Things about TLD you never knew and just realized

Frosty

I have only been playing TLD for a month now so I am learning something new every day but I have realized recently sometimes there is something I have overlooked in some form I thought I should have noticed by now:S

Today I realized the main screen with the cabin advances time throughout the day, has weather effects and widlife and even the Aurora though I could only hear it :wolf:

Another lesson learned while playing was discovering that deployed Mountaineering rope can be taken from the rock if you happen to want to deploy it elsewhere or keep in storage :flaregun:

What have you just discovered in TLD that you didn't know before?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That bears are not as cuddly as I was led to believe from a young kid.

Now on more serious note: probably the last thing I learned which literally blew my mind was a skill of how to distract wolves, using the rocks. It is terribly difficult to scare wolves by hitting them with a stone - but turns out that falling stones create sound, and the wolves like to investigate sounds now. So, you can throw a rock in a certain direction, they will face that way and walk towards it. Amazing way to navigate throughout wolf infested areas. Many thanks to @JAFO who first made me aware of this simple yet so elegant trick.

8 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

I learned which literally blew my mind was a skill of how to distract wolves, using the rocks

A great tip for sure all players should be made aware of :coffee: 

I am still learning to Guage the distance of the wolf's hearing as I often don't throw it far enough and get spotted when making my move :wolf:

2 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

That the scent mechanic attracts predators from further away than you might think.

Absolutely :toque:

Perhaps difficulty determines the sensitivity of their scent ability idk? But on Stalker you have to remain on your toes and always watch for changes in the wind when in the vicinity of wolves, even without any attractive items in your backpack :rabbit:

They will smell you if the wind hits just right:wolf:

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

Now on more serious note: probably the last thing I learned which literally blew my mind was a skill of how to distract wolves, using the rocks.

This also works with bears.  I recently had a bear meandering down a narrow path toward me and veered him off course by throwing some rocks.

After 600 hours in the game, today I noticed the hole in the roof of the TWM Mountaineer Hut.  No wonder it's so cold in there.

Just now, MrWolf said:

This also works with bears.  I recently had a bear meandering down a narrow path toward me and veered him off course by throwing some rocks.

After 600 hours in the game, today I noticed the hole in the roof of the TWM Mountaineer Hut.  No wonder it's so cold in there.

Dont forget the partly opened window, with nothing but a pretty "makeshift" lid on it made of planks that most definitedly let the air through. Or the fact that the doors dont fit the doorframe well, and also has a hole in it. No wonder that location is not very windproof, I would most definitedly patch that roof up, and stuffed moss or even show in throught the holes to seal them off if I could.
And yea, good point with the bears - though I kind of expected that to be obvious, predators act alike. Just wonder, if hitting a bear with a stone counts like an attack and makes them charge. I wonder...

2 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Just wonder, if hitting a bear with a stone counts like an attack and makes them charge. I wonder...

I don't think so.  I've been in a blind where wolves and bears can't reach me.  They charge, then wander around the blind.  I've pelted them with rocks from the blind and the rocks just bounce off with no effect on what the wolf or bear is doing.

34 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Good to know for when I travel up that way, TWM is the one map I have 0 knowledge about :painkillers:

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Many thanks to @JAFO who first made me aware of this simple yet so elegant trick.

You're most welcome, my friend. :)

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

And now I just learned something I didn't know.. in hindsight, it makes perfect sense, but it hadn't occurred to me to try it. So thank you!

Worth noting here.. since this is the case, there's a good chance that just as wolves now do, bears will probably now investigate the sound of car doors closing.. just something to 'bear' in mind.. ;)

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't think so.  I've been in a blind where wolves and bears can't reach me.  They charge, then wander around the blind.  I've pelted them with rocks from the blind and the rocks just bounce off with no effect on what the wolf or bear is doing.

That one you should check when not in the blind. Predators don't react the same when in a "safe zone" like a porch or hunter blind.

Even bait has ceased to work for me if I drop it away from the porch, and then stand on a porch around a house....

Once you are in a safe zone it's like the bait isn't there....

As far as stones go, if a wolf sees you aim a stone at them they react as if you aimed a rifle and charge. I am assuming the same with bears.

You are best off throwing rocks without using the aim button....

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

I am still learning to Guage the distance of the wolf's hearing as I often don't throw it far enough and get spotted when making my move :wolf:

Throw several in a line further and further away. Like throw one near the wolf but away from you in the direction you want him to travel. Then throw another like 10 feet farther than the last one...and so on.

You can't throw them so far apart or far from the wolf that they can't hear it though.

It's a skill that will improve as you practice it.

I've been playing this since it was first out on early access on Xbox. Must have over 400hours in the game.  Im not sure when this was added ,as I never really do any fishing. Except on my last few tries on interloper it came in handy.but I didn't know that ,you get lantern fuel when you cook fish now.:lantern::).

18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You just saw that hole? That was the first thing I noticed going into it :D

That one may use their instincts against them. One of my favorite things to do in the Sandbox version I had been playing was to run to the side or at an angle to get a deer running when a wolf was around. The result would be the wolf taking chase & killing the deer. No (additional) shots fired, and I had the benefit of the "take away" from both a deer and a wolf. It was most efficient and saved on my ammo as well. Since I had the version with only two places available to explore, I thought I might add that this worked best at the Coastal Highway area out on the ice. Also, I found it useful to go up to that overlapping/looking bluff like thing on Misanthrope's House's island to watch for when a wolf would take a deer down. You have a house right there available if the weather should change. 

4 minutes ago, danille said:

You can take the batteries out of the abandoned cars and trucks in the game and place them anywhere outdoors. Not sure what benefit this will bring to the game moving forward.

I used to put them on the roof of cars I'd searched.. that way, even if the game closed the car's hood (which it sometimes does), I'd know I'd already searched the car.

But I thought since Wintermute batteries could no longer be removed? I'll have to check again.

20 hours ago, Thrasador said:

It's a skill that will improve as you practice it.

I'll keep practicing then cus I need it:)

6 hours ago, danille said:

You can take the batteries out of the abandoned cars and trucks in the game and place them anywhere outdoors. Not sure what benefit this will bring to the game moving forward.

I have tried this in Story and Sandbox and can't interact with it do you need tools or the pry bar ? :flaregun:

Archived