How to shoot a bear without getting mauled

Sito

I agree.  I have not seen bears "heal" after bleeding unless I go in someplace that triggers a save so a car or fishing hut would be safe.  

Moose don't seem to bleed at all and will heal whether you go inside or not.  Only solution for moose is to hit them when they're far away and just keep shooting until they drop.  Took 4 rifle shots for me last night.

As for arrows I heard  if you hit a moose with arrows but don't kill it, it will eventually heal, then eventually, despawn and your arrows  with it, but I have not confirmed.

17 hours ago, greggbert said:

As for arrows I heard  if you hit a moose with arrows but don't kill it, it will eventually heal, then eventually, despawn and your arrows  with it, but I have not confirmed.

I have had this happen

20 hours ago, greggbert said:

Moose don't seem to bleed at all and will heal whether you go inside or not.  Only solution for moose is to hit them when they're far away and just keep shooting until they drop.  Took 4 rifle shots for me last night.

Moose doesn't bleed? I would be much surprised that it is the case. Do anyone else notice this?

If so, that would make no sense at all. It would most probably be an oversight.

Moose do not bleed out. It's not a mistake, it was done on purpose to make them more challenging. I've killed lots of moose at this point, I think I've bagged at least five or six in my current run (tbf he's been running for 431 days now) though at the cost of at least three sets of broken ribs... got stuck up on TWM for ten days or so because of that, I just couldn't climb down. Nearly saw me off. Anyway. The trick to killing moose is to get somewhere like a fallen tree that they can't reach. Unlike pretty much all the other animals when the moose goes into its rage it will continue trying to path to you even if it can't. That'll bring it close and you can put the arrows in until you either take off enough HP for it to croak, or you get the crit that causes it to croak.

Just be sure to pull out the arrows; if you quarter the moose with your arrows still in it they'll be irrevocably destroyed. Learned that one on TWM, it cost me something like eight arrows as I'd turned the little mofo into a pincushion from my perch up in the fallen tree by the wing.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:16 AM, bighara said:

I have heard that the pass time/bleed out trick doesn't work since the Vigilant Flame update. I wonder if the blinds are still safe? Were they ever safe from wolves?

I want a spare bear pelt to keep my sleeping bag in good condition and recently spotted Yogi at Unnamed Pond. I may try the "Blind & Crouch." tactic.

Well you can still pass time and wait for them to bleed out, but it's true that this is not an effective strategy anymore.  Wildlife now speeds up to match the accelerated time, so that bear will most likely be well out of sight if you pass time.  I mean you can still wander aimlessly listening for crows, but it's definitely better now to just track the bear.  They usually end up running in circles (albeit large ones sometimes).

In ML this shouldn't be a problem.  It's small enough that you can canvas the whole region in a day and find your missing lunch.

13 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Well you can still pass time and wait for them to bleed out, but it's true that this is not an effective strategy anymore.  Wildlife now speeds up to match the accelerated time, so that bear will most likely be well out of sight if you pass time.  I mean you can still wander aimlessly listening for crows, but it's definitely better now to just track the bear.  They usually end up running in circles (albeit large ones sometimes).

In ML this shouldn't be a problem.  It's small enough that you can canvas the whole region in a day and find your missing lunch.

The hunter's blind at Unnamed Pond work great. It took me too many shots to drop ol' Yogi (4!) but I got him. When he charged the blind I crouched down and he just growled around outside of it, then when I heard him start to walk, I stood up and took another shot.

From the trapper's cabin in ML I noticed there was a bear nearby ("noticed" actually means "barely ran into the door before being abused"), so I had a plan. I walked out of the door with a stenchload of guts and meat, hopped down onto the rock ledge and prepared some lichen and rosehip. The bear was attracted by the smell and calmly marched to the cabin. Still playing the gargoyle I even dropped a bait for good measure and watched as Chubbermuff climbed the path, then heard it snorting and grunting. I readied the bow and as soon as I saw a big furry head looking down from the cliff I stuck an arrow in it. Even an incompetent archer like me can score a good shot and cause a deep wound at point blank range. The bear started running around making a ruckus, so I took a cooking manual from my pack and studied it for a couple hours, then went back up and went to sleep. The next morning the bear was dead near Max, whoever he was. The arrow was there too.

Archived