step in this direction and is one of my favourite regions as a result :)

Perhaps a shelter that doesn’t require such a large amount of cloth and sticks? I tend to ignore snow shelters most of the time because I want to save my cloth for repairing clothing. 

In terms of what this shelter might provide as benefits, this is what I think would be the biggest challenge. But this is why we are on the forums, to discuss productive and potential new content ;)

And in terms of a more “nature” themed map, perhaps a location with a lot more trees than the Forlorn Muskeg would be nice. Pleasant Valley is good in that regard, except that the Farmhouse is too centralized, therefore the players rely too much on the house as their main base of operations. 

On 2/14/2018 at 10:22 AM, michael25 said:

im not asking for the ability to build huge things eg. house, large cabin, or "castle" only for the abilty to make small single room cabin like a trailer made from wood and half the size making this game anything like minecraft would really mess up the survival aspect but with that said it is a survival game now in what survival situation would you not want to build a shelter regardless of the size

not if shelters already exist. no.

game balance i guess.

Archived